PDA

View Full Version : Possible damage?

00quattro00
22nd November 2014, 17:56
Let a mate of mine take my bike (honda cb600 ) for a ride down the road, he ended up running out of road at the end of the cul de sac and ended up in the shrubs. It has broken the mirror and the instrument cluster, handle bar looks bent on the left hand side. Is there any chance it could have damaged anything else?

Also where is the best place to get parts from and roughly how much is it going to cost?

TIA

nzspokes
22nd November 2014, 18:15
Very much so. Take it to Botany Honda to be checked out. Your mate is in for a big bill to pay.

bogan
22nd November 2014, 18:18
Is there any chance it could have damaged anything else?

The shrubbery?

nodrog
22nd November 2014, 18:19
pics plz

00quattro00
22nd November 2014, 18:21
Very much so. Take it to Botany Honda to be checked out. Your mate is in for a big bill to pay.
Do they have an alignment jig or something to check it on? I did suggest it maybe cheaper for him to buy a replacement and sell the wrecked one off as parts

BMWST?
22nd November 2014, 18:21
this is the classic tale of..you bend it you mend it

00quattro00
22nd November 2014, 18:22
pics plz

00quattro00
22nd November 2014, 18:25
this is the classic tale of..you bend it you mend it
Pretty much exactly what I said befor he got on

nzspokes
22nd November 2014, 18:25
Do they have an alignment jig or something to check it on? I did suggest it maybe cheaper for him to buy a replacement and sell the wrecked one off as parts

They do insurance jobs all the time and the mechanic will be able to check all that. Being a Honda dealer they will have the specs.

Wont be easy to find one in good shape these days.

00quattro00
22nd November 2014, 18:27
They do insurance jobs all the time and the mechanic will be able to check all that. Being a Honda dealer they will have the specs.

Wont be easy to find one in good shape these days.
Thanks, it pisses me right off, was a really nice bike that had never been crashed or dropped before and had just got a new wof this morning and rego

mossy1200
22nd November 2014, 18:35
Thanks, it pisses me right off, was a really nice bike that had never been crashed or dropped before and had just got a new wof this morning and rego

Don't let mates ride your bikes.

nzspokes
22nd November 2014, 18:35

Well on a positive note, Im interested in the motor. Could do with a spare.

00quattro00
22nd November 2014, 18:39
Well on a positive note, Im interested in the motor. Could do with a spare.
I will let you what happens

bogan
22nd November 2014, 18:40

Oh, I got another one; the friendship?

Seriously though, fuck all we can do without more info, pics or speed estimates at least.

Mike.Gayner
22nd November 2014, 19:08

You have no right to be pissed off. This is exactly the kind of thing you should take account of before letting someone ride your bike.

Personally, unlike some I DO let my buddies/family ride my bikes. But I understand there is some probability of it being crashed, and I'm OK with that. If you aren't OK with that, don't lend your bike.

FJRider
22nd November 2014, 19:21

It's a 15 year old bike. To make that claim .. you would have to have bought it brand spanking new.

Did you buy it new ... ???

And ... is your mate happy to pay for the repairs ... ???

Oakie
22nd November 2014, 19:32
Two things I don't lend.
1 > My wife
2 > My bike

... and not necessarliy in that order!

nzspokes
22nd November 2014, 19:41
Two things I don't lend.
1 > My wife
2 > My bike

I tried to lend my wife. But she came back. :facepalm:

00quattro00
22nd November 2014, 19:42
Yea lesson learned. He is paying for the repairs/replacement and beers. Hes ok, just a few scrapes and a sore hip

Mom
22nd November 2014, 20:17
The shrubbery?

Your excess?

yoyo 2wheels
22nd November 2014, 20:41
why didnt you have a camera recording?! lol
mint ya mates ok and hes a GC about it tho, i dont even let people that are good riders ride my bike unless theyv got the $$ in my hand...

carburator
22nd November 2014, 21:09
More likey
1. My chainsaw
2. My shotgun
3. My bike.. The missues..

