PDA

View Full Version : cars are, like, so much safer than bikes.

crshbndct
19th September 2005, 16:04
this is the crash test of an upcoming car made in china, the Jiangling (JMC) Landwind (http://www.landwind.com)

apparently it was so bad, the technicians said the safety was 30-50 years behind current vehicles.

Exterior View (http://www.anwb.nl/published/anwbcms/content/binaire-bestanden/mpg/auto/tests/crashtest-landwind-1-467150.wmv)

Interior View (http://www.anwb.nl/published/anwbcms/content/binaire-bestanden/mpg/auto/tests/crashtest-landwind-2-467165.wmv)

crshbndct
19th September 2005, 16:09
its like a 2 mb download, really worth watching.
look out for neck snapping action at 0:06

bugjuice
19th September 2005, 16:09
fook me.. no thanx..

NotaGoth
19th September 2005, 16:17
:eek5: thats real bad..

Lou Girardin
19th September 2005, 16:47
See how that front wheel went right into the footwell. Be legless and sober.
They'll be on sale here soon if Helen gets her FTA with China.

enigma51
19th September 2005, 16:50
Does anybody know what type of car it is it looks like a forester or suzuki thing

MisterD
19th September 2005, 16:58
Does anybody know what type of car it is it looks like a forester or suzuki thing

Looks like the old Isuzu / Holden thing, dunno what it was here...Vauxhall Frontera in the UK I think.

Motu
19th September 2005, 17:03
50 years behind?? Get real! Do a crash test on a 1955 Landrover,the standard 4x4 of the era,this Chinese vehicle is lightyears ahead.On the prelaunch testing of the Mercedes A class they rolled them over on easy swerves,they had to halt the launch as Mercedes didn't know you could do that....duh.I drove a A160 last week,what a piece of shit.

enigma51
19th September 2005, 17:09
Maybe I should have read the post doh its a landwind thingy from china

texmo
19th September 2005, 17:14
See how that front wheel went right into the footwell. Be legless and sober.
They'll be on sale here soon if Helen gets her FTA with China.

Cant be on sale wont pass frontal impact, there was a nice alfa that some guy had brough over from the uk in vinz last week wont ever go on the road because that model didnt meet nz frontal impact standards nothing he can do.

crshbndct
19th September 2005, 17:57
i actually think that that is an old isuzu bighorn.

*sic
19th September 2005, 18:23
f u c k that!

bugjuice
20th September 2005, 09:31
Cant be on sale wont pass frontal impact, there was a nice alfa that some guy had brough over from the uk in vinz last week wont ever go on the road because that model didnt meet nz frontal impact standards nothing he can do.
can stick it on the track and race it... :woohoo:

chris
20th September 2005, 09:42
On the prelaunch testing of the Mercedes A class they rolled them over on easy swerves,
It was slightly more than 'easy swerves'. The test conducted by the Swedish journalists was the Elk test. This involved a sudden change of direction, as though an Elk had just wandered out from the edge of the forest into the path of an oncoming vehicle. It involves a harsh, sudden change of direction. It is, apparently, a standard test carried out by Swedish journos.

Sniper
20th September 2005, 09:44

Yes there is. There is a little known loophole, but it costs a fair bit.

Bugger on that bloody car. You would die at 20kms

chris
20th September 2005, 09:48
A manufacturer supplied certificate of conformity (is that correct? Can't remember) is what is needed. The Alfa will have passed European standards. Went through the same with a Mitsubishi Pajero. Didn't have the necessary frontal impact standards as it did not arrive here from Japan. After a lot of phone calls, Mitsubishi issued a certificate, and the Pajero is now on the road in NZ.
So, it should be possible to get the Alfa on the road, the owner needs to persevere.

Motu
20th September 2005, 09:58
It was slightly more than 'easy swerves'. The test conducted by the Swedish journalists was the Elk test. This involved a sudden change of direction, as though an Elk had just wandered out from the edge of the forest into the path of an oncoming vehicle. It involves a harsh, sudden change of direction. It is, apparently, a standard test carried out by Swedish journos.

I think I saw them do it to a Rangerover on 5th Gear,makes you a bit more aware if you drive a 4x4.That's why that 4x4 rolled on Muriwai,took an evaisive swerve and it's all over.But why didn't 'safety'' concious Mercedes Benz know about it,that was the big stink.

By the way this thing folds up I'd say it doesn't have a full chassis,but most 4x4s these days don't - because they have to pass a crash test,a full chassis one won't.But yes,someone has cocked up - but 40 or 50 years behind? No way...5 years maybe.

Biff
20th September 2005, 13:00
Looks like the old Isuzu / Holden thing, dunno what it was here...Vauxhall Frontera in the UK I think.

Yup. Heap of shite, and as good at off roading as Elvis on a Harley.

oldrider
20th September 2005, 13:32
I might be mistaken but it resembles a "Kia" model currently on sale here!!! Korean make. I had an earlier model, never crashed it but it was a good car to drive and performed well in 4x4. Shit ,didn't like the look of those tests. Cheers John.

Ixion
20th September 2005, 14:34
A manufacturer supplied certificate of conformity (is that correct? Can't remember) is what is needed. The Alfa will have passed European standards. Went through the same with a Mitsubishi Pajero. Didn't have the necessary frontal impact standards as it did not arrive here from Japan. After a lot of phone calls, Mitsubishi issued a certificate, and the Pajero is now on the road in NZ.
So, it should be possible to get the Alfa on the road, the owner needs to persevere.

Conformity ? Standards ? Alfa ???? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ixion
20th September 2005, 14:38
I think I saw them do it to a Rangerover on 5th Gear,makes you a bit more aware if you drive a 4x4.That's why that 4x4 rolled on Muriwai,took an evaisive swerve and it's all over.But why didn't 'safety'' concious Mercedes Benz know about it,that was the big stink.

By the way this thing folds up I'd say it doesn't have a full chassis,but most 4x4s these days don't - because they have to pass a crash test,a full chassis one won't.But yes,someone has cocked up - but 40 or 50 years behind? No way...5 years maybe.

Anybody driving a 4x4 and NOT realising that they'll roll if you treat 'em rough is a prat. And the sooner they roll themselves off the road (or off the off raod , in this case, the better)

full chassis,but most 4x4s these days don't

Yeah, that's why I like the old Pajero. Solid steel full chassis, take one HELL of a lot to crumple it. Even the bumpers are solid steel plate welded up. not pretty but tough as. Modern ones are wimpmobiles.

myvice
20th September 2005, 20:14
Know a guy with a TVR Griffith from Pomgolia, same problem.
Anyone wanna buy a TVR?
Good ($45-$50k) track car?

Lou Girardin
21st September 2005, 08:18
Yeah, that's why I like the old Pajero. Solid steel full chassis, take one HELL of a lot to crumple it. Even the bumpers are solid steel plate welded up. not pretty but tough as. Modern ones are wimpmobiles.

They used to use the occupants as crumple zones, didn't they.

Ixion
21st September 2005, 13:05
They used to use the occupants as crumple zones, didn't they.

Not if they're properly belted up. Got to be a reason why racers and rally cars are modified to provide a non crumple cockpit.

XTC
21st September 2005, 14:10
I doubt my 99 falcon would be any better....

MisterD
21st September 2005, 15:49
Anyone wanna buy a TVR?

Seriously? But I saw one of those Ariel Atom flying bedsted things the other day, is it just a case of can't be arsed on TVR's part?

Sniper
21st September 2005, 16:26
Anyone wanna buy a TVR?

Please don't tell me he wants $45k for it? :mellow: