PDA

View Full Version : Grass Track.

Motu
21st September 2005, 10:55
Grass track died out many years ago in NZ,but looks like it's alive and well in Pommy land,they use a speedway style bike with more suspension and gears,and have sidecar classes as well.Couldn't resist this shot of the guy totaly out of shape,total commitment....Grass Track (http://pub33.bravenet.com/photocenter/album.php?usernum=2778777759&album=31827)

DemonWolf
21st September 2005, 10:56
looks like he's broken his leg... nice one

N4CR
21st September 2005, 11:10
I saw a video of that on an old archive tape at my neighbors - a scotsman won the one I watched :(

They were incredibly skilled riders - wheelieng and doing massive jumps along grass while cross country/grass racing. Would be awesome to see in real life.

White trash
21st September 2005, 11:27
Don't they call it miniature TT racing here now Motu? You just change the tyres on your 'crosser and go for it.

I've seen guys doing 70-80mph, feet up, fully broadside. Cool to watch and easy to get into.

Might be something completelt different of course.

Paul in NZ
21st September 2005, 11:34
I had a go at this in the 70's on a proper Alf hagan framed BSA running dope.

Same as a speedway bike except gear box and rear suspension. You were not allowed brakes then but i think that changed.

Scary stuff - but fun...

I sucked and the hot TM400's were too good a total package, ie I was faster in a straight line but lacked to gonads to drift on the rough track. You could not really do the foot out speedway thing as the clumps and bumps would rip you leg off....

pete376403
21st September 2005, 11:36
the one and only grass event I rode was years ago at a horse racing track in Masterton. Using my speedway bike (ie no rear suspension and about an inch of front suspension). the track looked lovely - nice grass but f*ck but it was ROUGH underneath. Horses can put up with a lot. I though Te Marua after a stock car race was bad, but by comparision, you could play snooker on Te Marua. I did a couple of races and parked it and that was that. I would have loved to have had a go on the trotting track at Hutt Park, that was smooth wide and l-o-n-g.

White trash
21st September 2005, 11:38
the one and only grass event I rode was years ago at a horse racing track in Masterton. Using my speedway bike (ie no rear suspension and about an inch of front suspension). the track looked lovely - nice grass but f*ck but it was ROUGH underneath. Horses can put up with a lot. I though Te Marua after a stock car race was bad, but by comparision, you could play snooker on Te Marua. I did a couple of races and parked it and that was that. I would have loved to have had a go on the trotting track at Hutt Park, that was smooth wide and l-o-n-g.

Yeah, the Harley boys had a good event there years ago. It looked like a hell of a laugh.

LB
22nd September 2005, 05:10
One of my mates who raced speedway sidecars here for many years spent a year in the UK in the mid 90's and did grass track over there.