PDA

View Full Version : ART Day, 15 February 2015

OutForADuck
16th January 2015, 07:30
Calling everyone that wants to have fun whilst getting better at riding. From the novice that has never been near a race track (Group 1) to the fast road rider that wants to learn some advanced skills (Group 3) to those just wanting to practice before the next race (Group 4), ART days rock.

Advanced Rider Training days are run by AMCC (http://www.amcc.org.nz/index.php/menu-ridertraining/menu-art.html) and have been so for many many years. They are a learning event with some very experienced instructors on site running a controlled fun day without zero tolerance radar traps. The goal is for you to have safe fun whilst learning and advancing your skills to become a safer, smoother and more in control rider.

We run these days pretty much at break even, pouring a huge amount of donated time, tires, bikes and petrol into the event for you by our members who volunteer their efforts. The instructors have huge amounts of experience and on average we have a very low ratio of participants to instructors. There is no better place to learn skills in a safe environment, because our members are volunteering their time we have been able to run these events and provide the absolute best experience and instruction at a ridiculously low price (roughly the same as a normal track day without full marshalls, safety or dozens of instructors, each with years of experience)

Search these forums or ask about, this is an experience worth doing and you will come away having learnt so much with a smile on your face. We have an enormous percentage of repeat attendees which I think says the most about what they get out of the events.

Feb 15th is the last one for this year and this year we have struggled to break even!!!! Guys we need you to support these events if you want them to continue. Feb is almost guaranteed to be hot and dry and a fantastic day.

Get your entries in as early as possible, support ART Days and keep this experience rolling both for you and for every rider you know that SHOULD be getting this experience.

Entry forms can be found on our website (http://www.amcc.org.nz/index.php/menu-ridertraining/entry-forms.html)along with lots of information about the events.

Come on, you have the might of AMCC working for YOU.. all you need to do is get enough of you and your mates to take advantage of our members generosity and we can keep these events running.

nzspokes
16th January 2015, 08:45
I shall be there. :banana:

Holding fast riders up since way back.

Stevee2
16th January 2015, 10:09
They are a learning event with some very experienced instructors on site running a controlled fun day without zero tolerance radar traps.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what do you mean about the radar traps?

OutForADuck
16th January 2015, 11:19
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what do you mean about the radar traps?

We don't have speed limits on the race track, although we are careful to ensure new riders or smaller bikes are not out with the fast guys :facepalm:

kiwi-on-wheels
16th January 2015, 13:34
Actually rather keen... just need to find a back protector...

OutForADuck
17th January 2015, 17:06
Actually rather keen... just need to find a back protector...

Kiwi, we have a limited number that we lend out so if you are quick getting your entry in just note you need one and Colleen will let you know if we have any left.

Good to see you out there.

nzspokes
17th January 2015, 17:11
These are really worth doing. I was a bit meh before I did my first one. Now I cant stand to miss one.

Its not about racing or going fast. Its about learning to be smooth. :niceone:

There may be a special rider in Group 1 If I can get the bike finished in time.

OutForADuck
18th January 2015, 06:33
These are really worth doing. I was a bit meh before I did my first one. Now I cant stand to miss one.

Its not about racing or going fast. Its about learning to be smooth. :niceone:

There may be a special rider in Group 1 If I can get the bike finished in time.

Mate does that mean what I think it means? How cool would that be!!!!!

nzspokes
18th January 2015, 06:37
Mate does that mean what I think it means? How cool would that be!!!!!
I know. Just going out to start on a handle bar shifter for it. Was thinking I could sit behind her if it does happen as she wont be fast yet so as to not tie up one of the marshalls.

Better get to it....

Barend
18th January 2015, 11:40
Haven't really done one of these before, pretty keen to go :)
Will be getting a few mates to come with, looking forward to it.

OutForADuck
19th January 2015, 09:14
Haven't really done one of these before, pretty keen to go :)
Will be getting a few mates to come with, looking forward to it.

Barend, you'll have a ball. The experience of NZSpokes is the norm, we have so many riders come back again and again as they realise learning and getting better can be so much fun!!!

We are driving these along, especially for the last one because we need to show that they can be run without loosing money or we will loose them... Get those entries in fast and keep prodding your mates, they will thank you for it believe me :Punk:

OutForADuck
21st January 2015, 10:39
Just in case your not sure about doing an ART Day... listen to some of those that have

ART Feedback

Comments and feedback from the Advanced Rider Training Days:
“As a beginner to track days I must say I am very impressed by such a professionally organised event. In particular I got great value out of the track walk and attending a brief after each session”.

