PDA

View Full Version : Pro Biker legislation passed in the US

Pixie
14th September 2005, 15:47
Washington, D.C. - (MCNW) A bill to close the current health insurance discriminatory loophole has been passed by the United States Senate. This legislation, S.423 Health Care Parity for Legal Transportation, was authored by Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME) and Sen. Russ Feingold (D-WI). The Motorcycle Riders Foundation would like to thank every SMRO that raveled to Washington, DC to lobby for this legislation since the 108th Congress began in January of 2002. Without the dedication and commitment of these individuals and organizations, this measure certainly would not have passed.

The very last bill to pass before the Senate adjourned at 12:30 AM Sunday, November 21st; this legislation will prohibit health plans from refusing coverage based on the source of the injury.

Pixie
14th September 2005, 15:50
June 9, 2005

Washington DC - (MCNW) The American Motorcyclist Association reports that a bipartisan bill to end health-care discrimination against motorcyclists and ATVers has been introduced in the U.S. House.

U.S. Reps. Michael Burgess (R-Texas) and Ted Strickland (D-Colo.) on June 8 introduced H.R. 2793 -- "The HIPAA Recreational Injury Technical Correction Act" -- would bar health-care discrimination against those who take part in legal transportation and recreational activities such as motorcycling, ATV riding, snowmobiling, or horseback riding.

U.S. Sens. Susan Collins (R-Maine) and Russ Feingold (D-Wis.) introduced similar legislation in the Senate: S. 577, "The HIPAA Recreational Injury Technical Correction Act."

The measures are in response to action taken by federal bureaucrats that legalized health-insurance discrimination against riders and others.

"It's shameful to allow health insurers to discriminate against individuals who take part in perfectly legal hobbies and activities" Strickland said. "According to this rule, a person injured while drinking and driving would be covered by their health insurance, but an individual who falls from a motorcycle may not. It just makes no sense."

Burgess added: "The development of this bill could not have been possible without bipartisan congressional support and the hard work of the American Motorcyclist Association. I look forward to working alongside the AMA to get this legislation passed into law.''

On August 21, 1996, President Clinton signed into law the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) to prohibit employers from denying health care coverage based on a worker's pre-existing medical conditions or participation in legal activities, such as motorcycling.

But later federal bureaucrats reversed the law, writing rules to allow health-insurance discrimination against motorcyclists and others who engage in legal activities like ATV riding, or horseback riding.

The AMA was outraged when federal bureaucrats went against the will of Congress and immediately lobbied Congress to right this wrong. Others involved in the effort include the BlueRibbon Coalition, Motorcycle Riders Foundation, ABATE of Wisconsin, ABATE of Ohio, the American Council of Snowmobile Associations, and the American Horse Council.

"This loophole written by federal bureaucrats must be changed," said Ed Moreland, AMA vice president for government relations. "We need all AMA and ATVA members and all motorcyclists to contact the members of their congressional delegations to support legislation to fix this."

Motu
14th September 2005, 16:10
States often reverse helmet laws too - forward thinking our American friends...should we follow them?

Waylander
14th September 2005, 16:15
States often reverse helmet laws too - forward thinking our American friends...should we follow them?
Kinda a double edged sword. On the one hand we would have more free choice on how to live our lives, on the other most peaple are too stupid not to have others tell them how to stay alive.

Ixion
14th September 2005, 16:20
Speaking of reverse laws

Does anyone know what the leagal position is about driving a car in reverse, but going the "right" way ? ie, in reverse, but facing backwards, so the movement is actually in the same direction as the other traffic which is moving normally. (For simpliciaty, assume in daylight.)

Just wondering :whistle:

Lou Girardin
14th September 2005, 16:29
Speaking of reverse laws

Does anyone know what the leagal position is about driving a car in reverse, but going the "right" way ? ie, in reverse, but facing backwards, so the movement is actually in the same direction as the other traffic which is moving normally. (For simpliciaty, assume in daylight.)

Just wondering :whistle:

You could face variety of charges depending on the nature of you're driving.
Careless, inconsiderate, dangerous etc.

Ixion
14th September 2005, 16:38
You could face variety of charges depending on the nature of you're driving.
Careless, inconsiderate, dangerous etc.

Well, let's assume it is very careful, considerate, and (it seems to me) not inherently dangerous. Is there actually any law against it

Motu
14th September 2005, 17:21
It's often done with forkhoists,drive them backswards to put the steering wheels to the front.The main problem would be lighting - I know you said during the day,but no red lights facing forward,no white to the rear....indicators and brake lights would stuff that rule.

rogson
14th September 2005, 18:53
In NZ we have ACC. This is a "social contract" between all NZers that spreads the costs of accidents throughout the population regardless of the risk of individual activities. Do you want to undermine that? - not me!

Warren
14th September 2005, 19:38
It's often done with forkhoists,drive them backswards to put the steering wheels to the front.The main problem would be lighting - I know you said during the day,but no red lights facing forward,no white to the rear....indicators and brake lights would stuff that rule.

Forklifs have to drive the correct way when driving on roads and not backwards (but I have not seen many forklifts driving on the road). I was told this by a forklift training instructor. Forklifts are normally driven in reverse when the load on the forks is too high and obstructs the drivers view as driving a forklift in reverse is often easier than forwards.

Hitcher
14th September 2005, 20:27
Odd that you should mention this. One of my recurring dreams involves me driving cars in reverse rather than forwards. The reason is never explained, and I am apparently surprisingly adept at it.