PDA

View Full Version : If you filmed someone breaking the law...

Waihou Thumper
21st December 2014, 14:12
Would anyone do anything about it?
There are dashboard cams, helmet cams we ride with...
I see the thread about using cell phones in Perth, what if you did it as a citizen?
I mean just innocently riding around and catch someone and at the same time, you film innocently the reg number of the vehicle?
I frequently use a camera and I guess at the end of the day if there was an accident or altercation with a caged driver I would hope my batteries are full...:)

Would the Police do anything if it was viewed/shown in front of them to say, " hey look" at what I just saw.....
This has to be better than *555 right? By the time they arrive, it is long gone and it is a he said she said scenario?

PrincessBandit
21st December 2014, 14:23
It would depend what it was. Texting or using their phone, probably not unless an accident was directly involved at the same time; someone assaulting another person, yes definitely.
Crimes "against" a vehicle, nah probably unless there was a person inside it at the time.

So in 5 words - It Would Depend On the Circumstances. Ooops, that's 6 words. I'm a musician so I can't count past 4...

Waihou Thumper
21st December 2014, 14:28
I'm a musician so I can't count past 4...

4-beat? :)

Blackbird
21st December 2014, 14:52
I probably wouldn't on a single relatively minor incident but did for repeat bad driving that potentially endangered others: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/151642-Is-bad-driving-compulsory?p=1130364859#post1130364859

James Deuce
21st December 2014, 15:03
Please don't dob people in. Life's hard enough without the other inmates making life harder still for you. The Police aren't your friend, the courts aren't your friend, lawyers aren't your friend.

Waihou Thumper
21st December 2014, 15:04
Please don't dob people in. Life's hard enough without the other inmates making life harder still for you. The Police aren't you're friend, the courts aren't your friend, lawyers aren't your friend.

And the next time someone you know is killed or you yourself has a close call mate?

Swoop
21st December 2014, 15:05
+1 for James 2's comments.

Tazz
21st December 2014, 15:12
Not unless it was something major. That's all cops are apparently paid to do anyway. Just rude taking that away from them :laugh:
Something like a drunk driver clipping another car or a dick majorly cutting every corner on QCD or SH75 I've *555'd before, only 5 times total though.

And a muso should at least make it to 8 :bleh:

caspernz
21st December 2014, 15:22
Kind of on the fence here. All our trucks are fitted with the dashcam thingee which is triggered automatically by a harsh event, or we can trip them manually. We often don't hear of an outcome until weeks later when the reporting list comes back, date/time/location and charge/fine that was laid against the offending driver...typically a car driver suffering from MFFY syndrome...taking risks around a fuel tanker :facepalm:

Not sure if I'd want to go down the path of running a camera on my private vehicles though, I'm of the opinion that if someone wants to take on the role of a LEO then they should apply to the college in Porirua at the intake. Quite apart from the fact that on the odd occasion I might find myself wandering into the grey area...would I want to be on the receiving end of a wannabe cops' attention?

unstuck
21st December 2014, 15:24

Thats a little off-beat.:innocent:

mossy1200
21st December 2014, 15:27
If someone causes an accident then claims it wasn't their fault and wont accept liability I would.

I had a head on with another vehicle on Hataitai Rd (twisty welly back st). I had stopped completely while she (driving ministry of Justice work vehicle) was talking on her phone and to her daughter never even saw us before impact then tried to claim no liability. Lucky for us we had a witness overlooking the accident from their house come out and gave a statement.

Note.This happened just prior to cell phone bans.

Tazz
21st December 2014, 15:29
Thats a little off-beat.:innocent:

Shit mate you're volante with the scherzo:2thumbsup

JimO
21st December 2014, 16:13
not quite the same thing but a few years ago i was working in a cemetary and observed a couple of dodgy looking carachters in a distinctive car loitering around the childrens section, after they left i mosied on down to have a look at what they were up to and the cunts had planted a dozen cannibis plants in a garden plot right beside a row of childrens headstones, i dont really give a fuck if people want to smoke weed or grow it but i felt the location certanily wasnt the right place so i called the cops and a nice gentleman came by in a commodore and removed the plants, he asked me if i got the rego and what sort of car but i said i didnt really notice the car so he left. Apparantly cemetarys are a good spot for this carry on as there is a water supply and you can come and go without being to obvious. I went and left a note for the wrongdooers saying they could pick up their plants from the local coppers

oldrider
21st December 2014, 16:40
Kind of on the fence here. All our trucks are fitted with the dashcam thingee which is triggered automatically by a harsh event, or we can trip them manually. We often don't hear of an outcome until weeks later when the reporting list comes back, date/time/location and charge/fine that was laid against the offending driver...typically a car driver suffering from MFFY syndrome...taking risks around a fuel tanker :facepalm:

Not sure if I'd want to go down the path of running a camera on my private vehicles though, I'm of the opinion that if someone wants to take on the role of a LEO then they should apply to the college in Porirua at the intake. Quite apart from the fact that on the odd occasion I might find myself wandering into the grey area...would I want to be on the receiving end of a wannabe cops' attention?

Got caught up with one of these wannabe traffic zealots the other day! We don't travel fast and take risks these days as there is no need!

Had a truck passing (Halls) opportunity so took it just before a 70kph zone - utility in front of truck slows down quickly and takes up my space!

Should have been able to complete the maneuver quite comfortably without this fuckwit pissing about slowing down and then speeding up!

Dilemma - stop dead and squeeze back in behind truck or gun it and get passed the utility into a very limited but clear space!

Took the latter decision and cleared them both with the utility driver going ape blowing his horn waving his arms out the window mouthing obscenities!

The utility driver also tried to speed up and close off my gap - we were not amused - Halls truck driver did nothing wrong and did not add to the situation.

I think I know who this prick is and will be keeping a look out for him in the future - spose he went to the Police station and laid a complaint about us ffs!

We were not in any hurry and were actually only going to a funeral in Oamaru that afternoon. (did not want it to be ours )

FJRider
21st December 2014, 16:57
+1 for James 2's comments.

And HE (or his family) won't "Dob In" any that kills (or nearly kills him) HIM in a road incident ... yeah right.

AllanB
21st December 2014, 17:18
I detest those stupid cameras. Who the fuck even watches the video? Don't bore me with hours of your 'ride' footage - I'd rather be on my own bike riding.

And fuck those Google glasses that record stuff too - if I want to pick my nose I don’t expect some cunt to record it and put it on Facebook!

Back to the subject - yes if the actions of the person or persons were truly criminal or dangerously stupid. NO for general offenses.

Foer example I passed several cars on my motorcycle today - I was speeding. I may have put the shits up a half asleep car driver tooling along full of pre Christmas lunch dozing at the wheel in the sun - the noise of my bike fatting past may have caused him to slightly wet himself (you know just a squirt, enough to show a 50 cent pieces worth of wetness on ya trousers and just enough to get a hint of urine in the air).

If the above driver had a Go-pro and dopped me in for doing slightly over the limit I'd not be impressed.

James Deuce
21st December 2014, 17:20
And the next time someone you know is killed or you yourself has a close call mate?

Depends on the circumstances. Close calls simply aren't worth wasting 2 kilocalories on. Killed? Depends on the circumstances. Sadly, all but two of the deaths of mates in the last 10-15 years have been what we call avoidable and the two remaining were racing incidents.

James Deuce
21st December 2014, 17:28
And HE (or his family) won't "Dob In" any that kills (or nearly kills him) HIM in a road incident ... yeah right.

Sorry, are you referring to something specific? If someone specifically contributes to death or injury they can expect to be punished for it, in an appropriate fashion, that is to say; not punished very much for killing someone because it seems to be Ok to kill or injure people on the road. Accident you know. In terms of my family providing witness statements for an accident that has been attended by the Police, that would be extremely unlikely. None of them ride or go on rides with me, so it will be up to a riding buddy or the other party to relay the situation to the attending Police officer.

"Dobbing in" is the act of behaving like a know it all little Nazi and expressing your displeasure at someone not doing that driving or riding thing the same way you do. Adding footage to the complaint is just a shit thing to do.

I don't think you are talking about the same thing as the rest of us.

Waihou Thumper
21st December 2014, 17:30
I detest those stupid cameras. Who the fuck even watches the video? Don't bore me with hours of your 'ride' footage - I'd rather be on my own bike riding.

And fuck those Google glasses that record stuff too - if I want to pick my nose I don’t expect some cunt to record it and put it on Facebook!

Back to the subject - yes if the actions of the person or persons were truly criminal or dangerously stupid. NO for general offenses.

Foer example I passed several cars on my motorcycle today - I was speeding. I may have put the shits up a half asleep car driver tooling along full of pre Christmas lunch dozing at the wheel in the sun - the noise of my bike fatting past may have caused him to slightly wet himself (you know just a squirt, enough to show a 50 cent pieces worth of wetness on ya trousers and just enough to get a hint of urine in the air).

If the above driver had a Go-pro and dopped me in for doing slightly over the limit I'd not be impressed.

Not what I am after. Speeding, shmeeding, who gives a toss! Go out and hit 200 kph is all I care mate.
I am referring to the other person, you can be responsible for your own safety and if you choose to speed and be a dick, then go for it.
Small offences, yeah, nada.
What about dangerous situations that makes your aforementioned comment relevant except rather than a 50 cent wet spot, it is a shit stain affair...:)
Oh, and use spell check....:msn-wink:

PrincessBandit
21st December 2014, 17:33

Hahaha, that would be 1&2&3&4& for me

Shit mate you're volante with the scherzo:2thumbsup

I like scherzando... "playfully" sums me up every time the moon is blue

Eeeewwww, that was you??

FJRider
21st December 2014, 17:41
Sorry, are you referring to something specific? If someone specifically contributes to death or injury they can expect to be punished for it, in an appropriate fashion, that is to say; not punished very much for killing someone because it seems to be Ok to kill or injure people on the road. Accident you know. In terms of my family providing witness statements for an accident that has been attended by the Police, that would be extremely unlikely. None of them ride or go on rides with me, so it will be up to a riding buddy or the other party to relay the situation to the attending Police officer.

"Dobbing in" is the act of behaving like a know it all little Nazi and expressing your displeasure at someone not doing that driving or riding thing the same way you do. Adding footage to the complaint is just a shit thing to do.

I don't think you are talking about the same thing as the rest of us.

But ... :scratch:

if ... :innocent:

NO OTHER VEHICLES WERE INVOLVED ... "Dobbing in" ... CAN'T happen ... :pinch:

FJRider
21st December 2014, 17:43
... If the above driver had a Go-pro and dopped me in for doing slightly over the limit I'd not be impressed.

I would be ... it is a honda after all ... :cool:

R650R
21st December 2014, 17:53
Bit of a mute question really, its more of would you dob in/*555 a dangerous driver. The fact you have video is just a conveniant extra.
Just be aware if you turn it into a hobby like that cycle prick in Auckland who was on the news the cops stop taking you seriously, so best reserved for extreme bad moves.

I did actually film another truck cutting me off (in another truck) on a passing lane once. The worst thing was we were both empty I was on cruise control at 94 and he wanted to go 1 k faster.
Funny thing though posting it on truck forum about half thought it was ok to initiate a fwit move like that where you know it wont work...

But where would you draw the line... don't worry big brother will be doing it all soon anyway via our phones...

Swoop
21st December 2014, 18:38
I'm pretty sure J2 didn't dob in the sheep that attempted to get him.
Didn't even invite it to a bbq as a guest of honour, either.

DHAMIK.

FJRider
21st December 2014, 18:43
I'm pretty sure J2 didn't dob in the sheep that attempted to get him.
Didn't even invite it to a bbq as a guest of honour, either.

DHAMIK.

No other vehicle involved means RIDER fault.

Apparently ...

Read post #21 in THIS thread ...

AllanB
21st December 2014, 19:19
Not what I am after. Speeding, shmeeding, who gives a toss! Go out and hit 200 kph is all I care mate.
I am referring to the other person, you can be responsible for your own safety and if you choose to speed and be a dick, then go for it.
Small offences, yeah, nada.
What about dangerous situations that makes your aforementioned comment relevant except rather than a 50 cent wet spot, it is a shit stain affair...:)
Oh, and use spell check....:msn-wink:

Farking spell check not working proper .......... must fix - depends on which laptop I'm using bawahahahahahah

Anyway - though your point is relevant for serious offending (and the answer would be 'yes' if serious) mine is equally relevant in the use of those darn cameras. you pass a car at say 120 - with a acceptable degree of care etc - but the old biddy has no idea how careful you were as she has never been on a motorcycle (or anything that may cause excitement between her legs). She dottles off to the Police with her camera and you get a knock on the door from the po-po.

PS - noise control are useless arses. They almost need a complainer to provide a certified db reading to act. Arses.

James Deuce
21st December 2014, 19:59
But ... :scratch:

if ... :innocent:

NO OTHER VEHICLES WERE INVOLVED ... "Dobbing in" ... CAN'T happen ... :pinch:

Not entirely true. However it's difficult to pin something on someone when they remove the tag from the ear of the dead sheep, along with the ear and the three farmers who border the road all go, "Not MY sheep."

What are you gonna do?

Plus you're still not understanding the concept of "dobbing in".

It's when you behave like a busybody fuckwit and get involved in something that has absolutely nothing to do with you, typically a situation where you suffered no material loss or physical harm, but are affronted by someone else's behaviour that doesn't meet your own narrow definition of "acceptable". If you then submit film to the cops of the person that did nothing to directly or materially harm you, you're a fucking miserable "dobber inner". And you can go fuck yourself.

Acting as a witness to a crime or being the victim of one and seeking redress is not "dobbing in". Have you got it yet?

haydes55
21st December 2014, 20:21
Would you dob this douche in?

Madness
21st December 2014, 20:27
Would you dob this douche in?

Definitely. Blockheads on the dash today, underage bestiality tomorrow. Sick fuck.

Akzle
21st December 2014, 20:29
snitches is bitches.

FJRider
21st December 2014, 20:44
... Acting as a witness to a crime or being the victim of one and seeking redress is not "dobbing in". Have you got it yet?

Like filming a car run into the back of a motorcycle stopped at the lights ... and passing on to the authorities .... or would that NOT be "Criminall" ... ??? :scratch:

Some would call it criminal ... only if THEY were the one on the bike ... :laugh:

Winston001
21st December 2014, 23:16
Plus you're still not understanding the concept of "dobbing in".

It's when you behave like a busybody fuckwit and get involved in something that has absolutely nothing to do with you, typically a situation where you suffered no material loss or physical harm, but are affronted by someone else's behaviour that doesn't meet your own narrow definition of "acceptable". If you then submit film to the cops of the person that did nothing to directly or materially harm you, you're a fucking miserable "dobber inner". And you can go fuck yourself.

Acting as a witness to a crime or being the victim of one and seeking redress is not "dobbing in". Have you got it yet?

Please don't dob people in. Life's hard enough without the other inmates making life harder still for you. The Police aren't your friend, the courts aren't your friend, lawyers aren't your friend.

Jim...

Seriously?

Death riding/driving is just fine so long as you don't see the accident?

My wife with our precious children on board had a near miss in the Kawaura Gorge. She dialled *555 and later learned she was one of three callers. The driver was stopped and arrested in Cromwell. Faarg him. Accidents in the Kawarau Gorge are almost always fatal: there's a Unimog and a soldier over the side never found. The other soldiers are dead.

One of the good things about growing older is gaining patience and wisdom. A greater appreciation of the importance of other people.

Jim, I'm afraid the wisdom genes passed you by.

I do not understand your bitterness and your contempt for anyone outside your circle. Maybe its the internet and you aren't really like this. Whatever, please reflect on what you have said above. Dead is dead and if you did nothing to prevent it

mossy1200
22nd December 2014, 06:14
I think you will find everyone has their own line in the sand somewhere between random on cell phone driving and seeing a dead body in the back seat where they will report something.

RDJ
22nd December 2014, 06:37

What James said.

oldrider
22nd December 2014, 06:51
Crossing the center line is a very bad habit to get into - safe or unsafe - in the city most stay in their lanes - in the country - fuck me!!!! :facepalm:

Nowadays it is every trip it gets worse and worse - especially heading to Wanaka or Queenstown via the Lindis pass it's chronic! :brick:

nodrog
22nd December 2014, 07:43
What a bunch of fucken wowsers.

Blackbird
22nd December 2014, 07:58

I'm a bit puzzled Jim. A couple of years back when I posted photos of a company ute repeatedly going round blind corners on the wrong side of the road, this is what you said:

I have no patience for the driving displayed in Geoff's photos. I don't care if these people or companies are publicly outed in an Internet forum, or whether that punishment fits the crime. It still won't get close to the punishment people like that driver visit on undeserving recipients, usually with a sense of entitlement and disbelief that anyone could possibly think they're a crap driver.

I know that it is unlikely that there will be any meaningful repercussions for these people and I personally think, after 30 years of pain and loss, that these incidents should be judged by the most extreme potential outcome with a specific set of charges and outcomes for that sentencing. If it is a company vehicle, the response from the company should always be suspension pending dismissal. That includes all forms of professional drivers, from Government employees to owner/operators. If the driver chooses the education process and pays for it, by all means rehabilitate. If they have to be "sentenced" for that to happen, that displays the type of attitude to driving that should have prevented the acquisition of a license in the first place.

What's made you change your views?

Flip
22nd December 2014, 08:29
I was under the impression that breaking a traffic regulation, like minor speeding is not prosecutable (easily) after the fact but breaking the law is, eg careless causing...

What would happen if the person took the charge to court, would you stand up in court and be able to withstand a cross examination..... The first queston would be about your traffic prosecution history and the second would be what is your qualification.

James Deuce
22nd December 2014, 08:39
Jim...

Seriously?

Death riding/driving is just fine so long as you don't see the accident?

My wife with our precious children on board had a near miss in the Kawaura Gorge. She dialled *555 and later learned she was one of three callers. The driver was stopped and arrested in Cromwell. Faarg him. Accidents in the Kawarau Gorge are almost always fatal: there's a Unimog and a soldier over the side never found. The other soldiers are dead.

One of the good things about growing older is gaining patience and wisdom. A greater appreciation of the importance of other people.

Jim, I'm afraid the wisdom genes passed you by.

I do not understand your bitterness and your contempt for anyone outside your circle. Maybe its the internet and you aren't really like this. Whatever, please reflect on what you have said above. Dead is dead and if you did nothing to prevent it

99% of people who *555 are professional time wasters who think that using an overtaking lane is illegal. The sort of people who write letters to the editor and complain about being offended by things people write on the Internet. Most people lack the objective perspective to determine the difference between someone competently using a vehicle for what it was meant for and a properly dangerous act or behaviour.

Your wife made a correct judgment call. In my experience that is a rare anomoly. Death and injury are perfectly OK on NZ roads. But did she prevent death or injury? No. The driver was arrested in Cromwell. There is nothing worse than a citizenry who are willing to turn their own in because the authorities suggest it is the right thing to do.

My personal experience is that people will do what they can to avoid blame, up to and including not getting help for injured people provided they aren't going to be held responsible.

My "circle"? What are you on about? An "Internet persona" you say?

James Deuce
22nd December 2014, 08:40
I'm a bit puzzled Jim. A couple of years back when I posted photos of a company ute repeatedly going round blind corners on the wrong side of the road, this is what you said:

I have no patience for the driving displayed in Geoff's photos. I don't care if these people or companies are publicly outed in an Internet forum, or whether that punishment fits the crime. It still won't get close to the punishment people like that driver visit on undeserving recipients, usually with a sense of entitlement and disbelief that anyone could possibly think they're a crap driver.

I know that it is unlikely that there will be any meaningful repercussions for these people and I personally think, after 30 years of pain and loss, that these incidents should be judged by the most extreme potential outcome with a specific set of charges and outcomes for that sentencing. If it is a company vehicle, the response from the company should always be suspension pending dismissal. That includes all forms of professional drivers, from Government employees to owner/operators. If the driver chooses the education process and pays for it, by all means rehabilitate. If they have to be "sentenced" for that to happen, that displays the type of attitude to driving that should have prevented the acquisition of a license in the first place.

What's made you change your views?

People change.

willytheekid
22nd December 2014, 08:45
I quite often have a HD camera hidden on my bike (friggin roads broke ANOTHER mount tho, so not presently)

Its not for "dobbing people in" tho :no:

...its for when some muppet runs a red, or ANOTHER! :angry2: repeat drunk driver slams into me, and leaves me lying on the side of the road, broken and unable to tell my side of the incident due to being unconscious or worse! :(...cameras can speak for you when you cannot not!

...but as OP waihou states...those bloody batteries are the limiting factor :laugh: (hence Im hoping to put permanent powered HD cams on the bike, front & rear)

Ride safe over the holidays KBers :love:

Blackbird
22nd December 2014, 09:17
People change.

Fair enough - presumably as a result of a personal experience or some deep thought. The same conditions apply to me with respect to intolerance of corner-cutting and crossing the centre line. Apart from the potential for me being taken out on numerous occasions, my best friend was killed by a driver crossing the centre line. My wife and I, accompanied by a local police officer; broke the news to his wife and children. That's something you never want to do more than once in a lifetime.

haydes55
22nd December 2014, 17:39
Go on facebook and look at the page NZ road Muppets. Or something similar, the host of the page banned me because I argued with him (I know, big surprise, me arguing with randoms on the Internet about road safety!). The picture series he was bitching about, an SUV apparently overtook him going 130km/h on double yellow lines after tailgating him. The pictures showed the SUV had over 100m visible road in front when he completed the pass, and the road was coastal with only a few driveways on the left lane. I said the driver was never going to rear end his car, because he was speeding and overtaking, not asleep and drunk, he broke the law going over double yellow, but that wasn't unsafe as he had clear path to overtake, and 130km/h is not an unsafe speed, many countries have higher limits, what makes our roads any more inherently dangerous, it's not like you explode over a certain speed, and physics depends on what country you're in.

So I. Can see James Dueces point, retards will always try dob in safe drivers for bureaucratic technicalities rather than actual safety breaches. A "victim" of seeing a bad driver will ALWAYS exaggerate the extent of any "offending" and camera angles can be very misleading.

willytheekid
23rd December 2014, 13:37
Speaking of cameras

...holy Jebus!:crazy:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/64414450/dashcam-records-dangerous-wellington-driving

Ride safe over the break Kbers :love:

neels
23rd December 2014, 13:53
If someone causes an accident then claims it wasn't their fault and wont accept liability I would.

I had a head on with another vehicle on Hataitai Rd (twisty welly back st). I had stopped completely while she (driving ministry of Justice work vehicle) was talking on her phone and to her daughter never even saw us before impact then tried to claim no liability. Lucky for us we had a witness overlooking the accident from their house come out and gave a statement.

This is probably the only time I'd use a recording too.

Have recently had a very similar experience to the above, except without a witness, so his insurance company are believing his statement and there's fuck all I can do about it.

The nice chap at my insurance company did ask about a dash cam, and suggested if you have an accident don't tell the other party, as it's much more fun for them when they have proof that someone has made a false statement.

PS - noise control are useless arses. They almost need a complainer to provide a certified db reading to act. Arses.
They've been pretty effective, as well as very polite, the last couple of times they've been to our place. :rolleyes:

Laava
23rd December 2014, 16:25
It would depend what it was. Texting or using their phone, probably not unless an accident was directly involved at the same time; someone assaulting another person, yes definitely.
Crimes "against" a vehicle, nah probably unless there was a person inside it at the time.

So in 5 words - It Would Depend On the Circumstances. Ooops, that's 6 words. I'm a musician so I can't count past 4...

No 12bar for you then?