“The theory at the track is great, tho I wasn’t with group1. However I remember the first theory session I went to very well because i was way out of my comfort zone and even kinda scared.

I needed to hear three things (and i did)

1. It wasn't a race

2. There would be staggered starts. so we weren't all going to tear off in a mad bunch

3. No passing the marshalls for the first 2 laps because I was afraid I'd be slow I would have gone out like a bat out of hell right from the start. To find we would be lead out for the warm up laps was a relief.

This calm careful approach is what makes the day safe and is the reason I keep coming back”.

“ I had a wonderful day and I think what makes it, is the personal commitment and open communication from the Instructors in making sure your happy and building your skills. I had Instructors offer to follow them to see the lines and then follow to me to see how well I applied it, and other times your not even aware they are doing this until they catch up with after the session and let you know where they think your at and what can be improved. Being in the novice category this type of training gives you the ability to able to test the limits with your bike and yourself in the safest possible environment….as I get older I don’t want to hurt myself anymore! I am now riding with a heap more confidence which is grounded in a sound base and not just bravado as before.”

“Really enjoyed my first ever track day @ Puke on Sat! The instructors were fantastic - what a positive bunch of guys! totally encouraging especially to a new boy feeling very nervous and out of his depth.

Felt totally different at the end of the day and now looking forward to April 18! The weather and organisation was exceptional so thank you all.”

“We had a ball at the art day. I never thought ART could be so much fun”

"Just thought I’d write a short thank you, learning has never been so enjoyable.

After only 3 years on the road, learning from instructors with so much experience made attending the novice course a must for all new riders.

I have already been applying techniques such as breaking, cornering, smoothness, throttle control to the road and it has improved my abilities after a single session, which is testament to the great instructors you have.

Looking forward to attending further courses, would like it to rain next time though as I need to build up confidence and learn techniques for winter riding."

DamianW
29th January 2015, 13:03
Just registered and looking forward to it.

Grashopper
29th January 2015, 20:58
I'm in. Should be fun. :eek: Have been wanting to do an ART day for ages.

nzspokes
29th January 2015, 21:02
I'm in. Should be fun. :eek: Have been wanting to do an ART day for ages.

Tiz great fun.

Grashopper
29th January 2015, 21:09
Tiz great fun.

Are you guys going? How is her bike coming along?

nerrrd
29th January 2015, 21:27
I'd be keen to support this if you're running low on people, how do we know if there's room still? I'd be in the 'novice slow' group.

Also my 2 piece gear only has a short connection zip, is that acceptable? Cheers.

nzspokes
29th January 2015, 21:27
Are you guys going? How is her bike coming along?

We are all good. But her bike needs parts from the UK custom made so she wont be riding this one sadly.

SPP
29th January 2015, 21:41
Just registered and looking forward to it.

Cool Damian, me too. Wave out.

OutForADuck
31st January 2015, 12:58
Will be good to see you guys out. These are a lot of fun

Latte
3rd February 2015, 10:39
Can't wait, as long as I can get out of bed :D

Grashopper
4th February 2015, 15:14
I'd be keen to support this if you're running low on people, how do we know if there's room still? I'd be in the 'novice slow' group.

Also my 2 piece gear only has a short connection zip, is that acceptable? Cheers.

You should so sign up for this. It will be fun. :yes:

Not sure about the gear though. You might have to contact them directly via the website. Doesn't look like anyone is checking this thread.

Haven't caught up with you in ages. Hope things are going well for you.

OutForADuck
5th February 2015, 05:25

Currently I believe there is still room in every group. Group one and two your zip will be ok as long as it is good enough to keep the top from separating if you come off, virtuallly all are.

The point is that if they separate as a rider slides along the tarmac you would loose alot of your back or stomach skin and believe me that is not a good thing.

IF you are worried htat it might not be good enough to stop that you can always see Kerrie at Motorcycle Safety Wear 31 St Kevins Arcade Auckland 0-9-309 9522. She'd put a decent zip in for you.

I"m sure your fine though.

Guys, if you need an answer to a question and I'm too slow just PM me or go to our website AMCC.org.nz.

HOpe to see you out there

nzspokes
11th February 2015, 12:53
This may be the last one ever if people don't come along and join in.

It is not racing or honing. It is very controlled. No timing is allowed and speedos are recommended to be covered. Its not about fast its about smooth control. Very much suits beginners, even those only riding for a week or two.

