PDA

View Full Version : Adaptiv sport bike mount

BlackSheepLogic
25th December 2014, 08:57
For my Busa the Adaptiv Sport bike mount 24-32 / PN: D-01-03

This mount is similar to the RAM stem mount but instead of a expanding plug which holds the RAM stem mount in place, the Adaptiv Sport bike mount replaces the stem nut.

The Ram stem mount worked OK but it would move a little in the stem and the RAM mount arm would also move no matter how tightly it was done up. It was a minor annoyance and on the Busa I did not know of any other good mounting options.

I came across this mounting system while looking though a thread on levers for the Busa on the hayabusa forums. I purchased this mount though Pashint.

The mount came with a small ball mount which replaces the stem nut, a short arm, and mounting plates. The mounting plate connects to the arm using a matching small ball and a top plate then connects to the ball mount with rubber grommets and locking nuts. The design of the top plate with rubber mounts is to reduce vibration.

The top plate has 8 holes arranged an AMPS hole pattens and can use M4 or M6 screws depending on which set of holes you select.

Mounting of the device can be done using the mounting hardware included or you can purchase a device cradle if needed.

To mount the Garmin 590 GPS which uses a AMPS hole patten required grinding about 4mm off a section of the mounting plate as the Garmin cradle had an interference issue with the top plate where the Garmin cable attached to the cradle. Grinding out this relief meant I did not need to purchase an Adaptiv cradle for my GPS.

Installing this on the bike is very simple but requires a torque wrench to correctly install the stem nut mount. I don’t have a torque wrench to do this and took it to the local bike shop to have it fitted. They also ground the top plate relief since I do not have a grinder either.

I positioned the GPS on the mount and locked it down with a blue lock tight. I have had no issues with the GPS moving and the range of movement when positioning the GPS was excellent.

The Adaptiv Sport Bike Mount cost US$80.00 which is less than the total cost of a RAM stem mount + arm + adapter plate. It’s also a more secure mount, with better adjustment than the RAM stem mount. Also having the rubber grommets between the two top plate sections to reduce vibration is another positive for this mounting system.

You can find more information about this mounting system here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2U0P3m9r4Y

I recommend this mounting system over the RAM stem mount and I am very happy with the quality and overall design of this. I would absolutely purchase this product again. The only downside is that I’ve not seen it available locally here in NZ.