PDA

View Full Version : Virago or Intruder for a newbie

roks
19th September 2005, 16:20
I'm looking for a 250cc bike, first choice would be the virago or the intruder, I was also including the Suzuki GZ but a bike shop told me to preferably get a twin over and above a single....any suggestions people?? I'm in Christchurch :2thumbsup

Waylander
19th September 2005, 16:25
Go the Virago mate. Great bikes they are.:first:

MSTRS
19th September 2005, 16:29
I'm looking for a 250cc bike, first choice would be the virago or the intruder, I was also including the Suzuki GZ but a bike shop told me to preferably get a twin over and above a single....any suggestions people?? I'm in Christchurch :2thumbsup
If you are after a 250 cruiser, the bike shop advice is correct. Add the Kawasaki Eliminator to your look-at list.

roks
19th September 2005, 16:35
the bike shop said a v-twin would be better for highway cruising, and since I will probably have this bike for 2 years, I don't want something I'm going to tire of. I'll check out the Kawasaki, but I'm a virago fan from way back after I dated a guy with an 1100. Very reliable bike and was very kind to me when I rode it round the block. :ride:

Waylander
19th September 2005, 16:38
the bike shop said a v-twin would be better for highway cruising, and since I will probably have this bike for 2 years, I don't want something I'm going to tire of. I'll check out the Kawasaki, but I'm a virago fan from way back after I dated a guy with an 1100. Very reliable bike and was very kind to me when I rode it round the block. :ride:
Did I mention that I ride an 1100?

MSTRS
19th September 2005, 16:43
Shameless.

Bike: .
You wouldn't be wanting to leave us now, would you?

Waylander
19th September 2005, 16:44
Shameless.
Yes

You wouldn't be wanting to leave us now, would you?
Long story.

roks
19th September 2005, 16:50

So you're a little biased then??? But they are a good bike. Still pricey though and not very plentiful down here in Canterbury :wacko:

Waylander
19th September 2005, 16:53
So you're a little biased then??? But they are a good bike. Still pricey though and not very plentiful down here in Canterbury :wacko:
lol Just a tiny bit.
Guy on this site called Virago has an 1100 down in your area I believe (well, Otago mostly) Same with another bloke calling himself The Preacher. Not many XV250's down that way that I know of though...

Several up this way though. 2 in Auckland (used to be 3) another in Tauranga and a few other Virago's here and there of all sizes.

campbellluke
19th September 2005, 16:56
If you are getting a 250cc, get a 4 cylinder. Only way to go.

roks
19th September 2005, 16:57
I know there are some up there, I've seen the ads *sob* I've got a good mate with an Intruder who would go check out a virago for me in Aucks and have it shipped down....shipping would cost about $500.00...I've already checked out that idea. :yes:

crashe
19th September 2005, 17:01
Buy a Virago 250.... that are great to ride....

Yep I am biased as I ride one...
Had mine for 5 years.. and love it..

(Thats me on mine in my avator....)

Paul in NZ
19th September 2005, 17:01
Personally.....

I'm not a fan of japanese cruiser bikes but... I'm not really a fan of japanese bikes anyway so...

BUT... If you want a cruiser style bike the 250cc Virago has a pretty good reputation for reliablity. Having said that you WILL be tired of it inside a month if you want it to go fast. If you want other options and have a longer inside leg measurement look at the beautiful Yamaha SRV 250 (also rare) and if you are both tall AND affluent the Honda 250cc VTR which is a bloody stunning bike ....

If you do go the Virago way - PLEASE change the handlebars. The one thing the japanese have never mastered is how to make elegant handlebars which is why they probably invented those horrible alloy fork top clipon things.. aarrgghh!

Just my opinion of course but it's certainly worth what you paid for it ;-)

Paul N

roks
19th September 2005, 17:03
I'm only 5'2" hence my need for something low to the ground.....like me! :weep:

Ixion
19th September 2005, 17:06
Well, I like single cylinder 4 strokes m'self - more powerful ,less to go wrong, and cheap as chips to run. But the Virago certainly has a good rep, and particularly with the ladies. I think everyone who has had one has been happy with it (accepting the residual unhappiness of only being able to have a 250 when you want something bigger )

crashe
19th September 2005, 17:06

I am 4 ft 12 inches tall.... and the Virago is the way to go...