More information on this thread, http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/172461-ART-Day-15-February-2015?highlight=15th

kiwi-on-wheels
11th February 2015, 15:31
I would, had some family stuff come up so i'm out of auckland this weekend... gutted!!!!

Madness
11th February 2015, 17:11
It is not racing or honing.

Bugger, I could do with a hone.

Maha
11th February 2015, 17:19
Well worth it... because one day worth of track coaching equates to 5-10 years of road riding experience.

The End
11th February 2015, 17:22
Well worth it... because one day worth of track coaching equates to 5-10 years of road riding experience.

You actually put that as your signature.... Hahahahaha :laugh::laugh:

But seriously though.

nodrog
11th February 2015, 17:23
Is the slow group full yet?

The End
11th February 2015, 17:24

You'd have to contact the organisers to find the answer for that.

http://www.amcc.org.nz/index.php/menu-clubinformation/menu-contacts.html

nzspokes
11th February 2015, 17:37
You'd have to contact the organisers to find the answer for that.

http://www.amcc.org.nz/index.php/menu-clubinformation/menu-contacts.html

I believe space is available in all groups.

nzspokes
11th February 2015, 17:38

So which group have you entered for then?

bluninja
11th February 2015, 18:10

Filling up....FAST :innocent:

bluninja
11th February 2015, 18:11

A few track days and you'll have as much road riding experience as the Christchurch troll :bleh:

switchMode
13th February 2015, 10:17
Barends mate here. Will be there, trying not to hold up group 2..

p.dath
13th February 2015, 15:37
I've done it. I've signed back up again. See you all on Sunday.

Barend
14th February 2015, 20:10
Hey guys, anyone coming from Auckland?
A few of us will be meeting at the Z by Greenlane's turnoff at about 6:15 am.
Will be leaving to go down at about 6:30 if anyone wants to join up and ride down in a group.
:2thumbsup:2thumbsup:2thumbsup

nzspokes
14th February 2015, 20:20
Hey guys, anyone coming from Auckland?
A few of us will be meeting at the Z by Greenlane's turnoff at about 6:15 am.
Will be leaving to go down at about 6:30 if anyone wants to join up and ride down in a group.
:2thumbsup:2thumbsup:2thumbsup

Yes but my bike will be on my trailer.

nerrrd
15th February 2015, 10:32
Currently I believe there is still room in every group. Group one and two your zip will be ok as long as it is good enough to keep the top from separating if you come off, virtuallly all are...HOpe to see you out there

Crap I forgot all about this, thanks for the info, hope you got plenty of people (it's a great day for it anyway.)

Mattr
15th February 2015, 17:05
Great day, met some cool people. Matt

DamianW
15th February 2015, 17:08
Yeah, it was a really good day and met some cool people in G2. Thanks to the organisers, support staff and coaches. Defo going again in October :up:

Mattr
15th February 2015, 17:20
Yeah good to meet you Damian

nzspokes
15th February 2015, 17:48
I went. I saw. I ripped up tyres.

Im now ready for a snooze.

nzspokes
15th February 2015, 18:22
Oh guys in G2 I may have some footage of you from my camera. Let me know your bike and leathers colour and i may be able to lift some snaps from my bike.

switchMode
15th February 2015, 18:55
Loved it, great weather and a great group!

Oh guys in G2 I may have some footage of you from my camera. Let me know your bike and leathers colour and i may be able to lift some snaps from my bike.

Awesome! I was on the older green ninja in G2 black leathers...

SPP
15th February 2015, 22:21
Yep I really enjoy these days, they always feel professional.

Thanks Greg A for the theory, Greg S for being available to talk through just about anything and Biggles for spending the time to show us the tighter way around. Gonna have to eat that elephant one bite at a time.

Anyway, it’d be a real shame if these disappeared so hopefully they can put something together.

Laters.

nzspokes
16th February 2015, 05:56
Yep I really enjoy these days, they always feel professional.

Thanks Greg A for the theory, Greg S for being available to talk through just about anything and Biggles for spending the time to show us the tighter way around. Gonna have to eat that elephant one bite at a time.

Anyway, it’d be a real shame if these disappeared so hopefully they can put something together.

Laters.

Agreed. They are by far the best run track day Ive been to.

Bit of a vid of a few of my laps, sadly im starting to get some motion sickness under braking so was coming in early. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2-3qUEBsEg

Barend
16th February 2015, 07:43
Awesome day yesterday... :headbang: great fun for the first time...
Question though, who was the photographers at the track, and where do i bug them for the pics?

