PDA

View Full Version : Raglan Surfing competition

Waylander
14th September 2005, 23:20
Something I thought might be interesting to go watch. Anybody know the details about it? Like when is it, what time does it start, how long does it last and does it cost just to watch. Thought it would be a good way to get my brother out and about around NZ aswell.

Gremlin
14th September 2005, 23:21
That's competition to you... :lol:

I didn't know that word had been americanised as well...

Waylander
14th September 2005, 23:26
That's competition to you... :lol:

I didn't know that word had been americanised as well...
I'm drunk so bugger off.:bleh:

EDIT: Happy now?

Gremlin
14th September 2005, 23:29
oh thankee, I feel soooo much better now. Now I can go to sleep knowing the world is safe from bad spelling :rofl: :zzzz:

Waylander
14th September 2005, 23:52
Found it I think.

http://www.surf.co.nz/newsletters/mayhem_article.asp?newsletterId=3246&archive=

You know, something on that site is madeningly familiar. Where's Gamgee at?

Waylander
14th September 2005, 23:53
Found it I think.

http://www.surf.co.nz/newsletters/mayhem_article.asp?newsletterId=3246&archive=

Nah wait, that one was in march.

THIS (http://www.surf2surf.com/story.php?story=300) is the one I wanted.

N4CR
14th September 2005, 23:59
Found it I think.

http://www.surf.co.nz/newsletters/m...d=3246&archive=

Nah wait, that one was in march.

THIS (http://www.surf2surf.com/story.php?story=300) is the one I wanted.

Hmm.. I think its time we stopped seeing your freaky spilt personality and you went and slept it off.

You are as bad as gollum/smeagol.

And no triumps do not look like 6r's.... they look like an amalgamation of rsv, r6, 600rr etc etc. It dont even have wavy brake discs.

Waylander
15th September 2005, 00:00
Hmm.. I think its time we stopped seeing your freaky spilt personality and you went and slept it off.

You are as bad as gollum/smeagol.

And no triumps do not look like 6r's.... they look like an amalgamation of rsv, r6, 600rr etc etc. It dont even have wavy brake discs.
Might think differently tomorrow about that bike but for right now, quit hijackin my thread.:bleh:

Drunken Monkey
21st October 2005, 07:39
I'm heading down there shortly hopefully to take some photos. The weather looks iffy, I'll be in my cage...

crashe
21st October 2005, 07:50
Friday (today) they (the world champs) are surfing at Raglan....
and on Saturday, they are surfing out at Piha - West Auckland.

R6_kid
21st October 2005, 11:29
check the front page of the Herald... there was a 1520kg 'juvenile' Great White Caught 10km from Raglan Beach...

Had a 90kg seal in its tum tum, swallowed it whole too :whistle:

SlowHand
21st October 2005, 12:15
I woulda been in, but some people have to work. Def doing Piha. Shouldnt cost anything, but good luck finding a spot!

crashe
21st October 2005, 12:23
check the front page of the Herald... there was a 1520kg 'juvenile' Great White Caught 10km from Raglan Beach...

Had a 90kg seal in its tum tum, swallowed it whole too :whistle:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10351324

Fishermen haul in great white shark

By Simon O'Rourke

She was only a juvenile but the great white shark caught in a net off Raglan was a monster.

And a hungry one at that.

An autopsy yesterday showed the female shark, with a 3.4m girth, had an intact 90kg fur seal inside its stomach.

The shark, which became tangled up in commercial fisherman Warrick Harris' set-net, was brought in to Raglan Harbour on The Reaper late on Wednesday night.

After cutting off the shark's head and tail, a 10-tonne front-end loader was used to transport the carcass for weighing at the Raglan Sport Fishing Club.

"Even then it blew the scales. It wasn't even off the deck," said Raglan Hotel owner Jeff Holloway.

"That'll keep the boys on their toes," he added, a reference to the contest starting today involving four of the world's best surfers at Raglan's Manu Bay.

Mr Harris said he knew there was something different when he was pulling in his set-net, 11km northwest of Raglan.

"It was like a tug of war. The rope had done a half-hitch around its head and got tangled up a bit.

"If it had shown signs of life we probably would have let it go.

"It certainly looked like Jaws when we first saw it."

Mr Harris said the marine monster probably went a long way to explaining the fall in numbers of rare Hector dolphins - which had been blamed on commercial fishermen.

"Hector dolphins would be Mellow-puffs to something like that," he said.

Mr Harris was keeping the jaws, which he estimated could be worth up to $20,000.

Department of Conservation marine scientist Clinton Duffy said the most fascinating aspect of the shark was its young age in comparison to its size.

The exact age would be known after bone analysis, but it was safe to say it was relatively young, as the uterus and eggs in its ovaries had not fully developed.

Two weeks ago, Mr Duffy and a Niwa biologist examined a male great white caught near the Chatham Islands that weighed 853kg.

He said two great whites caught within a fortnight of each other did not mean there was an increased prevalence of sharks in New Zealand waters.

There were between 10-12 sightings of great whites a year.

"This year has been no different to the last 10 years or so," said Mr Duffy.

Globally the species were thought to be threatened, he said.

Yesterday, a surfing class at Raglan Area School listened as world surfing icons Andy Irons, Sunny Garcia, Joel Parkinson and Mark Occhilupo considered what they would meet in Raglan's waters.

"It's at the back of my head. I heard they caught a really big one out here," Irons said.

"You've got to always make sure you keep close to the rocks."

surfchick
21st October 2005, 13:09
watching the comps is free. just grab a rock (rags) or a spot on the sand (orks)

Drunken Monkey
21st October 2005, 13:49
Sadly where the champs were surfing it was as flat as a pancake, at least while I was there this morning. I took a whole 1 photo of that water-skier's paradise.
The locals obviously knew where the surf was - a couple of bays around I found where the action was at. A few pics attached;

Waylander
21st October 2005, 16:40
Forgot all about this. Ohwell both me and my brother had work anyway and apparently wasn't that great. Maybe next year aye....

750Y
21st October 2005, 18:39
:psst: This is probably everyone's last chance to see an all time surfing legend.
This is Occy 's last year on the circuit & he's still up there! unreal! he's done it all! To put it in perspective, he was the man back in 1985. he was just this short stocky kid from oz with a funny name & voice & raw talent to burn. he shot straight to the top, blowing everyone's minds & giving generations of surfers something to aspire to. still makes me smile watching him do his thing...
:not: