PDA

View Full Version : Distance

thommo404
16th September 2005, 11:29
Me Again,
Just wondering how far people travel on there bikes and how often. At the moment and for the next 12 weeks i am riding 6 or 7 days a week doing 290kms each day. 145kms one way and 145kms back home. I use it to commute to and from work. Most of the ride (approx. 120kms each way is on the freeway. 110km/hr.) Anyone else do this sort of distance everyday on a 250. I haven't been riding for long so how often should i grease the chain and how do i do it. Also the oil is there a dipstick or something.

Cheers
Thommo404

N4CR
16th September 2005, 11:44
Use search and you can find some of the answers in better detail than I'll tell you - oil your chain every 600-1200km's depending on if it gets wet, grit etc in it. And depending on the oil used. My new stuff has lasted around 1000 km's now and I'm quite impressed with it, but it is starting to get a little congealed.

I suppose it all depends on how much you love your chain ;) there are some good chain cleaning threads so have a look around for them.

I do about 20-30kms a day and sometimes more... up to 60 or so (just for work). Next couple of weeks I will be doing 60km's monday to saturday commuting out to a two week pilot liscence course.. motorway though so it's boring. I average out over 1000km's a month usually.

Welcome by the way :P

DemonWolf
16th September 2005, 11:53
hmmm, I'm doing 160k's a day commute... Nearly done 3500km's (actually prolly abit over.) since I've brought the bike, (Just over a month.)

XTC
16th September 2005, 12:33
My new stuff has lasted around 1000 km's now and I'm quite impressed with it, but it is starting to get a little congealed.:P

1000 kms and your oil is getting congealed??? What do you mean "Congealed"