PDA

View Full Version : is VTR 250 a standard style bike or a sportbike?

Vilicus
20th September 2005, 22:45
just curious

are naked bikes= standard bikes?

flash
20th September 2005, 22:51
im pretty sure those vtr's (i really wanted one) have alot of pep in them, also they have a v-twin so they will sound like a ducati (sorta). but from the look of the riding postion ild called it more a commuter, even though you could have alot of fun on one of those + it just looks B E A U TIFUL

Keystone19
21st September 2005, 08:48
just curious

are naked bikes= standard bikes?

The positioning is more like a tourer than a sportsbike.

Damn fun bike though... :devil2:

jrandom
21st September 2005, 09:01
nice little bike, had a play on one once when a friend was considering purchasing. not the quickest 250 around but comfy and handles sharp, as you woud expect from something that weighs less than 10% of the users on this forum.

overpriced too, but thats the invisible hand of adam smith for you, the bastard, learner restrictions should be on power not displacement but I think I saw that alredy thrashed out here when I was reading old posts so I wont get into it.

of course its a honda, so you have to be very comfortable with your sexual orientation and not worry about other peoples opinions.

Jonty
21st September 2005, 09:01
This is a VTR 250 it is a naked bike. Not sure if you would call a naked bike a "standard" bike, but I suppose nowadays they just about are :msn-wink:

Hitcher
21st September 2005, 09:06
"Standard bike" is a naff Americanism. The BDOTGNZA is currently developing a green paper on this...

Keystone19
21st September 2005, 09:07
This is a VTR 250 it is a naked bike.

THis is a better picture of a VTR250

(Ok, ok I couldn't resist)

Pwalo
21st September 2005, 09:17
Yes, it's what the 'Mericans would call a standard. Anywhere else I think it would just be called a naked bike.

It may be hard to believe but a few years ago it probably would have been listed in the sportsbike category, but then I can remember when Superbikes meant Z1000's and GS1000's.

Anyway who cares. The VTR is great fun to ride, and pretty good looking as well. Learn to ride it well and you'll keep up with most things on the road.

Sniper
21st September 2005, 09:37
Its a Naked. There is no such thing as a standard bike........... because every bike is special.

Vilicus
21st September 2005, 09:40
does anyone know other similar bikes which have a strainght up sitting position instead of leaning forward?

i am buying a bike for commuting, so normal sportbikes are not very suitable for me. ( recently had another ride on my mate's blue GSX250, that was my first time on the road: i got sore wrist and neck after a while, then my lower back stated hurting- feels like i've done some sprinting)

Sniper
21st September 2005, 09:44
Most bikes feel uncomfortable until you are used to them. If you are looking for something in that style but more upright, I would suggest a modified cruiser but I could be wrong. Might pay to wait and hear from some of our more wiser individuals.

dveus
21st September 2005, 10:08
does anyone know other similar bikes which have a strainght up sitting position instead of leaning forward?

i am buying a bike for commuting, so normal sportbikes are not very suitable for me. ( recently had another ride on my mate's blue GSX250, that was my first time on the road: i got sore wrist and neck after a while, then my lower back stated hurting- feels like i've done some sprinting)

The GSX is like an arm chair compared to alot of other 250's. Maybe more time in the seat and you will get used to it.

Ixion
21st September 2005, 13:14

Virago. Eliminator.

Pwalo
21st September 2005, 14:00

You could always try a trail bike. Probably not an option if you're vertically challenged though.

SPman
21st September 2005, 19:16
but then I can remember when Superbikes meant Z1000's and GS1000's.
or 1974 Ducati 750SS.'s................sigh
Shit, I wish I'd kept the bike and sold the wife...................

crashe
21st September 2005, 19:26

Buy a Virago... they are great to commute on.... and have a comfy seat.. Feet are forward.... and you sit upright on them. You wont get sore wrists when riding a Virago..
Check out my avator.. for a pic of one of them..
Yep I am very biased about a Virago... Been riding mine for over 5 years now.

They travel well on long trips as well.

Mr Skid
21st September 2005, 19:42
You could always try a trail bike. Probably not an option if you're vertically challenged though.Yamaha XT225's have quite a low seat. Not sure about XR's/DR's though.

SixPackBack
21st September 2005, 20:02
I rode a vtr250 tonight. Made a sad flatulent sound, had less power than an air compressor......twas not a plesant experience at all, fortunatley i could give it back to its sad owner......had trouble getting the keys back for my bike! :laugh:

Krayy
2nd October 2005, 20:43

I'm a little late in posting my opinion, but here goes....I would class the VTR as almost THE perfect bike to learn and grow on. Its got a very neutral riding position, so it wont do your back in and you've got great visibility for commuting. It ain't the fastest 250 out there, but it's what you do with it that counts, and it handles like a champion through the twisties, even with my portly frame aboard.

Don't be put off that bikes wihtout tachos aren't true sport bikes. If you're riding hard (or properly), you want to be watching the road, not seeing how many RPMs you're doing, and you will learn where the best change points are based on feel and hearing.

Naked vs faired? There are times I wish I had a fairing (biking or full) as when you'rte riding in a good head or cross wind, it does get a little gusty, oh all right, it gets damn scary at times, but that's what motorcycling is about for me. When you're on a naked, ripping it up with the wind howling, engine screaming and kays evaproating beneath you, there ain't nothing like it :niceone:

Commuting it's top of the board. Upright position lets you see everything around you. Masses of torque means you're not chopping through the gears every 2 seconds, just put er in 3rd and go. It's also narrow enough to fit (almost) any gap.

:done:

dawnrazor
3rd October 2005, 14:35
a 250 v twin, its a big ask to get any go out of that lump, they look good would suspect that they don't have much pep compared to a 250 single.

nudemetalz
3rd October 2005, 22:52
The VTR's are quite detuned from my model VTR (which is the equivalent VT-250FG) to the tune of about 8hp. Quite a bit when you only have 43 to start with. However they do look great.

Vilicus
6th October 2005, 13:29
I'm a little late in posting my opinion, but here goes....I would class the VTR as almost THE perfect bike to learn and grow on. Its got a very neutral riding position, so it wont do your back in and you've got great visibility for commuting. It ain't the fastest 250 out there, but it's what you do with it that counts, and it handles like a champion through the twisties, even with my portly frame aboard.

Don't be put off that bikes wihtout tachos aren't true sport bikes. If you're riding hard (or properly), you want to be watching the road, not seeing how many RPMs you're doing, and you will learn where the best change points are based on feel and hearing.

Naked vs faired? There are times I wish I had a fairing (biking or full) as when you'rte riding in a good head or cross wind, it does get a little gusty, oh all right, it gets damn scary at times, but that's what motorcycling is about for me. When you're on a naked, ripping it up with the wind howling, engine screaming and kays evaproating beneath you, there ain't nothing like it :niceone:

Commuting it's top of the board. Upright position lets you see everything around you. Masses of torque means you're not chopping through the gears every 2 seconds, just put er in 3rd and go. It's also narrow enough to fit (almost) any gap.

:done:

thanks alot, it really helps. i am so tired of driving... hope i can get a bike before my birthday, i am still waiting to get my 4500 dollars back from a car dealer.