Just love cruiseing out there on the roads..
Sure they arent built to go as fast as a sportbikes..
But cruisers are just that a cruiser...

Paul in NZ - nothing wrong with the handlebars mate...

TerminalAddict
19th September 2005, 17:10
just out of curiosity.

how are they for overtaking etc? top speed of 140 I hear, but do they struggle to get there?

roks
19th September 2005, 17:13
waits with baited breath for the answer to this. It will be ages before I overtake anything...but those grannies out doing there shopping will see my grin as I go by.

Paul in NZ
19th September 2005, 17:13

Paul in NZ - nothing wrong with the handlebars mate...

Dey is ugly! And trust me - I KNOW ugly...

This has not been updated for a bit but.. For a list of short bikes for shorter beginners, go here....

http://www.nebcom.com/noemi/moto/sbl.sbl.html

crashe
19th September 2005, 17:15
just out of curiosity.

how are they for overtaking etc? top speed of 140 I hear, but do they struggle to get there?

Mate I have no trouble overtaking....hehehehe
Ask some of the lads that I have ridden with....
I get past the cars and trucks....

I am just slow on cornering out in the country...
Just need more practise.

Well ok sometimes I do have trouble, if they are going so much faster than what I can get the bike to do...

Great around the city, quick take offs...

Waylander
19th September 2005, 17:16

This has not been updated for a bit but.. For a list of short bikes for shorter beginners, go here....

Nothing I have ever seen on a guzzi could be classed as ellegant mate. And who was the idiot that thought putting a v-twin in a bike sideways was a good idea anyway?:nya:

Horeses for courses mate, just cause you don't like them doesn't mean they aren't cool.

roks
19th September 2005, 17:20
lol....my partner has a guzzi and although he's not fond of the cruiser tyle bikes, he agrees that one of themis right for me :)

MSTRS
19th September 2005, 17:21
just out of curiosity.

The EL doesn't struggle. I reckon it'll do 150+ on the flat with no headwind.

crashe
19th September 2005, 17:23

under 5'0" manage
5'0 - 5'1" flatfoot

+Honda CB125
Honda CMX250 Rebel
Honda CM250
Kawasaki KZ250 LTD
+Suzuki GN125
Suzuki GN250
Suzuki Savage 650
Yamaha XV250 Route 66
Yamaha Virago 535
+Yamaha YSR50

Rebel 250... has the air filters right by ya thighs...
which makes the bike seating area too wide... I know cos I sat on one.. and I decided that I wasn't gonna get bruised thighs all the time. So you need longer legs to ride this.. like Riff Raff has longer legs and could ride it great.

Savage 650 - yep I can reach the ground, but most people say they are a problem bike. I believe they aren't making them no more.

GN250 - too tall for me... feet swinging off the ground.

Virago 535 - hard to find these bikes... and they have a funny little tank.. in fact the real tank is under the seat. Can reach the ground, just.

Virago 250 - Just right - yep I would love to have higher handlebars on my bike... Ok I saw "Easy Rider" years ago and I just so love the ape hangers....

SlashWylde
19th September 2005, 17:29
Hey there, get a Virago 250 I say. That's the bike I had for nine months before I graduated to a full licence and bought my VN800. mine was a 1993 model with 18,000 kms on the clock. Bought for $3700 from Red Baron and traded in for $3000 at 26,000kms (subsequently sold by the shop for around $3500 I think). These bikes hold their value so if you are looking to buy a second-hand model, $4k is what you should expect to pay depending on condition and mileage.

They are a very comfortable machine, very forgiving and great for learner riders. They will top out at 120kph to 140kph depending on incline and head wind. As for overtaking at speed? well I've out-run 400cc sports bikers through the twisties on my old Virago, taken a 5 day tour of the East Cape from Auckland through to Tauranga, the Cape, Gisbourne and Napier then Back to Auck with about 20kg of gear stowed on board. Also been down to National park in the depths of Winter for the Waikato rally then climbed back out again in the freezing cold.

No problems what so ever. Only thing that ever went wrong with her was a broken throttle cable early on because the original had rusted through after 12 years in situ.

Buy one, you won't regret it. :niceone:

Bonez
19th September 2005, 17:34
Savage 650 - yep I can reach the ground, but most people say they are a problem bike. I believe they aren't making them no more.

They are. It's called the S40 Boulevard now.

roks
19th September 2005, 18:06
Thanks for your comments everyone :love:

crashe
19th September 2005, 18:10
Thanks for your comments everyone :love:

Your most welcome...
oh yeah and welcome to KB..... :banana:

roks
19th September 2005, 18:13
thanks...super friendly site....I'm still going to check out the Lifan motorcycles though, I've a mate in Aucks who is going to go see them and report back. :niceone:

Waylander
19th September 2005, 18:15
here ya go...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Cruiser/auction-35810031.htm (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Cruiser/auction_photo-35810031/permanent-0/photoid-12525842/p-1/m-0001%2D0026%2D1255%2D2508%2D/title-Yamaha+Virago+250cc.htm)

EDIT: fixed it, original link was just to the enlarged picture...

roks
19th September 2005, 18:17
already seen it....I reckon I know darn near every 250cc cruiser style bike for sale in the country...phew!! I'm exhausted even before I start to ride, I think I need a drink!! :beer:

Virago
19th September 2005, 19:10
Hi Roks - welcome! :)

I too am a Virago fan - great for the vertically challenged! I've tried out a few 250 cruisers, and recommend the Virago for it's smooth power, highway capability, and "big cruiser" looks.

As you say, there's not much around in the south at the moment. There's this one in Dunedin:

http://www.bikepoint.co.nz/DesktopDefault.aspx?UsedBikeID=1005938&TabID=3553&Alias=bikepointnz

They want too much for it, but it's been in the showroom for over a year, so it might be worth a cheeky offer. I've got a short video clip of my daughter trying it out (she's just under 4'10"!) - let me know if you want to see it.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

roks
19th September 2005, 19:31
thanks...I've sent you a private message about this...would like to see the clip. :spudwave:

Rashika
19th September 2005, 19:35
thanks...super friendly site....

welcome to the gang Roks! esp big welcome to the chch gang of kbrs.

and as an ex-virago rider i can highly recommend them...okay so I had a 750 not a 250, but I had it for 10 years so there must have been something damn good about it :2thumbsup
I did look at the 250s when I was at that stage but settled on a GN as the virago were just way outa my price range then (long time ago now), then went to the 750 Virago when I got my full licence.
excellant bike tho, from memory over the 10 years I:
-had one flat tyre
-replaced the regulater when it went bung, eventually altho the bike stayed going till the last wire went
-fixed the front fork seals once
and just the usual oil, and plugs changes

Comfy ride, and pretty forgiving for a beginner...I'd say get one if you can afford it...it'll keep you going for the next couple of years till you want more power

and i know what you mean about checking out every damn bike in the country...I've just got my new bike and it took a lot of looking to get the right one, but alls good now!!
Good luck and if you need any help just holla :rockon:

oh yeah and that pic up the top left is the arse end of my old bike, with a beaut Waiau sunrise in the background :)

roks
19th September 2005, 19:39
Thanks, I can't get over how helpful people are. It seems that the Virago is the bike of choice and I'd rather a little more for something a little more special, with the Intruder being second pick. How come when you want something though there's none around :scratch:

Scorpygirl
19th September 2005, 20:05

At 4 ft 11 and short on the legs AKA ducks disease the Virago 250 does me - I am still on my learners.

The Preacher
19th September 2005, 20:51
lol Just a tiny bit.
Guy on this site called Virago has an 1100 down in your area I believe (well, Otago mostly) Same with another bloke calling himself The Preacher. Not many XV250's down that way that I know of though...

Several up this way though. 2 in Auckland (used to be 3) another in Tauranga and a few other Virago's here and there of all sizes.

