PDA

View Full Version : Glenfiddich

Maha
2nd February 2015, 15:56
I have a bottle of 18 year old Glenfiddich (well it's now 19) and I am not a Whiskey drinker. We have thought (and will probably do it) of using it to make Baileys. Would it be heathenish to drink it with L&P as a mixer? I don't like it neat/with water or on the rocks, though could be tempted with ice added. How say the connoisseurs of such a fine tot?

unstuck
2nd February 2015, 16:09
Evil evil stuff that is.:eek:

caseye
2nd February 2015, 17:15
Mate, tell me to come get rid of it for you and I WILL. It is bad stuff and you! shouldn't do anything with it.
Make the nice creamy drink buddy, it will be the smoothest Baileys anyone's seen in a coons age.

Maha
2nd February 2015, 17:30
Mate, tell me to come get rid of it for you and I WILL. It is bad stuff and you! shouldn't do anything with it.
Make the nice creamy drink buddy, it will be the smoothest Baileys anyone's seen in a coons age.

...and Baileys is so damn nice, maybe it will become a Scottish/Irish creamy mix for those 'soon to be evening's spent on the deck' :niceone:

skippa1
2nd February 2015, 17:36
Ive got some moss on the path that wont spray and walk away......your tipple would do it. I would filter it through my kidneys and spray it through the meat hose onto the path:eek:

jasonu
2nd February 2015, 17:38
Why don't you simply swap it for some Baileys? I'm sure you would be able to find plenty of takers here on Kiwi Boozer.

frogfeaturesFZR
2nd February 2015, 17:39
Ive got some moss on the path that wont spray and walk away......your tipple would do it. I would filter it through my kidneys and spray it through the meat hose onto the path:eek:

A fine idea !
I prefer mine with ice and dry ginger ale
Mmmm:niceone:

unstuck
2nd February 2015, 17:44
.'soon to be evening's spent of the deck' :niceone:

Closely followed by crawling all over the lawn yelling ralph.:msn-wink:

ellipsis
2nd February 2015, 18:09
...it's just whisky...

Oakie
2nd February 2015, 18:18
Yeah, having it with L&P and ice would make it drinkable.

Fatt Max
2nd February 2015, 18:21
Philistines....Glenny is to be enjoyed with ice and good company only.

I'll swap you for some coffee, cream and dog piss, mix that together and you have some good baleys right there

unstuck
2nd February 2015, 18:44
...it's just whisky...

I disagree. I have done shit on Glenfiddich that I would not have done on say a Jeffersons 10 or a Redbreast.:devil2:

JimO
2nd February 2015, 18:57
one of my boys brought this back from Scotland for me

unstuck
2nd February 2015, 19:01

Your doomed.:eek:

JimO
2nd February 2015, 19:02
Your doomed.:eek:
i may use it in the lawmnower

Maha
2nd February 2015, 19:29

A Cooper --> cos I'm 18 da na na na.

I got it Xmas 2013 so just over a year ago, a mate said ''fuck it wont see 19'' but unfortunately it has, now into it's 20th year. A few good suggestions here but I think turning most of it into Home made Baileys might be the answer, that way we'll certainly get to enjoy it.

Hitcher
2nd February 2015, 20:20
Gahh! Thud.

BMWST?
2nd February 2015, 20:45
its yours....do what you like with it!

Big Dog
2nd February 2015, 20:47
I have a bottle of 18 year old Glenfiddich (well it's now 19) and I am not a Whiskey drinker. We have thought (and will probably do it) of using it to make Baileys. Would it be heathenish to drink it with L&P as a mixer? I don't like it neat/with water or on the rocks, though could be tempted with ice added. How say the connoisseurs of such a fine tot?

A house warming? Shots for attendees?

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Laava
2nd February 2015, 21:08
I have a 10yr old bottle of Talisker from the isle of skye that tastes like shit! So I am definitely in the drink it with mixers camp.

Banditbandit
3rd February 2015, 16:53
I have a 10yr old bottle of Talisker from the isle of skye that tastes like shit! So I am definitely in the drink it with mixers camp.

Save it for another 10 years - then someone here might have some better suggestions ..

Maha
3rd February 2015, 17:02
Save it for another 10 years - then someone here might have some better suggestions ..

First world problems are traumatic..........damn it!

James Deuce
3rd February 2015, 17:06
Whisky doesn't age in the bottle. It ages in the cask and when the taster gets the notes he's after it is bottled and sold. Don't mix single malt. Don't drink it with ice unless you want to be melvined by the Whiskey Defence League at a socially inappropriate moment. If you must add anything, some say a few mls of water will release a more flavourful initial hit, but it's the multiple after notes that are the most enjoyable. Don't gulp it, sip it and let it glide over your tongue and then experience the aftermath.

James Deuce
3rd February 2015, 17:08
Those who want to use mixers, there are plenty of whiskeys available for you to use from a choice of continents. I am willing to swap your whisky for some whiskey.

James Deuce
3rd February 2015, 17:11
Age is also no guarantee of quality. There are many 10 year old whiskys that are preferred to their more aged siblings.

Maha
3rd February 2015, 17:23
Those who want to use mixers, there are plenty of whiskeys available for you to use from a choice of continents. I am willing to swap your whisky for some whiskey.

Make it some of that awesome Rum that Hitcher once spoke of, and I'll meet you at the secret location at a yet to be agreed time.

scumdog
3rd February 2015, 19:02

Constructive comment: "Ye fuckin' heathen sasanach!":mad:

Send it here, I'll donate the freight.:2thumbsup

James Deuce
3rd February 2015, 19:22
Make it some of that awesome Rum that Hitcher once spoke of, and I'll meet you at the secret location at a yet to be agreed time.

Deal. 10987654321

Laava
3rd February 2015, 20:19

Yep, not much danger of anyone drinking it! Tastes like Pams smokey BBQ sauce mixed with arse.

JimO
3rd February 2015, 20:30
mixed with arse.
you know this how?

Laava
3rd February 2015, 21:22
you know this how?

Well, I did say it tastes like shit earlier.

mstriumph
4th February 2015, 01:44
Whisky doesn't age in the bottle. It ages in the cask and when the taster gets the notes he's after it is bottled and sold. Don't mix single malt. Don't drink it with ice unless you want to be melvined by the Whiskey Defence League at a socially inappropriate moment. If you must add anything, some say a few mls of water will release a more flavourful initial hit, but it's the multiple after notes that are the most enjoyable. Don't gulp it, sip it and let it glide over your tongue and then experience the aftermath.

over ice ... the ice locks the flavour initially then releases it as it melts ...
personally, I prefer Baileys :)

WNJ
4th February 2015, 02:52
My fav drink, love it straight :wings:

James Deuce
4th February 2015, 04:24
over ice ... the ice locks the flavour initially then releases it as it melts ...
personally, I prefer Baileys :)

You're on the list.

BMWST?
4th February 2015, 18:30
Don't drink it with ice unless you want to be melvined by the Whiskey Defence League at a socially inappropriate moment.

Melvined???

James Deuce
4th February 2015, 18:42
Melvined???

A front wedgie.

BMWST?
4th February 2015, 18:45
A front wedgie.
Well well never heard that

dangerous
4th February 2015, 18:47

FFS... as the Deuce said, 18yrs in the barrel, stops aging when bottled that bottle of yours was proberly stilled early to mid 90's... you dont bloody fuck with it, straight up or mabe on a couple a rocks

Those who want to use mixers, there are plenty of whiskeys available for you to use from a choice of continents. I am willing to swap your whisky for some whiskey.yeah mate... bloody Irish shit, what those spud munchers know bout whisky

...it's just whisky...your just a hippy

mstriumph
5th February 2015, 01:58
You're on the list.

come over here and say that!! lol (you know Jon'll roll out the red carpet for you :) )

scumdog
5th February 2015, 20:52
Well well never heard that

You don't HEAR it - if you know what I mean:killingme

scumdog
5th February 2015, 20:53
FFS... as the Deuce said, 18yrs in the barrel, stops aging when bottled that bottle of yours was proberly stilled early to mid 90's... you dont bloody fuck with it, straight up or mabe on a couple a rocks

yeah mate... bloody Irish shit, what those spud munchers know bout whisky

your just a hippy

Wot 'e sed.:niceone:

ellipsis
5th February 2015, 21:01
FFS... your just a hippy

...yeah, a fuk'n angry, ginga, hippy...just keep forgettin' what I'm angry about...usually eyetie food and bikes...

vifferman
6th February 2015, 18:58
Philistines....Glenny is to be enjoyed with ice and good company only.

Philistine! Why water whisky down with ice?:eek: That's not how God intended it to be, or it would come pre-watered.

Smifffy
6th February 2015, 19:46
Philistine! Why water whisky down with ice?:eek: That's not how God intended it to be, or it would come pre-watered.

I must be getting old. I used to think just like this. Now I say it's your Whisky, do what you like with it, after all I offered a particularly good single malt to my FIL one time and he ended up polishing off the bottle in one sitting after everyone else had gone to bed. Not to savour it, mind, just to get trolleyed asap.

So if, you want to make baileys with it, or use it as aftershave or even for that final rinse after cleaning the toilet, I say have at it and enjoy.

Mom
6th February 2015, 20:00
I must be getting old. I used to think just like this. Now I say it's your Whisky, do what you like with it, after all I offered a particularly good single malt to my FIL one time and he ended up polishing off the bottle in one sitting after everyone else had gone to bed. Not to savour it, mind, just to get trolleyed asap.

So if, you want to make baileys with it, or use it as aftershave or even for that final rinse after cleaning the toilet, I say have at it and enjoy.

I could probably sip a neat dram of the grain, despite being a drinker of the grape. We will probably mix up a bit, and save a bit to share.

James Deuce
6th February 2015, 20:43

You're on the list.

Berries
7th February 2015, 07:43
You're on the list.
It's only Glenfiddich.

There's nothing wrong with a drop of water in it, that's why they have jugs of water on the bar in pubs throughout Scotland. Some say the water should come from the same source as the whisky but that really is getting wanky.

I spent seven years living in the Grampians researching Speyside whisky but still haven't made my mind up as to which is my favourite. Still trying though. If I had a bottle of something I didn't like I would give it to someone who would enjoy it rather than ruin it making something else and then come up with another drink I didn't like.

In this case though I would keep the bottle for another couple of years because a 21 year old whisky is worth much more than an 18 year old of the same type.

HenryDorsetCase
7th February 2015, 08:44

the aftermath is violent vomiting, a bit of sharting. a LOT of shouting, bit of the old domestic violence, and, in extreme cases, burning the house down.

The very first time I got shitfaced drunk age 15 was on stolen whisky. NOw, 30+ years later the smell of it still makes me retch. Talk about your pavlovian condtiioning.

ellipsis
7th February 2015, 08:52
It's only Glenfiddich.

...this ^...if people are getting precious over a bottle of Glenfiddich then they really have not got the taste for seriously mentionable whiskeys...more palate reseach required...in saying this, tastes vary from tongue to tongue...

unstuck
7th February 2015, 09:25
the aftermath is violent vomiting, a bit of sharting. a LOT of shouting, bit of the old domestic violence, and, in extreme cases, burning the house down.

The very first time I got shitfaced drunk age 15 was on stolen whisky. NOw, 30+ years later the smell of it still makes me retch. Talk about your pavlovian condtiioning.

I skulled a 4oz of coruba when I was 14, ended up in hospital. Now just the smell of it makes me hurl. Didnt impress the girl I was trying to impress either.:rolleyes:

BuzzardNZ
7th February 2015, 09:32
I skulled a 4oz of coruba when I was 14, ended up in hospital. Now just the smell of it makes me hurl. Didnt impress the girl I was trying to impress either.:rolleyes:

Was she fat? :msn-wink:

unstuck
7th February 2015, 09:39
Was she fat? :msn-wink:

Not then.:2thumbsup

Murray
7th February 2015, 11:02
Whisky doesn't age in the bottle. It ages in the cask and when the taster gets the notes he's after it is bottled and sold.

FFS... as the Deuce said, 18yrs in the barrel, stops aging when bottled that bottle of yours was proberly stilled early to mid 90's.

It's only Glenfiddich.
I spent seven years living in the Grampians researching Speyside whisky
In this case though I would keep the bottle for another couple of years because a 21 year old whisky is worth much more than an 18 year old of the same type.

7 years researching and you think keeping an 18 yr old whisky for another couple of years makes it a 21 yr old whisky.

Love to see all the rest of your research!!!!

Smifffy
7th February 2015, 11:20
You're on the list.

I'm on lots of lists, but probably less than Akzle. I came to the conclusion it didn't matter a little while after my top shelf expanded slightly past this:

Maha
7th February 2015, 12:37
...this ^...if people are getting precious over a bottle of Glenfiddich then they really have not got the taste for seriously mentionable whiskeys...more palate reseach required...in saying this, tastes vary from tongue to tongue...

.....agree, I don't see what all the fuss is about when it comes to this particular plonk (hence it's still in the bottle) More than willing to swap or turn it into something more creamy.

James Deuce
7th February 2015, 13:27
I'm on lots of lists, but probably less than Akzle. I came to the conclusion it didn't matter a little while after my top shelf expanded slightly past this:

Use that 12 yo Glenfiddich as a mixer and get some Solera Reserve to replace it. Then you can come off the list.

Mom
7th February 2015, 16:47

Goodness me, how can we have such similar stories. Mine involved wagging school, skulling voddies and rocking out to Uriah Heap :headbang:
Thought having a swim was a fabby idea, fell down a flight of stairs breaking a toe in the process. Peeled off all my clothes :o and skinny dipping in the pool. Problem there was I could not manage the swimming motion so sank like a stone. Got rescued and spent god knows how much time bent over hurling pool water/booze and bile over into the neighbours back yard. Did I mention I was also naked :facepalm: Still cant drink a Vodka 40 years later :D

HenryDorsetCase
7th February 2015, 18:05
Goodness me, how can we have such similar stories. Mine involved wagging school, skulling voddies and rocking out to Uriah Heap :headbang:
Thought having a swim was a fabby idea, fell down a flight of stairs breaking a toe in the process. Peeled off all my clothes :o and skinny dipping in the pool. Problem there was I could not manage the swimming motion so sank like a stone. Got rescued and spent god knows how much time bent over hurling pool water/booze and bile over into the neighbours back yard. Did I mention I was also naked :facepalm: Still cant drink a Vodka 40 years later :D

the interestng thing is that in the facebook era, when people do this stuff (or have sex with their much older, married with kids only slightly younger than your partner) it all ends up on farcebook or whatever. Fucking hell some of the shit we did and got away with..... and some of the shit we didnt. I cannot imagine how embarrassing it would be if the photos were still around. and they will be. Oh yes.

unstuck
7th February 2015, 18:37
Fucking hell some of the shit we did and got away with..... and some of the shit we didnt. I cannot imagine how embarrassing it would be if the photos were still around. and they will be. Oh yes.

So glad there where no photos of when I woke up completely naked laying in the middle of the Browns Bay bowling club at 9am.:o
Still no idea what happened to my clothes.:scratch:
Was an embarrassing walk along beach road back to torbay wrapped in a flag.:rolleyes:

Mom
7th February 2015, 19:11
. I cannot imagine how embarrassing it would be if the photos were still around. and they will be. Oh yes.

No pics exist of my :bleh: :wings: :facepalm::Punk::sunny::whocares:
We did not have the means to think of pics, plus they had to save me. I took a bit of shames is all.

So glad there where no photos of when I woke up completely naked laying in the middle of the Browns Bay bowling club at 9am.:o
Was an embarrassing walk along beach road back to torbay wrapped in a flag.:rolleyes:

So, how do we "direct" our youff to avoid our stupidity? These days you are fuckt immediately.

Berries
7th February 2015, 20:16
No idea how I woke up with grass stains on both my knees and bloodied legs from prickles of some kind but still wearing jeans that were spotless.

Tequila and Invercargill, a poor combination. Thank fuck smartphones didn't exist back then.

Big Dog
7th February 2015, 21:25
Thank fuck smartphones didn't exist back then.
Amen. Can I hear a hallelujah!

unstuck
8th February 2015, 09:34
Amen. Can I hear a hallelujah!

