PDA

View Full Version : Triumph Scrambler

Motu
18th September 2005, 12:06
Gorgeous,but not really able to live up to it's name,far too heavy to do more than a smooth gravel road.I wish Kawasaki would do a scrambler verion of the W650,if I ever get enough money I'd do it for them.

Badcat
18th September 2005, 12:13
man - that is sweet, still waiting on my sr500 to arrive from japan before i can start the street tracker re-fit.
waiting
waiting
waiting
waiting

Magua
18th September 2005, 12:24
That is a nice looking bike. Out of curiosity, how much does it weigh?

White trash
18th September 2005, 12:35
Probably exactly the same as a standard Bonnie.

Big Dave
18th September 2005, 14:24
I wish Kawasaki would do a scrambler verion of the W650,if I ever get enough money I'd do it for them.

Have you borrowed Biff's taste gland?

fizzer
18th September 2005, 14:43
i dont like most of the new retro look trumpys, but that is a sweet bike right there.

crazyxr250rider
18th September 2005, 20:32
wouldn`t mind SOMETHING like that eg W650 with higher less swept bars and more suspention

NordieBoy
19th September 2005, 08:49
Wonder how this would go with some road tyres :D

Motu
19th September 2005, 09:14
What sort of frame is that? Could be a standard oil frame,but with the swingarm kinked for a bigger wheel? On a soft loam paddock that thing would do full lock slides with a rooster tail like a muddy rainbow.

I guess you had to be there when they were new to get the full nostalga kick with the scrambler - but at the time we thought they were a bit dorky,not something you could take off road in NZ,but the Yanks used them in the desert.Triumph didn't put out a good dirt bike until the Adventurer (bit early with the name) or Trophy Trail,which used the BSA B50 frame....I was real keen on one and took some money out of my bank ready to put down a deposit....but with the money in pocket got distracted....

Wellyman
19th September 2005, 21:33
*yawn yawn* Another mainly road bike brand trying to attempt a dirt bike.
WM

Motu
19th September 2005, 22:05
WM

They did it long ago - it's called the Tiger....are you up to it?

Brian d marge
19th September 2005, 22:59
They did it long ago - it's called the Tiger....are you up to it?

Yes as is Mr Hunky Rick Semens ,,,* those who know will know * ..Mr hunky did the same thing ,,,you can see on his web site ..think he uses ( present tense ) a 650 motor with ultra nice suspension .....

Me ...I LOVE Triumphs ( except anything past the sit in era ) ...ohh and Enfields ...the ULTiIMATE in trials bikes .....HAve a few ISDEs to their name ..

BUT why use four stokes when 2 is enough ,,,,,,,Long live the Stroker

Stephen

Seen marching off into the distance ,,,singing songs that made Miss Stout-thighs hair curl :nya:

Motu
19th September 2005, 23:11
Super Hunky did Baja on a Triumph 650 chopper - he didn't need no fancy suspension then!

Brian d marge
20th September 2005, 00:32
Super Hunky did Baja on a Triumph 650 chopper - he didn't need no fancy suspension then!

No an we donna need no shtyinky suspension now either .....Rigids except over the whoops and the tripples....then maybe I would conceed

:innocent:
Stephen

Paul in NZ
20th September 2005, 09:18
Wonder how this would go with some road tyres :D

That is one NICE looking bike....

The modern Triumph boys really are a bunch of .... Interesting folks...

Norman Hyde made a 'Scrambler' kit for the new Bonnies ages ago. In fact that looks like his kit as it used the 68 / 70 mufflers which would be too loud for 2005 type approval. I've seen factory versions which are a bit different.

Download the New Bonneville pdf here

http://www.normanhyde.co.uk/

I like his thruxton version a whole lot better too...

Trust a good ole' boy to get it right... Mr Bloor ought to hire Norman to style these bikes and fire his ghey bikes for the straight guy committee he currently employs...

Just my opinion of course....

Cheers

Motu
20th September 2005, 09:22
You don't like the Kiwi designed Triumphs then?

Paul in NZ
20th September 2005, 09:52
You don't like the Kiwi designed Triumphs then?

?? Such as .....

Motu
20th September 2005, 10:55
The guy who designed the Britten went on to work for Bloor,and then to Ducati,he now works for his fathers printing company in Nelson.The father came in one day selling business cards,all the flash stuff y'know - when he saw all the bike stuff around he said his son who would do my design designed the Britten....one day when his son came home with no job,he picked up the phone and this guy Bloor asked to speak to his son.I've read the Britten books,and yes,that's the guy.

Paul in NZ
20th September 2005, 11:01
Interesting...

Ask him if his son can have a word with them about the exhaust port placement on those bonnies. No chance of a decent pipe bend until thats fixed.

Paul N

Motu
20th September 2005, 11:55
It was the sports bikes of the late 90s he did,they wanted that Britten look.

Paul in NZ
20th September 2005, 12:16
It was the sports bikes of the late 90s he did,they wanted that Britten look.

So maybe that wavy alloy frame tube was a nod to the brittens headers?

Badcat
20th September 2005, 12:18
So maybe that wavy alloy frame tube was a nod to the brittens headers?

man - that frame is the single ugliest part of the triumph.
looks broken IMHO.
ewwwwwww.

Big Dave
21st September 2005, 01:13
WM

I don't expect it to be a full on dirt bike, just a bike that will be good to ride on dirt roads and dirt tour on. They are great fun to ride in standard form, I'm looking forward to getting my mits on one for sure.

It's a nostalgia trip - and there is nothing wrong with that - not everything has to be hard core.

Bonez
7th February 2006, 20:47
Gorgeous,but not really able to live up to it's name,far too heavy to do more than a smooth gravel road.I wish Kawasaki would do a scrambler verion of the W650,if I ever get enough money I'd do it for them.

Hear what you are saying. The W650 is definately better proportioned bike. The only new triumph twin that appeals to me is the Truxton. But that weights almost as much as my 750 with similar performance. There's a German and Fench outfit that makes scrambler style pipes for the W650 I think.

Bonez
7th February 2006, 21:21
That is a nice looking bike. Out of curiosity, how much does it weigh? Two hundred and five kilograms DRY.