PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton

mada
2nd May 2015, 01:28
Looking for some advice on the areas in Hamilton that are good to live in/raise a young family - that should be easy to get semi-decent - good tenants and areas or streets to totally avoid.

Sick of Auckland's shit snail pace traffic and not prepared to pay the majority of my wage and struggle to live in an overpriced cesspit of shit while bringing up a baby. Only problem is we cannot move down until I graduate which is not for a couple of years - by which time house prices will probably have increased beyond our ability again to buy. So we are looking at buying now before all the other Auckland escapees and fking property investors who will follow (they've already started) put major pressure on the market. :mad:

I would prefer somewhere close to the main road heading north to Auckland and near the hospital as I will most likely be working there (but really the top characteristics of decent place to raise kids/ good area for tenants are main conditions.

Have read quite a few other forums about areas in Hamilton which have suggested that areas like Melville, Dinsdale, Nawton (most of west) are not that good...(but are very close to hospital) but this was quite dated info. Hamilton East and near Boys High seems pretty expensive now and the new area of Rototuna is not really somewhere we could afford too. Our price range would be $300,000 - $400,000.

Anyone care to share the experiences of good and bad living in the Tron whether it be renting or owning.

casualsonic
2nd May 2015, 03:57
I hope I don't offend anyone but just trying to be helpful and state my observations...

There are some bloody nice places in Dinsdale/Grandview Heights in your price range.

I'd stay away from Ham east (highest burglary rate) and Hillcrest (studentville)

Fairfield/Enderley is pretty rough... Same with some parts of Nawton.

I'd be looking Flagstaff, Chartwell/Chedworth, Dinsdale, Grandview Heights and maybe Glenview and parts of Nawton (in that order) as possible areas to buy in.

I'm hoping to purchase my first home next year as well and will be looking closely at these areas... In saying that, I did have an offer on a place in Melville when the reserve bank decided to be a bunch of fuckwits and lock most first home buyers out of purchasing.

I think Melville is a working class area which isn't really too bad.

Just my 2cents :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skippa1
2nd May 2015, 05:36
Avoid Hamiltoe, its a shit hole

TheDemonLord
2nd May 2015, 07:39
Avoid Hamiltoe, its a shit hole

Come live on the Whangaparaoa Peninsula - its like Auckland, but without all the shit that makes you hate Auckland

Akzle
2nd May 2015, 07:47
Come live on the Whangaparaoa Peninsula - its like Auckland, but without all the shit that makes you hate Auckland

no: aucklanders.
:yes:

Akzle
2nd May 2015, 07:49
hamilton is only the southern most suburb of auckland anyway.

as for areas to live. also no.

move into the cuntry and be a lifestyler :bleh:

or. go be a farmer, it's what te waikato is for.

gjm
2nd May 2015, 09:47
No need to live in Hamilton (I guess you'll be looking to work there?) unless you're really a city dweller at heart.

Look at the surrounding areas too. Houses are cheaper (other than perhaps Cambridge) but Matamata and Morrinsville are nice areas with easy access to Hamilton (for instance). Towards the south you've got lakes and suchlike, and people even commute in from Raglan (although that's also getting expensive these days).

The more in-town areas are already covered.

North you have Ngaruawahia and Huntly - a little less salubrious perhaps, but really, really cheap and pretty good community feel.

We're in Te Kauwhata. Growing area, and easy access into Hamilton, but a similar distance to Auckland if you miss the smoke and all the people at all. (I've not been into the city in well over 12 months!)

Oakie
2nd May 2015, 10:04
I saw yesterday somewhere that the men and women in white coats believe they have discovered a new fault line under Hamilton. True! (We Christchurchians take note of such things.)

Tazz
2nd May 2015, 10:15
No need to live in Hamilton (I guess you'll be looking to work there?) unless you're really a city dweller at heart.

Yeah my sister bought out in Matangi. Cool wee spot that's not out of the way at all. They've even got a local speakeasy that pops up every now and again :laugh:

Katman
2nd May 2015, 11:22
One of my sisters lives in Glenview.

It appears to be user friendly enough and is handy to the hospital.

sil3nt
2nd May 2015, 12:37
Seriously look at Ngaruawahia. Cheap and a short drive into Hamilton.

WNJ
2nd May 2015, 15:44
We have just purchased our 3rd house just north of Hamilton, 7 acres, 3 in native bush with a stream less then $400 k, why would you want to live north of the bombays?

R650R
2nd May 2015, 15:50
Avoid ALL of Hamilton... and traffic, dear god its one of the worst places to drive through...
A mate had a rental there and some somalians set a fire inside the oven to keep warm... wrecked the oven.

How about Pukekohe or Tuakau??? or maybe Te Awamutu.
Plus one on Ngaruawahia, be a step up on Hamilton...

haydes55
2nd May 2015, 15:59
Traffic is horrible in Hamilton. I have to drive through rush hour traffic almost daily. It takes me 20 minutes to get from the office in north pukete to glenview in rush hour. That's usually a 18 minute drive! Fucking ludicrous.

Swoop
2nd May 2015, 16:08

Fuck that. It's like Devonport - ONE road in and out which the local spastics cannot use sensibly. I loathe the Whangaparaoa road and its users who do not appear to know what that right-hand pedal is on the driver's floor.

gjm
2nd May 2015, 18:39
We have just purchased our 3rd house just north of Hamilton, 7 acres, 3 in native bush with a stream less then $400 k, why would you want to live north of the bombays?

PM me? Keen to know more, although it's going to be tricky convincing the family to move much further south than where we are now - school is the biggest issue (we don't want to change at this stage).
That is the biggest issue with Hamilton - to go through, you have to go through. There is no easy and quick way around.

Still, if all you're doing is going there, then it's less of a problem.

mada
2nd May 2015, 20:30
Thanks for the info and tips especially casualsonic - very helpful. I quite like the look of areas outside of Hamilton like Cambridge, Morrinsville, Ngaruawahia and Te Awamutu. Unfortunately our circumstances now and in the first few years when I start working make city living more appealing.

Only 20mins for peak hour traffic :killingme I'll trade that for 20 mins to get 2 measly km's any day.

Murphys law the day we decide to commit to Hamilton a fault line is discovered - however the risk of a quake looks about the same as Rangitoto blowing its top - sweet bugger all. Being born and raised in Chch/ Kaiapoi - will keep a closer eye out for reports in regards to liquefaction and will do some homework on the regional and city councils regarding higher risk areas.

Cheers all

carburator
2nd May 2015, 23:12
Avoid ALL of Hamilton... and traffic, dear god its one of the worst places to drive through...
A mate had a rental there and some somalians set a fire inside the oven to keep warm... wrecked the oven.

How about Pukekohe or Tuakau??? or maybe Te Awamutu.
Plus one on Ngaruawahia, be a step up on Hamilton...

pukekohe.. fark over priced
mate even the shitters in tuakau are going for 400plus..
pokeno. still a cold shit hole in winter...

Hamilton haha mate 15 years ago Avalon drive used to have gridlock..

slofox
3rd May 2015, 04:26
Hamilton is close to a lot of top riding. Dinsdale ain't so bad either - I live there...:whistle:

Autech
4th May 2015, 10:21
Te Rapa, Pukete is a good location (where I grew up) and you should be able to get a house in your price range in that bracket. There is also a few good schools there for the kiddies.
By the sounds of it you want to stay on the city side of the river if your goal is to work at the hospital plus get to Auckland.

Te Awamutu is a happening place apparently, we are looking to move back north in a year or so and I will be looking to buy outside of Hamilton.

swarfie
4th May 2015, 10:37
Te Rapa, Pukete is a good location (where I grew up) and you should be able to get a house in your price range in that bracket. There is also a few good schools there for the kiddies.
By the sounds of it you want to stay on the city side of the river if your goal is to work at the hospital plus get to Auckland.

Te Awamutu is a happening place apparently, we are looking to move back north in a year or so and I will be looking to buy outside of Hamilton.

We've been in Pukete for 32 years, it's a great part of the Tron but places don't last long on the market anywhere under 400k. I suggest you be in quick. Due to the new road through the new industrial sections west of the Base it's only a short drive/ride to the hospital but the traffic through there can get a bit heavy (by Hamilton standards) in peak times. I'm lucky I only live 6 minutes from work on my pushy. Must have saved a fortune over the years:headbang:

awa355
4th May 2015, 11:58
Hamilton is close to a lot of top riding. Dinsdale ain't so bad either - I live there...:whistle:

How did you get back thru' customs?????:shifty::shifty:

slofox
4th May 2015, 22:06
How did you get back thru' customs?????:shifty::shifty:

Not back yet - still in Wales with my son and two grandsons.

Italy was fabulous...:devil2:

wharekura
4th May 2015, 23:31
If u have a job in the cbd, having a place on the cbd side of the river means u dont have to cross a bridge during peak times. if u setting up shop in the cbd, leases in central are cheap as. e.g. $90 per week including 24/7 parking for 15sqm. You coming from the ytaks means u could easily afford something by the river :eek:

This could help regarding schooling? http://www.stuff.co.nz/interactives/schoolreport/2014/

5th May 2015, 08:57
Saint Andrews. Close to bike shops on Te Rapa Straight which heads north to Dorkland

Maha
5th May 2015, 09:14
Fuck that. It's like Devonport - ONE road in and out which the local spastics cannot use sensibly. I loathe the Whangaparaoa road and its users who do not appear to know what that right-hand pedal is on the driver's floor.

Indeed agree, both places reflect each others good reasons as to why NOT to become a resident.
If Hamilton is a must, I would look further out rather than within the city limits.
Ohaupo seems to a desired place/Whatawhata/Ngahinapouri or Morrinsville at a push.

mada
5th May 2015, 09:41
If u have a job in the cbd, having a place on the cbd side of the river means u dont have to cross a bridge during peak times. if u setting up shop in the cbd, leases in central are cheap as. e.g. $90 per week including 24/7 parking for 15sqm. You coming from the ytaks means u could easily afford something by the river :eek:

This could help regarding schooling? http://www.stuff.co.nz/interactives/schoolreport/2014/

Thanks mate that school info is really helpful. :niceone:

Going to drive down this weekend and have a good look around streets and suburbs.

Latte
5th May 2015, 10:26

Like Jobs ?