PDA

View Full Version : DanMoto Carbon GP Exhausts [CB919/Honda Hornet] - An Honest Review

The End
4th March 2015, 11:47
After much deliberation and wanting a nicer sounding exhaust for my 2007 Honda Hornet (CB919), I decided to purchase a set of DanMoto Carbon GP exhausts. (https://www.dan-moto.com/DM_INT/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=18_19_88&products_id=235) - At the time of purchase they were $350 NZD including shipping.

I had done plenty of research about DanMoto's pipes and had read many positive reviews about them, however there were a few negative reviews which left me somewhat hesitant. Given the low price I thought 'why not' and went ahead an ordered a set on February 24th. I also ordered a set of baffles in case I decided the exhausts were too loud (as many reviews had indicated).

Fast forward to March 3rd and they had arrived - pretty quick from China to New Zealand.

The exhausts arrived extremely well packaged, covered in a thick layer of bubble wrap and were spotless upon opening the box. The baffles were packaged separately and were floating around the box.

My first reaction was that they were much lighter than the stock exhausts and also much better looking. The overall build quality looked impressive given the price and general consensus of Chinese made products. The welds looked spot on (although I am no engineer) and the carbon fibre weaving was also very tidy.

The installation process was a bit more complex given no instructions were included except for a generic picture of how the exhaust and slip on part fit together.

Given a bit of time thinking, I was able to use the included bracket with the stock exhaust bolt and some washers I had laying around to fit the bracket on to the Hornet's frame. I had to tighten the clamp which fits around the exhaust and the mid-pipe very tight to stop the mid pipe sliding off the 1-in-to-2 part of the exhaust system.

After a bit more tinkering to get things looking tidy, I put the bike back together and pushed it out of the garage, eager with anticipation at how my beloved bike would sound.

My first reaction upon starting the bike was a huge smile and trying very hard not to rev the bike to its loudest. The exhausts have a deep growl at idle are much louder than the stock exhausts.

After taking the bike for a longer ride I can definitely agree with previous reviews in saying that the DanMoto Carbon GP exhausts without the baffle are incredibly loud. I ride with foam ear plugs in my ear and sitting at the traffic lights or riding at <70km/h the deep growl is loud and noticeable.

Above 100km/h the sound of the exhausts when riding at a constant speed is reasonable and I would say about the same noise as the wind at that speed. However the second you snap your wrist and accelerate you get a brief, loud tone which resonates through the body.

I'm still on the fence about whether or not I put the baffles in, yes I don't want to lose my hearing, however I don't want to lose the nice tone either.

Overall I am very pleased with the exhausts from DanMoto. The install process wasn't the easiest, however once I found a way to mount the exhausts with some spare parts I had laying around they fit nicely. The build quality looks great and the sound is amazing.

AllanB
4th March 2015, 18:55
The USA boys like them on their 919's

The noise killers are a smaller sized tube that screws in the end? Pop it in and if it is too quiet for you you can always progressively chop them to a shorter length until you get the level you find acceptable.