Waylander, another 1998 VX1100 has appeared in Timaru. A 45yr fella just purchased it from someone in Christchurch 2 months ago. He debaffled it the other day and man does it sound lovely. He was telling me that the fella who helped him, his wife owns a XV1100 also not sure of the year. She hasn't ridden it for 2 yrs since surgery or something like that. :niceone:

Waylander
19th September 2005, 21:02
Waylander, another 1998 VX1100 has appeared in Timaru. A 45yr fella just purchased it from someone in Christchurch 2 months ago. He debaffled it the other day and man does it sound lovely. He was telling me that the fella who helped him, his wife owns a XV1100 also not sure of the year. She hasn't ridden it for 2 yrs since surgery or something like that. :niceone:
Wicked, lots ore Virago's on the road.:devil2:

The Preacher
19th September 2005, 21:04
Wicked, lots ore Virago's on the road.:devil2:

And when you follow one from behind, they do look like a H-D but at a fraction of the price :banana:

Paul in NZ
19th September 2005, 21:17
Nothing I have ever seen on a guzzi could be classed as ellegant mate. And who was the idiot that thought putting a v-twin in a bike sideways was a good idea anyway?:nya:

Horeses for courses mate, just cause you don't like them doesn't mean they aren't cool.

Elegance is entirely subjective...

I don't particularly like Viragos, nor do I dislike them overly BUT the Japanese have always struggled to produce a nice handlebar bend - which is the ugly bit I refer too... The Virago can be improved (again in my opinion) by swapping the bars for a more suitable bend. Something it shares with the GN250... I do admire greatly the longevity of the model in a market reknown for changes of style. Some people obviously like em! Good for them!

As for the idiot.... I know you are young and in your lifetime Guzzi has become an eccentric brand but trust me. There is more to them in terms of logic and common sense than most people give them credit for.. In fact, the idiot was building world championship winning motorcycles that Yamaha has yet to even consider attempting while your lot were still figuring out pianos. Even now, in a straight race, I'd probably back my shitty old 'inelegant' push rod Moto Guzzi against your modern OHC marvel over the Rimutakas.... Plus I can still buy virually any factory part delivered to my door in 3 days at modest prices AND it's actually worth more than your bike too despite being a lot older.... Yeah! Musta been a genuine moron....

dangerous
19th September 2005, 22:22
Elegance is entirely subjective...
As for the idiot.... I know you are young and in your lifetime Guzzi has become an eccentric brand but trust me. There is more to them in terms of logic and common sense than most people give them credit for.. In fact, the idiot was building world championship winning motorcycles that Yamaha has yet to even consider attempting while your lot were still figuring out pianos. Even now, in a straight race, I'd probably back my shitty old 'inelegant' push rod Moto Guzzi against your modern OHC marvel over the Rimutakas.... Plus I can still buy virually any factory part delivered to my door in 3 days at modest prices AND it's actually worth more than your bike too despite being a lot older.... Yeah! Musta been a genuine moron....
Paul...... that is just like reading poetry, mate your awesome
Waylander...... are you forgeting that Honda coppied the Guzzi in 78 with the CX500 :moon:

Roks... welcome to KB I never knew there was a 250 Intruder that would be my pic or one beter.... the VTR250

scumdog
19th September 2005, 22:41
And when you follow one from behind, they do look like a H-D but at a fraction of the price :banana:

And a fraction of the charisma, sound, performance but twice the reliability!Or so they say!!

scumdog
19th September 2005, 22:44
Waylander...... are you forgeting that Honda coppied the Guzzi in 78 with the CX500 :moon:

Yeah, that would be the Honda-Guzzi model eh?

Waylander
19th September 2005, 22:44
And a fraction of the charisma, sound, performance but twice the reliability!Or so they say!!
Charisma should be more dependant on the rider anyway, and the Virago can get just as loud if not louder than a harley if you get the right pipes. Performance, don't know about you but I've never heard of a Virago falling apart due to the engine vibrations. The rest of your post is true though:wari:

scumdog
19th September 2005, 22:55
Performance, don't know about you but I've never heard of a Virago falling apart due to the engine vibrations. The rest of your post is true though:wari:
Give 'em time. give 'em time!!

