PDA

View Full Version : My accident

mattian
1st May 2015, 14:41
Im posting this with a view to getting some constructive criticism as to what, if anything, I could have done better to avoid this situation.

About 2 months ago. About 9.15am on a Friday morning, was riding down Albert Street, central Auckland. Those of you familiar wih Auckland, in the vicinity of Crowne Plaza hotel, heading towards Victoria street.
I was following a taxi, at a respectable distance, both of us within the speed limit. Now theres 2 lanes here. We're both in the right lane and a bus lane on the left. Im going straight ahead at the next set of lights.
I notice him pulling left into the bus lane, without indicating (probably shouldve been my first clue of funny business in hindsight)and at the same time he's slowing right down, just like he's pulling over. Im travelling straight ahead so, Im staying my course in the right lane. As Im passing, he decides right at that moment to either do a U-turn or, make a hard right and turn across my path of travel. I see him looming up in peripheral vision and swerve right in an attempt to get around him but its obvious he hasnt seen me at all. Crunch, bike slams into his right bumper and wobbles, im trying to save it but even though its not at all high speed, I lose it. BIke goes skidding off down Albert street with lots of noise and sparks.
I take abit of a hit on my left knee and shin. Doesnt hurt much at the time, but in subsequent days becomes a wee bit painful. Nothing serious though.

Lots of people around to help me organise myself and get my bike off the road.
Taxi driver looks very shaken and hes sorry. We exchange details etc. My 2009 Gladius which has been my only transport for the past 5 years and 100,000+ Kms is written off.

Looking back on this experience, his pulling over without indicating should have been a clue of what "might" be about to happen, but short of having ESP im trying consider what if anything may have been able to do to avoid the collision. perhaps nothing at all? certainly, lessons were learnt. Taxi drivers are the fucking worst.

anyway, any comments or suggesttions would be greatley appreciated.
Ta.

Banditbandit
1st May 2015, 14:43
Not much you could do ... many riders have been caught by fucking idiots doing exactly that ... U-turning from the left .. even cops have done it to us ..

Paul in NZ
1st May 2015, 14:51
Sounds like you have already learnt a lesson? Sometimes your oh oh that looks weird sense needs listening to and other times it does not... Hard to tell when to listen..

Many many people caught out like that but if there IS a lesson its to make sure you ride where the car in front can see you (ie not in the blind spot) and do your best to make SURE the fucker has seen you...

TheDemonLord
1st May 2015, 15:11
Since I had a slipnslide, I ride covering the front brake - had I been in your situation, I might have also covered the rear when I started to see a Taxi do weird shit, which might have helped haul her up in time.

I will say that I wasn't there, so don't know all the details - you might have been able to swerve left instead of right and pass behind the taxi, you might have been able to give it some gas and scoot in front.

but these are all academic really

Erelyes
1st May 2015, 16:52
Paging Dr Katman... Paging Dr Katman...

No real way to tell from a description on the interwebs to be honest mate.

You mentioned seeing the taxi in your priff'rill, so I'm presuming braking would have achieved nothing. From what you've said it sounds like he couldn't have done a much better job of knocking you off if he'd been trying to do it deliberately. Some things are unavoidable despite your best efforts.

mossy1200
1st May 2015, 17:01
U-turning from the left .. even cops have done it to us ..

Sitting in Aro Valley café on Saturday watched one nab 6 customers in the reduced 30 zone. 3 times pulling 3 point turns within 20 metres of a blind corner. 2 occasions causing traffic to brake suddenly. I was tempted to *555 him near the end of my coffee.

R650R
1st May 2015, 18:36
Nothing you could do, hard to give advise when we don't know what your level of awareness/experience is.

But always assume the vehicle in front is going to do something stupid. I try to keep a minimum 4 sec gap in all conditions now whether I'm on my bike, car or in truck.
Doesn't cover everything but lot less stress and braking.

I've done over 2 millions kms in Trucks and also watched an unhealthy amount of Russian dashcam vids.... yet weekly if not daily I see a new WTF is that manoevoure from someone.

One thing I recommend is to wargame out scenarios on your regular routes sop your mind is preprepared and know where you've got space for evasion.

caspernz
1st May 2015, 19:41
Nobody who wasn't in your shoes at the time will have the perfect answer. On the face of it, you may not have been suspicious enough of the taxi drivers' behaviour, but we all make that error. Hope you heal up well.

Taxis are my number one pet hate for the exact reason you described though, and I treat them as live ammo.

Katman
1st May 2015, 21:41
Paging Dr Katman... Paging Dr Katman...

I wondered how long it would be before someone started stroking their cock.

My only contribution is that if the cab was prepared to chuck a turn in front of you there was probably nothing much coming the other way.

