PDA

View Full Version : Icon Stryker vest chest or back protector advice

nerrrd
7th April 2015, 23:42
Bought one of these recently from fc-moto.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-field-armor-stryker-vest

Thought I thoroughly checked the sizing beforehand and got an L/XL based on the chest measurement listed; when I got it there was another measurement on the label (which I swear wasn't listed anywhere else) specifying that the max measurement from shoulder to waist should be 460mm (mine is around 540mm.)

Never worn a separate chest or back protector before so I'm not sure how much coverage to expect - with the shoulder straps on max the chest protector pretty much covers my sternum, while the back runs from mid shoulder blade to a couple of inches above my butt crack.

Just wondered if anyone in the know thinks it's worth hanging on to or whether I should flick it on and look at getting something bigger. Cheers!

Gremlin
8th April 2015, 00:14
The product shots are sans model, but back protectors can vary in shape and level of protection.

For example, I have a Knox Aegis back protector, similar to this pic: http://foto.scigacz.pl/gallery/akcesoria/Knox_AEGIS_8_Plate_Race/Knox_AEGIS_8_Plate_Race.jpg

I can't remember how many plates mine is, but the race version was longer with more protection for sternum, offering more protection, but perhaps not that popular for street. You could have somewhere around 7-9 plates depending on size, then race/regular as well. Personally, I went for maximum protection, but it's also expected that racers would be in a crouch, road riders more upright, and a longer back protector is more likely to hit the seat and try to ride up the more upright you sit. The picture gives a rough idea of how much coverage there is, compare to yours.

It sounds like yours might be a little long. I would probably suggest putting all the gear on, sit on the bike in your most upright position and see if the back protector is being forced up as the bottom is on the seat. If there is no issue, then I figure more protection is better than less :yes:

iaingsx1300r
8th April 2015, 08:56
Guys, Gotta ask the question on whether these are seen as a necessary bit of kit. My Rev'it jacket has a foam back pad which offers limited protection so should a back protector be used to beef it up? Who amongst you uses one of these on a road bike and are they uncomfortable in any way??

pritch
8th April 2015, 09:48
Guys, Gotta ask the question on whether these are seen as a necessary bit of kit.

The answer probably depends on whether or not you have used one previously. Experience suggests that once you have become accustomed to a form of protection you feel "exposed" if you haven't got it. I have a Spidi back protector that fits a couple of my Spidi jackets, it doesn't offer anything like the protection of that vest but it's the best I've had so I'm happy with it. Not quite so happy without it.

f2dz
8th April 2015, 10:49
Guys, Gotta ask the question on whether these are seen as a necessary bit of kit. My Rev'it jacket has a foam back pad which offers limited protection so should a back protector be used to beef it up? Who amongst you uses one of these on a road bike and are they uncomfortable in any way??

The foam won't do much. My Astars jacket has the same.

I have an RST jacket that has a harder CE protector in it and it's pretty comfy with it in. For track/longer rides I take it out and use a separate back protector that has shoulder straps plus a big strap that goes around my stomach. The protector itself starts at my shoulders and goes down to cover my tailbone.

Some people will swear by using them and will never ride without em. I personally don't use one for commuting day to day but I always use one if I'm going for a long ride on the weekend or for on track.

If you've got the spare coin I'd definitely pick one up but if not I wouldn't worry too much.

Gremlin
8th April 2015, 12:15
Well, they aren't able to transplant spines yet, and it's reasonably important to mobility. Having the wrong sort of accident can paralyse you, and the foam back pad is almost worthless. I use the Knox Aegis in combo with a chest protector, and have done for 6+ years now I think.

I don't use it for commuting, currently the foam pad only, but will change jackets shortly, and the replacement has a Knox insert replacing the foam. Any sort of country/weekend riding and I put it on, gear is sized to accommodate it. The back protector is definitely curved to my shape, and I'm used to the feeling of it now. You can also remove the foam pad altogether if using a back protector, so that reduces the amount of space it takes.

Mike.Gayner
8th April 2015, 12:22
I did some reading on back protectors and I'm really not sold on them. While a large proportion of motorcycle accidents requiring hospitalisation result in a back injury, the vast majority of these injuries (about 99%) are from torsion forces on the back. You're overwhelmingly more likely to break your back from the twisting force applied from your shoulders, hips or head than from a direct impact. These back protectors only provide protection for a direct impact, and therefore offer almost no real protection whatsoever.

The data suggest that back protectors do absolutely nothing for injury rates on the street. I couldn't find any data for the track, but I'd be surprised if this type of protector did anything at all in 99.9% of accidents.

Mike.Gayner
8th April 2015, 12:24
Having the wrong sort of accident can paralyse you, and the foam back pad is almost worthless. I use the Knox Aegis in combo with a chest protector, and have done for 6+ years now I think.

I'm interested as to why you think a foam back protector is worthless compared with a hard spine protector. Considering either type will only save you from a direct impact, I can't think of any reason (from an engineering point of view) why a hard type would be significantly safer than a foam pad. It might help in the vanishingly unlikely scenario that you hit a pointy rock or something directly with your back, I suppose. The foam protector should be able to absorb a reasonable amount of energy compared with a hard protector.

Ender EnZed
8th April 2015, 12:39
Presumaby buying a back protector means buying a new jacket as well, unless your current one is too big without a protector. Is this generally the case?

f2dz
8th April 2015, 12:47
I'm interested as to why you think a foam back protector is worthless compared with a hard spine protector. Considering either type will only save you from a direct impact, I can't think of any reason (from an engineering point of view) why a hard type would be significantly safer than a foam pad. It might help in the vanishingly unlikely scenario that you hit a pointy rock or something directly with your back, I suppose. The foam protector should be able to absorb a reasonable amount of energy compared with a hard protector.

Depends on the foam insert in question I suppose, but I've seen packing foam denser than the foam inside the back pocket of my Alpinestars jacket.

I reckon it's probably just there to alert you to the fact that the jacket has a built in allowance to slip a proper one in.

The foam insert in my jacket is approx 1-2cm thick so even for general protection from a direct impact there isn't a lot of room for it to compress and protect you from much.

Good points earlier about the injuries incurred from torsion of the spine even whilst wearing a back protector. I'll admit I bought mine because it was a requirement for track but I may have to do some more reading on them.

Gremlin
8th April 2015, 14:05
Well, as someone said, sometimes packing foam is more robust than what's in your jacket. I bet the jacket itself has better protection than the foam. Perhaps that foam is to make it comfortable. My Knox back protector has interlocking plates retricting movement backwards in an arch (ie, basically to prevent hyperextension). That in itself makes foam worthless. The hard plates of the proper protector will also protect against puncture like injuries and certainly that has higher odds on the roads, and I barely ever visit the track. Either way, I don't mind wearing it, and it protects me more. I wouldn't want to be the 1% injury lying in hospital for the sake of a back protector.

Your choice. Same as buying a cheap $100 helmet vs an $1000 helmet. They're both shells on your head right?

Presumaby buying a back protector means buying a new jacket as well, unless your current one is too big without a protector. Is this generally the case?
Depends. A back protector by itself is actually quite slim. My 1pc leather suit is tight (it shrunk of course, I didn't grow :rolleyes:) and the back protector can slip in fine. However, the extra chest protector certainly doesn't fit, and does add bulk.

iaingsx1300r
8th April 2015, 16:30
Must admit 'the veggie in a chair' bit doesn't do it for me. Reckon I have found a great compromise between hard and foam. Reasonable price from the UK means I will run with this option. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-seesoft-back-protector-insert

Gremlin
8th April 2015, 16:52
Must admit 'the veggie in a chair' bit doesn't do it for me. Reckon I have found a great compromise between hard and foam. Reasonable price from the UK means I will run with this option. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-seesoft-back-protector-insert
Got one of those in my latest jacket, better than foam I guess. I will keep it in permanently, but on long trips I still throw the back protector on underneath.

Previous generation of that was a Knox insert, same place. Seesoft definitely looks a bit better.

nerrrd
8th April 2015, 19:32
Really interesting comments, thanks.

My rationale for getting this was a bit round about - I was originally looking for some knee protection I could strap on over my work clothes for my daily commute. The knee protection in my riding pants rarely sit anywhere near my actual knees, so I figured this would be a plus (I already have a pair of draggin' knee protectors which come in an elastic sleeve and fit on your leg under pants, but these are a bit inconvenient to put on/take off) and the stryker knee guards fit the bill.

Since I was importing these anyway I figured I'd apply the same logic to my torso as well, with a view to using the vest for touring (I use a knox insert in my commuting jacket).

Been feeling my age lately, and thought feeling a bit more protected on the bike (even if it's mostly psychological) might help me get out and about a bit more.

It may be a bit short according to the label but I'll hang on to it - it's comfy to wear (if a bit hot) and fits well under my other gear.

vifferman
8th April 2015, 20:14
Whelp, I've got a pretty reasonable Teknic back protector that I rarely use (only on open-road trips). It could be a wee bit longer , so I was going to give it to the Vifferbabe and buy a new one for me. But then she stopped riding with me. My current jacket (Macna) has good elbow and shouldermour, but only a couple of bits of foam in the pocket at the back; pretty useless, but better than nothing. The dumb thing is, I should really wear the back protector when communtering, as I've never fallen off on the open road, and a crash is more likely around town. I just don't. Need to consider it more, I guess.
My last jacket (Teknic) had a back protector moulded into the back of it - light, convenient, and - as it turned out - very effective. My last VFR was written off when a car driver u-turned into me, and I was bounced off the side of his car onto my back on the road. It wasn't comfortable, but I had no hurt from that (just my left leg). I thought at the time, "Oh wow - I'm glad the jacket had that in it!"

nodrog
8th April 2015, 20:17
do the army wear these?

nerrrd
8th April 2015, 20:59
do the army wear these?

Hope not, unless the enemy are firing paint balls. Not sure what the 'mil-spec' bit refers to.

swbarnett
8th April 2015, 23:53
Guys, Gotta ask the question on whether these are seen as a necessary bit of kit.
In my father's day "necessary" was whatever you felt like wearing. He rode in an army great coat and "pudding-basin" helmet. When I started riding a full-face helmet was considered "necessary" (and sturdy street shoes) and nothing much else. Now I ride with a helmet, leather jacket, gloves and boots. I'll often ride without the armoured over-trou. I've never worn a back or chest protector and have every intention of never doing so.

It seems that each new generation ups the anti when it comes to rider protective clothing. At this rate there will come a time in the not to distant future when no more protection is possible and the only option for the next generation will be to stop riding.

Basically, wear whatever you feel comfortable riding in but above all else the most important piece of protective equipment you can wear resides between your ears.

Big Dog
9th April 2015, 00:14
The foam won't do much. My Astars jacket has the same.

I have an RST jacket that has a harder CE protector in it and it's pretty comfy with it in. For track/longer rides I take it out and use a separate back protector that has shoulder straps plus a big strap that goes around my stomach. The protector itself starts at my shoulders and goes down to cover my tailbone.

Some people will swear by using them and will never ride without em. I personally don't use one for commuting day to day but I always use one if I'm going for a long ride on the weekend or for on track.

If you've got the spare coin I'd definitely pick one up but if not I wouldn't worry too much.

Assuming you mean alpinestars? If so most of their kit doesn't have a back protector so much as a piece of foam to keep the shape until you buy the supplementary protector.
Supplementary protector is available from dual density foam to triple density with hard armour.

OP:
Biggest thing is fit. If it ain't comfortable it will stay in the cupboard.

Personally I have crashed more than I'd like without one and come to no grief for not having one.
Most who crash will not benefit from one but those that do and realise this would trade their favourite toy for one without a second thought.
Most anyone who would have benefited but didn't have one would trade all of their toys to be able to send one back in time.

I don't wear one commuting for the same reason I don't wear a leatt brace.
We all need to pick our cards and play our hands.

There are times I wear one.
Non-transit rides. ( rides that are not a-b find somewhere for all your crap than b-a ). E.g I'd wear one if doing coro loop or I I ever get around to a track day.

I just hope the day that I need it it is not hanging in a closet.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.