PDA

View Full Version : VTR and R1

wkid_one
29th January 2004, 18:44
Yay - a new forum...

2000 VTR

Mods
Scorpian Pipes (after 2 Bros), tinted screen, motrax pegs, braided lines, sintered pads.

Verdict
Nice bike - was a jump from a 250cc. Easy to ride - pretty lazy actually. Had to respring the front as original springs are like 0.57 whereas I needed 0.87 for my weight. A bit too toury - but punted along when pushed. Heavy and hated a flat profile tyre - preferred a more parabolic tyre to help it turn in. Pushed a bit in the front. Too undersprung in the rear for pillion work as it resulted in wicked loss in ground clearance. Deeper sound than the TL's - more like a Duke sound. Comfortable riding position - not too much weight on the wrists. Didn't like quick left/right corners (or vice versa) coz of the weight.

Problems:
Only problem was a wire shaken loose on the wiring loom which resulted in one cylinder one firing.....easily fixed once identified.

Issues:
Extremely small tank, undersprung.
2002 R1

Mods
Micron Blue Titanium Fade Pipe, removed rear fender

Verdict
Excellent bike - well aggressive but easy ride. None of the 'flightiness' problems that were indicated - however at over 100kgs, this is a more weight than the average rider holding the front down (also many small changes in the 02 over the 01). Likes to lift the front coming on power out of corners (all the time). Really flickable and actually quite a tame bike. Although small in size - there is truck loads of space for the pilot to move around on.....
Easy to read dials but change light is a waste of time....
Hell wicked EFI with no stuttering anywhere in the rev range....
Simply some of the BEST brakes on any bike (Orange).
Small screen when travelling fast gives a bit of wind buffeting at over 150kph and hard for a bigger person (6'+ to tuck under)
I thoroughly enjoyed this bike.
You felt like you were riding this bike.....and it was great

Problems:
No really obvious ones. Tank is a bit small for the R1 if you are doing miles......
Acceleration on the bike is a bit hectic and brutal, esp out of corners.

Issues:
None at all.

tlronny
30th January 2004, 05:42
If you had bought the red one in the first place you wouldn't have dissed the VTR so much eh !! :brick: