PDA

View Full Version : I can't do it! They are just old, not in pain?

Waihou Thumper
3rd April 2015, 13:44
Maybe I am a selfish uncaring bastard.......
Dog lovers, anyone, give me some advice please.....

Sallie and Sabre have been with me for nearly 12 years....(German Shepherds Brother and Sister...)
On advice from onlookers, kennel and me Mum, they said maybe it is time.....
I have booked them into the vets tomorrow morning for their last journey down the road.
I shall be bringing home the collars and leads, that's it. :(

Today was spent together and at present, both are sedately sleeping and slumbered on a leather couch and lazy boy.
I have given them a nice cooked roast from last night and biscuits and just looking at them, makes me think Nope, not ready for this!

Although they are both showing signs of Hip Dysplasia and other factors, they eat well, sleep well, and seem pretty happy, BUT, I ain't a dog and if they could talk maybe they might say, enough Dad! Maybe I can spend the $500 odd differently. Instead of Pentobarbital and Cremation, some drugs and flea treatment/worming and antibiotics for whatever?

So, I will have a restless sleep and tomorrow morning will be the test, yes or no.

310426 310427Sallie and Sabre approximately four years ago...

Paul in NZ
3rd April 2015, 13:55
No ones ever ready for it... I still shed tears for dogs that have blessed us with their love in the past... But I don't regret easing their passing either. One we waited too long because we were being selfish and couldn't face it... It was the wrong thing to put it off.... aw crap - I'm tearing up just thinking about it... I really miss that old mutt....

Its really the only thing you can do now.... Feel for you...

Murray
3rd April 2015, 13:55
They are eating well, sleeping well, seem ok, - don't do it. Or should I say I don't think I could or would do it.

Ive done it twice with only one dog at a time and I really feel for you with the two of them.

Katman
3rd April 2015, 13:58
BUT, I ain't a dog and if they could talk maybe they might say, enough Dad!

I doubt very much they would say that.

Unless they are in pain I think they would far prefer to still be with you.

Stirts
3rd April 2015, 14:00
Hmmmmm if it were me in your shoes, I wouldn't. You say they are eating well and sleeping well and seem happy, and in my experience with dogs, and cats fot that matter, not eating can be the first sign that all is not right in their world.

From your post you don't state that you sought advice from a vet...that would be one and only advice I would ensure I seek out before making that decision.

Waihou Thumper
3rd April 2015, 14:01
Weak in the hind quarters, muscle atrophy, and sometimes Sallie loses her balance but that's because she tries too hard to scratch on the odd occasion...
Sabre has a lesion in the right chest, Sallie has a large growth on the right off foot, but I have never really worried about either, just old age....like me.
I have the odd lump in some places....:) Not the 'it matters places...' must be checked....:)

Katman
3rd April 2015, 14:03
We have an older dog who is visibly slowly down and showing signs of not having much life left ahead of him.

I won't be pre-empting his demise unless he begins to show clear signs of suffering.

Waihou Thumper
3rd April 2015, 14:04
Hmmmmm if it were me in your shoes, I wouldn't. You say they are eating well and sleeping well and seem happy, and in my experience with dogs, and cats fot that matter, not eating can be the first sign that all is not right in their world.

From your post you don't state that you sought advice from a vet...that would be one and only advice I would ensure I seek out before making that decision.

Yes, you are right, I haven't but they do know them. They are drinking large quantities of water, so that tells me something might not be right on the inside.
Sallie also has a heart murmur..

blue rider
3rd April 2015, 14:23
don't go there.

if they eat, sleep, poop and are generally happy then I would just go and do an old dog check up with the vet.

My black lab, diabetic and strong willed Misty just passed away with over 15 years to her name, and the golden retriever Zac is still dogging it at 20 years of age. With him we are in the stages of preparing us to say good bye, but as long as he eats, sleeps, poops and is happy we are not rushing it.

