PDA

View Full Version : 3M Stoneguard

BlackSheepLogic
24th December 2014, 15:17
Stoneguard is a plastic film which can be applied to panels to prevent scratches and stone chips. It’s applied in a similar manner to window film by spraying the area with soapy water then laying the Stoneguard on the panel. Once position you use a squeegee.

I have used it on several bikes to protect the tank from being damaged by a tank bag. The magnetic tank bags still hold firmly to the tank even though the Stoneguard is covering the tank.

My current tank bags use a locking ring which is attached to the tank filler. The tank bags are clipped on to this ring. I opted for this style of tank bag mainly for the secure fit but a benefit of this system is that the tank bags are not in contact with the tank. However, I cam across several threads where over time these tank bags can sag and damage the surface of the tank so I have also used Stoneguard on the top surface of the tank on my current bike.

If you want to install this yourself, a small roll of Stoneguard when I last checked was ~$30.00. As an alternative I talked to a vehicle signage company locally and they would sell a small piece of this and cut it to fit.

I’m sure there are other similar products out there but I have used this 3M product several time and been very happy with it’s ability to protect the surface and also stay in place over time.

98tls
25th December 2014, 17:11
Tis indeed great stuff my old S is covered in it and all these years later barely a mark/chip on it,even used it on forks etc.

Metastable
25th December 2014, 17:34
Good stuff, installation is key. Important to have a clean surface. Don't use any cleaner, just stick with Alcohol (not the drinking kind :D ) . BTW, a similar system use to (maybe still is) used on the landing gear of the A380 Airbus to protect the rear landing gear sections. Some of the sections are made from Titanium. Mind you this is more of an industrial strength (gray in colour) and the edges need to be covered to prevent damage from the hydraulic fuel they use in airplanes. However, the concept is the same.