PDA

View Full Version : NZ Nationals

Dave
28th January 2004, 09:27
Just got back from the roadrace nationals at teretonga.Another awesome event run by the southland club. The 125GP class was a really good indication of the growth of motorcycling in NZ. U.k. international rider Midge Smart won 3 from 3 but was challenged by 18 year old Dominic jones from Invercargill.
The Top 5 riders in the class were;Midge Smart (17) Steven woods (16)
Jay Lawrence (15) Sam Smith (15) Dominic Jones (18) and also doing well is Robbie Wynn parke (17).
And these guys are all riding at or close to lap record pace.

Also lend a thought to Karl Morgan and Bruce Telford who had a huge accident when Bruce's RSV1000 appeared to faulter and/or sieze on the straight and was hit from behind by Karl on his GSXR600 doing over 200k/hr.
Both riders have serious injuries and several breakages and I hope they are back to their ways soon.

Kickaha
28th January 2004, 18:41
A very good weekend,good weather and good racing, Robbie Wynn parke also ened up in plaster on Saturday, and a few others went down without injury, Steve Groome even got knocked off by another rider on the warm up lap.

Went to a barbecue at the Jones household Saturday night and most of the 125 class seemed to be there, I stayed elsewhere as they already had 15 people staying the weekend

Indiana_Jones
28th January 2004, 19:26
I wish i could join easy going races with my FXR :(

-Indy

gpercivl
29th January 2004, 14:41
My first time at both Ruapuna and Teretonga...found them both great and a new challenge compared to the NI tracks. Very intensive with 8 days of riding over the two weeks...can't wait to get to Pukekohe & Taupo in the Auckland Club rounds to see if I've improved any :D

Kickaha
29th January 2004, 20:49
can't wait to get to Pukekohe

Once you'd been to Ruapuna and Teretonga I would think the thought of going back to Pukekohe would be to depressing lol

gpercivl
30th January 2004, 03:23
After 4 days of all those corners at Ruapuna and 3 days of diving into the "loop" at Teretonga I reckon my confidence level turning in has improved quite a lot which should translate to higher speeds at turn 1 Pukekohe, and the sweeper at Manfeild... but yes, wouldn't mind moving to SI for a few years to play on those tracks some more...

gpercivl
30th January 2004, 10:41
Also lend a thought to Karl Morgan and Bruce Telford who had a huge accident when Bruce's RSV1000 appeared to faulter and/or sieze on the straight and was hit from behind by Karl on his GSXR600 doing over 200k/hr.
Both riders have serious injuries and several breakages and I hope they are back to their ways soon.

Darryl New told me Bruce's bike ran out of gas and slowed, Karl couldn't see due to another rider blocking his view, once that rider moved it was too late for Karl

James Deuce
30th January 2004, 11:33
Fantastic write up. Thanks and keep them coming!

Jim2

LB
30th January 2004, 18:05
Fantastic write up. Thanks and keep them coming!

Jim2
Agreed. (and also to the others, gpercival/kwackakid/kickaha etc, who do race write-ups.)

gpercivl
31st January 2004, 09:26
Agreed. (and also to the others, gpercival/kwackakid/kickaha etc, who do race write-ups.)

NickO usually does a write up as well, last time I saw him at Teretonga he was having a whole lot of fun at the back of the 600 field...that class was super competitive this year...his times would have seen him in the top 10 easily last year, the same with Sean Bishop.

So when you gonna do yours Nick???

LB
1st February 2004, 04:47
So when you gonna do yours Nick???
Nicko and Mike's Boxing Day write up is almost ready.......it's really good (sorry for not including you in my list of names Nicko)

There's some good photos from Boxing Day on Dale Matthew's website:
http://dcmfoto.w10.net/index3.htm (you guys may already have seen it)

gpercivl
1st February 2004, 07:06
http://www.sportzfotoz.co.nz have a whole bunch of high quality photos from both South Island rounds now on their web site. Once I save up a few $$$ I'll be sending some their way.

nicko
2nd February 2004, 16:09
Yeah sorry guys, been pretty slack - check out the new message for our Wanganui write up.

Mike is overseas on business for a week or so, I'll get our South Island report up then. Nothing too exciting to report unfortunately - I had a moose of a time with front end handling issues and spent way too much time at the back of the field.

Better try to redeem myself at Paeroa!