PDA

View Full Version : Can I go catless in NZ?

jezza1983
9th April 2015, 12:52
I'm going to be moving back home to NZ after living and working in the US and am trying to find out if I can bring my Triumph Thunderbird Storm back in it's modified state. I've got Hogslayer exhausts that required the cat to be removed. Some states over here like Florida are fine with it, and some aren't like California. Does anyone know if this would be OK to import to NZ? The noise rating is below 96DB but I can't find a definitive answer on whether the cat has to be there if it was manufactured with it - seems like motorbike's are exempt from some of the rules..??
Cheers!

Ender EnZed
9th April 2015, 16:10
You'll be fine. We have basically no emissions rules and plenty of bikes here are much louder than anything stock.

Paul in NZ
9th April 2015, 18:05
Gareth Morgan virtually insists on it...

Motu
9th April 2015, 18:53
The rule is you can't remove the cat of any vehicle produced after 2010. It comes in without a cat - they may look at it as they see it....or they may want it returned to original specs.

rastuscat
10th April 2015, 18:56
You'll be fine. We have basically no emissions rules and plenty of bikes here are much louder than anything stock.

I've always wondered why the cops are so hard on noisy cars but let bikes do whatever dB they want.

R650R
10th April 2015, 19:11
A bike making a lot of noise as generally disappeared into the sunset. A car making a lot of noise is usually still lurking in the vicinity of original offending....

I had reason to look up the official noise limits for bikes awhile back, its insanely generous on the dB scale....

We have an interesting loophole here that stuff fitted when vehicle passes its first WOF inspection is considered normal fitment for rest of its life.
seriously I doubt you will have a problem.

AllanB
10th April 2015, 19:30
I've always wondered why the cops are so hard on noisy cars but let bikes do whatever dB they want.

Because desperately they want to ride that bike :Punk:

I wonder why Police bikes are so bloody quiet. It would be more effective and intimidating if you guys powered around on loud machinery putting the shits up Joe Public.

Akzle
10th April 2015, 20:24
It would be more effective and intimidating if you guys powered around on loud machinery putting the shits up Joe Public.

putting? Or packing? You know theyre getting hondas eh...?

jezza1983
10th April 2015, 20:33
I'm not really worried about the noise aspect, the Hogslayers are certainly below 96dB, and are only loud if you really let it rip, it was more about the emissions. As far as I can tell looking online, importing motorbikes are exempt from most of the exhaust/emission rules - but it's hard to tell for sure. Actually the rules in NZ are pretty generous for bikes, many US states have far tighter restrictions. Surprising really with all of the general life nanny state laws we have

Motu
10th April 2015, 20:40
The reason we have things like catalytic converters is because of US rules. Even though it's a huge market some manufacturers can't be bothered to make a vehicle pass US regs, which is why they don't get as big a range as a small market like NZ.

Tazz
10th April 2015, 21:38

They're not dumb enough to ride in circles for hours in the same neighborhood, as a rule.

Haggis2
11th April 2015, 19:38
Yes you can - get a dog

rastuscat
10th May 2015, 20:24
Yes you can - get a dog

Nah. Being catless and dogless is so peaceful.