PDA

View Full Version : New Bucket - won't start

omamari
24th February 2015, 21:04
Hi there,

Finally got an Fxr150. Bought it off Gavin from Auckland. Running when I bought it.

Took it home, it ran the length of the drive, bogged and died. It was on reserve at the time. Fuel was added. No go. Assume I'd sucked in some gunk from the bottom of the tank. Took of carb float bowl, clean as a whistle. I don't know much about carbs, any more I should do?

So spark, Gavin had ripped all the guts out of this bike so it's running only regulator/rectifier and CDI. I've moved both about so they are internal of the frame. But have only plugged and unplugged them. Plugs are in tight. I guess next is to take out spark plug to check it's firing, but I haven't got a tool for that... must get one. Any recommendations on a specific tool? It looks like a tight fit to get any tool in there.

Before I go out and buy a tool,anything stupid I'm missing here?

Any advice, would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Daniel

omamari
24th February 2015, 21:06
Details.Kicks over a few times and sounds OK. But no firing at all. Then kick start goes soft to kick, I'm guessing I'm flooding it.

koba
24th February 2015, 21:19
Put more fresh fuel in it, also make sure it has a fuel filter.
Get back in the the carb and make sure the pilot jet is clean, I'm sure you will find a how to on youtube.
If it was low on fuel it will likely have sucked debris and shit out of the bottom of the tank, the hole in the pilot jet is very small and blocks easy. A blocked pilot jet leads to hard/no starting.
Next check for spark, make sure the plug is earthed when trying this.

omamari
24th February 2015, 21:22
I've put in fresh fuel. Filter is good. Will fully take about carb and clean. Thanks Koba. Sure I'll lose some bits and f* it. Is there a FXR workshop manual anywhere?

cotswold
24th February 2015, 23:12
just check the battery is working as it will be constant loss , no power no brmmm

Yow Ling
25th February 2015, 05:07
just check the battery is working as it will be constant loss , no power no brmmm

If it has a rectifier / regulator it wont be total loss , so it wont need a battery
make sure the cdi connector is on straight and there is no strain on the cable
check the petrol tap is on and in the reserve position
check kill switch is in the run position
get sombody to give you a push start
talk to Gavin

mr bucketracer
25th February 2015, 06:55
if you sqert some fuel in the carb and it fires up it prombley the carb .. is it a oko carb ?

F5 Dave
25th February 2015, 08:11
You don't have a spark plug spanner? :wacko:

Get ye to a motorcycle shop & get a cheap tube one.

Tell us about the choke.

cotswold
25th February 2015, 10:55
If it has a rectifier / regulator it wont be total loss , so it wont need a battery
make sure the cdi connector is on straight and there is no strain on the cable
check the petrol tap is on and in the reserve position
check kill switch is in the run position
get sombody to give you a push start
talk to Gavin

pays to read things properly, just assumed it had all the guff ripped out :facepalm:

TALLIS
25th February 2015, 17:39
I have had issues with the cdi on two of my previous fxrs. Seeing that you have unplugged it, sometimes the connections in the plug are not to good and can cause a intermittent stopping fault. I found, if you run one cable tie around the top of the plug, then one horizontal around the cdi holding the hole lot tight together. That has as I say worked for me in two cases.

otherwise it's just good for scrap.... I'll give you 20 for the engine ;)

chrisc
25th February 2015, 21:47
I start with the ridiculously simple and easy to test:

A) is the kill switch turned on? If yes, go to B
B) is there fuel and is the tap turned on? If yes, go to C
C) hold the plug against the cylinder, is there spark? If yes, go to D
D) remove the carb. Is there is fuel in the float bowl? If yes, go to E
E) check the carb float level, needle and seat and jets for crap in the fuel

After the above, you should have some good direction as to where the issue is. Having basic tools will help

omamari
26th February 2015, 09:55
Thanks! What size is the plug socket, 16mm?

mr bucketracer
26th February 2015, 11:03
Thanks! What size is the plug socket, 16mm?5/8 ..........(-;

omamari
4th March 2015, 08:30
if you sqert some fuel in the carb and it fires up it prombley the carb .. is it a oko carb ?

Hey Guys,

It has spark, looks nice and in the right position too.

I want to bypass carb somewhat {I've already had a go cleaning it, and the jets, out}.

Regards spraying fuel directly into air inlet of the carb, will CRC jump start be effective for that? I don't know how I would spray fuel. Just out of general curiosity, is the CRC Jump Start a decent enough fuel to be the sole fuel, or does it only lower the combustion energy required of petrol.

Edit: Just looked it up, CRC Jump Start is 30-60% 'gasoline' and 'may cause genetic defects'. Just what I'm after.

F5 Dave
4th March 2015, 08:59
. . ..

Tell us about the choke.

So if it starts with some spray . . .

Bert
4th March 2015, 17:31
Hey Guys,

It has spark, looks nice and in the right position too.

I want to bypass carb somewhat {I've already had a go cleaning it, and the jets, out}.

Regards spraying fuel directly into air inlet of the carb, will CRC jump start be effective for that? I don't know how I would spray fuel. Just out of general curiosity, is the CRC Jump Start a decent enough fuel to be the sole fuel, or does it only lower the combustion energy required of petrol.

Edit: Just looked it up, CRC Jump Start is 30-60% 'gasoline' and 'may cause genetic defects'. Just what I'm after.

Jump start and the likes just mask the issue somewhat... Not really ideal for isolating problems.
You don't have to spray fuel, just fill up a small cap (10mm max) and chuck in the back of the carb (with the throttle wide open).. Motor will suck it in.

So if it starts with some spray . .tell us about the carb and choke. .

Seems like something is blocked up in the idle or choke.

omamari
6th March 2015, 17:55
Jump start and the likes just mask the issue somewhat... Not really ideal for isolating problems.
You don't have to spray fuel, just fill up a small cap (10mm max) and chuck in the back of the carb (with the throttle wide open).. Motor will suck it in.

Seems like something is blocked up in the idle or choke.
Wouldn't start spraying CRC jump into carb. Took off carb, sprayed into engine air inlet. ... LIFE.

Choke air hole is large and free. I'm not sure what hole the idle fuel gets sucked through. I can see where fuel must come out in the tiny hole on engine side of butterfly. I've only taken out and cleaned the main jet with the socket end.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/05/83408651d7db6432c8f4c245a0eb0c6c.jpg

omamari
6th March 2015, 18:07
This bugger here? That's nice and seized and grated to sh*? http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/05/93c36d110010b9ec1c2cc661b631d393.jpg

Yow Ling
6th March 2015, 18:48
Take off the top cover and check to see if the diaphram (rubber thing) is ripped and the slide is free to move up and down

omamari
6th March 2015, 18:49
Both are good. Thanks!

omamari
6th March 2015, 20:21
So, thought I'd warm her up with engine start. No go. Pulled out plug again, no spark. F#er tricked me. Then it goes again. Looks like I'm pulling some wires apart..

mr bucketracer
6th March 2015, 20:53
So, thought I'd warm her up with engine start. No go. Pulled out plug again, no spark. F#er tricked me. Then it goes again. Looks like I'm pulling some wires apart..my mates stater was doing that , near burn't out , just run a battery

omamari
6th March 2015, 20:56
my mates stater was doing that , near burn't out , just run a battery
Found it just now. frayed wire that was covered in tape. Ran 1st kick. Wahoo! I was beginning to think buckets weren't for me. At least now I've learnt a bit about 4 stroke carbs.

Thanks for all your advice guys

Henk
6th March 2015, 21:32
Come to Tokoroa

mr bucketracer
6th March 2015, 21:35
good stuff !

omamari
6th March 2015, 21:47
Come to Tokoroa
See how quickly I can get this puppy acetyled up. Think I'll save my first outing go round 6 in Auckland.

What makes the grand prix different?

Henk
7th March 2015, 08:49
GP is the closest thing we have to a national title. Other than that, longer races at probably the best kart track in the North Island for buckets.