PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a new chainsaw. Can anyone recommend something?

Gareth123
11th December 2014, 18:33
I'm looking to spend around $400. It doesn't need to be big, it will only chop smallish logs for firewood.

All it needs to do is start every time I want to go and use it. Even if it hasn't been used in a few months.

My current one is a 30 year old Poulan which was temperamental at best and now completely shagged.

FJRider
11th December 2014, 18:39
http://www.madsens1.com/saw_raceprep.htm

Gareth123
11th December 2014, 18:41
http://www.madsens1.com/saw_raceprep.htm

Holy shit! How fast would one of those things get though a 1 foot diameter log?

pete376403
11th December 2014, 18:41
If you are cutting close to the house or shed then electric ones could be considered - I've got a Ryobi that cuts 150 - 180MM dia fine, and of course it starts every time. Quieter than petrol powered too

ellipsis
11th December 2014, 18:42
...the Stihl shop in Chch has reduced the cost of their stuff. For a hundred bucks more you could own a trouble free saw for life...

Gareth123
11th December 2014, 18:46
If you are cutting close to the house or shed then electric ones could be considered - I've got a Ryobi that cuts 150 - 180MM dia fine, and of course it starts every time. Quieter than petrol powered too

I was considering one of those but I do occasionally chop wood away from a power source. Do you reckon one of those would run off a 1000w inverter when it was under load?

...the Stihl shop in Chch has reduced the cost of their stuff. For a hundred bucks more you could own a trouble free saw for life...

Are stihl saws really that good? I looked at them on their website but most of their gear was way outta my price range. I might check out their shop tomorrow. I've gotta make a trip into town anyway.

ellipsis
11th December 2014, 18:47
Are stihl saws really that good?

...pretty much...

Tazz
11th December 2014, 18:51

http://img.pandawhale.com/82287-Starsky-Hutch-DO-IT-meme-PQXx.jpeg

Orrrr a friend in Chch got one from a Stihl shop up norf that was cheaper, including freight. Local shop wasn't interested in matching price. Would have been 400-600 (or under a grand for sure if my memory is rough). Hunt around, but get a decent one and you'll get 30 more years plus out of it all going well.

Swoop
11th December 2014, 18:53
Sadly I am unable to recommend McCulloch petrol chainsaws.
Avoid at ALL costs.*

I currently have an electric and it is superb for around home! Have bowled over an 8mtr high banksia tree (and a few more as well) without a hassle in the world!:banana:

* Unless you like fucking around with pieces of crap that are temper mental bitches that do not like operating.

R650R
11th December 2014, 18:53
Anything should start first time if you give it fresh petrol and a clean spark plug...

Got a Poulan here too, they deserve their rubbish reputation but hey they are cheap!

Gareth123
11th December 2014, 19:00
Anything should start first time if you give it fresh petrol and a clean spark plug...

Got a Poulan here too, they deserve their rubbish reputation but hey they are cheap!

Unfortunately mine has really spat the dummy. Fuel filter fell off/disintergrated, clogged carb and on top of that it's not producing a nice spark. I'm over it. I'll give it back to my Dad when I get a new one.

Gareth123
11th December 2014, 19:01
Sadly I am unable to recommend McCulloch petrol chainsaws.
Avoid at ALL costs.*

I currently have an electric and it is superb for around home! Have bowled over an 8mtr high banksia tree (and a few more as well) without a hassle in the world!:banana:

* Unless you like fucking around with pieces of crap that are temper mental bitches that do not like operating.

Cheers man. Thats 2 recommendations for an electric. I'll have to have a look at them tomorrow as well.

Tazz
11th December 2014, 19:09
Cheers man. Thats 2 recommendations for an electric. I'll have to have a look at them tomorrow as well.

Cords get annoying/dangerous when you're halfway up a tree, in the rain. That said there is one in the garage here.

FJRider
11th December 2014, 19:40
Holy shit! How fast would one of those things get though a 1 foot diameter log?

Quicker than it took YOU to post that ... :killingme

Akzle
11th December 2014, 19:47
1) do a fuken search.
2) ms260 ish

skippa1
11th December 2014, 19:56
Good idea to check em out, they are very cost effective, sweet for firewood and surprisingly grunty. Cord is no issue unless you're a clumsy gump

Grubber
11th December 2014, 20:00
I was considering one of those but I do occasionally chop wood away from a power source. Do you reckon one of those would run off a 1000w inverter when it was under load?

Are stihl saws really that good? I looked at them on their website but most of their gear was way outta my price range. I might check out their shop tomorrow. I've gotta make a trip into town anyway.

They are the best in my opinion. I had a poulan and it lasted about 3 seasons. Rubbish at best. The Stihl I got to replace was about $700 with 18" cut has been going without fail for 5 years and still awesome. Get one. Spend an extra couple hundred, you wont regret it.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

fridayflash
11th December 2014, 20:04
+1for the electric chainsaw..itll go every time and apart from chain maintainence itll need no servicing. as said before, theyre surprisingly effective
a mate of mine even uses his instead of a handsaw when doin his (admitedly rough) around home building jobs...fences, sheds, and even a carport lol

petrol chainsaw is ok IF you tip out any premix left in the tank when your done for the foreseeable future..even start the fucker to drain whats left in the carb

Winston001
11th December 2014, 20:13
2) ms260 ish

Nice saw but a bit ovespec'd for Gareth.

Stihl. My 025 is 20 years old and shows no signs of tiring.

Or Husvarna.

Akzle
11th December 2014, 20:16
Or Husvarna.

:girlfight:
:shutup:

Laava
11th December 2014, 20:17

No, the inverter thing is a no go IMO. Electric will be good if you buy a good one but the petrol is very little more, is more powerful and will last longer if it is a stihl or even Husky. In that price range, the huskies are chinese made but seem to still be the same quality I have found recently.

Akzle
11th December 2014, 20:20
Nice saw but a bit ovespec'd for Gareth.

Stihl. My 025 is 20 years old and shows no signs of tiring.

Or Husvarna.

i have a similar vintage 06x
osh unapproved, no chain brake. Fuken peels chips quicker than newer 'better' saws.

Last time i's in stihlshop, the 26x were about the smallest saws worth buying

Winston001
11th December 2014, 23:15
Yeah I'm with you but its a professional saw and probably too big a $ bite for the average bloke.

Ellipsis runs a Stihl 026 but then he's got big cahones. :D

But if a bloke had choices then a Stihl 260, a 440, and a 660 would be nirvana. And maybe one of those top-handle 012s. Inheirited an 009 which I didnt take seriously until tried it out - lovely saw inside a tree.

Winston001
11th December 2014, 23:28
Gareth - required reading if you are to join the Knights of Bucking.

Ok got a keyboard problem - search for "Chainsaw 2T Oil - Perplexed" - thread from December 2013.

Shadowjack
12th December 2014, 05:33
Gareth123, Shadowjack-son is in the business of shaping, chopping, and topping trees up, down, around, and sideways - when I asked him somewhat the same question, he said just one word: Stihl.
And from memory, they occasionally run reasonable prices on their smaller gear.

unstuck
12th December 2014, 06:28
Husky or sthil, anything else you are a blouse. Pay a little extra now and you will be still using it in 30 yrs, not putting it in the wheelie bin in a couple of years.

awayatc
12th December 2014, 06:57
Good saw for a great price ?
Hard to beat oleo mac....
made in italy, had legal issues with mac part in name,
hence a whole lot available for fuck all (plus gst....)
Have mine for a few years now....cant fault it

nzspokes
12th December 2014, 07:17
Sthil. Get the best. And you can get parts.

Echo is ok and lasts well. And you can get bits.

Ita a Poolan Ed. And its rubbish.

I used to be a small engine mechanic back in the day.

unstuck
12th December 2014, 07:43
Sthil. Get the best. And you can get parts.

Echo is ok and lasts well. And you can get bits.

Ita a Poolan Ed. And its rubbish.

I used to be a small engine mechanic back in the day.

So you would have some experience with Stihl's chrome bore then.Stupid idea, because replacement barrels are way too expensive.
At least with a husky, you can give them a hone and a set of rings.:Punk::Punk:

unstuck
12th December 2014, 07:46
In saying that, Im off to drop some 70 year old mac's with me Sthil.:Punk::Punk:

nzspokes
12th December 2014, 07:47
So you would have some experience with Stihl's chrome bore then.Stupid idea, because replacement barrels are way too expensive.
At least with a husky, you can give them a hone and a set of rings.:Punk::Punk:
Keep your air cleaner clean and use good two stroke oil. No problem.

Banditbandit
12th December 2014, 07:49
Are stihl saws really that good?

I've had a Stihl for 15 years - changed the blade and the bar when it needs it - apart from that it still just runs and cuts wood.

All our heating for that 15 years has been fire only so it's cut a lot of wood ...

carbonhed
12th December 2014, 09:09
We use 50 and 60cc Stihl's and they're terrific but I got talked into buying this little saw about three years ago and I just don't how I managed without it.

http://www.allpower.co.nz/Portals/24/CVStoreImages/269T_480.png

Easy to start, reliable and just brilliant for light pruning and suchlike. Usable with one or two hands. Only downside is you tend to treat it like a toy so you have to keep reminding yourself that it'll bite hard if you make a mistake.

$550 here.

http://www.mikeschainsawshop.co.nz/shindaiwa-269t/

jasonu
12th December 2014, 10:28
Cheap chainsaws, or any gas powered tool for that matter are total shit. Even if you are an occasional user they are still shit. Buy either Husqvarna or Stihl and you will have a saw that will always start, always oil, repair and tune up shops will be willing to work on them and you will always be able to buy parts for them if summat goes wrong.

Banditbandit
12th December 2014, 10:34
Cheap chainsaws, or any gas powered tool for that matter are total shit. Even if you are an occasional user they are still shit. Buy either Husqvarna or Stihl and you will have a saw that will always start, always oil, repair and tune up shops will be willing to work on them and you will always be able to buy parts for them if summat goes wrong.

True .. I had a Shindaiwa brush cutter .. (don't ask) when it stopped it was a minor carb issue - but I couldn't get the parts for it ... and no-one else made anything like the right size ..

Akzle
12th December 2014, 11:01

http://www.stihl.co.nz/upload/assetmanager/modell_imagefilename/scaled/websize/M-MS150T-S001_p_1.jpg

actually.

Swoop
12th December 2014, 14:02
:rofl:
McCulloch dares you, NO! DOUBLE DARES YOU to try.

Only professional swearers need attempt to fix these bastard sons of combustion engines. You'll go through the FULL vocabulary of a drunken matelot attempting to fix one.

+1for the electric chainsaw..itll go every time and apart from chain maintainence itll need no servicing.
I have become quite good at this chain sharpening business! Keep it tickled up and the electric still churns away at the tree.

jasonu
12th December 2014, 14:58
Anything should start first time if you give it fresh petrol and a clean spark plug...!

I have had a Homelite weed wacker and a Craftsman (rebranded poolan) chainsaw that would completely disagree with that statement.

carbonhed
12th December 2014, 16:09
I have had a Homelite weed wacker and a Craftsman (rebranded poolan) chainsaw that would completely disagree with that statement.

Yeah we went through a couple of Homelites back in the day... unfuckingbelievable.

Nowadays we have a terrific relationship with the local mower shop, having bought shedloads of stuff through him over the decades, and he's never steered us wrong. Probably because he knows he'll be the one getting shouted at :laugh:

Oh and Bandibandit... if you've still got that weedeater... have another try for the part. They changed distributor some time ago and parts and prices are much better... if the worst comes to the worst it's 3wks ex Japan.

SPman
12th December 2014, 16:50
The missus bought a Stihl MS170 for limbing and stuff (after I'd cut the buggers down) about $399 I think. Works well.

unstuck
12th December 2014, 17:49
Keep your air cleaner clean and use good two stroke oil. No problem.

Unfortunately some Sthil's had poor quality rubber intake boots that were prone to splitting, as were the fuel lines.:msn-wink:

unstuck
12th December 2014, 17:53
actually.

Ya pansy. Wouldn't even prune my weed with that one.:laugh:

unstuck
12th December 2014, 17:57
This maccy here I got down with an 023 with a 14in bar with 3 teeth missing off the right hand side.
Took a bit longer, but got it where I wanted it.:headbang::headbang:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/30095_115144065197023_330416_n.jpg?oh=960b911b03f8 dd4177ea470bcb1057ca&oe=55408C75&__gda__=1426523228_f192189c3dc1c8da5b90c1073ad6590 c

carbonhed
12th December 2014, 18:08
This maccy here I got down with an 023 with a 14in bar with 3 teeth missing off the right hand side.

