PDA

View Full Version : Auckland Harbour Bridge

Not sure if this classes as a survival skill as such, but here it is;

Was wandering over the harbour bridge today on me bike, first time I've done it on such a windy day, was in the outside most lane, making me right at the edge, wind was so strong it almost blew me into the next lane!

Do any other Aucklanders have problems with being blown about on the bridge, or is it just me being new?

On the way back I made sure I was on the inside lane, so that I'd have a bit of shielding from the wind, seemed to do the trick.

Gremlin
16th September 2005, 23:01
yip a few of the guys have had problems, there are a couple of threads about it. Best bet is to try to use all the metal to try to shield yourself, although that then makes the wind gusty instead which is worse.

The thing to really keep an eye out for are the huge metal expansion joints, Frosty I think had a hair raising moment in the wet.

Personally I haven't had any problems yet, but haven't been riding across in a full gale yet.

edit: Here's Frosty's thread (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=13995&highlight=auckland+harbour+bridge)

Motu
16th September 2005, 23:19
Last time I was blown off the Harbour Bridge I landed in a boat,but other times I've had to swim for it.

Zed
17th September 2005, 00:40
Was wandering over the harbour bridge today on me bike, first time I've done it on such a windy day, was in the outside most lane, making me right at the edge, wind was so strong it almost blew me into the next lane!You wouldn't want to career over the side of that bridge, you bet this thread should be in Survival Skills! It's a good reminder that it gets very gusty up there, quite dangerous at times. :shit:

I have found that my heavy Blackbird is very stable in windy conditions compared to my previous lighter bikes (by up to 60kgs). The combined weight of you and your bike is one factor that determines how much you move around on the road in windy conditions. Let me guess, you and your bike probably weigh in at around 200kgs? Mine is around 320kgs.

SARGE
17th September 2005, 00:54
Not sure if this classes as a survival skill as such, but here it is;

Was wandering over the harbour bridge today on me bike, first time I've done it on such a windy day, was in the outside most lane, making me right at the edge, wind was so strong it almost blew me into the next lane!

Do any other Aucklanders have problems with being blown about on the bridge, or is it just me being new?

On the way back I made sure I was on the inside lane, so that I'd have a bit of shielding from the wind, seemed to do the trick.

i always find that " Tacking in" to the wind ( leaning slightly into the wind while driving forward) helps a bit..coming across the NW Causeway is a bit hairy at times too

Let me guess, you and your bike probably weigh in at around 200kgs? Mine is around 320kgs.

I wish :cry:

The bike is about 160kgs and I'm about 130kgs, making a total weight of urm... let me think.... 290kgs.

I also did as Sarge suggested and steered slightly into the wind, just really caught me as I rounded the corner and came out into the open.

James Deuce
17th September 2005, 08:34
It sounds counter-intuitive but you need to relax when it's blustery. The more relaxed you are the less the wind will move you around. Your spinchter is allower to pucker, but everything else should stay loose.

parsley
17th September 2005, 08:57
Yeah, definitely my least favourite piece of riding - coming home from work over the bridge when it's dark, wet, windy and surrounded by cage drivers.

I try to use the inside lanes when it's windy but I only join the road at the Orewa road junction, and trying to get across three lanes of traffic there can be a bit hairy!

sAsLEX
17th September 2005, 08:57
i always find that " Tacking in" to the wind ( leaning slightly into the wind while driving forward) helps a bit..coming across the NW Causeway is a bit hairy at times too

got to be careful if the wind stops suddenly that your prepared for it, say if someone on an orage gixxer comes past on the back wheel!

crashe
17th September 2005, 09:27
When I go over the bridge on a really windy day....
I tend to stay beside a van or 4x4 so that they buff the wind...
it works for me....

yeah it aint nice to be pushed all over the lanes...
same as on the nor-western heading into the city one can be pushed all over the place as well.

Only had one real bad experience on the nor-western...
I hadn't been back riding for long... scared the shit out of me..
I got off at the next exit.... phew.

FROSTY
17th September 2005, 09:49
I just kinda relax and let it happen. -Wind gust--yea so what -I position my bike so even a decent gust aint gonna blow me into another lane. The effect looks a bit like a drunken bum after a night on the turps
First ill scoot (say ) hard left as the gust hits me then Ill as sarge says tack back over to the right -next gust scoot left etc.
It looks shocking but its a shit load easier on the body

Lou Girardin
17th September 2005, 10:17
The wind seems to have less effect around 130. :innocent:

TLDV8
17th September 2005, 11:31

I stay in the middle lane,only exception would be going south and wanting to exit......... Besides, the Clipons will crack right off one day,but don't let me put you off :rofl:

Ixion
17th September 2005, 13:35
Actually, quite seriously, this is true. It is a mistake to slow right down (instinctive though that is).

If you maintain a decent speed (ie the 80kph limit) , but change down a couple of gears , you will actually be a lot more stable.

Toast
17th September 2005, 20:03
Riding in cross winds is easy so long as you:

a) relax your upper body, 'cos it's often actually your body being blown and you unknowingly putting force in to the bars to stabilise yourself that does part of the pushing (think about a gust from your left pushing you to your right...you are gonna grip the bars and push them left as if you were cornering right)

b) grip the tank tight with your legs to help the above

c) drop a gear or two (seems to help...probably more rotating inertia or something, makes the whole package more stable)

d) get low so you're not like a big cordura clad sail

e) counter steer in to it a bit if need be

I don't find commuting in a cross wind any drama anymore...though it's still quite off-putting if going hard.

EZAS
29th September 2005, 16:58
Don't go on the outside lanes of the Harbour Bridge, there bouncey and the dips at either end of the bridge are deeper in the outter lanes.

It's not just the Bridge that gets Windy but just after the Bridge heading North before Esmonde and also after the Northcote turn off (between Wairau and Northcote) there can be Heavy Easterly's just passing the Golf course.

I'm not sure if this is the right thing to do when its rather Windy, but I usually just sit off the seat a little to compensate a bit of weight (I only weigh around 75Kg's). is this good or bad practice?

ManDownUnder
29th September 2005, 17:11
aaa the car strangled spanner...

Yeah - it's a bastard of a thig in a cross wind... just watch it... take it real easy and stay in the middle or upwind side of your lane (middle it there is traffic that could cut the wind off...)

Good luck!

DevoDave
29th September 2005, 17:18
Used to experience that problem when I worked on the wrong side of the bridge so when it was blowing 40 bastards I'd look for a bus or a truck to tuck in alongside of, just got to be aware that they are blowing around too but they take the brunt of it. It has always struck me as funny that once you are off the bridge it dosn't seem to be blowing as much.

heavenly.talker
20th October 2005, 21:28

So true, I know it sounds weird but physics says the faster the go forward the less you are affected by the cross wind.

I normally chose lane 2. Gives you options and out of the way of the inconsiderate drivers who try to kill you by slammin on their brakes for no good reason at all.

See you out in the riding zone :banana:

Macktheknife
20th October 2005, 22:23
I once changed lanes unexpectedly on the bridge but it was gusting up to 85-90 kmh that day, generally not too bad if you relax into it. Remember that the worst thing is usually what happens in your own head, control that and you are half way there. Ride safe.