PDA

View Full Version : Auckland's Super City

awa355
7th May 2015, 14:55
A 9.9% rise in rates. Has anyone living in Auckland found it to be a cheaper, more efficient place to live in since becoming a 'Super City'?

Now some of the powers that be in Wellington want to do the same. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

f2dz
7th May 2015, 15:10
Simply put: Nope.

5ive
7th May 2015, 15:39
It's cheap as, just increase the cost of the rent your tenants are paying to cover the costs.

There's always someone else to pay for things, the Auckland Council agrees.

Voltaire
7th May 2015, 15:47
I've noticed that Penny Hulse seems to have taken over from " Pants Down Brown" as the face of the Council.

5ive
7th May 2015, 15:50
I'd laugh if he tried running for mayor again.

Gadget1
7th May 2015, 15:53
I'd laugh if he tried running for mayor again.

He's deluded enough to try it.

awa355
7th May 2015, 16:01
Banksy is thinking of having a go next time around. A choice of a turd or a shit to pick from.
I simply do not see any affordable solutions for Aucklands problems.

jasonu
7th May 2015, 16:04
He's deluded enough to try it.

But he'd prolly get in.

Banksy is thinking of having a go next time around. A choice of a turd or a shit to pick from.

Exactly. Best of a bad bunch...

Swoop
7th May 2015, 16:10
Has anyone living in Auckland found it to be a cheaper, more efficient place to live in since becoming a 'Super City'?

Now some of the powers that be in Wellington want to do the same. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Personally, the rates went down. This is because Westies were being arse-raped by the Waitakere council and their personal brand of lunacy.
Sadly, other fools voted in a south Auckland fuckwit as mayor.

Wellington. Don't fall for the trap. (Would you like a Mayor - already experienced at running a super-city?)

It's cheap as, just increase the cost of the rent your tenants are paying to cover the costs.
This is precisely why a Capital Gains Tax won't work. The landlords will not take a loss via the tax department (the other one, not the road-based one...) and will simply increase rental rates substantially. The gubbinment realise this already and refuse to push the idea forward.

Gadget1
7th May 2015, 16:13

Apparently Phil Goff might have a go.

Big cities have big problems, that the way it goes.

Akzle
7th May 2015, 16:14

lulz.

rockstar economoney.

don't vote ax.

Akzle
7th May 2015, 16:17
This is because Westies were being arse-raped by the Waitakere council and their personal brand of lunacy.

yeah. clean air and planting trees and having greenspace and not concreting over every fucken thing is a looney-tune.

rather "they paid a premium to not live so much as stinking shit hole city dwellers"

Moi
7th May 2015, 17:36
Some of the impediments to Auckland's transport and other infrastructure solutions are 1. a three year electoral cycle and 2. lack of forward vision.

Can't see the first being sorted in my life time... However, the second is being tackled at present by Len, though he doesn't have the charisma of old Robbie... If Robbie had had his way, things today would be very different...

Super city for Wellington - why not? I'd strongly suggest they could have Rodney for mayor!

Gadget1
7th May 2015, 17:45
Some of the impediments to Auckland's transport and other infrastructure solutions are 1. a three year electoral cycle and 2. lack of forward vision.

Can't see the first being sorted in my life time... However, the second is being tackled at present by Len, though he doesn't have the charisma of old Robbie... If Robbie had had his way, things today would be very different...

Super city for Wellington - why not? I'd strongly suggest they could have Rodney for mayor!

The biggest impediment is the lack of recall legislation for ratbag Mayors like Len Brown.

mashman
7th May 2015, 18:17
Ya getz what ya payz for. You want better, then pay for it... coz it's the only avenue open to ya for obtaining better :killingme

Gadget1
7th May 2015, 18:38
Ya getz what ya payz for. You want better, then pay for it... coz it's the only avenue open to ya for obtaining better :killingme

Ever heard of cost reduction strategies?

Moi
7th May 2015, 18:50
The biggest impediment is the lack of recall legislation for ratbag Mayors like Len Brown.

What makes Len a 'ratbag'?

mashman
7th May 2015, 18:56
Ever heard of cost reduction strategies?

Is this comedy hour or somethin? Yes I have.

JimO
7th May 2015, 19:20
obviously there is no where else to live in NZ

Voltaire
7th May 2015, 19:48

The rest of you need to make your places more attractive to immigrants.:banana:

1: build more Asian supermarkets
2 : pay more than the minimum wage.
3: ummmmm

Gadget1
7th May 2015, 19:49
What makes Len a 'ratbag'?

Apparently, he lied about the rates (promised 2.5% capped, now 9.9%), broke Council's code of conduct over $40,000 worth of free hotel rooms and upgrades plus abused his position of power regarding the appointment of Bevan Chuang and ensuing affair.

Gadget1
7th May 2015, 19:52
Is this comedy hour or somethin? Yes I have.

So your earlier post about paying is the only way of making things better is incorrect then?

Moi
7th May 2015, 20:21
Apparently, he lied about the rates (promised 2.5% capped, now 9.9%), broke Council's code of conduct over $40,000 worth of free hotel rooms and upgrades plus abused his position of power regarding the appointment of Bevan Chuang and ensuing affair.

OK, let's keep the rate rise at 2.5% and forget about doing something about the traffic issues - won't worry me as I'm retired and don't need to deal with commuting... and live in a well-established area where the infrastructure is already in place...

as for the $40 000 and Bevan - he was a silly man but don't think 'ratbag' is what I call him. However, probably not as tough as what Mrs Len may have called him...

98tls
7th May 2015, 20:31

Take a walk through Riccarton mall.

mashman
7th May 2015, 20:38
So your earlier post about paying is the only way of making things better is incorrect then?

Why are they asking for more money if they have all of these wonderful cost reduction strategies available to them?

Delerium
7th May 2015, 20:39
A 9.9% rise in rates. Has anyone living in Auckland found it to be a cheaper, more efficient place to live in since becoming a 'Super City'?

Nope, Len is a fucking loon that needs his ass kicked out, along with half the council. Shit can 50% of the staff over on 100k and half the waste spent on consultants and we wont need any rates rises as well as being able to pay for the transport plan.

Delerium
7th May 2015, 20:41
I've noticed that Penny Hulse seems to have taken over from " Pants Down Brown" as the face of the Council.

I suspect its because len is finally getting it through his thick head that Auckland does not love him, in fact we hate his guts and he wont get re-elected

Delerium
7th May 2015, 20:42

get rid of the excess of staff paid over a hundred grand. the productivity in the council is a disgrace. If I achieved that little in a working day I would be on my arse.

Moi
7th May 2015, 20:43
Take a walk through Riccarton mall.

Why?

10chars...

Delerium
7th May 2015, 20:45

and has previously had his credit card taken off of him due to abuse. And kept his job after shagging around on council property while others lost their ob for the same, and cant control ports of Auckland, a council CONTROLED organization, and cheated on his wife after campaigning on family values. The survey regarding the Auckland transport plan was a disgraceful piece of work typical of his MO>

Akzle
7th May 2015, 21:49

you dont understand the question

Gadget1
7th May 2015, 21:52
Why are they asking for more money if they have all of these wonderful cost reduction strategies available to them?

You didn't answer my question so why should I answer yours?

But seriously, as Delerium very well put it, Len's a fucking loon. He wants a monument to his ego. The fact is, no city in the world has managed to build its way out of congestion by building more roads.

Jin
7th May 2015, 21:58
Rodney Hide has got a lot to answer for. The Super City was his idea to lower rate increases. He thought a centralised bureaucracy would be efficient and cost effective. Fucking idiot.

mashman
7th May 2015, 22:04
You didn't answer my question so why should I answer yours?

But seriously, as Delerium very well put it, Len's a fucking loon. He wants a monument to his ego. The fact is, no city in the world has managed to build its way out of congestion by building more roads.

You want a real answer eh :shifty:. Under a Resource Based Economy there would be other ways of making things better, without it needing to cost anything other than the manpower and time that was going to be spent doing the very thing you can't because of budget constraint. So yes, given all of the shades of gray, I was knowingly incorrect.

They're all fuckin loons. I see no vision.

Scuba_Steve
7th May 2015, 22:04
He thought a centralised bureaucracy would be efficient and cost effective. Fucking idiot.

Maybee, but probably not... He may have said "centralised bureaucracy would be efficient and cost effective" but he probably knew better.

Jin
7th May 2015, 22:11
Maybee, but probably not... He may have said "centralised bureaucracy would be efficient and cost effective" but he probably knew better.
He made it clear at the time he thought it would. And he didnt know better.

Gadget1
7th May 2015, 22:14

The idea was good in theory but it was a rush job with no vote or consent from ratepayers.

Also, Rodney Hide was just the puppet, Steven Joyce was actually pulling the strings on behalf of the Government.

Scuba_Steve
8th May 2015, 08:30
I don't think there's been a "super city" that has worked yet has there??? So to think Auckland (& now Wellington) would work is either naive & ignorant or it does work, just not for the people & not as described

I don't know how it worked in Auckland but I'm seeing in Wellington the vast majority are against it so of-course they're moving forward with it... "democracy" at work

Gadget1
8th May 2015, 09:05
I don't think there's been a "super city" that has worked yet has there??? So to think Auckland (& now Wellington) would work is either naive & ignorant or it does work, just not for the people & not as described

I don't know how it worked in Auckland but I'm seeing in Wellington the vast majority are against it so of-course they're moving forward with it... "democracy" at work

I don't know much about it globally, apart from Toronto and Queensland but they haven't worked afaik. In fact in Queensland, they're starting to de-amalgamate. My understanding is, just like what happened in NZ, the people weren't asked etc.

Delerium
8th May 2015, 19:27
Rodney Hide has got a lot to answer for. The Super City was his idea to lower rate increases. He thought a centralised bureaucracy would be efficient and cost effective. Fucking idiot.

Haha, yep, definitely this. The fact that Auckland didn't have a choice has resulted in no buy in from the ratepayers too.