PDA

View Full Version : West to east coast 100 mile ride

Jackrat
28th January 2004, 17:30
Just found out about this one reading BRM.
27th March Raglan to Waihi
Open to all pre 1985 Bikes.
Damn, This will be like a step back in time,No Evo' Harleys an no modern sports bikes,Blis,Blis,Blis.
For details, ph Ray 0274 735-951 or Trev,021 707-308
or www.tomcc.co.nz

Motu
28th January 2004, 21:04
The XLV750 is a 1986,but Claire always lets me come on rides with them,she'll sort out any protests for me.Keeping the speed downs going to be a tough one though.

No....I don't think I'd trust the XS1 with that much riding in a day - it's bad days of a couple of years ago still haunt me.

Jackrat
28th January 2004, 21:47
Yeah they seem like a pretty eazy going crowd,See ya' there.
Pity you don't bring the XS1,Hey what could go wrong. :rolleyes:
No hang on Don't answer that,I still can,t run my head light for more than about six hours.

Motu
29th January 2004, 09:24
You've had your carbs apart recently Jack,so I'll tell ya what we think happens.

The carb bowl not only seals around the outside but has fuel and air passagways internaly - what we think happens is that bowl or carb body both may be distorted with age and not sealing,so we get internal fuel and air leaks,no wonder we didn't know what the hell was going on.My mate has managed to get them working,his huge pile of parts helps - he doesn't use standard carbs,but for how long will the fix last.Maybe on a long ride like that it will go to shit again...I need to put in more time on the bike,but hardly use it anymore.The Honda is going to be my road bike now....XS1 is getting grumpy about that and pulling little tricks on me,you know what it's like.Hard to keep them all happy with a large stable.

Jackrat
29th January 2004, 11:42
Hmmm,That may be the reason I still get poping an such on the over run.
One day it don't the next it does.I know my exhaust it properly sealed an so are the inlets but I still get the odd hesitation on the gas an the popin' an fartin' on the over run, but only some times.You know,when somebodys lookin'.I am going to buy some VMs as I don't like that diaphragm thing or the vacuum petcock.Reckon their both just waiting a chance to mess with me.
Anyway I have to fix an oil leak on both sides from the Cam seals before this ride,Can,t be leaking oil in front of the British boys :o

Motu
25th March 2004, 10:44
I'm planning on doing this one - leaving my Mt Roskill workshop around 8.00,heading to Tuakau and down 22 coming out at Te Uku.I'll be on my red Honda with an XS650 as company,anyone else is free to tag along - meet you at the Tuakau bridge Jackrat?

Jackrat
26th March 2004, 10:49
Yep,Picked up a new front tyre today,Will adjust the Cam chain an valve clearances an finaly fix the oil leak.Nothing like leaving things to the last minite huh.