PDA

View Full Version : How to put rego on hold for less than 3 months?

guzzi_moto
21st November 2014, 05:09
Is there a way of getting your rego off hold and not having to pay back th whole 3 months?

thanks
d

Waihou Thumper
21st November 2014, 05:24
You ask two entirely different questions here?
To answer your first, of course you can....
To answer the second, of course you can.....wait until 3 months and one day the register it! Simple really.

awa355
21st November 2014, 05:26
Nope, You can however, register for less than 3 months, but cant cancel the 'on hold' without back paying the time the rego was on hold. There was talk on here about getting a day rego but I couldn't find any referrence to it on the nzta website.

Akzle
21st November 2014, 08:25
CVL, fuckarsers. what you describe is vehicle licensing, not registration.

you can apply (beg) for an exemption from CVL - minimum period 3 months.

if you find yourself with a good supply of cash and vaseline, and like it that way, you can choose to apply (beg) for CVL - effective immediately. the latter begging overrides the former.

the day pass, i believe, is for "show vehicles", although by reason, this applies to any vehicles, different form, ask for it at your post office.

nodrog
21st November 2014, 08:56
The form is a MR27, for changing license expiry date.

its for any vehicle.

jonnyk5614
20th June 2015, 00:30
Apply for exemption from licensing
"Sell" vehicle
"Get wife to buy and license vehicle
Get wife to sell vehicle
"Buy" vehicle

Gremlin
20th June 2015, 03:40
The form is a MR27, for changing license expiry date.

its for any vehicle.
That's for a "day licence" as per a post above.

I don't believe you can put a vehicle on hold for less than 3 months. If you do put it on hold, then take it off 2.5 months later, you'll back pay the rego (or whatever we're bloody calling it). You can put it on hold for a year, and take it off after 4 months I think? but as long as it's been on hold continuously for 3 months...

My advice, pay for 6 months... ride it heaps, then buy another 6 :ride:

nodrog
20th June 2015, 10:18
That's for a "day licence" as per a post above.

I don't believe you can put a vehicle on hold for less than 3 months. If you do put it on hold, then take it off 2.5 months later, you'll back pay the rego (or whatever we're bloody calling it). You can put it on hold for a year, and take it off after 4 months I think? but as long as it's been on hold continuously for 3 months...

My advice, pay for 6 months... ride it heaps, then buy another 6 :ride:

I was replying to akwels post referring to registering a show vehicle for a day.

biggo
20th June 2015, 19:45
The minimum time you can put a vehicle on hold is 3 Months however you normally get a reminder to re-register it (MR1) about 3 weeks before its due . If you use this form to register it you get a new rego label that starts from the date that your 3 months hold is up. Does that make sense ? So you effectively get 2-3 weeks rego for free :)

jonnyk5614
21st June 2015, 00:54
The minimum time you can put a vehicle on hold is 3 Months however you normally get a reminder to re-register it (MR1) about 3 weeks before its due . If you use this form to register it you get a new rego label that starts from the date that your 3 months hold is up. Does that make sense ? So you effectively get 2-3 weeks rego for free :)

Really? Or does the rego expiry just end up being 3 months from when you put it on hold?

I once put my Stag on hold, only to re-license it online 2 months later. The three months license started from when I put the rego on hold....

Gremlin
21st June 2015, 01:05
If that's the case (rego starts from that point), then those 2-3 weeks it's actually on hold.

awa355
21st June 2015, 08:49

This happened to me. I put the car on hold 22 Nov for 3 months. 20th? Jan, I needed the car so went in expecting to back pay from the 22 Nov. Instead I got a new label good for 3 months from the 21st Feb-21 May.(4 weeks ahead). I pointed out the 4 weeks between then and the 21 Feb, they said, 'nope, the computer says you are licenced till May22.
In May I went back for another 3 months expecting to get told I owed them for a month. Got another label from May22. so somehow I seem to have gained a months grace. :banana::banana:

awa355
21st June 2015, 08:56
If that's the case (rego starts from that point), then those 2-3 weeks it's actually on hold.

I see your point, I told the woman at the NZTA office that I needed my vehicle legal from the 20 Jan, she said you are legal now till the label expires. (in reality, 4 months time, not 3). The re licence label only states when it expires, not when it is issued.

I still think she was wrong, but that is what the computer system came up with.

biggo
21st June 2015, 09:41
Really? Or does the rego expiry just end up being 3 months from when you put it on hold?

I once put my Stag on hold, only to re-license it online 2 months later. The three months license started from when I put the rego on hold....

As long as you use the ( MR1) form that you get sent by NZTA you get the extra time. If you go into an agent and use the handwritten ( MR1A) form you miss out I believe

scumdog
21st June 2015, 11:56
More half-truths and suppositions on this thread than most other KB threads - and that's saying something.<_<

Disclaimer: But not by ALL the posters.

ICE180
21st June 2015, 15:47
what to remember is that if you put rego on hold for only 3 months and go back say 4 months later
you will have to pay the month that the "On Hold " period ended I always do 6 months and after 3 months I can start the rego any time I want and only pay from that date

Tazz
22nd June 2015, 16:23
what to remember is that if you put rego on hold for only 3 months and go back say 4 months later
you will have to pay the month that the "On Hold " period ended I always do 6 months and after 3 months I can start the rego any time I want and only pay from that date

This is correct. Getting a month free on the other page is not. They would have put it on hold for longer.

It is only within the first 3 months that the problem of back paying occurs, so to be safe I always select 12 months. I do it as soon as I buy licencing (usually online) just in case I stop using the vehicle and forget to sort it out, but usually when I next buy licensing I do the same thing and it never actaully goes on hold, because that only happens once it expires ;)

The 3 month back pay thing is a bit of a money grab that some clever bean counting fawker had the idea for. Not many people will have their vehicle off the road for longer than that.

russd7
22nd June 2015, 21:45
This is correct. Getting a month free on the other page is not..

don't know about a month but i have had a couple of weeks on more than one occasion, you don't need to wait till the last day of the hold period but i always get them to check before i buy so to speak.

Tazz
22nd June 2015, 22:02
don't know about a month but i have had a couple of weeks on more than one occasion, you don't need to wait till the last day of the hold period but i always get them to check before i buy so to speak.
Khants! I've done it heaps and not even once.

Big Dog
23rd June 2015, 07:58
One time I paid to take the DR off hold because the Hayabusa was in dire need o tyres.

It six days was past three months since I put it on hold so figured no drama.
Nope. I had put it on hold seven days after the label expired. So when I got to the last screen I notice I had just paid $130 for 1 day of registration. That day. Which only had 4 hours or so left.
Fuckers. I rang up to see what was going. No they couldn't roll it back and let me pay again tommorow.

Apparently I already had some days carried over from other hold periods.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Hugo Nougo
23rd June 2015, 08:48
For years I have been taking advantage of the fact that you can register a vehicle with rego on hold from 1 month before the hold finishes, without paying back dated fees. I often have multiple vehicles and am happy to alternate there use.

Good point is the hold starts from the day you put it on hold, not the rego expiration date, from said expiration date you get 1 month and then a warning notice, 1 month after the warning notice and your fucked, you then owe rego fees backdated to the original rego expiration and can't put it on hold without paying these first.

I never allow it to go beyond 1 month.

The MR27 form only allows you to specify an expiration date (up to 15 months), the rego still has to conform to being current or on hold with any fees outstanding paid at time of application.

I also do it all online, no hassle then.