PDA

View Full Version : Rusty Nuts Tiki tour

Blind spot
18th September 2005, 17:42
I have been asked to go with a couple of friends on the Rusty nuts Icon Tiki Tour March 2006.
They speak highly of other R N tours they have done.
looks like full on 5 days Russell down to Bluff then back home to dorkland.
Only started having the motorbike mid life crisis 14 months ago , so far 6-7 hrs has been the longest ride i have managed.
The other 2 guys have 25 years experience.
To complete all the tasks on this trip looks to me like some days will be over 1000ks.
Who out there has done one of these rusty Nut trips? are they good fun or did the novelty wear off after the first day, i see it as a good way to get to the mainland and have a look around.
Will be doing it on a wee strom
Any suggestions / comments will be appreciated.

Blackbird
18th September 2005, 17:57
This is the first Tiki Tour, so you'll have the honour of being among the select few! However, anything organised by Lee Hurley and the Rusty Nuts people is simply outstanding so you'll have a wonderful time. Mind you, Lee doesn't believe in running easy events so you're bound to find it a real mental and physical challenge.

Have a look at the ride report : http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=12630 for the Southern Cross which I did with some mates in May. It was a bit cooler then, but it should give you an insight into the practicalities of long haul riding. You have a good bike for it.

Cheers

Geoff

Blind spot
18th September 2005, 18:46
Read the reports and are now fizzing to go, will ask for advice re gear etc nearer the trip date, can,t wait now to set of on a weekend marathon just to get a taste.
auck- welly via napier will be the trip once the days get a bit longer.

matthewt
18th September 2005, 20:25
A few of us did the Big 50 run early this year. That was simliar in some apects. We had 4 days (100 hours actually) to get photographed by the state highways shields 1 -> 50. They are a lot of fun and since everyone will be at common points each night there'll be a lot of people to talk to each night.

I haven't looked in detail at the tiki tour but I imagine most of the days will be 700-1000k. I think Mangell6 may have looked at the route and have a better idea than me.

If you think you'd enjoy it then you probably will. The riders are a nice bunch and I'd rate the Big 50 as one of the most enjoyable rides I've done.