PDA

View Full Version : "Traffic engineering"? Yeah right

R650R
16th May 2015, 10:21
Its high time someone went through transit offices with a broom and got rid of people responsible for the various disasters we have masquerading as intersections.

We have been putting up with this disaster http://www.nzherald.co.nz/hawkes-bay-today/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503462&objectid=11449235 in HB for over ten years now, apparently its in the top 5 of 100 to be 'fixed'.
What is an acceptable timeframe in peoples minds of from when a problem intersection is realised to implementing a solution. I reckon three years at the most and after that we need OSH or a Graham Mccready type to private prosecute the officials responsible for sitting on their butts doing nothing.
This intersection really needs a roundabout and a feeder lane from the airport to eliminate the next junction up the road, pretty damn simple. To top it off the band aid approaches of plastic lane markers and 80k speed limit seems to have just created a new set of issues on top and not really effected much change.

Aside from having a rant, post your well known dangerous intersections so others can be aware, especially if they are recent constructs in last 10-15 years by the expert designers of the new millennium...

https://www.google.co.nz/maps/@-39.4719019,176.8791132,1720m/data=!3m1!1e3

bogan
16th May 2015, 11:46
If those fucking truckies would pay their way maybe the roading budget could cover fixing their damage and improving high-risk intersections... :whistle:

FJRider
16th May 2015, 12:58
According to the link ...

Constable Marty Lack said the campervan driver had stopped to give way while exiting Meeanee Quay and had then driven on to the Expressway to head north, but was struck towards the rear by the southbound car, which had braked heavily to try to avoid the collision.

The campervan obviously did NOT give way (STOP signs are shown on Google maps) to the south bound car. Idiot driver issues in the area ... rather than bad road engineering ...

Perhaps they should declare it a Black spot and reduce the speed limit there ...

In the meantime ... I shall avoid that area ... just to be safe.

Moi
16th May 2015, 13:30
Again, a crash is reported but where are the facts so a sound evidence-based conclusion can be drawn?

R650R
16th May 2015, 13:35
If those fucking truckies would pay their way maybe the roading budget could cover fixing their damage and improving high-risk intersections... :whistle:

Trucks and trucking companies pay exponentially way more towards roading infrastructure than cars and bikes who are effectively the welfare bludgers of the roading world in comparison.

Zedder
16th May 2015, 13:35

And chuck some more traffic lights at the problem, at least they can put revenue..I mean, safety cameras on them...

bogan
16th May 2015, 13:37
Trucks and trucking companies pay exponentially way more towards roading infrastructure than cars and bikes who are effectively the welfare bludgers of the roading world in comparison.

No, they pay linearly more, but do exponentially more damage. Hence they are a net drain.

R650R
16th May 2015, 13:37
According to the link ...

The campervan obviously did NOT give way (STOP signs are shown on Google maps) to the south bound car. Idiot driver issues in the area ... rather than bad road engineering ...

Perhaps they should declare it a Black spot and reduce the speed limit there ...

In the meantime ... I shall avoid that area ... just to be safe.

People will make mistakes, it would be very prudent to build a roundabout to reduce the speed at which collisions would occur.
It used to be 100km/h zone. It first got reduced to 80km/h then had those stupid vertical lane markers added which have done SFA and the later actually causing accidents as some people don't like driving into what appears to them as a narrow lane I guess....

Zedder
16th May 2015, 13:51
No, they pay linearly more, but do exponentially more damage. Hence they are a net drain.

Correct, a 40 tonne truck does many thousands of times more damage to the road than a car.

FJRider
16th May 2015, 13:52
People will make mistakes, it would be very prudent to build a roundabout to reduce the speed at which collisions would occur.
It used to be 100km/h zone. It first got reduced to 80km/h then had those stupid vertical lane markers added which have done SFA and the later actually causing accidents as some people don't like driving into what appears to them as a narrow lane I guess....

It's on an Expressway. A roundabout would only inhibit the smooth flow of traffic. There are a few being put in near Queenstown. Peak hour traffic gets reduced to a crawl.

A flyover or an underpass is better ... but costs more. But traffic from ALL directions keep moving

It never fails to supprise me ... how many believe they are not allowed to drive on the flush medians (or similar) ...

Stupid people and intersections are a bad combination.

FJRider
16th May 2015, 13:54
Again, a crash is reported but where are the facts so a sound evidence-based conclusion can be drawn?

Comments to that effect ... are not usually made if Court action is pending ...

FJRider
16th May 2015, 13:58
Correct, a 40 tonne truck does many thousands of times more damage to the road than a car.

Then petion the Government to spend the money recieved as (and paid as) ROAD TAX ... ON THE FUCKING ROADS ...

Moi
16th May 2015, 14:00
Comments to that effect ... are not usually made if Court action is pending ...

I understand that. However, unless you are able to attend that Court session you are very unlikely to hear the outcome. It is unlikely to be reported in the media. And so we are left wondering what did actually happen?

Moi
16th May 2015, 14:09
It's on an Expressway...

According to the map, the road to the north of the intersection is labelled as SH2 and Main North Rd and the road to the south of the intersection is labelled as SH2B and Napier-Hastings Expressway, it is not on an Expressway but it is the beginning of the Expressway.

There are several roundabouts on that Expressway, which I understand officially means a road with limited or controlled access, and so perhaps replacing that intersection with a roundabout would be a sensible move.

FJRider
16th May 2015, 14:12
I understand that. However, unless you are able to attend that Court session you are very unlikely to hear the outcome. It is unlikely to be reported in the media. And so we are left wondering what did actually happen?

The article would have been written BEFORE the court case. More newsworthy if the reader decides whom is guilty ...

FJRider
16th May 2015, 14:15
There are several roundabouts on that Expressway, which I understand officially means a road with limited or controlled access, and so perhaps replacing that intersection with a roundabout would be a sensible move.

He'll be bitching about the slowing of traffic on that road next ... if they do ... :rolleyes:

Tazz
16th May 2015, 14:17
Every intersection is potentially dangerous if you fuck it up.

Zedder
16th May 2015, 14:28
Then petion the Government to spend the money recieved as (and paid as) ROAD TAX ... ON THE FUCKING ROADS ...

I probably need my head read but I kinda missed this sort of thing. Afaik, there's a deficit of about a billion dollars for roading so petitioning won't fix it.

bogan
16th May 2015, 14:33
Every turn of a wheel .... means 6 feet further away .... or 6 feet closer to home ..

Not if you are traveling perpendicular to your home direction it doesn't!

FJRider
16th May 2015, 14:39
Not if you are traveling perpendicular to your home direction it doesn't!

You probably mean ... In a Radius ... :shifty:

bogan
16th May 2015, 14:45
You probably mean ... In a Radius ... :shifty:

No, because that is not a thing; you may have meant travelling at a specific radius from your house, but that is exactly what my explanation means anyway. Of course even vaguely not travelling along the direction of one's house cause the distance to be lower than 6 alleged feet...

Ulsterkiwi
16th May 2015, 16:58
well, said roading engineers 'fixed' the Otaihanga Road intersection with SH1 just North of Paraparaumu using a roundabout. I was living in the area before the roundabout was built. Anecdotally there have been more major incidents since it went in. Trucks overcooking the North bound camber and rolling have hit the news a few times.
Of course part of the problem is the average driver seems to be unable to either indicate or use lanes properly at a roundabout so that doesn't help the situation much.

Scuba_Steve
16th May 2015, 18:09
well, said roading engineers 'fixed' the Otaihanga Road intersection with SH1 just North of Paraparaumu using a roundabout. I was living in the area before the roundabout was built. Anecdotally there have been more major incidents since it went in.

Yea when it comes to the ever increasing colossal fuckups like that one you have to kinda wonder if the word "engineer" is just being thrown out like candy at a parade when it comes to roading... it must be like how Subway call their staff "artists" & Mobil call theirs "technicians" :facepalm:

bogan
16th May 2015, 18:10
Every turn of a wheel .... means 6 feet further away .... or 6 feet closer to home ..

Or if you are doing a Phat skid, au

Zedder
16th May 2015, 18:20
well, said roading engineers 'fixed' the Otaihanga Road intersection with SH1 just North of Paraparaumu using a roundabout. I was living in the area before the roundabout was built. Anecdotally there have been more major incidents since it went in. Trucks overcooking the North bound camber and rolling have hit the news a few times.
Of course part of the problem is the average driver seems to be unable to either indicate or use lanes properly at a roundabout so that doesn't help the situation much.

I'm not familiar with that area, but it looks like there's a need for what's called a traffic calming device prior to the roundabout.

swbarnett
17th May 2015, 15:45
With this line of thinking we should just all stay at home. Yes, people make mistakes and always will. The problem is that the more we dumb things down the more mistakes will be made.

R650R
1st October 2015, 05:37
Didn't take long, another dies at this SNAFU of an intersection described in the first post of this thread.
Although this time it s a cyclist moving as a pedestrian it highlights our halfway infrastructure in NZ. We've built these fancy cycleways but not made the access to them safe.
I think the 80 speed limit may have given them a false sense of security also. The sad thing is there is a safe alternate route to where they were likely going that has a crossing to the other side with an island very close by. Some simple signage could have prevented tragedy....

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/hawkes-bay/72582993/tourist-crossing-road-killed-by-truck-in-napier