U R crayzee mofo.

Akzle
12th December 2014, 18:52

[IMG]https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/30095_115144065197023_330416_n.jpg?oh=960b911b03f8 dd4177ea470bcb1057ca&oe=55408C75&__gda__=1426523228_f192189c3dc1c8da5b90c1073ad6590 c

good effort. :rockon:

Swoop
12th December 2014, 19:34
:confused:

Where's the Mohawk?
Have you been misleading us?
<_<

98tls
12th December 2014, 20:16

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/30095_115144065197023_330416_n.jpg?oh=960b911b03f8 dd4177ea470bcb1057ca&oe=55408C75&__gda__=1426523228_f192189c3dc1c8da5b90c1073ad6590 c

:clap:Nice work mate,14 inch bar jesus howd you manage to stay awake?Many moons ago spent some time felling for a bloke in Tokanui who had a contract in a big bloke of native, we left this fucking huge old pine for last and indeed on the last day set about the thing,2100 Husky with 36 inch bar and it still took some doing..not to mention the hassles we had moving sections of it at a time then trying to get them on truck/trailer:lol:

Winston001
12th December 2014, 20:39
We use 50 and 60cc Stihl's and they're terrific but I got talked into buying this little saw about three years ago and I just don't how I managed without it.

Easy to start, reliable and just brilliant for light pruning and suchlike. Usable with one or two hands. Only downside is you tend to treat it like a toy so you have to keep reminding yourself that it'll bite hard if you make a mistake.

$550 here.

To be fair Shindaiwa are respected, they make a good saw and are a long way above the cheap Chinese imports.

98tls
12th December 2014, 20:47
"light pruning and suchlike"? Whats wrong with a handsaw which costs way less than 5 hundy and does anything a chainsaw requiring one hand to operate can do.

carbonhed
12th December 2014, 20:55
"light pruning and suchlike"? Whats wrong with a handsaw which costs way less than 5 hundy and does anything a chainsaw requiring one hand to operate can do.

:laugh: suspect our definitions of "light pruning and suchlike" are somewhat different. I restructured a couple of overgrown acres of feijoas with that saw. I'd like to see you doing it with a hand saw.

98tls
12th December 2014, 20:58
:laugh: suspect our definitions of "light pruning and suchlike" are somewhat different. I restructured a couple of overgrown acres of feijoas with that saw. I'd like to see you doing it with a hand saw.

:niceone:Would ave used a match myself mate.

Winston001
12th December 2014, 21:20
Earlier thread:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/162634-Chainsaw-2T-oil-Perplexed

george formby
12th December 2014, 21:45
:rofl:
McCulloch dares you, NO! DOUBLE DARES YOU to try.

Yep, my infant steps wid chainsaws. 9 months and a week of hard work & it had a cold seizure. Still works but starting is a fine art of frustration.

I now has a Solo as per the "2t oil" thread. 2/3rd's of the price of a husky or stihl but still, heh heh, a commercial saw. Starts as per the book every time, even has a decompressor.
I've blued a couple of chains on very hard wood but the saw still performs like the first day out of the box.

I bought a Mcbollock because it had a Husqvarna plate on it. They have 2 tiers of quality. Don't buy a Chinese husky.

Oleo mac are good, too. Keep on keeping on.

Check out some comparison test's online, Stihl is the go to saw but I'm not convinced that they are that much better than lesser known commercial brands to justify the price difference.
Maintenance plays a big part and storing the saw properly prevents problems.

jasonu
13th December 2014, 06:11

There is no where to put the petrol....

unstuck
13th December 2014, 06:19
:confused:

Where's the Mohawk?
Have you been misleading us?
<_<

Under the hat, no misleading.:Punk::Punk:
That big old bugger I had to cut a big section out of the back of it, big enough to get the whole saw in.
American Sthil,and the rancher, which is the american husky are not as good as the european saws either in my opinion.

speights_bud
25th January 2015, 16:04
I'd been putting off buying a chainsaw for sometime. I have always used the Stihls from the old man's farm when I needed one and knew I'd get a bollocking from the Mrs for spending the coin I'd want to.

In the end after reading through some suggestions about electric saws on here I've gone down that path. For our section in town it should be more than enough.

