PDA

View Full Version : Road works priorities

Hitcher
29th January 2004, 11:30
I was just sitting here looking out my office window at the resealing work currently happening on The Terrace, where the boys are busy disrupting traffic and putting new hot-mix over perfectly good old hot-mix, when I thought "I know some zig-zags at the top of the Desert Road that would benefit more from new hot-mix than here!"

I am constantly boggled by where taxpayers' money is spent -- and not spent -- on roading "improvements".

Don't you just love the "cheese-slicer" median barrier on the Haywards Hill?? Obviously a biker wasn't involved in that decision. The off-camber corners and slippery surface make this a death sentence just waiting to happen for some unfortunate biker.

And then there's McKay's Crossing... Rail barrier arms on what must be one of NZ's busiest roads. Surely a culvert or a bridge wouldn't cost THAT much... And would have cost a lot less 30 years ago...

[Hobby horses exercised. Feel better now...]

riffer
29th January 2004, 12:02
Totally agree Hitcher. Over the holidays they resurfaced McLean Street in Wallaceville (next to the railway line) around from my house.

Of course in the hot weather it got really sticky and the local hoons have been roaring up and down at well over 100km/h (its a 50km/h road) in various V8's and now they've ripped the shit out of the road to the point where I just won't ride down there now.

I'm seriously considering putting some bricks on the road now I'm getting so sick of it :devil2: .

As for Haywards I don't find it too bad mostly. Although those chees cutters sure look dodgy if you're going just a bit too fast.

My biggest problem with that road at present is right at the bottom (Hutt Valley side) where the trucks have been dragging gravel from the side streets onto the road - I've been caught out a couple of times lately. But then again with my using the gearbox instead of the brakes I tend to lock the wheel a bit down that bit anyway. :whistle:

Anyway, where do you reckon its most slippery on the hill - I'll watch out for it!

Hitcher
29th January 2004, 12:12
Anyway, where do you reckon its most slippery on the hill - I'll watch out for it!
I don't like the right-hand sweeper at the top (going towards Porirua). It's better now with the new seal, but I had a fright up there once and find it a bit disconcerting. I don't mind coming down Haywards but don't like going up (unusual because I generally LOVE uphill corners). I too have had a couple of "moments" on the gravel of which you speak [testicles retract]

DeanOh
29th January 2004, 12:34
I was told once from someone that works for the council that they have to spend all of the allocated budget, if they dont, then they may get less money next year. so somebody goes around and chooses places to do "anything". hence resurfacing a perfectly good surface.

Im not sure the cheese slicer on haywards hill is going to stop a car or a truck bouncing over it and into oncoming traffic. Still.. Im guessing that some engineer somewhere has tested this device thouroughly, and it works, maybe.
I wouldnt like to hit it, cheese slicer is a good description of it!!! :confused:

Ms Piggy
29th January 2004, 13:49
I was told once from someone that works for the council that they have to spend all of the allocated budget, if they dont, then they may get less money next year. so somebody goes around and chooses places to do "anything". hence resurfacing a perfectly good surface.

Yep that's right. I used to work for City Council in Oamaru - that's why there is such a road works frenzy near the end of every financial year. :doh:

SPman
29th January 2004, 19:15
I believe they tried cheese cutters ( or should that be Bacon slicers) at a race track somewhere and got rid of them real quick! Dangerous for cars as well!

wkid_one
29th January 2004, 19:24

Im not sure the cheese slicer on haywards hill is going to stop a car or a truck bouncing over it and into oncoming traffic. Still.. Im guessing that some engineer somewhere has tested this device thouroughly, and it works, maybe.
I wouldnt like to hit it, cheese slicer is a good description of it!!! :confused: Watched the footage on the testing and development of the wire median barrier and it does a hell wicked job of keeping a car on the right side of the road. I question the effects it would have on a truck or bike rider however.

As for resurfacing roads - this is just a fact of life you have to contend with. All the roads are generally on a roster of some desciption anyway. Plus - you then have other issues like services which need servicing/updating/repair.

Whilst they do try to 'spend their budget' rest assured - they could spend shit loads more than they do - so they don't go looking for 'anything' they have a priority roster and just pick them from there.

Be warned - they are going to be digging the road up by the Silverstream Bridge shortly also - and this is a BIG job.

riffer
30th January 2004, 07:41
Oh no - and get rid of the little woopdedoos going south from River Road - that's the highlight of my morning ride!!!