The erratic move to the left would have me moving as far out the the right of the lane as safety allowed.

awa355
1st May 2015, 23:40
In future, if following a taxi, check to see if the driver has a towel wrapped around his head, if so, leave plenty of room.

Berries
1st May 2015, 23:56
Doesn't everyone in Auckland wear a turban?

ellipsis
2nd May 2015, 02:23
...often things in cities fuck up, sometimes quick, sometimes slow, you just can't always, sometimes, no times oftenly avoid the happenstance of somebody wanting to impose themselves upon your supposedly inviolate space...then ...BANG... they have violated your space...the silliness of them...this would not happen back in Bradford...

samgab
2nd May 2015, 07:53
You can't entirely eliminate the risk of something like this happening again, so:

1: Ride as defensively, and with as much situational awareness as possible. Do training. Practice emergency braking and maneouvering.
2: ATGATT, for the chance that 1 lets you down.
3: Full insurance, for when 1 has let you down and 2 has hopefully protected your body.

1 is about preventing an incident wherever possible, 2 is about minimising risk to your person, and 3 is about mitigating the damage.

ICE180
2nd May 2015, 08:12
similar thing happened to me but I got taken out and smashed my knee cap security officer got done for wreck less driving etc went to court the whole thing so I am glad to hear it was only your bike written off

nothing you can do as I found out:shit:

Gadget1
2nd May 2015, 08:39
Im posting this with a view to getting some constructive criticism as to what, if anything, I could have done better to avoid this situation.

About 2 months ago. About 9.15am on a Friday morning, was riding down Albert Street, central Auckland. Those of you familiar wih Auckland, in the vicinity of Crowne Plaza hotel, heading towards Victoria street.
I was following a taxi, at a respectable distance, both of us within the speed limit. Now theres 2 lanes here. We're both in the right lane and a bus lane on the left. Im going straight ahead at the next set of lights.
I notice him pulling left into the bus lane, without indicating (probably shouldve been my first clue of funny business in hindsight)and at the same time he's slowing right down, just like he's pulling over. Im travelling straight ahead so, Im staying my course in the right lane. As Im passing, he decides right at that moment to either do a U-turn or, make a hard right and turn across my path of travel. I see him looming up in peripheral vision and swerve right in an attempt to get around him but its obvious he hasnt seen me at all. Crunch, bike slams into his right bumper and wobbles, im trying to save it but even though its not at all high speed, I lose it. BIke goes skidding off down Albert street with lots of noise and sparks.
I take abit of a hit on my left knee and shin. Doesnt hurt much at the time, but in subsequent days becomes a wee bit painful. Nothing serious though.

Lots of people around to help me organise myself and get my bike off the road.
Taxi driver looks very shaken and hes sorry. We exchange details etc. My 2009 Gladius which has been my only transport for the past 5 years and 100,000+ Kms is written off.

Looking back on this experience, his pulling over without indicating should have been a clue of what "might" be about to happen, but short of having ESP im trying consider what if anything may have been able to do to avoid the collision. perhaps nothing at all? certainly, lessons were learnt. Taxi drivers are the fucking worst.

anyway, any comments or suggesttions would be greatley appreciated.
Ta.

Sorry to see about your accident. I've nothing to add regarding constructive criticism etc, it appears to have all been covered.

What's the story on your next motorcycle though?

eldog
2nd May 2015, 09:41
its good that your OK

I learnt a long time ago as a front seat passenger all about blind spots in a car caused by pillars.

Two vehicles travelling either together or at right angles, one vehicle 'disappeared' from the drivers view - I know because I saw the driver check TWICE before turning, then I looked myself out of natural reaction.

It was a revelation to me about what blind spots are caused by pillars. It was a perfect accident waiting to happen, both vehicles just at the right speed so the pillar covered the oncoming cars position.

I always check over my right shoulder when I change lanes and I move my head forward to check if any cars etc 'hiding' in the pillars to the left or right. when I am in the cage.

Saw part of a 'traffic' show about the intersection - Waiuku/Kingseat road, seemed obvious to me the accident there was caused by the 'pillar effect' although this wasn't even a suggestion.

So when I ride I try and maintain what I think is a good position for the driver to see me.

From your observations it appears that you had already noticed what the driver was doing which is great.

It sounds like you have a healthy attitude to your accident which is awesome :yes: (it can eat you up and demoralise you - I Know)

now go out and get a new bike.:woohoo:

Erelyes
2nd May 2015, 09:44

I was paging you, not stroking you.

caseye
2nd May 2015, 09:53
You can't entirely eliminate the risk of something like this happening again, so:

1: Ride as defensively, and with as much situational awareness as possible. Do training. Practice emergency braking and maneouvering.
2: ATGATT, for the chance that 1 lets you down.
3: Full insurance, for when 1 has let you down and 2 has hopefully protected your body.

1 is about preventing an incident wherever possible, 2 is about minimising risk to your person, and 3 is about mitigating the damage.

