PDA

View Full Version : Locked in a keyless car - really?

p.dath
19th December 2014, 13:11
You just have to wonder at some people.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/motoring/news/article.cfm?c_id=9&objectid=11376218

This couple were locked in their "keyless" car because they didn't have the responder - and didn't manage to figure out you could unlock the door using the door handle ... really?

jasonu
19th December 2014, 13:23
New Zealanders...:facepalm:

BigAl
19th December 2014, 13:27

South Islanders!:bleh:

mashman
19th December 2014, 13:37
That's bloody funny...

"Mrs Smith said it was Guy Fawkes night, and no one would have noticed the horn due to fireworks."

I've yet to see a display that goes on for 13 hours.

Banditbandit
19th December 2014, 13:44
Hey - shallow gene pool south of Oamaru ..

But it makes you wonder how they got into the car in the first place ..

Akzle
19th December 2014, 13:50
its a shame stupidity isnt a capital offence.

Paul in NZ
19th December 2014, 13:52
Yeah I read that too.... But I just thought.... siiighhh.... Poor beggars though, it must have been a bit scary..

Paul in NZ
19th December 2014, 13:53
its a shame stupidity isnt a capital offence.

Very often the sentence is the same anyway...

But lets face it - it would be bloody quiet around here if it was...

Murray
19th December 2014, 13:54
South Islanders!:bleh:

Hey - shallow gene pool south of Oamaru ..

Closer to Gore

13 hours before they became UNSTUCK one might say:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Rhys
19th December 2014, 13:56
They are to stupid to be able to get out of their car but have a drivers licence :no:

Big Dog
19th December 2014, 14:04
That would have won them a Darwin Award for sure.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

p.dath
19th December 2014, 14:08
Lets just say its lucky they don't ride motorcycles. Although perhaps they wouldn't have been able to get the garage door to open.

Tazz
19th December 2014, 14:30

Tinnitus

http://www.clipartbest.com/cliparts/niX/n5E/niXn5EL8T.jpeg

PrincessBandit
19th December 2014, 14:35
My mum spoke to me about the article, effectively bemoaning all these "mod cons" that make things supposedly easier (yet harder for some obviously). Thankfully we spoke over the phone so she didn't see me rolling my eyes theatrically (hopefully she didn't hear the snort of derision that went with it...)

caspernz
19th December 2014, 14:57
Mmmm, I'm thinking backseat, childproof locks set, too chunky to clamber into the front seat...or sitting in the front with a shallow gene pool?

R650R
19th December 2014, 15:13
I'd like to see a pic of the inside of that exact make and model car. We can all laugh but tis amazing how blind one can be once a bit of panic sets in.... and whose never had a bit of 'domestic blindness' trying to find the bottle opener, can opener, tv remote etc only for the missus to spot it instantly once she's decoded your muted grumble (cause your never gonna admit you cant find something lol)....

Awhile back when I upgraded to a significantly newer car I got halfway home in it and went to gas up... I could not for the life of me find the fuel release hoodaki. It did not occur to me for one second that there would not be such a hoodaki fitted to car... I phoned the salesman and left message.... in the meantime I got out of the car working out what level of vandalism would be required and gently pushed on the flap.... it opened! Auto locks when the car locks....
After all that the mechanism failed several months later so it was permanently unlocked.... never got siphoned either.....

Got locked out of a FH Volvo once with engine running, part of the lock mechanism is plastic and when it fails the lock can fall into locked position when door slammed....
Called the mechanic.... his special way in???? Tilt the cab, remove rear window glass and climb in! Jesus could have done that myself!

bogan
19th December 2014, 15:15
We can all laugh

Roger that, resuming cracking up; fucking muppets :laugh:

EJK
19th December 2014, 15:31
If the vehicle was a Porsche 911 (996 variant) then I'd understand. Interior door handles are integrated to the trim on those things.

Gremlin
19th December 2014, 15:50
Abandon licence testing. It seems we can weed out the crap drivers simply by asking them to exit a keyless car... :mellow:

Big Dog
19th December 2014, 15:52
My mum spoke to me about the article, effectively bemoaning all these "mod cons" that make things supposedly easier (yet harder for some obviously). Thankfully we spoke over the phone so she didn't see me rolling my eyes theatrically (hopefully she didn't hear the snort of derision that went with it...)

Does it make you feel like you need to call your mum more often?

It used to make me want to call mine more often when she panicked at me once about how she was going to get out of the garage if the power went off... I had to explain she didn't have an electric side door...

Akzle
19th December 2014, 16:12
Does it make you feel like you need to call your mum more often?

It used to make me want to call mine more often when she panicked at me once about how she was going to get out of the garage if the power went off... I had to explain she didn't have an electric side door...

and these wimmen breed... You.
:bleh:

Big Dog
19th December 2014, 16:15
and these wimmen breed... You.
:bleh:

And you... unless you just dripped off your daddy one morning.

Akzle
19th December 2014, 16:31
And you... unless you just dripped off your daddy one morning.

ahem. My mum never locked herself IN...

Oakie
19th December 2014, 16:52

You haven't seen my mother-in-law then!

jasonu
19th December 2014, 16:59
I'd like to see a pic of the inside of that exact make and model car. We can all laugh but tis amazing how blind one can be once a bit of panic sets in.... and whose never had a bit of 'domestic blindness' trying to find the bottle opener, can opener, tv remote etc only for the missus to spot it instantly once she's decoded your muted grumble (cause your never gonna admit you cant find something lol)....

Awhile back when I upgraded to a significantly newer car I got halfway home in it and went to gas up... I could not for the life of me find the fuel release hoodaki. It did not occur to me for one second that there would not be such a hoodaki fitted to car... I phoned the salesman and left message.... in the meantime I got out of the car working out what level of vandalism would be required and gently pushed on the flap.... it opened! Auto locks when the car locks....
After all that the mechanism failed several months later so it was permanently unlocked.... never got siphoned either.....

Got locked out of a FH Volvo once with engine running, part of the lock mechanism is plastic and when it fails the lock can fall into locked position when door slammed....
Called the mechanic.... his special way in???? Tilt the cab, remove rear window glass and climb in! Jesus could have done that myself!

Did the salesman ever return your call?

mashman
19th December 2014, 17:03
You haven't seen my mother-in-law then!

bwaaaaaaaaa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaa. Mine's absolutely lovely and arrives in the not too distant future.

mashman
19th December 2014, 17:05
Tinnitus

Wife's voice?

Akzle
19th December 2014, 17:10
bwaaaaaaaaa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaa. Mine's absolutely lovely and arrives in the not too distant future.

you poor bastard

Gremlin
19th December 2014, 17:37
Well, if we're adding fun stories, my boss locked himself out of his Fiesta last year (current model or one back perhaps) on a Friday afternoon when the key was inside the car.

Locksmith called out, couldn't get to the key and the way the car dead bolts, you can't pull the lock up or anything and they couldn't reach for the fob. So instead, he had to call me from East Tamaki to Takapuna (ref the previous comment of Friday afternoon) to fetch his house keys (luckily in his pocket) to return to his house in East Auckland and retrieve the spare fob, then go back to Takapuna to deliver...

That was a merry waste of time he didn't live down for a while...

Big Dog
19th December 2014, 17:41
ahem. My mum never locked herself IN...

To be fair neither did my mum... the door wasn't locked... and she wasn't in.
She just called in a panick one day about what should she do if...

But you still have a mother... and she is still a woman.

Big Dog
19th December 2014, 17:43
Well, if we're adding fun stories, my boss locked himself out of his Fiesta last year (current model or one back perhaps) on a Friday afternoon when the key was inside the car.

Locksmith called out, couldn't get to the key and the way the car dead bolts, you can't pull the lock up or anything and they couldn't reach for the fob. So instead, he had to call me from East Tamaki to Takapuna (ref the previous comment of Friday afternoon) to fetch his house keys (luckily in his pocket) to return to his house in East Auckland and retrieve the spare fob, then go back to Takapuna to deliver...

That was a merry waste of time he didn't live down for a while...

That reminds me... I really must get my HISS key copied before I lose the orginal...
I have lost exactly 3 keys in 40.9 years. All on the same keyring but lets not tempt fate.

mashman
19th December 2014, 17:55
you poor bastard

Turning frown upside down... t'will give me time to get a few things completed.

Akzle
19th December 2014, 18:00
But you still have a mother... and she is still a woman.

what, yours isnt still a woman? :bleh:

(i do, and shes a wonderful lady, i mean, fuck, she didnt drown me at birth...)

Swoop
19th December 2014, 18:00
They have cars in the Lower Island????

Fuck me, I thought they only owned tractors and snowmobiles.

Big Dog
19th December 2014, 19:32
what, yours isnt still a woman? :bleh:

(i do, and shes a wonderful lady, i mean, fuck, she didnt drown me at birth...)

Nah, worm food.

pete376403
19th December 2014, 20:09
I suppose they couldn't open the glovebox to read the owners manual either...

BigAl
19th December 2014, 20:38
I'd like to see a pic of the inside of that exact make and model car

Mazda 3, saw it on the telly.

Had a little lever tucked in beside the door opener, which tbh wasn't that hard to see.

They even tried smashing the window but couldn't.

Lucky it wasn't in the states as they'd be suing the arse off Mazda. Lol

Grashopper
19th December 2014, 21:25
Lets just say its lucky they don't ride motorcycles. Although perhaps they wouldn't have been able to get the garage door to open.

If they rode motorbikes it would be equivalent to them being stuck on the bike in front of their garage for 13 hours, because the side stand was stuck and didn't go down...

Big Dog
19th December 2014, 22:33
If they rode motorbikes it would be equivalent to them being stuck on the bike in front of their garage for 13 hours, because the side stand was stuck and didn't go down...

Or stuck on the main stand when they have only ever used a side stand.

awa355
20th December 2014, 05:30
13 hours in a car with a woman?? Could've passed the time re living their youth:msn-wink:

mashman
20th December 2014, 07:07
13 hours in a car with a woman?? Could've passed the time re living their youth:msn-wink:

heh... guaranteed someone would have banged on the window, hee hee, and caught them at it... they'd have been out in minutes.

unstuck
20th December 2014, 07:47

Yeah, but that still leaves 12 hours 55 mins to listen to her nagging at you for not being a real man.:innocent:

@Murray.:niceone:

unstuck
20th December 2014, 07:48

Oh really.....:msn-wink:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SbX_I_lrmIc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>:bleh::bleh:

PrincessBandit
20th December 2014, 09:27
Yeah, but that still leaves 12 hours 55 mins to listen to her nagging at you for not being a real man.:innocent:

@Murray.:niceone:

Must spread more rep.... lol

nodrog
20th December 2014, 10:11
I suppose they couldn't open the glovebox to read the owners manual either...

fuckin retards.

BOGAR
22nd December 2014, 06:57
My car once you press the lock button on the remote, will lock the doors so that they can not be opened from the inside. It even warns you every time you turn the car off that it will do this. I also have keyless entry but i can not imagine a situation that i could be in that i couldn't get out of the car.

Edbear
22nd December 2014, 08:37
My car once you press the lock button on the remote, will lock the doors so that they can not be opened from the inside. It even warns you every time you turn the car off that it will do this. I also have keyless entry but i can not imagine a situation that i could be in that i couldn't get out of the car.

My daughter and her husband have 2 VW Passats. The older one is the same and the only way out is to break a window. The new one has an unlock button.

BOGAR
22nd December 2014, 19:59
My daughter and her husband have 2 VW Passats. The older one is the same and the only way out is to break a window. The new one has an unlock button.

I have just brought a new 2014 Audi A3. Got to say i love the way it drives. As a side note there is no self locking function that i know of.