PDA

View Full Version : Unmarked police bikes in Perth

f2dz
15th December 2014, 08:55
http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/perths-new-undercover-police-bikes-catchout-careless-drivers/story-fnhocxo3-1227154892109?nk=f4196d1b70e7bde2de16f36a352102fd

Saw this over the weekend and thought it was quite a neat idea. Wonder how long it will be until it is picked up here.

Gotta love the people who plead innocence when it's crystal clear that they were on their phone and oblivious to the popo's flashin lights.

shafty
15th December 2014, 09:38
Interesting

Wasn't it the Aussie Cops who were prosecuting for helmet mounted cameras?

Yet they are wearing them...

Blackbird
15th December 2014, 09:41
Brilliant - great find! Must say that when I'm on the bike and make phone gestures to drivers using their phones, getting the fingers is the normal response :rolleyes:

Ulsterkiwi
15th December 2014, 09:45
"you have no idea whats going on around you m'am"

I was alongside a chickie doing 100kph on the urban motorway in Wgtn, she was 'steering' with her knees and texting using both hands. I sounded my horn, she nearly shit herself. No clue what was happening.
Anyway, who needs BOTH hands to text? :rolleyes:

Mind you the guy who was putting soy and wasabi on his sushi while he drove was the best I have ever seen.

James Deuce
15th December 2014, 10:06
It's perfect! No one sees bikes! Stealth Policing at its finest!

PrincessBandit
15th December 2014, 10:54
Eeeek, I must say I've been guilty of sending a text while sitting at the lights waiting and would probably just about crap myself if a bike cop pulled up alongside out of nowhere to chat through the window! (U turns, weaving in and out of stationary vehicles to get to the offending motorist - not exactly like they're following you in the flow of the traffic where you'd expect to be aware of what's moving around you).

I wonder how long it will be before that takes off here too :no: Easy pickings I reckon around Auckland.

PrincessBandit
15th December 2014, 11:01
Oh, when I'm stationary on the bike I'm always checking what's around me, moving or otherwise (I have never gotten the hand of texting with fat ass gloves on anyway!) but in the car I tend to not be on such high alert when stopped.

Tazz
15th December 2014, 11:02
Interesting

Wasn't it the Aussie Cops who were prosecuting for helmet mounted cameras?

Yet they are wearing them...

Different laws in between states over there.

TheDemonLord
15th December 2014, 11:10
It's perfect! No one sees bikes! Stealth Policing at its finest!

Reading the article - they did say that they were going to focus on the little things that people do all the time that cause issues - which I completely approve

shafty
15th December 2014, 11:10
Sure Tazz but if I was charged with having a helmet mounted GoPro, I'd be referencing the Perth Police in my defence.....

willytheekid
15th December 2014, 11:45
Brillent idea!:niceone:

"Assistant Commissioner Nick Anticich said the new fleet of unmarked bikes would strongly target inattentive driving, which he described as an “unacceptable phenomena.”

"A trial of unmarked police motorbikes 12 months ago saw officers issue a staggering 1300 infringements for people using their mobile phones and more than 200 infringements notices for people not wearing their seatbelts in just four weeks"

Lets just hope the NZ popo take note of the Aussie popo's targeting ACTUAL! AND BLATANT!! ROAD SAFETY ISSUE'S!!...and with the figures shown above...they could even keep there greedy Govt's revenue collection plans flowing, with the side effect of making an ACTUAL impact to road safety!...instead of just pissing off 99% of the nation with there current BS campaign on 1k over "speeding":tugger:

...plus Rastuscat and the boys could get some cool new toys to race!....:Oops:I mean..."use":laugh:

f2dz
15th December 2014, 13:25
Eeeek, I must say I've been guilty of sending a text while sitting at the lights...

I wonder how long it will be before that takes off here too :no: Easy pickings I reckon around Auckland.

Same here. I've sent the odd quick text or quickly checked my phone at the lights but as soon as that light goes green my phone goes away.

Would be great to see these guys pick up people texting whilst at speed on a motorway/highway. At least the people in the video were completely stationary, albeit very inattentive.

Tazz
15th December 2014, 14:18
Sure Tazz but if I was charged with having a helmet mounted GoPro, I'd be referencing the Perth Police in my defence.....

Yeah without looking too deep into it some overzealous police work seems to be the problem unless you've involved some drill bits.

http://motorbikewriter.com/rider-fined-gopro-helmet-will-contest-fine/

http://motorbikewriter.com/clarification-on-helmet-mounted-cameras/

I was a bit quick to blame the different states =/

Same here. I've sent the odd quick text or quickly checked my phone at the lights but as soon as that light goes green my phone goes away.

Would be great to see these guys pick up people texting whilst at speed on a motorway/highway. At least the people in the video were completely stationary, albeit very inattentive.

I text at lights I'm going to be sitting at for ages in the car sometimes without holding anyone up but wouldn't whinge (loudly) about getting ticketed for it as I agree with the principle.

Even eating behind the wheel can be visually and mentally distracting to a dangerous extent depending on the mental capacity of the food beast munching away.

R650R
15th December 2014, 15:33
Surprised its taken them so long to realise how effective it would be...

Maybe all them moto-popo dissed the idea so they could eat more donuts... :)

Pretty good anyway, there's also a youtube vid about, cops doing same in UK... but with a truck unit so they can see into truck cabs and bust truckers for texting....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9eTzzCveOA

Akzle
15th December 2014, 15:52
Mind you the guy who was putting soy and wasabi on his sushi while he drove was the best I have ever seen.

mighta been me. chopsticks and all.

i text too.

total "was not a factor" in ax' MVA to date: txting, speeding, alcohol impairment, fiddling with the radio/missus, rolling joints, doing spots, LSD...