All good points. Only thing I'd change is the one about "riding defensively"
Don't!.
Always ride Offensively, be in their face, make sure they see you. Ride where they can't help but see you, weave across your lane if you're not sure they have. Watch em all for the little signs.
Even when they have seen you, they will still try to turn before you, it's the old, I'm bigger than them thing.
The little signs. Indicators, never trust em but if they've bothered to use em at least they're trying. Road position.
Head position Where are they looking.How they drive,confident, looking, not confident, hands clutching wheel, looking straight ahead.
Naturally you have to do this for every vehicle in your vision and yes this includes behind you, they sneak up and run you over and Yep, they'll still say I didn't see him/her.So Make sure your'e brake lights work, make sure you! are turning the way you indicate, look in your mirrors.
Add it all up and 90% of your job is done and you will get home OK.
Forget one, don't keep looking at their front wheels when they're doing dumb shit and it's you in the hospital.
Being right on a bike is not important.
Still being on the bike and unhurt IS!
Glad you're OK op.
Sometimes even doing everything, it still happens unless you fail to learn from your mistakes, you will be an even safer rider from now on I'm sure.

eldog
2nd May 2015, 10:01
All good points. Only thing I'd change is the one about "riding defensively"
Don't!.
Always ride Offensively, be in their face, make sure they see you. Ride where they can't help but see you, weave across your lane if you're not sure they have. Watch em all for the little signs.
Even when they have seen you, they will still try to turn before you, it's the old, I'm bigger than them thing.
The little signs. Indicators, never trust em but if they've bothered to use em at least they're trying. Road position.
Head position Where are they looking.How they drive,confident, looking, not confident, hands clutching wheel, looking straight ahead.
Naturally you have to do this for every vehicle in your vision and yes this includes behind you, they sneak up and run you over and Yep, they'll still say I didn't see him/her.So Make sure your'e brake lights work, make sure you! are turning the way you indicate, look in your mirrors.
Add it all up and 90% of your job is done and you will get home OK.
Forget one, don't keep looking at their front wheels when they're doing dumb shit and it's you in the hospital.
Being right on a bike is not important.
Still being on the bike and unhurt IS!
Glad you're OK op.
Sometimes even doing everything, it still happens unless you fail to learn from your mistakes, you will be an even safer rider from now on I'm sure.

+1 on this

too often I am the nice guy on the bike, but you do need to in some circumstances take the bull by the horn and be on the offensive
weaving, being annoying with you lights and exhaust can save you grief (I am a believer in loud but not too loud pipes)

Ixion
2nd May 2015, 10:27
One thing not mentioned which might have helped, is to melodiously tootle your tootler at any sign of oddness.

I make much use of my tootler, a brief tootle at any oddness, just to say "You do know I'm here don't you ?". And an eardrum bleeding blast (my tootler is non standard) to say " WTF. Get the fuck off NOW " if anyone starts taking liberties.

I get the odd spot of abuse , but I figure they have to see me to abuse me so it's all good.

And, although it is non PC , loud pipes save dings, if not lives. If you had been riding a Crack of Doom Harley, the taxi driver would have been aware that there was something making that racket off to the right.

But, in the end, sometimes ShitJustHappens and you can't avoid it.

samgab
2nd May 2015, 10:42
...If you had been riding a Crack of Doom Harley, the taxi driver would have been aware that there was something making that racket off to the right...

As long as he could hear it over his playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o04crXXaIKU (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o04crXXaIKU)

mattian
2nd May 2015, 11:26

My only contribution is that if the cab was prepared to chuck a turn in front of you there was probably nothing much coming the other way.

The erratic move to the left would have me moving as far out the the right of the lane as safety allowed.

Yep. I always try to position myself in the right hand wheel track of the car in front, How he didnt see me behind him is a mystery to me. Unless he thought I was much further back when he checked his mirrors (amost certanly the case)

I probably couldve given it just a little squirt as well just to get past him quicker. As it happens I just mantained my normal speed.
but yeah. cheers for that.

mattian
2nd May 2015, 11:30
Sorry to see about your accident. I've nothing to add regarding constructive criticism etc, it appears to have all been covered.

What's the story on your next motorcycle though?

Insurance came through.... many weeks later ! topped it up a little and got myself a 2015 GSR750.
just breaking in the new engine. Still geting used to it bu wow what a lovely bike to ride.

eldog
2nd May 2015, 11:35
Yep. I always try to position myself in the right hand wheel track of the car in front, How he didnt see me behind him is a mystery to me. Unless he thought I was much further back when he checked his mirrors (amost certanly the case)

I probably couldve given it just a little squirt as well just to get past him quicker. As it happens I just mantained my normal speed.
but yeah. cheers for that.

Dude, don't ASSUME what ANY driver will do as you do. MOST don't check their mirrors let alone over the shoulder......

there and ASS in front of U and ME.

you only have to watch how MOST drivers merge onto the Mway - they don't even move their heads, they have the special ability, If I cant see them They wont hit me as I merge.

I need to go back to Bangkok to see how the Tuktuk drivers merge - its so smooth - a little toot here a little toot there, everywhere a toot toot. LOL
(there ain't no U turns there) - felt quite safe after 5 minutes apart from the diversions through about 500 clothes shops - it was run by the fuzz.

(Mainlanders needn't worry they don't have a Mway only one way bridges where the biggest vehicles have ROW):bleh:

Gadget1
2nd May 2015, 12:00
Insurance came through.... many weeks later ! topped it up a little and got myself a 2015 GSR750.
just breaking in the new engine. Still geting used to it bu wow what a lovely bike to ride.

Good one!

I went for a ride to Wellsford yesterday, no pics to prove it but a trio of riders I saw had cameras, maybe they're members.

Plenty of other motorbikes around, I wouldn't be surprised if you were one of them. A great day.

Gremlin
2nd May 2015, 14:02
As said, it's hard to say without being there (or a video). You mention a respectable following distance, but that's really no clear data. I've seen plenty of motorcycles following far too close and they think it's fine.

The only reason I mention this is that it might have increased your reaction time, put you in a different position to the taxi etc. Ultimately, the taxi drivers are mostly a menace (I ride around the CBD often enough). Double parking, parking in non-taxi bays to have a chat, paying no attention to the road and only fares etc. Yeah, stay well clear and like any road user, assume nothing except that anything can happen.

After all, they won't see you if they're not looking... Which is highly probable.

FJRider
2nd May 2015, 14:36
...this would not happen back in Bradford...

He is in Auckland ... it does happen there ... apparently ... :shifty:

I avoid the place myself ... and have had no such issues ... :shifty:

The OP should have had the assumption that all the drivers ... of all vehicles witthin 50 meters of him ... will attempt to kill him.

He then might have then looked a little harder ... and taken steps to avoid him ... a little earlier.

The "It wont happen to ME" syndrome is still alive and well ... apparently ...

swbarnett
2nd May 2015, 15:01

I would do this but also go one step further. I've been in this exact situation before and was nearly stationary before the car pulled right which allowed me to stop in plenty of time. Either that or zoom past before they have a chance to be a problem (depends on how close you are at the time).

I never trust anyone that veers left without making a proper turn. At times like this paranoia is your friend.

Kickaha
2nd May 2015, 18:43
loud pipes save dings
The don't save fuck all, in most vehicles I've driven with the windows up and radio barely audlible you don't even hear them coming

swbarnett
4th May 2015, 00:07
in most vehicles I've driven with the windows up and radio barely audlible you don't even hear them coming
While on the face of it I think you're right, there was marked increase in vehicles moving over for me while lane-splitting after I had my Yoshi put on. Can't think what else could've made the difference.

swbarnett
5th May 2015, 15:30
It was a revelation to me about what blind spots are caused by pillars.
I would've taken out a cyclist for the same reason if it wasn't for my passenger yelling for me to stop.

Since then pillars have only gotten larger, only exacerbating the problem. A perfect example of a "safety improvement" actually decreasing another's safety. Kind of like WRBs.

eldog
5th May 2015, 18:04
I would've taken out a cyclist for the same reason if it wasn't for my passenger yelling for me to stop.

I WAS the passenger doing the Yelling in my case.

Even though the driver did look twice, it was just the right converging speed and angle for the pillar to block out the on coming car.
We stopped - no worries

Another good one is 2 lanes coming from right, when you are turning right.
I was behind a car which was turning right.
Truck and trailer coming from right in nearest lane, indicated to turn left.
Driver in front of me started to pull out..... didn't see the vehicle overtaking the truck (truck blocking view)
I could see the car overtaking.

Did the whole yelling as LOUD and pushing HORN, lucky they Emergency stopped after that. Thought WTF is happening behind.

Felt so Powerless watching..

It would have been a fatal T bone

FJRider
8th May 2015, 21:21
While on the face of it I think you're right, there was marked increase in vehicles moving over for me while lane-splitting after I had my Yoshi put on. Can't think what else could've made the difference.

The red and blue lights of the police chasing you ... might have had something to do with it ... ;)

swbarnett
8th May 2015, 22:38
The red and blue lights of the police chasing you ... might have had something to do with it ... ;)
Wow! I didn't know the fuzz had invested in cloaking devices.

MarkH
10th May 2015, 14:14
To avoid accidents: be aware & alert, be ready to take action to avoid anything that happens.
Regardless of what you do sometimes shit happens and you just gotta hope you come out of it OK.

p.dath
11th May 2015, 07:53
Sometimes shit happens. I would have needed up in the same situation as yourself.