Right Charlie
19th September 2005, 17:24
I have had the follow threat from Paypal USA

Please send full payment to PayPal within one week of this letter by adding
funds to your PayPal account according to the instructions below. If we do not
receive payment, we will be entitled to file a lawsuit against you for
collection of the debt. It is also possible that we will refer the matter to an
independent collection agency so that they may pursue the debt on our behalf

How much substance does it hold? if i never travel to the USA...

Amount owing is US$724 due to a trade that went sour.

digsaw
19th September 2005, 17:32
Are you sure this came from Paypal,go to paypal site trough ebay an check your account,for real be sure you are on paypal site.If this request came by email i would not trust it,go check your account

bumsex
19th September 2005, 17:42
Yeah mate be careful: there are some dodgy buggers around.

Rainbow Wizard
19th September 2005, 17:53
I have had....threat from Paypal USA. How much substance does it hold? if i never travel to the USA...Amount owing is US$724 due to a trade that went sour.
Insufficient info to formulate answer. Sounds like you agreed to buy but didn't fwd funds, if so PayPal may have been forced to pay the vendor and if so they would be out of pocket. PayPal's a division of Ebay so lack of co-operation could queer your pitch for them (name, email addy etc) and even if US$724 is within their "write-off" criteria the debt could have an effect well into the future. BUT, it's a civil matter highly unlikely? to show up on immigration files....until you want to leave the States??????

But don't place any store on our answers, I suggest any genuine quest for advice is best directed towards a lawyer.

TwoSeven
19th September 2005, 18:27
I'm no legal person so the following is just my opinion.

In general you'll get a notification of your account being out of date. You should log in to verify it - do not click on links in the email - go to the website via your normal bookmark. Its a safety precaution for phishing attacks.

It is possible for them to recover debt thru the normall debt collection agencies in NZ as far as I know (baycorp) - there is no reason why they shouldnt be able to. What they actually do is up to them.

Right Charlie
19th September 2005, 18:56
First up i am in new zealand, so US immigration shouldnt bother me...

It was somthing i sold on Ebay USA. I got the money, sent the item, then 3 days later i was told that the payment i received was from a suspect Credit card and the funds had been frozen.

Anyway, a month or so later and they returned the funds to the Credit Card, left me in the Red, without the item i sent. And yes i have gone to paypal.com not clicked on links in the email...

El Dopa
19th September 2005, 19:24
I got the money, sent the item, then 3 days later i was told that the payment i received was from a suspect Credit card and the funds had been frozen.

Anyway, a month or so later and they returned the funds to the Credit Card, left me in the Red, without the item i sent. And yes i have gone to paypal.com not clicked on links in the email...

Then you should tell them to go fuck themselves. it sounds to me like they're out of pocket, and are going for the softest target (you), in order to recoup their loss.

You acted in good faith. I assume the card was either stolen and used before cancellation, or used after cancellation. The responsibility should be that of the credit card owner or the credit card company, and they should fight it out between themselves without involving you.

However, this being the US, and having some very odd wrinkles in their credit law, you should probably consult a US lawyer for a definitive answer. That may well end up costing you a lot more than $700.

I suggest a polite reply to paypal in the first instance, outlining why it isn't your responsibility, and asking them to point you to the appropriate statute.

Quasievil
19th September 2005, 19:26
I have had the follow threat from Paypal USA

How much substance does it hold? if i never travel to the USA...

Amount owing is US$724 due to a trade that went sour.

They can do you via a law frim here in NZ, Pay up :baby:

froggyfrenchman
19th September 2005, 20:17
Be careful, hope it all works out for you

TLDV8
19th September 2005, 20:21
First up i am in new zealand, so US immigration shouldnt bother me...

It was somthing i sold on Ebay USA. I got the money, sent the item, then 3 days later i was told that the payment i received was from a suspect Credit card and the funds had been frozen.

I must be having a senior moment?... you sold something,sent the item,paypal froze your account so you didn't get the payment and they want you to pay them plus no payment for the sold item ????????????..if that is close,how did the buyer pay with a non verified Credit card with a paypal payment (verses a credit card payment but not via a paypal account?
>
..and of course there is little comeback for us with non confirmed address's as far as paypal is concerned.
>
The best advice on this is probably on one of the many Ebay forums (fwiw)

Patrick
19th September 2005, 20:23
Can't see how they could go you...you acted in good faith...THEY accepted payment with a dodgy card and paid you out. You forwarded the goods. I take you are not out of pocket? THEY are the ones with the problem on accepting the payment. THEY paid you out. They froze funds? (Already paid you out though?) THEIR loss, not yours. They need to go the person who the goods were forwarded to, not you. That person is the one on the wrong side of the law, not you. (At an edumicateded gess....)

El Dopa
19th September 2005, 20:38
Can't see how they could go you...you acted in good faith...THEY accepted payment with a dodgy card and paid you out. You forwarded the goods. I take you are not out of pocket? THEY are the ones with the problem on accepting the payment. THEY paid you out. They froze funds? (Already paid you out though?) THEIR loss, not yours. They need to go the person who the goods were forwarded to, not you. That person is the one on the wrong side of the law, not you. (At an edumicateded gess....)

'Zactly my point. If he wasn't an indvidual, but was a trading entitity - Right Charlie, inc. - Would they be going after him? Don't think so.

It was Paypals responsibility to check the legitimacy of the card before releasing payment. Tough shit if they didn't.

Sniper
20th September 2005, 08:33
You have to be careful mate. Paypal is a big orginasion and they have links everywhere. DON'T fall into the trap of thinking they can't get you because you are in NZ. Good luck though