Thanks to all involved for making the day happen, as well as Mike and Mike in G1

The End
16th February 2015, 07:58
Awesome day yesterday... :headbang: great fun for the first time...
Question though, who was the photographers at the track, and where do i bug them for the pics?

Thanks to all involved for making the day happen, as well as Mike and Mike in G1

If it is the same as last time, it will be this guy:

http://clmintiepix.photoshelter.com/

Latte
16th February 2015, 08:10

Thanks! - White R1, red frame, Black/Silver Leathers.

Barend
16th February 2015, 08:11
If it is the same as last time, it will be this guy:

http://clmintiepix.photoshelter.com/

Cheers, I see some pics up already :yes:
But none of me.. :shit: ah well.. just another reason to go next time

switchMode
16th February 2015, 09:12
Are there more photos coming?

nzspokes
16th February 2015, 09:33
Hope more are coming as none of me.

The End
16th February 2015, 10:08
Might pay to email the photographer with your group/bike/leathers colour and ask what pics there are of you

Barend
16th February 2015, 10:44
Yeah I emailed, his response:

sorry, I got talking too much in the pits and didn't get much photography done, it was also very bright and too much heat haze for good images. I've loaded everything I got, sorry, next time!

Grashopper
16th February 2015, 13:32
Brilliant day on the track yesterday.
Thanks to all of the organisers, the marshals and Mike & Mike.

I really hope it wasn't the last ART day. Would love to do that again.

nzspokes
16th February 2015, 18:41
Here is one of PDath. Will look through the rest a bit later. Not very good quality sadly. Maybe if cropped a bit it would be ok.

The End
16th February 2015, 19:05
Here is one of PDath. Will look through the rest a bit later. Not very good quality sadly. Maybe if cropped a bit it would be ok.

Had a quick go at it.

nzspokes
16th February 2015, 20:20
Are there more photos coming?

Asked on this FB page. He missed me completely. Again. :no:

Reckless
16th February 2015, 20:31
Asked on this FB page. He missed me completely. Again. :no:

Send me a pic of you on your bike in your gear before the next art day, so I can send it on, I know someone usually taking good pics out there.

I know Phil (climitiepix) quite well and can ask him to (from dirt riding) but you'll have to pay for those if I ask him.

nzspokes
16th February 2015, 20:48
Thanks! - White R1, red frame, Black/Silver Leathers.

Is this you? If so I followed the marshal that was behind you for ages, he was holding me up a bit. Then I got past him and followed you for a few laps before I came in.

dodgyguy
17th February 2015, 08:16

Anything of a dark red and silver CBR1000 with black and silver leathers would be fab. :eek:

biketimus_prime
18th February 2015, 18:28
Are there any more days like this maybe organised by other groups so I can get some track riding training? I can attend days at pukekohe but I'll be on my own/riding with randoms and I'd rather have some tutoring like ART provides first. Does anyone organise private days maybe?

Grashopper
18th February 2015, 19:02
These guys do IMO the best on the track training: http://www.californiasuperbikeschool.co.nz

Prorider do some track days with training and some without. I think they had to cancel the last one, though. Have a look here http://www.prorider.co.nz

And the future of the ART days seems to be hanging in the air.

MotoTT do some well organised trackdays at the Taupo and Manfield tracks and if you talk to the line riders they help you with lines and other useful info. Awesome people. Have a look here http://www.motott.co.nz The next trackday is this Friday and the following ones are in March.

There are also the Playday on Track days at Hampton Downs. I haven't done those, yet, but I assume there are similarly organised to the MotoTT ones. (Actually, I should really have a look when the next one is :D)

There must be some other people who know what they are doing on the track and can help.

biketimus_prime
18th February 2015, 19:38
Thanks for all the info. I was hoping there was something at hampton downs or pukekohe as they are close enough to ride there and back. I am pretty gutted that ART days won't be on till the end of the year again :(
Might try get on to a Playday session but it just won't be the same

nzspokes
18th February 2015, 19:40
Thanks for all the info. I was hoping there was something at hampton downs or pukekohe as they are close enough to ride there and back. I am pretty gutted that ART days won't be on till the end of the year again :(
Might try get on to a Playday session but it just won't be the same

Playdays seem run ok but start in the novice group if you have not been on the track before. Speed difference is way to high. Next is a afternoon one on the 27th.

shafty
18th February 2015, 23:10
....you were Lookin good - great to see quality machinery in the neighbourhood 👍👍👍