PDA

View Full Version : Tyre pando or road side repair kits?

mikie51
3rd January 2015, 16:30
anybody had any experience with roadside Tyre repair kits, CHEERS Mike

fridayflash
3rd January 2015, 16:44
ive tried tyre pando a few times..in desparation and both times they went down pretty quickly and make a mess to clean up when changing tube again later. i have no experience with mushroom plug type thingees for tubeless but am keen to hear whats what:rolleyes:

AllanB
3rd January 2015, 18:15
Used Pandos years back - messy crap. I've been carrying one of those plug patch kits for 7 years now - not had to use but I reckon the day I forget to put that bum pouch on I'll get a flat :violin:

Note - I was in a shop a day or so back (Repco?) bloke asking about Pandas for motorcycles and he was told they do not recommend them for bikes.

pete376403
3rd January 2015, 19:54
I've never had sucess with Pando, Slime, etc with tubes. They probably work ok with tubeless tyres.

Trade_nancy
3rd January 2015, 20:07
I've used the Pando eons ago...it worked. Have one that I carry in the long haul kit...but I now rely on plug kit as 1st resort. The Pando will make a mess of the inside of your tyre/tube..but it will maybe get you home...repairer will hate you.
I have used the plugs with success. Easy. Put two into my previous rear tyre before I replaced it. Didn't have to use the compressed air cartridges to inflate though as I was at home and pumped up with the compressor. I have a kit of mini adapter with 4 x CO2 cartridges..cost $45 or so from Cycletreads. I also carry a compact bicycle pump on tours in case of option 1 inflation method failing.

mikie51
4th January 2015, 08:03
thanks for advise folks,i will check out plug kit as well as co2 for inflating, Cheers Mikie

BlackSheepLogic
4th January 2015, 08:49
I've used the Pando eons ago...it worked. Have one that I carry in the long haul kit...but I now rely on plug kit as 1st resort

I've only used the plug on a car, so far not needed to on a bike. Thy did a good job and sealed up the hole for the remainder of the tyre life. On a bike I would use them to get home, just not sure I would rely on that fix long term.

nzspokes
4th January 2015, 08:59
Used a plug recently on a group ride and it worked well. Just remember that CO2 bleeds through the tyre quickly so check your tyre pressure at the next available air. But it will get you home. If the tyre looks a bit flat the next day dont panic as it will most likely be the CO2 bleeding out. Just pump it up and get the tyre fixed properly.

Blackbird
4th January 2015, 12:28
I carry a small inflator. Bought one of those car inflators from the Warehouse in a big plastic box, threw the box away (which had very little inside) and was left with a compressor which was only 11cm long. Chopped off the cigarette plug and fitted a couple of croc clips which can be connected to the battery. Have a Gryyp repair kit which have screw-in plugs. Figured they would be a lot quicker and easier to use than the old rope-type repair kits if it was dark or pissing down. Touch wood, haven't had to use it yet. Photos of both attached.

aws
4th January 2015, 23:37
Used plug on same ride as Spokes a few weeks back. Just remember that they are only a temporary fix and need to be replaced as soon as practical. This is so the inside the tyre can be inspected for damage. Same would go for any other emergency repair method.

Gremlin
4th January 2015, 23:55
Used plugs (or dog turds, the sticky brown strips) several times, all worked reasonably well. Some for short periods like get home, others for a few thousand km.

I don't bother with the air cartridges, as the supplied amount doesn't inflate your tyre to proper pressure. I've carried a compressor for a few years now, used it heaps (even to maintain tyre pressure), and rely on that instead.

Winston001
5th January 2015, 00:37
I've got CO2 cartridges which fast inflate and you better mind your fingers for frost bite. Seriously. Very nasty but they work long enough to get you to a garage. Assuming the leak is small.

Winston001
5th January 2015, 00:43
My brother-in-law just bought a 2013 Kia and it doesn't have a spare tyre. Instead there is a Pando type cylinder which is used in an emergency.

awayatc
5th January 2015, 07:24
Compressors.....?
co2 cartridges.....?
really.....?
little bicycle pump...small, cheap, easy to use, unlimited amounts of air.....

yes have used it a fair few times in anger

Flip
5th January 2015, 12:45
Compressors.....?
co2 cartridges.....?
really.....?
little bicycle pump...small, cheap, easy to use, unlimited amounts of air.....

yes have used it a fair few times in anger

Thats the way I feel also. I carry a bike pump, it just takes a while to get 30psi into a mc tyre.

AllanB
5th January 2015, 16:50
My brother-in-law just bought a 2013 Kia and it doesn't have a spare tyre. Instead there is a Pando type cylinder which is used in an emergency.

Now that's a space saver!

Actually that's shit. No room for a spare?