Ulsterkiwi
15th December 2014, 15:55
mighta been me. chopsticks and all.

i text too.

total "was not a factor" in ax' MVA to date: txting, speeding, alcohol impairment, fiddling with the radio/missus, rolling joints, doing spots, LSD...

this guy drove a Kia and looked really really sad, you did come to Wellington recently didn't you? :cool:

rastuscat
15th December 2014, 17:46
Brillent idea!:niceone:

"Assistant Commissioner Nick Anticich said the new fleet of unmarked bikes would strongly target inattentive driving, which he described as an “unacceptable phenomena.”

"A trial of unmarked police motorbikes 12 months ago saw officers issue a staggering 1300 infringements for people using their mobile phones and more than 200 infringements notices for people not wearing their seatbelts in just four weeks"

Lets just hope the NZ popo take note of the Aussie popo's targeting ACTUAL! AND BLATANT!! ROAD SAFETY ISSUE'S!!...and with the figures shown above...they could even keep there greedy Govt's revenue collection plans flowing, with the side effect of making an ACTUAL impact to road safety!...instead of just pissing off 99% of the nation with there current BS campaign on 1k over "speeding":tugger:

...plus Rastuscat and the boys could get some cool new toys to race!....:Oops:I mean..."use":laugh:

Watched it yesterday. Cool. I see stuff every day which people tell me I didn't see.

One of my troops has a cellphone focus. Best he's done is 14 in one day. He tops the district cellphone stats. It's easy on a bike, even a big yellow and blue one.

One of the others has a seatbelt and stop sign focus. He writes more seatbelt tickets than anyone else in our district every year.

The third one can't make his mind up, so he's good at both, just not as focused.

The Chur Chur Popo motorcyclists focus on seatbelts, traffic lights, stop signs and cellphones. And driving like a knob, quite a common offence down here.

I'll mention to the boss about plain bikes. They look cheaper than the Teutonic monsters we have just now, so maybe it'll fly.

willytheekid
15th December 2014, 18:02
Watched it yesterday. Cool. I see stuff every day which people tell me I didn't see.

One of my troops has a cellphone focus. Best he's done is 14 in one day. He tops the district cellphone stats. It's easy on a bike, even a big yellow and blue one.

One of the others has a seatbelt and stop sign focus. He writes more seatbelt tickets than anyone else in our district every year.

The third one can't make his mind up, so he's good at both, just not as focused.

The Chur Chur Popo motorcyclists focus on seatbelts, traffic lights, stop signs and cellphones. And driving like a knob, quite a common offence down here.

I'll mention to the boss about plain bikes. They look cheaper than the Teutonic monsters we have just now, so maybe it'll fly.

:killingme
AWESOME!
...I do hear the new supercharged Kawasaki H2r's are great on fuel!(and high on fun!)...just the tool for the job me thinks:lol:

It is a bloody great idea tho...plus!...it might make the average road user notice motorcycles more;) (And we can ALL pretend to be popo!:D:lol:)

ps...Tell ya boss if there short on funds for new bikes...WE can help raise funds for said bikes...benefits us all in the end, and we are all riders (And KBers:love:)...community spirt & all that ;)...just a thought!

Big Dog
15th December 2014, 18:02

In the last few years I have caught people:
* masturbating, many times and both genders - Not everyone fumbling in their laps has a cell phone there. Watch out for females with a tiny remote in their hands and a big smile.
* reading newspapers or other physical mediums.
* reading from a kindle... using a steering wheel mount to make it hands free...
* Sexting - Trying to take selfie upskirts etc
* writing - Pen and paper, stylus and tablet etc.
* getting some head in the cue for the motorway... yea not too many reasons a jacket bobs up and down like that.
* drinking alcohol.
* Smoking drugs.
* winding tapes back with a pencil.
* talking on a cellphone - usually with it held almost to their lips as if they are taking a bite from a cookie...
* playing tug o war with the dog in the passenger seat.

Oh the humanity.
Yes I have *555 the worst offenders. I'd rarely make it to work at all if I called in everyone.

ellipsis
15th December 2014, 18:14
... saw a pic of one if their bikes...KTM with the full on motard look...wouldn't that be a cunt...being booked by someone on a Motard...

Berries
15th December 2014, 18:16
2:20 looked like an unnecessary display of acceleration to me.

Big Dog
15th December 2014, 18:39
2:20 looked like an unnecessary display of acceleration to me.

I would have thought if you were going to pick on their riding you would point out that he crosses a raised median form the wrong side of the road before that...

SPman
15th December 2014, 18:40
... saw a pic of one if their bikes...KTM with the full on motard look...wouldn't that be a cunt...being booked by someone on a Motard...
Also Honda CB500Rs. Also CB650s,Yamaha Teneres and maybe an MT 09. They've got radios and lights so they can pull you over. The trial they had 'twas with satandard bikes, so the regular wapol had to stop the drivers and ticket them. Most of the bike cops here seem to be using Contour cameras.

R650R
15th December 2014, 18:54
In the last few years I have caught people...

You voyeur lol...

I thought I'd seen a fair few dodgy things from the truck till I saw the infamous Pajero woman at about 2 am one morning. The most disturbing thing was a patrol car with its lights off pulled away from her before she entered the motorway at Ramarama....

I was going to *555 her as DUI, all over the lanes and neatly hit the barrier, must have just been when she was undressing while driving and tooling up....

Anyway I pulled alongside and Jesus Christ what a show she put on, gave up on the phone, no way I cold subject a poor innocent rookie Auckland cop to seeing that. It was bad enough that I had to see it.... Warned a truck ahead on the CB, oh yeah bro sweet as, already seen that show before lol

Murray
15th December 2014, 19:01

Do any focus on real crime. Had a bag snatcher thwarted by staff last night (had all her diabetes medicine in bag, could have been serious)- response "nothing taken so heres a number if you want to refer too" no police getting description, nothing, not even a visit??

R650R
15th December 2014, 19:13
Do any focus on real crime. Had a bag snatcher thwarted by staff last night (had all her diabetes medicine in bag, could have been serious)- response "nothing taken so heres a number if you want to refer too" no police getting description, nothing, not even a visit??

If you'd phoned CRL they'd get passed a description and keep a look out.
There's so much happening they can't be responding in person to every minor event. It's not like your five mins chatting with Columbo is going to end a major crime spree.
Think of it like the emergency dept at hospital, depending on your injury you somewhere between a nurse and a surgeon. Your bag snatching that nearly was is like walking I to ED and demanding a surgeon hand you a plaster for a paper cut.

Murray
15th December 2014, 19:16
If you'd phoned CRL they'd get passed a description and keep a look out.
There's so much happening they can't be responding in person to every minor event. It's not like your five mins chatting with Columbo is going to end a major crime spree.
Think of it like the emergency dept at hospital, depending on your injury you somewhere between a nurse and a surgeon. Your bag snatching that nearly was is like walking I to ED and demanding a surgeon hand you a plaster for a paper cut.

Fair enough but when rastus goes through the focus of a number off poppo and its all vehicle related you start wondering??

R650R
15th December 2014, 19:54
Fair enough but when rastus goes through the focus of a number off poppo and its all vehicle related you start wondering??

Not when he's a bike cop and likely fulltime highway duties along with his immediate colleagues...

Berries
15th December 2014, 19:57
I would have thought if you were going to pick on their riding you would point out that he crosses a raised median form the wrong side of the road before that...
I was being a smart arse. If I was serious I would ask how many crashes are prevented by giving people tickets for using their mobile phone while the car is stationary? I get the seat belts, you never know when someone else is going to fuck up and hit you, but using a phone while stationary and failing to stop at a stop sign when you can see perfectly well that there are no vehicles approaching are two of things that make me think the easy option is being taken. Tickets, contacts, revenue yes. Reducing crashes? Mmm, not so sure. If the traffic wasn't stationary I might think differently.

Getting back to riding over the median, being an unmarked bike nobody will think it was a policeman so it will be just more fodder for the anti brigade. Then again, if you weren't meant to ride over them they shouldn't build them with mountable kerb should they?

Big Dog
15th December 2014, 22:14
I was being a smart arse. If I was serious I would ask how many crashes are prevented by giving people tickets for using their mobile phone while the car is stationary? I get the seat belts, you never know when someone else is going to fuck up and hit you, but using a phone while stationary and failing to stop at a stop sign when you can see perfectly well that there are no vehicles approaching are two of things that make me think the easy option is being taken. Tickets, contacts, revenue yes. Reducing crashes? Mmm, not so sure. If the traffic wasn't stationary I might think differently.

Getting back to riding over the median, being an unmarked bike nobody will think it was a policeman so it will be just more fodder for the anti brigade. Then again, if you weren't meant to ride over them they shouldn't build them with mountable kerb should they?

The last woman answers that

Even with the lights and audible notice she paid no heed. How aware could she really be? If she is that unobservant in that moment how distracted for the first few minutes after she puts the phone down?
I see so many people fidget like they are full of p when they put their phones down. Desperate for a reply.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Big Dog
15th December 2014, 22:14
You voyeur lol...

I thought I'd seen a fair few dodgy things from the truck till I saw the infamous Pajero woman at about 2 am one morning. The most disturbing thing was a patrol car with its lights off pulled away from her before she entered the motorway at Ramarama....

I was going to *555 her as DUI, all over the lanes and neatly hit the barrier, must have just been when she was undressing while driving and tooling up....

Anyway I pulled alongside and Jesus Christ what a show she put on, gave up on the phone, no way I cold subject a poor innocent rookie Auckland cop to seeing that. It was bad enough that I had to see it.... Warned a truck ahead on the CB, oh yeah bro sweet as, already seen that show before lol
Just an active observer.

Berries
15th December 2014, 22:39
The last woman answers that.
I never got that far. The 'I am the Lord and you will pull over' attitude of the cop in question turned me off quite quickly. I guess filming them, following them and pulling them over with the disco lights when safe to do so would not have made such good TV/PR.

Big Dog
16th December 2014, 01:03
I never got that far. The 'I am the Lord and you will pull over' attitude of the cop in question turned me off quite quickly. I guess filming them, following them and pulling them over with the disco lights when safe to do so would not have made such good TV/PR.

Yeah bit this is a publicity stunt. It is about the shock and awe of seeing what they did not observe etc. Wouldn't have the same long term effect.

R650R
16th December 2014, 07:16

Its just like speeding where they ticket people speeding on nice straight stretches of roads... those people are the rule breakers and likely speeding though corners and bad bits of roads as well.
Same for those using phone while stopped in traffic, its a breach of the law so likely they do it on the move too.
Even though some cops like to do u turns in dangerous places.... common sense dictates that to be effective they need to interact with a wide number of road users/offenders, this means doing the job where it is easy and safe...

Big Dog
16th December 2014, 08:36
I did note the u turn was done in a spot specifically for u turns. At least that's what it looks like.

AllanB
16th December 2014, 18:22
Hmmm interesting KB post and most interesting are the overwhelming positive responses.

So lets take it a step further - given phone use is illegal as is speeding how about mufti motorcycles trolling the Corro loop or Akaroa highway in the weekend?

Nah - that's just not sporting the buggers would spend all day writing tickets!

rastuscat
16th December 2014, 19:13
Hmmm interesting KB post and most interesting are the overwhelming positive responses.

So lets take it a step further - given phone use is illegal as is speeding how about mufti motorcycles trolling the Corro loop or Akaroa highway in the weekend?

Nah - that's just not sporting the buggers would spend all day writing tickets!

How do you know we're not doing it already?

MD
16th December 2014, 20:02
My dream job! Riding a bike and dishing the dirt to idiots using phones while driving - my pet road rage trigger No. 0026.

I'm all in favour of what these Perth cops are doing. Even better that they admit their research shows inattention is the major cause of serious accidents. Wow, who would have thought that. Our Govt have their heads so far up their arses believing their own myths that speed is the source of all evils.

Just hope he didn't lane split their for a second.

R650R
16th December 2014, 20:14
Even better that they admit their research shows inattention is the major cause of serious accidents. Wow, who would have thought that...