You certainly may.........
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/y8AWFf7EAc4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>:msn-wink:

unstuck
8th February 2015, 09:38
So, how do we "direct" our youff to avoid our stupidity? These days you are fuckt immediately.

By relating some of the shit can happen when you over indulge is a good start I feel. Neither myself or my wife drink(she has an occasional Whine:devil2:) so our kids have not been around it. They do drink themselves now, but seem to be fairly sensible with it.:niceone:

Flip
8th February 2015, 14:36
I prefer Bushhills myself, yea I know I'm not much of a Scottsman. Blame the chacter of Sean Dillon by Jack Higgins.

ellipsis
8th February 2015, 14:39
I prefer Bushhills myself, yea I know I'm not much of a Scottsman. Blame the chacter of Sean Dillon by Jack Higgins.

...do you mean Bushmills...that Irish shit you gargle and spit out when you have a sore throat and nothing better to use...

Maha
8th February 2015, 14:41

Isle 5 at Countdown? next to Dilmah?

pritch
8th February 2015, 15:10
It's only Glenfiddich.

There's nothing wrong with a drop of water in it,

Some years ago there was a guy came to this country from Grants and he was interviewed on the TV news about how to best serve his company's products. He said not to serve it straight, it overpowers the palate. He counselled against ice, in addition to the "overpowering" factor the ice anaesthetises your taste buds.

His recommendation was that you should add about 25% water which enables the bouquet to develop and the tastebuds to operate effectively.

Only the careless rich would pour fizz into a single malt but IIRC the OP got his for nowt so...

Having written all that I confess I have used a single malt in a syllabub and poured it on berries in my desert. Sue me :innocent:

James Deuce
8th February 2015, 17:12
His recommendation was that you should add about 25% water which enables the bouquet to develop and the tastebuds to operate effectively.

I like Waiwera mineral water in mine.

Laava
8th February 2015, 17:24
I like Waiwera mineral water in mine.

I've widdled in that!

unstuck
8th February 2015, 17:28
I've widdled in that!

I have done worse than that.:msn-wink:
Well they are swimmers after all.:shifty:

vifferman
8th February 2015, 17:35
Mebbe your tastebuds are borkt?:confused:
I just finished a bottle of Talisker, and it was fantastic.:blink:

Laava
8th February 2015, 17:36
I have done worse than that.:msn-wink:
Well they are swimmers after all.:shifty:

Could only improve the taste of Talisker!

scumdog
8th February 2015, 19:48
Mebbe your tastebuds are borkt?:confused:
I just finished a bottle of Talisker, and it was fantastic.:blink:

I had some at the Vincent Rally, 'Dark Storm'.

Shared some with Dangerous and Rashika - NO complaints!:niceone:

Mom
8th February 2015, 19:56
I've widdled in that!

I worked at the Resort years ago, code Red was always a worry, code Brown really got the pulses racing. Not long after I met Mark we were down there with the kids. Blobbing around by the slides we found a little brown jobbie floating around. Knowing the guards as I did, I brought it to their attention, then threatened to direct it down the scooper :sunny:

Poohs in the pool :sick:

Brett
8th February 2015, 21:30
You heathen! Don't dare defile that lovely 18 year old by mixing it! :nono: I'll happily swap you a bottle of baileys or two for it!

caseye
13th February 2015, 17:26
Do eye here Threeee???
Go Maha! Seems you've found a cono sewer!

Maha
13th February 2015, 17:49
Do eye here Threeee???
Go Maha! Seems you've found a cono sewer!

Found some lovely Blackberry's close to treatment plant (sewer) in Mango over the last few day, made an awesome crumble nom feckin' nom!

Maha
13th February 2015, 17:56
You heathen! Don't dare defile that lovely 18 year old by mixing it! :nono: I'll happily swap you a bottle of baileys or two for it!

It now resides in Mangakino Brett, not sure where it'll end up or in what form, but it will be treated with the love and care a tipple of this nature deserves.

Murray
13th February 2015, 19:14
Found some lovely Blackberry's close to treatment plant (sewer) in Mango over the last few day, made an awesome crumble nom feckin' nom!

What no blackberry nip????