PDA

View Full Version : Helmet selection?

Bonkievan
14th February 2015, 20:00
Hi guys, first time poster here.

I've just purchased a Yamaha Mt-07 after a hiatus of 17yrs without a bike but have a bit of a dilemma- choosing a helmet. I've narrowed it down to 3 models-
Bell RS-1
http://www.crownkiwi.co.nz/crownkiwi/catalogue/?detail&ItemID=19279&SZIDX=1&CCODE=BP-RS1EMBMB&QOH=0&CATID=606&CLN=1

Shark Speed-R
http://www.motozone.co.nz/products/road-riding-gear/helmets-road-2/helmets-road/shark-helmets/shark-speed-r-full-face-helmet-sauer-black-red-ant.aspx

Shoei GT Air
http://www.boydmotorcycles.co.nz/store/ProductDetails.aspx?n=Road-Helmet-Shoei-2014-GT-Air-Inertia-TC2&p=110446&t=1&c=71289

I've tried both the Bell and Shoei on and both fit nicely but the colour scheme I want, in my size, with the Shoei isn't available, the Bell is but is the least preferred and I've not been able to find the Shark to try on. Anywhere in chch which has a good selection of Sharks, as this is my fav out of the 3? I need a lid in days rather than weeks ;-)

Any help appreciated.

mossy1200
14th February 2015, 20:04
Try a HJC R-PHA10 on also if you haven't already.

skippa1
14th February 2015, 20:11
Tin foil....

Bonkievan
14th February 2015, 20:14
Try a HJC R-PHA10 on also if you haven't already.

Thanks for the fast reply, mossy. Yes, I've tried the HJC, as I loved the a particular colour scheme but unfortunately it didn't fit my melon. The HJC must be more of a round shape because it was too tight at my forehead.....bugger. It was a lovely looking lid.

Mike.Gayner
14th February 2015, 20:33
The Shark is a really nice helmet. The Shoei would be my pick, but getting your preferred size/graphics choice is a major pain in the dick. In the end I went with the NXR, but the GT Air was next on my list.

Any of those helmets will be bloody good.

Maha
14th February 2015, 20:38
Out of those three and price is not an issue? The Shoei.

nzspokes
14th February 2015, 20:41
Out of the three I would buy the one that fits the best.

Bonkievan
14th February 2015, 20:42
The Shark is a really nice helmet. The Shoei would be my pick, but getting your preferred size/graphics choice is a major pain in the dick. In the end I went with the NXR, but the GT Air was next on my list.

Any of those helmets will be bloody good. Thanks, Mike. Yeah, I thought getting a helmet would be the least of my worries......apparently not:no:

Out of those three and price is not an issue? The Shoei.

The only colour scheme I like in the Shoei, I can't even find anywhere in Nz. The local bike shop said the next shipment from Shoei doesn't arrive until the end of April:doh:

mossy1200
14th February 2015, 20:44
Thanks for the fast reply, mossy. Yes, I've tried the HJC, as I loved the a particular colour scheme but unfortunately it didn't fit my melon. The HJC must be more of a round shape because it was too tight at my forehead.....bugger. It was a lovely looking lid.

You may have shark issues.
My other helmet is shark RSI and it seems about the same comfort level on my melon head although I find the chin area a bit closer.
Funny thing is my old shoei xr800 was a good fit also.
I might have a soft skull that moulds to any helmet shape.

Bonkievan
16th February 2015, 20:44
Update-

Ended up getting the Bell RS-1 Emblem Matt Black with a 'transition' visor.

Had an hour ride in the lovely weather here in chc today. It stayed comfortable on ma melon the whole time. Can't comment on noise capabilities, as it's been that long since I had a bike the helmet I had back then had as much noise cancelling characteristics as a colander pot.:yes:...

First impressions -very good.

Thanks to all that replied.

Tazz
16th February 2015, 21:49
That Shoei only has a 3 star safety rating so you did well avoiding it ;)

rocketman1
18th February 2015, 19:23
Bought a Shoei Neotec a few months back, apart from being a flipup best helmet I have ever worn. I have had a few dozen others before.
Should be good for $800 pingers though.