Two things I don't lend.
1 > My wife
2 > My bike

KIPS powervalve
22nd November 2014, 21:38
The forks? They take the brunt of pretty much everything when one is decelerating

00quattro00
23rd November 2014, 08:46
Heres some pics

nzspokes
23rd November 2014, 08:57
Kinda looks like the forks are bent. Looking like a write off to me.

Waihou Thumper
23rd November 2014, 09:02
How the hell did the seat get ripped like that? :no:

haydes55
23rd November 2014, 09:26
Will that tank fit an '05 CB919 hornet? My mate needs a not dented to fuck tank. Get the bike assessed properly. Might be better parting it out and buying another. Probably only a $3000 bike to start with anyway. You might be able to sell some stuff for a couple grand anyway (it might take a few years to sell parts off it).

00quattro00
23rd November 2014, 09:53
Yea looks like its going to be replaced, now i need to decide if i buy another or something different

Brett
23rd November 2014, 10:07

TIA

Your mates ego...and bank balance?

Although to be fair, as stated by others, you lend a motorcycle to someone else knowing the risks.

bogan
23rd November 2014, 10:20
Get a straight-edge on them forks to check, but otherwise it looks like all that shit will just buff out.

BlackSheepLogic
23rd November 2014, 14:12
Plastics can be hard to come by and they are expensive. On a 3K bike I would not worry about them scratches.

Get a straight-edge on them forks to check, but otherwise it looks like all that shit will just buff out.

FJRider
23rd November 2014, 14:42
Plastics can be hard to come by and they are expensive. On a 3K bike I would not worry about them scratches.

I notice no mention of insurance companies being involved ... :scratch:

A common reason for 3k bikes getting written off ... is fairing repairs/replacement costs ... <_<

jasonu
23rd November 2014, 14:53
Two things I don't lend.
1 > My wife
2 > My bike

More likey
1. My chainsaw
2. My shotgun

As above plus I will not lend my toothbrush either.

Swoop
23rd November 2014, 16:02
The shrubbery?
The Knights who demanded it?

00quattro00
25th November 2014, 14:25
It has been dropped off at botany honda, they said from a quick look it seems ok but will know for certain on Thursday. Still trying to track down the parts req, any suggestions on who to call? The instrument cluster is proving the hardest to find

rastuscat
25th November 2014, 16:05
More likey

Giz a ride :laugh: on ya bike, not ya missus.

breakaway
25th November 2014, 16:05
Wouldn't surprise me if it was a write-off. Looks like its missing the headlight/gauge cluster plus damage to plastic parts. All these parts are super expensive.

Banditbandit
25th November 2014, 16:09
Two things I don't lend.
1 > My wife
2 > My bike

Yeah - they never come back the same ...

Seat ??? That wasn't ripped, that was gone completely !!!

carburator
25th November 2014, 16:45
Giz a ride :laugh: on ya bike, not ya missus.

Sure, bring cash and balls the size of titanium coconuts 300whp she's quick...

haydes55
25th November 2014, 17:09
It has been dropped off at botany honda, they said from a quick look it seems ok but will know for certain on Thursday. Still trying to track down the parts req, any suggestions on who to call? The instrument cluster is proving the hardest to find

Look at ebay for aftermarket gauge clusters. My mate got one, wired it up himself (took him aaaaages but it got done, he's slow though). Cost him about $500 for a very nice one.

00quattro00
11th December 2014, 14:16
Its been at botany honda for over two weeks now and they have done sfa, so he is going to pick it up from them and ill do it myself,

Big Dog
11th December 2014, 14:56
The key here is why have they done nothing? If it is insurance thing you may find you are seconds away from a green light when you arrive to take I back.

I had a bike needing repairs, Red Baron were taking too long. I went to see the service manager.
Seems that they were still waiting
On payment for the assessment before they proceeded to price or order the parts. The assessment was only free if 50% of the quoted work was carried out.
Assessment fee became a deposit if you will on future work. Saves them employing someone for half a day tracking down part numbers for stuff you may turn around and say " too much" about.

Ask.
If they tell you something you are not happy about take it from there. I just wouldn't go charging in with a trailer just because you have not had a call yet.