I did and I've said it a few times.... You know what would be a good way to ping people for failing to pay attention....???
How about we put a gauge with a rotating dial on the dashboard and you have to drive your car so the needle doesn't go past a preselected point. No this would be hard to do so we could have a bit of leeway and also make the attention factor a bigger element by making the car driver adjust the dial before a policeman or camera van presses a special button instead.... We could have sign posts so people would have to drive the dial at different settings.
We could have coloured lights at intersections too and if people failed to notice the proper colour and do the right thing they could get a ticket too.
And to test that they are paying attention to maintaining their car we could put a sticker with a date on the windscreen that would need to be changed every 12 months....

Grubber
16th December 2014, 20:18
I did and I've said it a few times.... You know what would be a good way to ping people for failing to pay attention....???
How about we put a gauge with a rotating dial on the dashboard and you have to drive your car so the needle doesn't go past a preselected point. No this would be hard to do so we could have a bit of leeway and also make the attention factor a bigger element by making the car driver adjust the dial before a policeman or camera van presses a special button instead.... We could have sign posts so people would have to drive the dial at different settings.
We could have coloured lights at intersections too and if people failed to notice the proper colour and do the right thing they could get a ticket too.
And to test that they are paying attention to maintaining their car we could put a sticker with a date on the windscreen that would need to be changed every 12 months....

Hmmmm....worth a crack I reckon. How do we get this phenomenon under way?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

oneofsix
16th December 2014, 21:24

doesn't get them paying attention to driving it just gets them looking at the dial. Now if you have no speed policing and the driver has to pay attention to the conditions and what others are doing or they could die, that would get them paying attention to their driving. Just to make sure it works remove the steering wheel airbag but leave the explosive in place with a hard metal cover. :corn:

R650R
17th December 2014, 05:57
doesn't get them paying attention to driving it just gets them looking at the dial. Now if you have no speed policing and the driver has to pay attention to the conditions and what others are doing or they could die, that would get them paying attention to their driving. Just to make sure it works remove the steering wheel airbag but leave the explosive in place with a hard metal cover. :corn:

I've always thought speed enforcement does contribute a little to people looking ahead to see what is about or lurking at roadside.
You'll never get people paying full attention all of the time, sadly its just a natural short coming of human nature. There prob are a select few who can and then some who don't drive/ride much but think they are 'expert drivers' who are prob tuned in well too...
The technology exists to moniter eye movement and other factors and possible administer a small taser style shock to the driver, but by the time we get that mainstreamed we'll be headed to driverless vehicles anyway....

wharekura
17th December 2014, 08:29
I use to ride daily to commute to work and some of my trip involves open road areas with blind bends. Often I could see drivers with their eyes gazed down. I sold the bike because of ppl that just had to read or send a txt message that couldnt wait when they got home.

I support the Perth idea.

haydes55
17th December 2014, 10:27
I've always thought speed enforcement does contribute a little to people looking ahead to see what is about or lurking at roadside.

You'll never get people paying full attention all of the time, sadly its just a natural short coming of human nature. There prob are a select few who can and then some who don't drive/ride much but think they are 'expert drivers' who are prob tuned in well too...

The technology exists to moniter eye movement and other factors and possible administer a small taser style shock to the driver, but by the time we get that mainstreamed we'll be headed to driverless vehicles anyway....

I think it was BMW or Mercedes that developed a function for their new cars that can detect fatigue and an idiot light in the shape of a cup of coffee shows on the dash.

Edit; it's more widespread than I thought http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver_drowsiness_detection

Big Dog
17th December 2014, 11:55
I heard about a driver attention detection that when a driver is fading attention wise not just drowsy switches dash lights from the usual orange lighting that is to calm the driver against road rage to whitish blue lighting that heightens your level of alertness.
Not sure how effective because the clip I saw was a development concept.

Based on the idea that people recently exposed to blue light don't sleep. Hence kindles offering paperwhite screens.

willytheekid
17th December 2014, 13:01
How do you know we're not doing it already?

Cos we haven't seen any mufti's parked on the side of the road...enjoying the last of the tasty cheese sausage rolls from little river! :laugh:

rastuscat
17th December 2014, 13:16
Cos we haven't seen any mufti's parked on the side of the road...enjoying the last of the tasty cheese sausage rolls from little river! :laugh:

Ah, the old "I didn't see them so it doesn't exist" defence.

Come on Wheelie, surely your observational skills are better than that.

Funny. I sent a copy of that vid to my boss. He contacted the head cheeses in Wellytown only to find that they were already on to it. He's asked for two plain ones for Chur Chur. Maybe it IS Christmas, after all.

Nothing happens fast, watch this space.

Murray
17th December 2014, 13:37
The technology exists to moniter eye movement and other factors and possible administer a small taser style shock to the driver

makes me remember this news item from a wee way back.

While I agree with Greg Murphy's thoughts - how many times does he take his eyes off the road while driving???

http://www.3news.co.nz/tvshows/campbelllive/greg-murphy-on-nzs-deadly-driving-culture-2014042216#axzz3M7A1VdL0

willytheekid
17th December 2014, 14:37
Ah, the old "I didn't see them so it doesn't exist" defence.

Come on Wheelie, surely your observational skills are better than that.

Funny. I sent a copy of that vid to my boss. He contacted the head cheeses in Wellytown only to find that they were already on to it. He's asked for two plain ones for Chur Chur. Maybe it IS Christmas, after all.

Nothing happens fast, watch this space.

Good to hear there funding the right dept for once :laugh:

fingers crossed for a kawasaki H2r!:woohoo: (Or some new VFR800's!!...god they look good!)

Take care Ras, and have a safe and merry xmas/new year :love:

buggerit
17th December 2014, 15:13

fingers crossed for a kawasaki H2r!:woohoo: (Or some new VFR800's!!...god they look good!)

Did the popo have some VFR700"S in Auck in the late 80"s?

avgas
17th December 2014, 15:19
So it's a good time to rob houses in Perth?

rastuscat
17th December 2014, 15:32

Back in the late 80s the Tamaki City Council used VFRs. Looked like couriers, and caught heaps more than we could on our R80RT-Ps.