Katman
3rd April 2015, 14:24
.....and the golden retriever Zac is still dogging it at 20 years of age.

Wow, that's a good innings.

Waihou Thumper
3rd April 2015, 14:27
don't go there.

if they eat, sleep, poop and are generally happy then I would just go and do an old dog check up with the vet.

My black lab, diabetic and strong willed Misty just passed away with over 15 years to her name, and the golden retriever Zac is still dogging it at 20 years of age. With him we are in the stages of preparing us to say good bye, but as long as he eats, sleeps, poops and is happy we are not rushing it.

Thank you and congratulations on Zac! :)
I think I might take them to the estuary tomorrow morning earl and let them play and swim, then assess....

awa355
3rd April 2015, 15:14
We put the old Lab down on a Monday and the 14yr old cat the next. Was damn hard, but I knew it was the right thing to do, afterwards. The vet came to the house, the lab lay down with her head on the wife's lap and looked at her. She was ready to go. I had gone out while this happened. Did it once before and I just couldn't be there this time.

I knew it was for the best but that doesn't help with the doubts. The doubts will go away in a few days and you will feel a lot more settled afterwards.

Katman
3rd April 2015, 15:26
We got the vet out to our house to put down our first dog.

It was a decision made only after a week of him not eating (but drinking normally) and slowly getting weaker before our eyes.

I wasn't prepared to allow him to starve to death.

It was the hardest decision I have ever made but it was not one made prematurely.

That was the only thing I had to feel thankful for that day.

PrincessBandit
3rd April 2015, 15:27
FWIW I'm with shirts and blue rider on this. Please don't preempt- for their sake and yours.

Waihou Thumper
3rd April 2015, 15:37
FWIW I'm with shirts and blue rider on this. Please don't preempt- for their sake and yours.

Thank you. This thread and talking to you guys has given me strength. I was full of anxiety, stress and worry all of yesterday and today until now.
After hearing your stories and concerns and most of all wise wisdom, I feel a lot better.

For what it is worth, I can look both of them in the eyes now and say we are going to the doctor tomorrow for a visit!
Afterwards we will go for a swim and a run.....:) I do have to heed what the Vet recommends though. Preparing myself for the good and bad.
Mind you, they are probably in better nic than Dad ...:)

Katman
3rd April 2015, 15:42
[/I]

They usually are.

badlieutenant
3rd April 2015, 15:47
its a tough call, our 19+ year old bossy cat is getting short on time we suspect. When she stops eating, pooing, telling us off and looks to be in any sort of discomfort that isn't a temporary issue we will be sending her on her way.
Its bloody hard letting go of a good mate. Loyalty can be a curse.
On the plus side (from a pets perspective) they have a continuous relationship with you their whole lives. Generally their owners don't die before them. So for them, as they get older and more vulnerable, there is always the routine and security they know. We don't get that luxury.
Good luck with making your decision, but I would get a vet to have a look first.

PrincessBandit
3rd April 2015, 16:00
... I was full of anxiety, stress and worry all of yesterday and today until now.
After hearing your stories and concerns and most of all wise wisdom, I feel a lot better.

For what it is worth, I can look both of them in the eyes now and say we are going to the doctor tomorrow for a visit! ...
I do have to heed what the Vet recommends though. Preparing myself for the good and bad.

This is one of the things I like about kb. When we can support and help each other - regardless of whether or not someone takes suggestions on board - it's a nice feeling.
All the best for tomorrow, and while you are open minded you don't have to expect the worst. As you said, you don't have to do what the vet says. They are professional,yes, but cannot force you to do what they recommend.

Dogboy900
3rd April 2015, 16:08
It is the hardest thing about owning pets. Like most on here I suggest that if they eat OK, can still get around, and seem happy, maybe that day is not here yet.

When the day does come I suggest you do your best to be there for the whole thing. Tough on you, but better for your pet to go with your touch rather than a strangers hands being the last thing they feel. Most vets will be pretty sympathetic and give you some time with your pet afterwards. They gave me a quiet corner to cry in with my baby and respect afterwards. (I now have one of our dogs giving me some love because writing this is making me cry)

I hope your visit tomorrow goes well.

Akzle
3rd April 2015, 16:11
dude that sucks.

i couldn't do it that way, and if they're not suffering daily then i couldn't get it done any way.

me mum's bitch just stopped one night. had problems, but was happy enough to the end of it.

knew a guy who paid for the needle for his, wrecked him for days.

i'll shoot them for you, if they need to go...

...but i'd leave that choice to a higher, wiser power.

Waihou Thumper
3rd April 2015, 16:18
dude that sucks.

i couldn't do it that way, and if they're not suffering daily then i couldn't get it done any way.

me mum's bitch just stopped one night. had problems, but was happy enough to the end of it.

knew a guy who paid for the needle for his, wrecked him for days.

i'll shoot them for you, if they need to go...

...but i'd leave that choice to a higher, wiser power.

Much respect, thanks....:)

IkieBikie
3rd April 2015, 16:51
Put down ikie (my avatar) just over a year ago and still brings a tear to my eye just writing this. Vet gave us medicine but she didnt improve, one of the saddest weeks of our (me and hubbys) life watching her fight.

Still she knew it was time and went into hiding, stopped eating, couldnt control herself. We knew when we had to have it done but actually wish the vet didnt give us false hopes and probably prolong her suffering an extra 3 days, miserable for us and her.

Anyway what I am saying is it will be your decision when you think enough is enough and I think you knowing them for so long you will recognise when they have reached the point (our vet didn't) and while they are eating, sleeping moving and happy they will be fine (I think thirst is generally a liver problem and may not necessarily be a painful problem)

It hurts and I feel for you and wish you happiness with them (hopefully for some time yet)

Tazz
3rd April 2015, 17:57
Family cat just got put down yesterday and is quietly awaiting a trip to Akaroa to be buried next to its kin.

Pretty sad times but death is a fact of life. Usually not a cat fan but one that brings home rabbits to show you before actually eating it and not just leaving it there is hard not to love. Also chirped rather than meowing, crazy thing.

Good luck with the dogs man. Some people hang on way too long to pets that are not enjoying life at all, eating or not, for their own benefit rather than their pets...

Trade_nancy
3rd April 2015, 18:16
Leave them be. Please.
Our 15 yr old Golden Retriever Jenn - went down with hip disp back in 2005. Dragged her arse end around without much dignity and my wife said - it's time. I said no..6 more months and let's love her all we can and give her that last shot. We carried her from inside the house to the outside verandah so she could either sleep warm or cool - or crap. We had to bathe her to get the stench or dog urine from her coat - she had to pee and shit while lying down on the verandah. Seven months later one night in our lounge as she dragged herself along she crapped herself on our floor. Missus said - now? I said OK? Next night after a tearful visit from the vet we buried Jenn in our garden. Still talk to her as I mow the lawns. Boy I am I EVER glad I gave her more time.

ruaphu
3rd April 2015, 18:34
Thank you. This thread and talking to you guys has given me strength. I was full of anxiety, stress and worry all of yesterday and today until now.

For what it is worth, I can look both of them in the eyes now and say we are going to the doctor tomorrow for a visit!
Afterwards we will go for a swim and a run.....:) I do have to heed what the Vet recommends though. Preparing myself for the good and bad.

Good call call WT. All the best with the visit, will keep fingers crossed it bodes well for ya and get more time with your two bestest buddies.

Pets, the only family ya get to choose and by god they are typically the best family one could have.

Take care eh WT,

Ando

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robbo
3rd April 2015, 19:04
I don't envy you WT as it's a hard call. I know as I've been there and done it myself. At the end of the day you have to put your emotions aside for a while and do what is best for your pets wellbeing and quality of life. You need to discuss this with your Vet as his opinion will help you with your decision. Should they end up being put down it will be a sad day for you but time is a great healer and thinking and remembering about all those good times you shared with them and all the pleasure they brought into your lives will help you through it. Good luck with what ever the outcome is.

Swoop
3rd April 2015, 19:33
The family pooch was rather ragged. Eyes clouding over, sores and struggling to get up (most certainly in the mornings).

The vet prescribed several medications, including minor pain killers. Things became worse physically.

She still had love in her eyes and I her heart. Happy to greet me when returning home at the end of the day. Struggling to get back up the stairs, but happy to accept my suggestion of having a bit of a rest half way up, then continuing to the top.

Things were looking rather grim, up to the day the medications were thrown in to the bin. An improvement was seen, and we saw another six months of happiness with her.

The point did come when reality had to be accepted. Fifteen years was a great innings with a totally loving dog that was rescued from the pound.

Flip
3rd April 2015, 20:22
You will know when its time. It doesent sound like it is now from your comments.

mashman
3rd April 2015, 20:36
Each of ours was buried under a tree. Gladly I never had to dig the great danes Max's resting place. There aren't many people more qualified than you to make the decision. Won't make it any easier, but it might.

madbikeboy
3rd April 2015, 21:04
It's not time - they're both eating and drinking. 12 isn't all that old. Please don't put them down. Please.

Genie
3rd April 2015, 22:53
Awful place to be in. Sorry for this night, it'll be a long one, I'd suppose.

You've known these two for years, they're your family. I was faced with the same choice many years ago, about this time of year. what settled it for me, was the fact another cold winter was coming and my boy would have suffered more with the cold. I'm comfortable with the decision I made, I set him free.

Your answer is perhaps in the title of this thread, you can't do it.

Maybe you need time, take the time and do what you need to do, when they tell you.

98tls
4th April 2015, 05:27
Hoping for a happy ending on this,mate it doesnt sound like there ready for the off by any means to me and hopefully it turns out that way at the vets.If it comes to the worst remember you ave given them a great life and in a world where many get treated very badly thats a wonderful thing good on you.All the best eh and as i say hoping for a happy ending.6.30 and here in Ommers its pissing down and am off on a walk with my Border Collie Sam...one of the not so pleasurable joys of dog ownership;) he could care less about the rain.

Akzle
4th April 2015, 06:27
he could care less about the rain.

given that it will be raining for about half your life, so should you!

PrincessBandit
4th April 2015, 09:00
Hoping for a happy ending on this,mate...If it comes to the worst remember you ave given them a great life and in a world where many get treated very badly thats a wonderful thing good on you.

I'm sure everyone here who cherishes their pets will agree with that sentiment.

Moi
4th April 2015, 11:32
Hey WT, just read your comment about your kids else where - that's great news for you and for them...

As others have wisely said, you'll know when it's time, they'll let you know -

meantime enjoy their companionship, go for a run, a swim, and roll in cow poo... [the kids, not you - you daft basket!]

98tls
4th April 2015, 12:03
Hey WT, just read your comment about your kids else where - that's great news for you and for them...

As others have wisely said, you'll know when it's time, they'll let you know -

meantime enjoy their companionship, go for a run, a swim, and roll in cow poo... [the kids, not you - you daft basket!]

I take it we have a happy ending then...if so great news.:clap:

bluninja
4th April 2015, 12:21
During my life I have had 3 dogs and 1 cat euthanized by the vet. On all but 1 occasion it was a release for all involved; that involved an 18 year almost deaf and blind spallie who would sometimes be cold and couldn't be roused on many mornings. One morning I thought she'd died; I picked her cold body up and carried her outside so the kids wouldn't see her. I went inside to get a bin liner and went out to put her in only to have her wag her tail and lift her head as I started to move her again. She's the only one I thought maybe I should have waited longer before the trip to the vet.

As many have said; consider the life you have given them, and the gifts they have given you in return. Removing them from lifelong pain and suffering is one of the gifts you can give when it's needed.

Murray
5th April 2015, 16:43
Totally agree with the last three words especially.

WT - Hope its good news and the anxiety has gone

Waihou Thumper
6th April 2015, 02:20
Totally agree with the last three words especially.

WT - Hope its good news and the anxiety has gone

Yes, that's why I am awake at 0219.....BUT, all good for a little while yet. Many thanks everyone. :)

Murray
11th May 2015, 21:11
Yes, that's why I am awake at 0219.....BUT, all good for a little while yet. Many thanks everyone. :)

Reading about the missing dog makes me think of yours

How are they - hope all is well!!!

Brett
11th May 2015, 22:45
Keep us up to date. I am suddenly very concerned about these two pooches. I know that I would/will cry like a big baby for a long time if I had to say farewell to my lovely Boxer girl. Funny how much dogs can mean to us...even when there are days she annoys me enough with her naughty antics to want to load the shotgun! Heaven knows I love that dog like a child!

Waihou Thumper
29th July 2015, 14:40
I thought I would keep everyone informed...
Sabre wasn't looking good this morning, his breath was laboured and it appears he had a heart attack.
I had both of the kids on the couch and quickly called the vet.
They came and were very professional.
Sallie and Sabre didn't suffer and when Sabre's heart stopped beating Sallie quickly turned and looked at him....Wow....

It was very difficult but for some strange reason I am also relieved.
Rest in peace kids. You are my best friends......

I would like to thank all who commented and were genuinely concerned, for that I am grateful.

Mark

98tls
29th July 2015, 14:48
Thoughts to you fella,be proud you gave them a wonderful home.:niceone:

Tazz
29th July 2015, 15:10
Bugger dude. R.I.P.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CTAud5O7Qqk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Moi
29th July 2015, 15:36
Thoughts with you...

When we lost our last cat, since replaced by a more impossible black and white tearaway, a friend spoke of the belief held by many that their pets will await them at the Pearly Gates... so guess you'll have a very warm, tali thumping welcome there one day...

Akzle
29th July 2015, 15:50
Thoughts with you...

When we lost our last cat, since replaced by a more impossible black and white tearaway, a friend spoke of the belief held by many that their pets will await them at the Pearly Gates... so guess you'll have a very warm, tali thumping welcome there one day...

dude, threads about dogs. Friendly, sociable, companion animals.

Fuckaway with that cat shit. Cats are assholes.

Murray
29th July 2015, 16:19
Rest in peace kids. You are my best friends......
Mark[/I]

And the memories will ensure this forever - still think of and talk of my much loved dog 25 years on.

Take care

Banditbandit
29th July 2015, 17:00
Thoughts are with you. Always a sad day when it happens.

Banditbandit
29th July 2015, 17:02
Fuckaway with that cat shit. Cats are assholes.

Dogs are authoritarians - cats are anachists ...

http://www.fartinvite.com/lolz/80dfecab7482ccf91af04a1e352c9a07369b873a.jpg

Stirts
29th July 2015, 17:31
Your heart must be hurting. But all the memories you have will ease the hurt eventually.

caseye
29th July 2015, 19:30
I think everyone here just breathed a sigh of relief, you and those two mutleys got another nearly 1/2 a year of living and experiencing each others best and worst.
Well done Thumper, you looked after your kids the best way possible.
There was no hesitation you knew and you did what had to be done.
Much Aroha mate.
my guys and girls of the canine variety have all passed through my life years ago now, but to see what you wrote way back in April and to see your post tonight, you've made me glad of all the great times I was able to give my friends/kids,dogs is too simple a term really.
Remember the good times and who knows one day you just might do it all again.

awa355
31st July 2015, 06:53
A lot of us have been through this. Only now that you realize how much of themselves they gave to you.