When I need bigger for the annual firewood chop I'll keep using the old man's 044 & ms201. Plus farm saws = farm fuel and oil...

I haven't had a chance to cut anything yet, forgot to pick up Bar oil, so I'll pinch some off the old man coz he buys it by the 20L.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/24/29ece210c95127c03597f8c51e369bb9.jpg

BMWST?
25th January 2015, 16:45
another electric here.Its a good wee unit.Always starts very quiet too.Brother in law borrowed and ruined the chain though.It was as blunt as when he gave it back,dont know how he cut anything with it

speights_bud
25th January 2015, 16:54
Yea I won't be lending mine out for that same reason.

I looked at the build quality of the saws at mitre10 (had a voucher). I wasn't surprised to see some rubbish. For 40 bucks more I got the makita which I can at least get parts for should I ever need. The shit plastic moulding on the others didn't inspire confidence. But what I was surprised to see is as you went up the price range, the grunt of the electric motors dropped by 200W each step. Cheapest had a 2200W and the makita has an 1800w, must be compensating for something

ellipsis
25th January 2015, 16:58
...the beauty of a chainsaw for most is, you can throw it in the truck...if you are working one close to a power source then I can see the sensibilities of that choice...I have an old Makita electric c/saw...it is over twenty years old, fucking dangerous, as in no guards, no double movement safety type switch/trigger, no trigger guard but it is still doing it's thing...I occasionally pull it out to use when I have no regard for safety and want to frighten myself...

jasonu
25th January 2015, 19:38
another electric here.Its a good wee unit.Always starts very quiet too.Brother in law borrowed and ruined the chain though.It was as blunt as when he gave it back,dont know how he cut anything with it

Never Never Never lend out power equipment. Almost without fail they come back with some sort of issue.

BMWST?
25th January 2015, 19:41
Never Never Never lend out power equipment. Almost without fail they come back with some sort of issue.
Brother in law though....i lent a mate an 30 m exyension cord,came back in such a ywisted state its never been the same grrrrr

Swoop
25th January 2015, 19:46
With council bastards cracking down on stuff, it's nice to do some "stealth tree felling"...:Punk:

Never lend your power tools or girlfriend to your mates.
They'll both come back fucked.

speights_bud
25th January 2015, 19:49
Or your lawn mower

Akzle
25th January 2015, 20:19
the grunt of the electric motors dropped by 200W each step. Cheapest had a 2200W and the makita has an 1800w, must be compensating for something

chinese copper is poo.
Compare a 15pony english motor of ~1970 with a brand new chinese... The old one will flip the polarity on the chinky.

speights_bud
25th January 2015, 20:20
chinese copper is poo.
Compare a 15pony english motor of ~1970 with a brand new chinese... The old one will flip the polarity on the chinky.
My thoughts exactly, compensating for something. Shittier design

Akzle
25th January 2015, 20:47
My thoughts exactly, compensating for something. Shittier design

the designs are stolen.

The materials are the lowest tender/greatest profit margins.

Yay capitalist jews!

jasonu
26th January 2015, 07:40
Brother in law though....i lent a mate an 30 m exyension cord,came back in such a ywisted state its never been the same grrrrr

There are only 2 people I would even considering lending my chainsaw to (one is my bro in law...). Lucky for me they both have their own equipment and like me have a
'do not lend out or borrow power equipment' policy.

ellipsis
26th January 2015, 07:44
...in 20+ years I only let one other bloke use my saw and I even wonder to this day why I weakened...nothing untoward happened but it still irks me that I let it happen, and that was about twenty years ago...

Akzle
26th January 2015, 08:03
There are only 2 people I would even considering lending my chainsaw to (one is my bro in law...). Lucky for me they both have their own equipment and like me have a
'do not lend out or borrow power equipment' policy.

"dont lend anything unless youre willing to give up the thing, or the person"

what kind of a woman even asks to borrow tools??

speights_bud
26th January 2015, 08:51
The CEO at the company I did my apprenticeship at got a bit of a surprise.

I caught him looking through my tool chest for a large micrometer. I don't think he was expecting me to tell him to bugger off.

I told him that seeing how I paid for them and they are mine, I don't lend them out and to keep his hands out of my personal toolbox.

I told him to buy his own or use the shop set