PDA

View Full Version : 12V DC/DC USB chargers

BlackSheepLogic
30th November 2014, 09:44
A little different type of product review, more of a comparison of these ubiquitous devices.

Inside my tank bag I have a SAE socket which is powered from the powerlet socket on my bike.

One of the uses for the SAE socket in my tank bag is to power/charge my phone and other USB devices I have with me. There are SAE to USB DC/DC converters available but they are quite expensive and dealers who carry these had them back ordered when I last checked.

The quickest (and probably cheapest) option is to use a SAE to automotive 12V socket and use a USB DC/DC converter which are readily available for in-car use. There are several different cable options to provide multiple 12V sockets but I’ve opted for only a single 12V socket to save room in my tank bag and the cable is also cheaper.

From left to right:
No-Name EB-IPUC05 dual USB charger rated at 2.1A with an input of 12V/24V. This is the cheapest USB charger, has two USB sockets which share a single supply. I do not recommend this USB charger as there are some issues I found with them.

They are very short and actually too short to fit the SAE to 12V socket adapter. They do however work with a standard car 12V socket.
If seated fully in a car 12V socket they just make contact and work, the connection is not robust and vibration causes these to move a little resulting in intermittent problems where they stop working. In the car this is annoying, out of sight in a tank bag this is a real problem.
They do not have an indicator led to tell you if they are working or not. Given the issues with the socket connection not having an indicator led make these a unreliable source of USB power.
The build quality is OK but I don’t have a lot of confidence in them lasting long inside a tank bag.

Belkin F8J002 single USB charger rated at 2.1A with an input of 12V. This was the most expensive and only has a single USB socket. It is short but longer than the EB-IPUC05. There is no issue with it making a good connection in the socket and it has an indicator light to show it is receiving power.

I have made several long trips within this in the tank bag, it has not worked itself lose and has been a very reliable USB charger. The build quality feels quite good and the leaf springs hold it firmly in place. It’s really only negatives are price and only having a single USB socket.

MOKI MUSBCB dual port USB charger. Split ports 1.0A and 2.4A with an input of 12/24V. This was mid priced between the No-Name and Belkin. It is much longer than the other two, there are no problems making a good connection, and it also lights up to show it is receiving power & working.

I have not made as many trips with this USB charger as I only recently purchased it. The connection feels firm and having two independent USB charging ports is a big plus. The phone charges OK on the 1.0A socket and I have the faster charging 2.4A port for another device (my spare BT headset or portable GPS etc).

How well this hold up on the bike I really can’t tell at the moment. The case is very thin light plastic but the spring connectors which hold it in place and make contact with the 12V power supply seem like a better design than the other two.

For the moment this is my preferred USB charger as it meets my needs, was reasonably priced, has been reliable, dual independent ports. Assuming it continues to hold up to the riggers of life in a tank bag I think it represents the best value and most practicality of the USB chargers I’ve tested.

mossy1200
30th November 2014, 09:49
I found a usb port with clock for the café racer for $15 but when I went to purchase it freight was 80 grr. Amazon strikes again. No warning until the purchase page. Lucky I noticed it.

BlackSheepLogic
2nd January 2015, 07:18
quick update while I'm thinking about this.

I have now used the MOKI MUSBCB dual port USB charger several times on the bike and really impressed with it. No issues at all with the connection becoming lose in the bag while riding. A 2.4A port for quick charging while the 1A port keeps my phone phone fully charged.