PDA

View Full Version : DR650 chain roller question

Leyton
6th January 2015, 17:40
Hello

Well, My new bike old finally arrived.

And I had previously asked about the Chain roller, eg.. has it been taken off... or is there a 50c hole in the frame.

Unfortunately the later is the case. There is a 50c hole in the frame.

Has this ever been a problem for WOF's ?

I'm toying up having this bike sent back to the dealer.. however despite the oil hemerage from the cam chain tensioner... and slightly bent bars she rides great!!! Once you have your foot held firmly on the exhaust shield to stop the rattle... So with the minor details aside.

Has the hole in the frame caused any issues for you guys ?

Cheers in advance
Leyton Smith

R650R
6th January 2015, 18:13
If you bought this from a dealer I'd be expecting it to be fixed or refund and just buy another DR, there are plenty about.
It will be an issue long term if unattended, crap will build up and corrode your frame from the inside out.

Leyton
6th January 2015, 18:23
If you bought this from a dealer I'd be expecting it to be fixed or refund and just buy another DR, there are plenty about.
It will be an issue long term if unattended, crap will build up and corrode your frame from the inside out.

Yeah sorta my conclusion too, Man that sucks :( Finally get my bike and it has to be sent back. I hope there is not too much trouble getting a refund.

They have already spent about $1k on tickling it up just to get it to my door!, Attention to detail eh

GUTTED!

R650R
6th January 2015, 18:29
Yeah sorta my conclusion too, Man that sucks :( Finally get my bike and it has to be sent back. I hope there is not too much trouble getting a refund.

They have already spent about $1k on tickling it up just to get it to my door!, Attention to detail eh

GUTTED!

Put everything in writing as complaint to the dealer before you move the bike anywhere. If your not good at writing clearly get a friend to help.
Ring first and say hey there is an issue and that your sending them an email or letter.
Accept any solution/offer of repair in writing only and get a timeframe estimate

R650R
6th January 2015, 18:30
BTW at least your bike is in NZ and bought in NZ.
Mate bought a Duke in from UK and major issues....

Leyton
6th January 2015, 18:43
Put everything in writing as complaint to the dealer before you move the bike anywhere. If your not good at writing clearly get a friend to help.
Ring first and say hey there is an issue and that your sending them an email or letter.
Accept any solution/offer of repair in writing only and get a timeframe estimate

Yeah I have already written a letter :P Has a few spelling mistakes!! Very sleep deprived with a new born.. this little tolerance LOL..

But I would be happy if they paid a local bike shop to do the repair. It will save sending the bike down the country.

Will see what happens tomorrow.

I have sent a picture of the hole and been fairly diplomatic about it all. I'm a reasonable guy!, But I did ask the question about the hole and would have have purchased it if I had of known there was frame damage like this.

Cheers for your advice!

Murray
6th January 2015, 18:46
Yeah I have already written a letter :P Has a few spelling mistakes!! Very sleep deprived with a new born.. this little tolerance LOL..

Anyway who said you could get a nother bike anyway???:msn-wink::laugh::laugh::laugh:

MXNUT
7th January 2015, 12:55
But I would be happy if they paid a local bike shop to do the repair. It will save sending the bike down the country.

If the repair is done properly it should not be an issue ( with the dealer paying for it of course ).

F1 Motor cycle engineering would be the place that I would use in Ngaruawahia ( Steve Bridge ).

Leyton
7th January 2015, 16:06
If the repair is done properly it should not be an issue ( with the dealer paying for it of course ).

F1 Motor cycle engineering would be the place that I would use in Ngaruawahia ( Steve Bridge ).

Ahhhhh its all good :)

Just waiting for the big boss at the dealers to get back but the service manager would like to blast inside the frame, check it out, put in some rust proofing and patch up the hole & paint :) I'm happy with that!!! YAY!!!

Just means I have been without a bike for 1 month now, and wow.. it's real hard!! even when you are not riding one that much!!!

I'm not put off my new bike, its just all bonding I suppose :) I just wish for a quick (Decent) repair and safe speedy return so I can get back riding :) Nothing more fun then riding around town on a DR :) Soo much quicker than the TRX850K squeezing that thing around town :)

Thanks for all your help peeps! :)

NordieBoy
11th January 2015, 17:17
Sounds like a good plan. My '97 had the hole at least 2 owners and is going strong on the 3rd.
There are vent holes in the frame too, so water does get in (and out).

16th January 2015, 13:09
Whats wrong with screwing in a bolt with a locktite to "cap" it off?

NordieBoy
16th January 2015, 18:10

Button head allen bolt thingy.
Anything taller and the chain will catch it occasionally.

R650R
18th January 2015, 07:49

he has a hole in the frame right where you'd like to bolt something in. With the load on the subframes I'd be wanting to weld up the damage properly.