PDA

View Full Version : Licencing an older motorbike with no proof (VIN numbers, serials gone etc)?

jonathon259
23rd March 2015, 16:38
Hi team,

I have a Yamaha YB100 i'm keen to get back on the road and want to re register. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience registering a motorcycle with no proof on the frame of it's age etc? Particulary in ensuring that it falls into the vintage motorcycle costing. Cheers

haydes55
23rd March 2015, 16:47
have you got any paper work with the bike? details of previous number plate? previous owners? proof you own it?

mossy1200
23rd March 2015, 18:12
You need find documentation of the period of production and have a classic car club confirm your findings. At least these were the conditions a while ago when I looked at getting an old bike that was made prior to indicators being standard equipment.

It was about 10 years ago when I enquired so things may have changed a bit.

jonathon259
24th March 2015, 08:54
have you got any paper work with the bike? details of previous number plate? previous owners? proof you own it?

I have a certificate from the police saying it isnt stolen but thats about it, and a receipt from the previous owner.

Mike.Gayner
24th March 2015, 12:18
As above, the first thing you need to do is prove that it is what you say it is. Do some research and find some info to prove its age using the frame number, identifying details/paint colours etc. You might then need to take this information to the vintage car club, who can issue a certificate of authenticity. If you have to do this, it'll cost you about $100.

Then you need to prove you own it. Because there's no rego history, you will need to do this by visiting your local JP and signing a statutory declaration that you own the vehicle, using wording similar to: "I make this solemn declaration conscientiously declaring the same to be true and by virtue of the Oaths and Declarations Act 1957".

Ask around where you live and find the oldest motorcycle-loving VTNZ agent and take your paper work to him. They'll do the rest.

https://a7avenger.wordpress.com/2014/06/09/re-registering-a-vehicle-in-new-zealand/

neels
24th March 2015, 12:40
This might help identify what it is....

https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/yamaha-parts/yamaha-model-prefix-motorcycles-1970-1994.aspx

I went through this process a while back, only had a receipt for purchase and police declaration.

After that it was certified as being what it claimed to be by the local vintage car club, then off to the VTNZ shop for inspection, revinning and WOF and job done.

Start by talking to the VTNZ people and see what they need before you take the thing to them.

rastuscat
25th March 2015, 09:40
This might help identify what it is....

https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/yamaha-parts/yamaha-model-prefix-motorcycles-1970-1994.aspx

I went through this process a while back, only had a receipt for purchase and police declaration.

After that it was certified as being what it claimed to be by the local vintage car club, then off to the VTNZ shop for inspection, revinning and WOF and job done.

Start by talking to the VTNZ people and see what they need before you take the thing to them.

Sage advice. Getting advice on KB has limited if amusing value.