PDA

View Full Version : General Questions

thommo404
16th September 2005, 11:24
Hi Guy's,
First time poster, long time reader. I have a 1989 ZXR250a and just wanted to know if anyone else has a little trouble starting there bike. I try to start mine with the choke on, no throttle but it doesn't quite kick over. Leave it sit for 5-10mins and it usually starts. Any ideas?

Thommo404

bugjuice
16th September 2005, 11:27
welcome to the site ;)

was gonna say it might be a little too cold, but doubtful in Oz :D
how does the bike run when it's warm and riding around? Most bikes around that age need a little encouragement from the gas to get 'em going.. else have you checked the plugs and things like that?

thommo404
16th September 2005, 11:31
Just had the plugs changed. Talking of the cold i am moving to Canberra in december so the winters are pretty cold down there. Anything i should do for it down there so i don't have any trouble.

Thommo404

sefer
16th September 2005, 12:32
My zxr250c starts fine with choke and no throttle usually (throttle usually floods it), but lately I've found I've got to give the throttle a little twist just to get it to fire, then leave it again untill it's warmed a little (enough time to get my helmet and gloves on).

Westy
16th September 2005, 16:42
Yeah Ive just fitted a new engine to my zxr 250a it is now a c running all the a accessories and to start first thing in the morning I need about 1/3 choke for about 10 seconds then it just idles away until its warm. Old engine was always a bastrad to start. After its warmed up once it seems to start well all day. Even when its really cold.

froggyfrenchman
16th September 2005, 16:49
Welcome to the madhouse

R6_kid
16th September 2005, 23:01
its a (old) kawasaki, not to mention a 'race-spec' or just pure high revving engine. It works best above 12k so you should expect it to be a bit of a bitch before its warm (this is quite true with the larger examples).

Mine starts everytime (so far) with a full choke, i leave it on the choke till i have my gloves and helmet on, then take it off choke, give it a rev (to between 4 and 6) then let it idle for about 30sec, adding throttle as needed.
Runs sweet once its warm and will start no choke up to 3hrs after riding.

LXS
18th September 2005, 22:05
its a (old) kawasaki, not to mention a 'race-spec' or just pure high revving engine. It works best above 12k so you should expect it to be a bit of a bitch before its warm (this is quite true with the larger examples).

Mine starts everytime (so far) with a full choke, i leave it on the choke till i have my gloves and helmet on, then take it off choke, give it a rev (to between 4 and 6) then let it idle for about 30sec, adding throttle as needed.
Runs sweet once its warm and will start no choke up to 3hrs after riding.

I do exactly the same for my gpx.
mines an 87, so far its started first time everytime (touch wood).

:Punk:

FROSTY
18th September 2005, 22:16
a couple of things to get checked.Make sure all the tappets are set propperly
and make sure the carbs have been set up --that can make the bike a bitch to start