Ps, I assume from your post you have yet to discuss timelines with them.
Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

00quattro00
11th December 2014, 15:44
They were supposed to have done it this week but when i called today they said they were too busy and might get to it next week. Seeing as it only needs about 3hrs of work they must either be extremely busy or fucking useless,

Oakie
11th December 2014, 15:47
Its been at botany honda for over two weeks now and they have done sfa, so he is going to pick it up from them and ill do it myself,

Not time to get your tights in a tangle yet. May not be their fault. If insurance has even approved the work they may have parts on a slow boat from Japan. Find out what the story is and then make a decision if you're not happy. As my boss says to me "always make sure you know what you're dealing with".

Big Dog
11th December 2014, 16:57
They were supposed to have done it this week but when i called today they said they were too busy and might get to it next week. Seeing as it only needs about 3hrs of work they must either be extremely busy or fucking useless,

Smaller shops get behind really quick because they cannot afford to say no to work. It only takes one 3 hour job to turn into a nightmare.
Bigger shops IME are usually better at meeting time expectations... but at a cost.

First few weeks of summer I expect they are busier than paper hangers and some (or a lot ) of that work will be meeting contractual commitments with bigger customers like farm users getting their business equipment serviced under contract.

It sucks but it happens.

Explain any need for rush and see where that gets you.

Big Dog
11th December 2014, 17:02
Smaller shops get behind really quick because they cannot afford to say no to work. It only takes one 3 hour job to turn into a nightmare.
Bigger shops IME are usually better at meeting time expectations... but at a cost.

First few weeks of summer I expect they are busier than paper hangers and some (or a lot ) of that work will be meeting contractual commitments with bigger customers like farm users getting their business equipment serviced under contract.

It sucks but it happens.

Explain any need for rush and see where that gets you.
Also best you speak to the service manager, not the mech.
IF he is stressed his answers may be less than accurate or helpful, a service manager should be able to give you realistic answers.

FJRider
11th December 2014, 17:19
Also best you speak to the service manager, not the mech.
IF he is stressed his answers may be less than accurate or helpful, a service manager should be able to give you realistic answers.

Service managers give company policy time frames. Seldom realistic.

Most Motorcycle workshops run on first in ... first worked on. (Unless YOU are special)

nzspokes
11th December 2014, 19:22

It may have slipped your attention but this small event coming up in a couple of weeks may have them a bit busy at the moment.

What are they doing that only takes 3 hours?

Big Dog
11th December 2014, 19:27
Honda farm vehicles used to get preferential treatment at Honda franchises.

A cocky I used to know reckoned the station was all Honda because if they had to get a major fixed they had right deadlines to get it operational.

Do they not anymore?

BlackSheepLogic
12th December 2014, 08:08
Honda farm vehicles used to get preferential treatment at Honda franchises

With cars in the past my wife has been given preference by the dealers workshop where she purchased the car from.

mynemesis
12th December 2014, 15:19
So no one pulled out on him, or threw diesel on the road in front of him or something similarly unavoidable? Just too much speed and not enough skill, on someone elses bike!?

When I was a teen I had an old yamaha RD (was my pride and joy at the time) that I taught a few mates to ride on. One of them had a bad habit of raping the revs deep into redline.....we aint mates no more.

Big Dog
12th December 2014, 16:49
So no one pulled out on him, or threw diesel on the road in front of him or something similarly unavoidable? Just too much speed and not enough skill, on someone elses bike!?

Depending on his speed, skill level, mental attitude and alertness he may not have had time to brake. :rofl:

jasonu
12th December 2014, 19:39
If he ran out of road it sounds like he has never ridden a bike before or knows how to use the brakes. Why risk lending such a big bike to someone who is an inexperienced rider or only experienced in a very much smaller bike.

I wouldn't lend you my bike because from what you have said on KB you crash a lot.

G4L4XY
14th December 2014, 06:39

Least you can sell it with a WOF n REG ;)

17th December 2014, 10:02

Probably swallowed it with his rectum when he braked hard for the shrubs :msn-wink: