PDA

View Full Version : Lost FXR150 fuel tank key

omamari
13th April 2015, 11:47
So, I have this friend...

Who is going to bucket race for the 1st time this weekend. And this friend lost the key to the fuel tank...

Any suggestions?

Cheers

F5 Dave
13th April 2015, 11:54
Flatblade screwdriver, hammer, lots of twist. It'll never be a road-bike again.

Now this friend of yours. Has he been having inappropriate dreams? :laugh:

quallman1234
13th April 2015, 12:55
Also, if you left it at home and dont really want to smash it... Take the tank off and fuel cock out and pour the gas in upside down. Will take a while!

Big Dog
13th April 2015, 13:38
Is this the sort with the Alan keys exposed at the top?
You could disassemble the cap, take the lock out and reassemble. Then it opens with a flat blade screwdriver without creating new sharp edges or sparking around the fumes of a recently emptied tank while effectively chiseling the lock out.

Smashing the lock out is quicker but potentially more frustrating.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

omamari
13th April 2015, 13:51
Fuel cock is best bet as I think key can be found. I wouldn't go through more than a tank of fuel in a day of racing would i?

It does have the allan key collar but it is pretty much decorative and doesn't help getting lock off

F5 Dave
13th April 2015, 14:22
Nowhere near it. 5l should give you spare & then some.

jasonu
13th April 2015, 16:16
Is this the sort with the Alan keys exposed at the top?
You could disassemble the cap, take the lock out and reassemble. Then it opens with a flat blade screwdriver without creating new sharp edges or sparking around the fumes of a recently emptied tank while effectively chiseling the lock out.

Smashing the lock out is quicker but potentially more frustrating.

I thought the word 'dissassemble' was an American term. I had never heard it used until I came here. I always used to use the words dismantle or unassemble.

omamari
13th April 2015, 16:24
I thought the word 'dissassemble' was an American term. I had never heard it used until I came here. I always used to use the words dismantle or unassemble.
I don't think unassemble is a word. There is the adjective unassembled. E.g. if something comes unassembled.

Normally when you smash your lock into the bottom of your fuel tank you are dismantling or disassembling.

Henk
13th April 2015, 17:01
If you remove the cap screws (only four do anything, the others are merely decorative) you can get the fuel cap off the tank with a bit of brute force without permanently buggering anything.
Another option is to whip round the pits trying all the FXR keys you can find, has worked more than once.

Yow Ling
13th April 2015, 17:21
I don't think unassemble is a word. There is the adjective unassembled. E.g. if something comes unassembled.

Normally when you smash your lock into the bottom of your fuel tank you are dismantling or disassembling.

if it comes unassembled then somebody must have unassembled it

Akzle
13th April 2015, 17:48
what kind of a nigger doesn't know how to pick a lock?? a fuken basic one at that!

flat blade drewscriver and a hairpin.

omamari
13th April 2015, 18:08
what kind of a nigger doesn't know how to pick a lock?? a fuken basic one at that!

flat blade drewscriver and a hairpin.
.... yea, alright then.

Big Dog
13th April 2015, 21:55

Unassembled implies that assembly has not yet occurred. Disassemble implies taking an action to cause assembly to no longer be complete. Dismantle implies broken down for storage or salvage.