PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha R1 2007

aprilia_RS250
2nd April 2015, 09:09
My R1 recently developed a "knock" every time the throttle is applied. I only rode ~1km after I noticed the knock, tried to coast it as much as I could. My heart sank when I heard it.

I am not a mechanic or know anything about rebuilding engines etc. But it sounds like this is a spun rod bearing (not the CCT or valves), which means a &*() load of money needs to be spent to take the engine out open, inspect, assess all damaged components, get a part list etc etc. I was given a rough estimate to expect potentially ~2-3k in parts, ~1-2k labour.

Bike as it "was" I think fair price would have been ~10k, she has been meticulously maintained. ~43,000km, constantly serviced, I really looked after.

I can't afford the labour and parts quoted above, even if I was lucky in terms of total damage. I could only put in $1k towards fixing her right now! To Save up ~5k would take me 6 months....

Seems I may have to sell her. What salvage value could I get? I've seen write offs sold by insurance companies go up to 4k on TM auctions. Should I do this?

Anyone have ideas or suggestions apart from selling her? I could ask the folks or my bank manager (he might laugh though) for bit more money but this would really stretch me and I really don't like being in debt and not knowing what the total cost may be. Has a lot of sentimental value to me, took me 2 years to save up to get her. I paid 15k in 2011 to nab her, she had only 4000km on clock and never skipped a beat until a week ago :weep::weep::weep:

jellywrestler
2nd April 2015, 10:03
where are you?

aprilia_RS250
2nd April 2015, 11:21
where are you?

Located in Auckland.......

SVboy
2nd April 2015, 14:02
Get it assessed by a mechanic you trust before making a decision. If it needs a teardown-save heaps by getting the motor out and putting it back in. Find out the parts it needs-buy from overseas and save heaps.

Ender EnZed
2nd April 2015, 14:19
That's a pretty shitty situation.

I'd start by getting the numbers you need to do the maths on the options available to you. You could save up to fix it. You could sell it and then save up for something similar. You could sell it and then immediately spend what you've got (probably not much) on a much lesser bike, then save for what you really want.

I imagine you'll find that catching the bus for x months while you save to fix it will be the quickest way back to a ~$10k bike.

Or park it in the middle of town overnight.

Danger Dave
2nd April 2015, 14:30
I'll buy it pm if you want to discuss a price.

EJK
2nd April 2015, 16:24
Push it into harbour and don't brag about it on Facebook.

http://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/223648/fraudster-posts-crime-facebook