Never had a Harley 'fall apart' due to engine vibration though!!

Nyloc nuts and Loc-tite does the trick!

And rubber mounted Sporty's are an oxymoron.

SARGE
19th September 2005, 23:08
Virago - A noisy or scolding or domineering woman. Comes from latin vir which is related to virile.

SARGE
19th September 2005, 23:14
Charisma should be more dependant on the rider anyway, and the Virago can get just as loud if not louder than a harley if you get the right pipes. Performance, don't know about you but I've never heard of a Virago falling apart due to the engine vibrations.:wari:

~~cough*bullshit*cough~~

Waylander... sorry man.. gotta call you on this one.. its not about decibles.. its about tone..beat... the way the "blub Blub blub" hits you in the gut.. love the Viragos man but HD's got the sound

p.s. FUCK THIS RAIN!!

scumdog
19th September 2005, 23:21
~~cough*bullshit*cough~~

Waylander... sorry man.. gotta call you on this one.. its not about decibles.. its about tone..beat... the way the "blub Blub blub" hits you in the gut.. love the Viragos man but HD's got the sound

p.s. FUCK THIS RAIN!!

Gotta back this man, it doesn't matter how LOUD the noise is, if it ain't a Harley it will NEVER sound like one!!

Nothing wrong with a loud Virago but NEVER fool yourself that it sounds like a Harley, O.K.?

Rashika
20th September 2005, 12:35
yeah Waylander man...

having had a virago for 10 years and loved it! And now a Buell ( a HD by another name ofcourse :innocent: ) i guess I'm lucky to have had one from each end of the spectrum.
But it aint a Harley by any means: a very nice copy, sounds cool, looks very similar (to untrained eyes), yes cheaper but it is a japa after all (Altho H-D are definately getting a lot more competitive in price now) ......but not a Harley by any means, and will not ever be one :)

having said that tho I still will always like them cos they are a good bike on their own merit, but they do have their own foibles....the well known noisy/annoying starter motor will always be one that sticks in my mind.

Each has its own pros and cons...In my mind (and that may only be in my mind!) they are both good bikes, just not the same by any means.

* And ofcourse i prob wanted a H-D when i bought the Virago, but simply could not afford it, so this was the best option for me

roks
21st September 2005, 21:24
well I've done it!! I ended up buying a Suzuki Marauder (GZ) which was for sale privately and literally right round the corner. A 2002 model,in superb condition. The guy bought it for his girlfriend, who rode it once, had too many revs up when she let out the clutch and she dropped it on the footpath. It has a tiny graze on the front guard. Woooohooo...pick it up tomorrow night :banana:

Paul in NZ
21st September 2005, 21:28
well I've done it!! I ended up buying a Suzuki Marauder (GZ) which was for sale privately and literally right round the corner. A 2002 model,in superb condition. The guy bought it for his girlfriend, who rode it once, had too many revs up when she let out the clutch and she dropped it on the footpath. It has a tiny graze on the front guard. Woooohooo...pick it up tomorrow night :banana:

Well done that woman....

Take it easy and gently and build up your confidence gradually... Above all... ENJOY!

Waylander
21st September 2005, 21:28
Congrats, Should have gotten the Virago... Lol nah J/K. ENjoy it.

Virago
21st September 2005, 21:35
Hey, well done! I thought the price on that GZ would be too tempting. Don't worry, it may not be a Virago but we'll still speak to you! :D

(Edit) I'll be in Ch-ch myself tomorrow night, shame I'll be in the cage!

dangerous
21st September 2005, 21:37
well I've done it!! I ended up buying a Suzuki Marauder
Congrads..... that woulda been my choice too, post a pic up and see ya on the rd some time aye :wari:

roks
21st September 2005, 21:39
Hey but at least my offer of 3.5K was accepted for the Virago...so if anyone is looking there is one in Dunners. By the way...I got the GZ for $2800. *sings* I'm so excited...and I just can't hide it.... :wari:

Rashika
22nd September 2005, 11:51
Hey but at least my offer of 3.5K was accepted for the Virago...so if anyone is looking there is one in Dunners. By the way...I got the GZ for $2800. *sings* I'm so excited...and I just can't hide it.... :wari:

damn good girl
ahhh .....so you'll be wanting to get out and ride it this weekend huh????