Then the MoT took over, and the Viffers were gone.

Back to the future, WAPol is giving it a nudge again. Baby Teneres, from what I've seen. Today I emailed the guy who runs the bike unit over there. Maybe I'll get some ideas from him.

willytheekid
17th December 2014, 15:37

Dunno:confused:, but those old VFR700 intercepters where pritty cool! :Punk:

..edit, and once again, Im just too damn slow :facepalm: lol

mada
17th December 2014, 16:21
Definitely need this in Auckland I constantly see anywhere from 10 - 20 drivers on their cellphones on small simple 10 minute trip from Epsom to Grafton.

Ping them if they're stationary too, because they're more than likely to be doing at other times and may think twice next time.

Inattentive drivers cause more accidents than drivers who "speed".

TheDemonLord
17th December 2014, 16:23

"Uh Yes, We need an H2R in case we need to pull over someone in a super car flaunting the rules"

willytheekid
17th December 2014, 16:50
"Uh Yes, We need an H2R in case we need to pull over someone in a super car flaunting the rules"

:laugh: Bang on!

Hay if the British popo's managed to get a hayabusa!...Im hoping we can go one better :killingme

Still, would be nice to see more Bike popos in general working the roads :yes: (At least they wave back!:eek:)

...however, I would be rather concerned about beating Ras, smidsy & fireball to those tasty cheese sausage rolls at little river:crazy: (Twice now the buggers have beat me to the last ones in the cafe :crybaby:...we simply wouldn't stand a chance if they H2r's:oi-grr:)

Hope ya well, and wishing you a merry xmas & new year TDL :D

rastuscat
17th December 2014, 17:45
Dear Santa

Please this year can I have

Demerit points for red light offences
Demerit points for seatbelt offences
A bike like the one below

I've been really, really good this year Santa. Just this once, please.

Forget the demerits if that's a problem, I'd really like the bike.

Big Dog
17th December 2014, 17:45
A really unpopular thought I am sure, but with the proliferation of helmet cams and dash cams why not have a submit a video facility with say 10% of any successful prosecution going to the provider?

On a separate thought:
Dobbed someone in for operating an unlicensed commercial vehicle on a public road in a dangerous manner.
Turns out they were also carrying dangerous goods without appropriate Hazardous Material identification or Material Safety Data Sheets present.
The officers who attended didn't seem to understand why we were concerned a tractor and trailer were swerving all over the road including intentionally ramming someone, or why the lady sprayed with a chemical would want to know what it was.

The officers that attended advised it was unlikely he would be charged.
They were not aware of any reason he should not be driving a farm vehicle on a busy public road without registration, WOF or operational lights.
They were also unaware that someone moving hazardous goods should have appropriate licensing and be adhering to safety guidelines.
They were happy to accept the explanation that the chemical in question was organic even though the driver was unable to identify it other than that sulphur was the primary ingredient. An example of a fertilizer based on sulphur, http://www.ravensdown.co.nz/SafetyDatasheets/Superphosphate-SDS.pdf. Sulphur Phosphate (potash) is listed in directories of organic fertilisers, pretty sure the driver would be pissed if I put that on his cornflakes.

I accept that the dispatcher sent the nearest car because we had also reported attempted physical intimidation and they may not be traffic specialists but surely they have an understanding of the laws sufficient to have acquired a license of their own?
Kind of wish after yesterdays events we had a dash cam... sure would have made reporting the issue a whole lot more cut and dried.

The other thing that pisses me off about that is I guarantee the driver in question is undercutting other operators in the area who are properly licensing their vehicles, do keep them up to WOF standard (or otherwise move them legally) and do adhere to dangerous goods requirements.

rastuscat
17th December 2014, 17:48
A really unpopular thought I am sure, but with the proliferation of helmet cams and dash cams why not have a submit a video facility with say 10% of any successful prosecution going to the provider?

On a separate thought:
Dobbed someone in for operating an unlicensed commercial vehicle on a public road in a dangerous manner.
Turns out they were also carrying dangerous goods without appropriate Hazardous Material identification or Material Safety Data Sheets present.
The officers who attended didn't seem to understand why we were concerned a tractor and trailer were swerving all over the road including intentionally ramming someone, or why the lady sprayed with a chemical would want to know what it was.

They were not aware of any reason he should not be driving a farm vehicle on a busy public road without registration, WOF or operational lights.
They were also unaware that someone moving hazardous goods should have appropriate licensing and be adhering to safety guidelines.
They were happy to accept the explanation that the chemical in question was organic even though the driver was unable to identify it other than that sulphur was the primary ingredient. An example of a fertilizer based on sulphur, http://www.ravensdown.co.nz/SafetyDatasheets/Superphosphate-SDS.pdf. Sulphur Phosphate (potash) is listed in directories of organic fertilisers, pretty sure the driver would be pissed if I put that on his cornflakes.

I accept that the dispatcher sent the nearest car because we had also reported attempted physical intimidation and they may not be traffic specialists but surely they have an understanding of the laws sufficient to have acquired a license of their own?
Kind of wish after yesterdays events we had a dash cam... sure would have made reporting the issue a whole lot more cut and dried.

The other thing that pisses me off about that is I guarantee the driver in question is undercutting other operators in the area who are properly licensing their vehicles, do keep them up to WOF standard (or otherwise move them legally) and do adhere to dangerous goods requirements.

DG is a pretty specialized field, and the CVIU guys are pretty much the only ones who have any training in it.

It really depends on who turns up as to how much they know about specialised things like that.

Big Dog
17th December 2014, 18:01
DG is a pretty specialized field, and the CVIU guys are pretty much the only ones who have any training in it.

It really depends on who turns up as to how much they know about specialised things like that.

I tried telling them that he was legally required to have a MSDS with him for just such an event as the alleged poisoning of the other motorist involved.

I get that they may not have known what I was talking about or even thought I was being a dick, really I was just trying to help out another distraught motorist who had ingested an lung full of an unknown material that was burning her eyes. Either way they did not go and ask him if he could properly identify the chemical for the lady, or if he had the MSDS, that has the required first aid info on it.

I don't mind there is no probability this side will be followed up, but swerving all over the road, multiple near accidents, unlicensed vehicles ramming another vehicle with intent, these are all things I am a little hot under the collar they seemed uninterested in pursuing.

Did not even bother taking our statements as witnesses... their interest dried up when the car that was "pushed" had no visible damage because contact was to the tow bar. They may already have had our contact info from our call to *555, but they did not ask for contact information from two ready and willing witnesses.

I really do understand the police are busy and cannot be experts in all fields but this guy was being reckless in the extreme outside a popular and busy playground... it was truly terrifying following him. Watching him swerve without warning from behind the fog line into the traffic. On a couple of occasions into oncoming traffic. We genuinely lost count of the number of near accidents.

rastuscat
17th December 2014, 19:40
I tried telling them that he was legally required to have a MSDS with him for just such an event as the alleged poisoning of the other motorist involved.

I get that they may not have known what I was talking about or even thought I was being a dick, really I was just trying to help out another distraught motorist who had ingested an lung full of an unknown material that was burning her eyes. Either way they did not go and ask him if he could properly identify the chemical for the lady, or if he had the MSDS, that has the required first aid info on it.

I don't mind there is no probability this side will be followed up, but swerving all over the road, multiple near accidents, unlicensed vehicles ramming another vehicle with intent, these are all things I am a little hot under the collar they seemed uninterested in pursuing.

Did not even bother taking our statements as witnesses... their interest dried up when the car that was "pushed" had no visible damage because contact was to the tow bar. They may already have had our contact info from our call to *555, but they did not ask for contact information from two ready and willing witnesses.

I really do understand the police are busy and cannot be experts in all fields but this guy was being reckless in the extreme outside a popular and busy playground... it was truly terrifying following him. Watching him swerve without warning from behind the fog line into the traffic. On a couple of occasions into oncoming traffic. We genuinely lost count of the number of near accidents.

Pretty poorly handled if it's as stated. But I don't know what happened from the Popo side, so I ain't judging.

Big Dog
17th December 2014, 22:24
Pretty poorly handled if it's as stated. But I don't know what happened from the Popo side, so I ain't judging.

Fair call. I don't expect you to speak for every officer.
Just having a rant.
Healthier than holding a grudge.

For all I know after we left they followed up with big tickets after confirming what legs they have to stand on.

awayatc
18th December 2014, 06:16
:laugh: Bang on!

Hay if the British popo's managed to get a hayabusa!...Im hoping we can go one better :killingme

Still, would be nice to see more Bike popos in general working the roads :yes: (At least they wave back!:eek:)

Not sure what village is missing you, but it sounds like you stopped taking your medication....

willytheekid
18th December 2014, 08:28

Not sure what village is missing you, but it sounds like you stopped taking your medication....

And you have a safe and merry x-mas-new year...ya grumpy old bastard :laugh::love:

(you'd actually prefer even more u-turning popo cars than more popo bikes?:blink:)

ps...Shhhh...they still think I'm actually taking the meds:drool:

Murray
18th December 2014, 08:38

this guy was being reckless in the extreme outside a popular and busy playground... it was truly terrifying following him. Watching him swerve without warning from behind the fog line into the traffic. On a couple of occasions into oncoming traffic. We genuinely lost count of the number of near accidents.

Yeah but he wasn't speeding!!!!:yes::yes:

Big Dog
18th December 2014, 10:04
Yeah but he wasn't speeding!!!!:yes::yes:

Lol they asked me about that on the phone.
I had to lament his speed ranged from 45 on a downhill to 10 on an uphill.

I felt temptation to say 51. In a 50. Past a park. And a school. Where kids were playing.

Too bloody honest.

Taxythingy
18th December 2014, 12:02

Depends. If carrying the goods as tools of trade, he can get away with no SDS so long as he has the emergency response information, knows the hazards, safe handling and emergency procedures. See carrying DGs as tools of trade:http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/factsheets/68/dangerous-goods-transported-as-tools-of-trade.html. There are other requirements around packing, segregation, quantities and securing the load to fulfill as well. Carrying the SDS is the easiest way of meeting the information requirements and you would be an idiot not to if the quantities were significant.

Of course, to not know the name of the chemical pretty much rules out any understanding on his part. He needs a swift kick in the dandenongs for that. Sounds like his driving was equally shit, too.

Big Dog
18th December 2014, 12:16
Depends. If carrying the goods as tools of trade, he can get away with no SDS so long as he has the emergency response information, knows the hazards, safe handling and emergency procedures. See carrying DGs as tools of trade:http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/factsheets/68/dangerous-goods-transported-as-tools-of-trade.html. There are other requirements around packing, segregation, quantities and securing the load to fulfill as well. Carrying the SDS is the easiest way of meeting the information requirements and you would be an idiot not to if the quantities were significant.

Of course, to not know the name of the chemical pretty much rules out any understanding on his part. He needs a swift kick in the dandenongs for that. Sounds like his driving was equally shit, too.
He was smart enough to know he needed to be wearing a moth suit, gloves and respirator etc.
Smart enough to know what he was carrying was either dangerous or considered so by those who might fine him just not smart enough to have emergency response info.

Kind of would like to see his face if I spread some on his cornflakes.

Big Dog
18th December 2014, 12:17
Ps I think the volume to be around 1500-2000 litres if the trailer was full.

pritch
18th December 2014, 12:41
The MoT played with at least one mufti bike in Wellington in the 70s. The bike (BSA) was unmarked without boxes or fairing, the rider had a non-issue helmet and was wearing a coloured one-piece plastic oversuit so nothing like a normal cop. As I was about to overtake him going up the Ngauranga Gorge I noticed he was wearing those awful clunky brown boots that only the MoT would be seen dead in, so I decided to 'get in behind'. Eventually he waved down a truck and pointed at the front of his helmet, he must've had an MoT badge on there. Was a good disguise but spolied by penny pinching.

SPman
18th December 2014, 13:25
The cop I saw this morning, who had pulled over a new WRX, was all in black, with a black helmet on a new Tenere with panniers - only his hi-viz vest was a bit of a giveaway, and that was orange - not the yellow ones WAPOL wear.
The car driver looked suitably stunned!

f2dz
18th December 2014, 14:22
Ah, so that's the bike that they're using.

660cc, 46bhp. Meh.

Looks very maneuverable though and I guess that's what counts.

Taxythingy
18th December 2014, 14:51
He was smart enough to know he needed to be wearing a moth suit, gloves and respirator etc.
Smart enough to know what he was carrying was either dangerous or considered so by those who might fine him just not smart enough to have emergency response info.
Ps I think the volume to be around 1500-2000 litres if the trailer was full.

So a right proper fuckwit, then. The kind that makes my job crappier, since someone might just decide that the solution is another checklist and signature. Look. Here's one I prepared earlier:

How to do the job right (officially):
Have you had your 20 minute induction? Y/N
Have you the PPE? Y/N
Have you the paperwork? Y/N
Do you NOT know what you are doing? Y/N

Yes to all? Sign & date, please. Now you're safe and good to go!

Big Dog
18th December 2014, 14:54
So a right proper fuckwit, then. The kind that makes my job crappier, since someone might just decide that the solution is another checklist and signature. Look. Here's one I prepared earlier:

How to do the job right (officially):
Have you had your 20 minute induction? Y/N
Have you the PPE? Y/N
Have you the paperwork? Y/N
Do you NOT know what you are doing? Y/N

Yes to all? Sign & date, please. Now you're safe and good to go!

Shame you can't give rep on tapatalk.

rastuscat
18th December 2014, 15:24

660cc, 46bhp. Meh.

When people ask me what the big advantage of a bike is, I say

Man Hoover Billy T

That's the guts of it. Being able to get places.

R650R
18th December 2014, 18:35

660cc, 46bhp. Meh.

45HP is plenty in the city. I see you have a GSXR750 like I do. I also have a DR650 and believe me at anything below 130km/h the DR is plenty capable of embarrassing a sportsbike...

R650R
18th December 2014, 18:42

On a separate thought:

You really, really, really should do your homework before telling the police how to do their job...
Super Phosphate is not classed as a hazardous good for road transport, hence why you don't see bulk tippers with DG plates.... If you'd read to the bottom of that link you supplied you'd see that.
MSDS for workplace chemicals are usually stored in the office, the idea is if you NEED to know shit, eg don't know shit you go read it before you start work.
You must have hit pretty hard to be covered in enough fert for it to be a health issue???

f2dz
19th December 2014, 09:30
45HP is plenty in the city. I see you have a GSXR750 like I do. I also have a DR650 and believe me at anything below 130km/h the DR is plenty capable of embarrassing a sportsbike...

Oh yea I believe that for sure. I've ridden enough lesser powered bikes to realise that, just thought it was interesting that the cops opt for a bike like that for their unmarked versions whilst they usually have bigger Beemers for their marked rides.

If I was a biker cop I would've thought a smaller bike would be better anyway. Although those BMWs do have a lot of tasty electronic aids.

Big Dog
19th December 2014, 10:14
You really, really, really should do your homework before telling the police how to do their job...
Super Phosphate is not classed as a hazardous good for road transport, hence why you don't see bulk tippers with DG plates.... If you'd read to the bottom of that link you supplied you'd see that.
MSDS for workplace chemicals are usually stored in the office, the idea is if you NEED to know shit, eg don't know shit you go read it before you start work.
You must have hit pretty hard to be covered in enough fert for it to be a health issue???

I didn't hit it at all. Doesn't stop someone else who was sprayed directly with it from inhaling it.

I don't know it was superphosphate. I used that as an example of something organic used as a fertiliser no one in their right mind would ingest.

I didn't tell the cops how to do their job, they seemed unsure how to know what it was that he had on board. I suggested he was supposed to have access to the required info because someone who had ingested the product wanted to know what if any medical care she needed.

Either your reading ain't too flash or you are awful defensive.

Big Dog
19th December 2014, 10:38
I admit it. I got a little ranty because a member or the public ingested a substance the transporter of which was unable to identify ( that's not what got me ranty on its own ) and attending officers were unwilling to pursue getting that information, ( okay a little ranty now) and they were unwilling to ticket someone for driving without a registration or wof because he was just doing his job, and they were unwilling to take seriously corroborated claims that he was driving dangerously.

Focusing on the necessity for a MSDS is a distraction from the issue.

Big Dog
19th December 2014, 10:41
This has gone way off topic and belongs more in the changes to licensing thread.

Perhaps we need simplification of the rules to where everyone is playing the same game?
Perhaps we need fewer rules so that those enforcing them can be experts in them and those operating within them can have a hope of understanding them?

Big Dog
19th December 2014, 11:10
Also. If they had just said "we will follow up with <insert someone who should know> and proceed from there" I would not have seen anything wrong with the events.

What we got was nothing much will happen because we don't know how to proceed.
Oh there is something specific we could ask? Oh well he has carried on spraying now.

rastuscat
19th December 2014, 11:16
I've been emailing back and forth with the Sergent who is running the Perth plain bikes.

When the cellphone law came in here it drove phones down into people's laps, as they tried to update Facebook without being seen. That's why the bikes are nailing even those stopped at traffic lights. Coz a rider on a bike can see the offence so much easier than a car driver.

Their focus is very similar to ours. Seatbelts, traffic lights, cellphones, stop signs.

Funny how two distant places can come up with the same tactic to deal with the same issues. Kind of validates what we do.

Murray
19th December 2014, 11:37
Their focus is very similar to ours. Seatbelts, traffic lights, cellphones, stop signs.

Funny how two distant places can come up with the same tactic to deal with the same issues. Kind of validates what we do.

But their focus is not on zero tolerance speeding! Well not that you have mentioned above anyway.

Ulsterkiwi
19th December 2014, 12:53
But their focus is not on zero tolerance speeding! Well not that you have mentioned above anyway.

I think in fairness to Rastus he has made his own work practices re speeding well known.
Incidentally, I think the biggest mistake that has been made in relation to the speed thing is the media have been allowed to decide the message which the public hears.

Murray
19th December 2014, 12:59
I think in fairness to Rastus he has made his own work practices re speeding well known.
Incidentally, I think the biggest mistake that has been made in relation to the speed thing is the media have been allowed to decide the message which the public hears.

Agree that some police will take a reasonable approach but there are some threads recently showing some rather over zealous practices by some of the force.

Also I would refer you to this

https://www.natroad.co.nz/Story?Action=View&Story_id=1474

And from within this

The following press release from the NZ police website outlines the holiday period vehicle speed management initiative and lower alcohol limits. Please advise all drivers that the police have confirmed there will be no tolerance applied to offences related to exceeding any speed limit. In the past the police have adopted a 4km tolerance through holiday periods but this will only apply this summer period to speed cameras. The initiative runs from 1 December 2014 through until the end of January 2015 according to the press release.

Press release from NZ police - you cannot blame the media for a press release.

Gremlin
19th December 2014, 15:54
Oh yea I believe that for sure. I've ridden enough lesser powered bikes to realise that, just thought it was interesting that the cops opt for a bike like that for their unmarked versions whilst they usually have bigger Beemers for their marked rides.
The NZ police use BMWs (currently), but some departments in Oz use the FJR1300. If that is the case for that department, the XT660 makes sense.

awayatc
19th December 2014, 18:00
K
Agree that some police will take a reasonable approach but there are some threads recently showing some rather over zealous practices by some of the force.

Also I would refer you to this

https://www.natroad.co.nz/Story?Action=View&Story_id=1474

And from within this

The following press release from the NZ police website outlines the holiday period vehicle speed management initiative and lower alcohol limits. Please advise all drivers that the police have confirmed there will be no tolerance applied to offences related to exceeding any speed limit. In the past the police have adopted a 4km tolerance through holiday periods but this will only apply this summer period to speed cameras. The initiative runs from 1 December 2014 through until the end of January 2015 according to the press release.

Press release from NZ police - you cannot blame the media for a press release.

To have to rely on individual "coffisirs" Not ticketing for doing a single k over the "limit"
Is like saying that german nazi camp guards wouldnt kill or hurt any Jews.....

only those who deserve it........

rastuscat
19th December 2014, 22:09
The NZ police use BMWs (currently), but some departments in Oz use the FJR1300. If that is the case for that department, the XT660 makes sense.

The WA Pol used Hondas until Yamaha introduced traction control. Now it's FJRs across the board.

That's why the Teneres were an obvious choice.

SPman
19th December 2014, 23:04
The WA Pol used Hondas until Yamaha introduced traction control. Now it's FJRs across the board.

That's why the Teneres were an obvious choice.Here's a Honda 650

The specs for the tender from earlier in the year....

• The motorcycle’s engine is a four stroke, air or liquid cooled with an engine displacement under 1000cc;
• Motorcycles to be available in a variety of colours, including but not limited to ‘white’;
• The motorcycle’s tyres are rated for high speed and suitable for speeds in excess of 150kmh.
• The motorcycle, when in operational configuration (Panniers/storage affixed), is speed rated to a minimum 140 km/h;
• The motorcycle to have an increased ground clearance with the ability to traverse walk ways, malls, kerbs and median strips;
• The motorcycle/s are to be licensed in the State of Western Australia with standard (non - Government) registration plates.

rastuscat
20th December 2014, 00:23
Here's a Honda 650

The specs for the tender from earlier in the year....

• The motorcycle’s engine is a four stroke, air or liquid cooled with an engine displacement under 1000cc;
• Motorcycles to be available in a variety of colours, including but not limited to ‘white’;
• The motorcycle’s tyres are rated for high speed and suitable for speeds in excess of 150kmh.
• The motorcycle, when in operational configuration (Panniers/storage affixed), is speed rated to a minimum 140 km/h;
• The motorcycle to have an increased ground clearance with the ability to traverse walk ways, malls, kerbs and median strips;
• The motorcycle/s are to be licensed in the State of Western Australia with standard (non - Government) registration plates.

Just re-read his email.

Here's the bit about the bike selection.

> In 2012 the contract came up and after meetings with our Fleet Services it was decided we selected the best bike for our needs, the successful and not the cheapest was Yamaha.
>
> That was a good decision, they are reliable, have a dual battery system and the maintenance is 75% less than the Honda.
>
> The Honda is a good motorcycle but old technology. We have just taken delivery of the 2014 FJR 1300 with traction control sports/tourer mode and cruise control. The chassis is stiffer and it is a pleasure to ride.
>
> Our Assistant Commissioner asked me to look at introducing unmarked motorcycles into the fleet. After a trial last year using leased motorcycles I was given the go ahead to go to tender and contract for purpose built unmarked motorcycles but they had to be sub 1,000 cc.
>
> I have a panel contract with Honda and Yamaha, BMW will be asked to join in the new year.
>
> We have Yamaha XT 660’s and Honda CB650F’s with LED lighting, sirens and Police radios all to our specifications. We have equipped the Honda with ST1300 controls for the emergency systems and from the FZR 1300 for the control of the Yamaha XT’s so the transition for muscle memory for activating the systems is not compromised.

Maybe I'll move to WA, looks like fun.

awayatc
20th December 2014, 06:31
Moving to wa great idea.....
Take all or at least some of your colleagues with you please....?
will donate first couple of hundrd $ towards travel cost.......

bsasuper
20th December 2014, 07:22

That's why the Teneres were an obvious choice.

They used Harley Davidsons then went to FJ1200's and K series beemers in the 90's, very funny watching them trying to catch up to someone on the HD's.