PDA

View Full Version : Issues with battery or maybe more?

Mozenwrath
22nd February 2015, 08:48
Hi all, After riding my bike for an hour or so, I get home and hit the kill switch. Forgetting I had my ignition switch still on I went inside and forgot about the bike. Following morning I can't find my bike key and then I realised it was still in the bike. Battery completely drained, so I tried my bike charger for 12 hrs and nothing happened. I took it to a battery store and they charged it me for me and said any thing under 3V the bike charger wont register...
got the battery home reading 12.5v no lights or instrument panel lighting comes on.

I checked the main fuses and seem to be fine. Any thoughts this would be great!

Big Dog
22nd February 2015, 09:10
Does your kill switch prevent the dash from booting up?

Are you sure you have good connections on the battery? And to the correct terminals?

Have you tried turning the key off and then on?

Do you have an RFID that needs to be in range? Is it? Do you have to do anything to make it work after a power issue?

Have you checked the fuses?

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Mozenwrath
22nd February 2015, 09:29
Hey Big Dog, thanks for your reply....

If the Kill switch is on or off the dash still comes on, just doesn't click over. (but at the moment nothing is showing)

Yes, the black terminal is on Neg and red on Pos

Yes I have tried the key on and off

No I dont have a RFID, and yes I have checked the small fuses and seem fine but the big fuse beside the little ones I haven't. My meter just VDC & VAC

FJRider
22nd February 2015, 09:46
Hi all, After riding my bike for an hour or so, I get home and hit the kill switch. Forgetting I had my ignition switch still on I went inside and forgot about the bike. Following morning I can't find my bike key and then I realised it was still in the bike. Battery completely drained, so I tried my bike charger for 12 hrs and nothing happened. I took it to a battery store and they charged it me for me and said any thing under 3V the bike charger wont register...
got the battery home reading 12.5v no lights or instrument panel lighting comes on.

I checked the main fuses and seem to be fine. Any thoughts this would be great!

ANY possible battery issue can be checked by simply connecting a KNOWN to be good battery to the terminals ... even if only by jumper leads to your car.

If the problem still remains ... it is not the battery.

Mozenwrath
22nd February 2015, 09:50
FJrider, will look at giving this a shot....wont cook any fuses by doing this?? since amperage higher on car battery is higher etc

FJRider
22nd February 2015, 09:52
FJrider, will look at giving this a shot....wont cook any fuses by doing this?? since amperage higher on car battery is higher etc

Don't have the car running and connect the Earth terminal first ...

Mozenwrath
22nd February 2015, 13:02
No such luck FJRider, battery didn't work from car. Nothing lit up:weep:
Strange though it only happened during/after the battery drained.

Any thoughts what this could be??

FJRider
22nd February 2015, 13:25
No such luck FJRider, battery didn't work from car. Nothing lit up:weep:
Strange though it only happened during/after the battery drained.

Any thoughts what this could be??

Blown bulbs in the dash ... ???? (simple fixes first)

Question ...

1. Does the bike start and run ... ?? (assuming fresh battery)

Mozenwrath
22nd February 2015, 13:38
Hey FJRider followed the pos lead to another single 30amp fuse box further down (having to take side paneling off).....the green 30amp fuse was blown. found a temporary 20a fuse slid it in and all action staions going. Very relived :banana:

only having to send a couple of dollars Vs $$$$

made it hard when all tools in my work van which is at work..moral of story have a simple kit at home....

Phew

:) :)

BMWST?
22nd February 2015, 14:13
Hey FJRider followed the pos lead to another single 30amp fuse box further down (having to take side paneling off).....the green 30amp fuse was blown. found a temporary 20a fuse slid it in and all action staions going. Very relived :banana:

only having to send a couple of dollars Vs $$$$

made it hard when all tools in my work van which is at work..moral of story have a simple kit at home....

Phew

:) :)

should have a small kit on the bike.What do you do if you have a puncture or some other small isue on the road?Build up a kit that you can do all the basics you want to do from the on bike kit

Mozenwrath
22nd February 2015, 14:17
Hey FJRider i do have a kit for bike, as i went for small loop around town i didnt bother to have it with me(In van). it was to charge up battery and do some shopping...i feel like a dick now:/:sweatdrop

FJRider
22nd February 2015, 14:24
should have a small kit on the bike.What do you do if you have a puncture or some other small isue on the road?Build up a kit that you can do all the basics you want to do from the on bike kit

Simple basic kit on the bike saves a shit-load of aggro on any riders disposition ... As does a workshop manual on YOUR model.

Knowledge is ... staying on the road.

Murray
22nd February 2015, 18:11
I revived this thread a couple of days ago -its a good one

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/141792-Good-ideas-and-handy-hints?highlight=handy