:D

outlawtorn
22nd September 2005, 11:56
Congrats Roks, the GZ is a good bike, I rode one for a year before getting my Volusia. Have many safe miles on it!!

el milanes
22nd September 2005, 16:05
The EL doesn't struggle. I reckon it'll do 150+ on the flat with no headwind.

Well, I can't say I've reached that speed, but at 130kph I was on 9000rpm. And since the red line is at 14000....
That engine is the same as the Ninja 250 and it's great fun! as far as you keep it over 8000rpm

crashe
22nd September 2005, 16:15
Roks - Congratulations on the new bike...
Ride safe.

Oh well maybe your next bike will be a Virago....

roks
22nd September 2005, 17:08
Well I'm not too sure about that....I'm off for a business conference but my partner's guzzi is not going too well at the moment, he may well take the Suzuki to it's first rally...I told himto make sure it's clean before I get home :scooter:

dangerous
22nd September 2005, 17:13
Well I'm not too sure about that....I'm off for a business conference but my partner's guzzi is not going too well at the moment, he may well take the Suzuki to it's first rally
HEY..... who said Guzzi??? what does he have I love Guzzi had a 97 1100i Sport (see profile pic)... wana nother one now, so spil what is it and why is it not running too well..... cos I dont believe that :blip:

Scorpygirl
22nd September 2005, 18:34
Well done Roks and happy biking. :msn-wink:

roks
22nd September 2005, 22:22
HEY..... who said Guzzi??? what does he have I love Guzzi had a 97 1100i Sport (see profile pic)... wana nother one now, so spil what is it and why is it not running too well..... cos I dont believe that :blip:

He has a le mans 1100 and it's absorbed lots of money since he's had it. Now it's some thermal problem and starts cutting outwhen it gets hot. I can count the times on one hand we've gone out on it and he's been pleased with her behaviour. The guzzi is by the suzuki's side tonight in the garage....I hope she doesn't fill my bike's head with wicked thoughts :blink:

Rashika
23rd September 2005, 08:41
The guzzi is by the suzuki's side tonight in the garage....I hope she doesn't fill my bike's head with wicked thoughts :blink:

hmmm... yeah those bloody EYE-talians can be wicked little buggers :msn-wink:
get the poor wee innocents into all sorts of mischief!

dangerous
23rd September 2005, 16:04
He has a le mans 1100 and it's absorbed lots of money since he's had it. Now it's some thermal problem and starts cutting outwhen it gets hot. I can count the times on one hand we've gone out on it and he's been pleased with her behaviour. The guzzi is by the suzuki's side tonight in the garage....I hope she doesn't fill my bike's head with wicked thoughts :blink:
Awesome....... what colour? I am looking at one next time around, but would prefure one that has been sorted, I'm suprised hes had so much trouble My 1100 Sport never had any probs apart from needing the relays replaced every 6 months. :Punk:
You guys doing the Guzzi rally?

PS: this site helped me in a big way. http://morini.com.au/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=6d6839acb14eaca563046fdeabf57883

roks
24th September 2005, 17:13
Awesome....... what colour? I am looking at one next time around, but would prefure one that has been sorted, I'm suprised hes had so much trouble My 1100 Sport never had any probs apart from needing the relays replaced every 6 months. :Punk:
You guys doing the Guzzi rally?

PS: this site helped me in a big way. http://morini.com.au/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=6d6839acb14eaca563046fdeabf57883

she's "the black bitch" although she has been called far worse names than that. To be honest I think my other half almost enjoys problems, gives him an excuse to have bits all over the garage floor! Thanks for the link to that site, I will pass it on to him...where is the guzzi rally this year?? :ride:

dangerous
24th September 2005, 19:49
where is the guzzi rally this year?? :ride:
Otematata, down central lakes way, Labour w/e.
I have been to the last 2 in the south Is, great people hers the V11 Nero Corsa, I'd kill for it....... none in NZ tho :doh: