PDA

View Full Version : gn250 fuse keeps blowing

baddeley
19th May 2015, 15:03
Hey everyone, new the the forums, new to motorcycles :rolleyes:
I got given a 2007 gn250, it had been off the road for 5 years now. I managed to push it home, change the gas and put a new spark plug in and she started first pop with a jumpstart (dome 17km a with no problems). I went out to go out the following day, so I let the bike warm after about 5 minutes it turned itself off. No chugging no nothing it just died, I checked the fuse (only fuse I've been able to find) and it was blown thinking it was an easy fix I went and got a new fuse connected it but before I could even put it in properly it had already blown. I've tried unplugging all the wires and reconnecting a new fuse but same thing happens. Can't see any damages wires either. This is driving me insane, I've been having so much fun on the bike (never ridden one before this) and I just want to get going again. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

Akzle
19th May 2015, 16:02
you have a short. find it and fix it.

baddeley
19th May 2015, 18:07
you have a short. find it and fix it.

I think I have found the problem, I've fully disconnected another thing and now I can get power to the bike and even turn it on. Everything runs fine without this item plugged in, can someone please tell me what it is and what it does and weather or not I need to replace it asap or if it can wait a little bit. Here's a photo, http://postimg.org/image/s7uhpqilj/a3fb2b8e/

FJRider
19th May 2015, 18:25
I have a short penis. I can't find it and fix it.

There ... fixed it for you ..

Akzle
19th May 2015, 18:26
looks like a rectifier. It charges your battery.

FJRider
19th May 2015, 18:27
I think I have found the problem, I've fully disconnected another thing and now I can get power to the bike and even turn it on. Everything runs fine without this item plugged in, can someone please tell me what it is and what it does and weather or not I need to replace it asap or if it can wait a little bit. Here's a photo, http://postimg.org/image/s7uhpqilj/a3fb2b8e/

It's a hoo-dacky ... and essential for every motorcycle ....

neels
19th May 2015, 18:39
Its the rectifier/regulator, bike should run without it but won't charge the battery. The three yellow wires come from the alternator, if you have a multimeter it would pay to check if any of them are shorted to ground, but more likely the unit itself as a faulty alternator wouldn't usually cause the battery fuse to blow, would show as a short from the output wire to the case

baddeley
19th May 2015, 19:50
Its the rectifier/regulator, bike should run without it but won't charge the battery. The three yellow wires come from the alternator, if you have a multimeter it would pay to check if any of them are shorted to ground, but more likely the unit itself as a faulty alternator wouldn't usually cause the battery fuse to blow, would show as a short from the output wire to the case
Awesome! Thanks heaps!!
I got a new battery, it wouldn't damage it without it equipped? And so this is all I need? http://m.ebay.com/itm/281312284189?nav=SEARCH
Just looking at ebay and the prices range from $20-$130 this shouldn't make a difference in the quality?? They both look the same to me :/ thanks for the help again, so happy I can hope back on the bike again, hopefully I'll get further then 17km before the next problem rises haha

baddeley
19th May 2015, 20:09
Awesome! Thanks heaps!!
I got a new battery, it wouldn't damage it without it equipped? And so this is all I need? http://m.ebay.com/itm/281312284189?nav=SEARCH
Just looking at ebay and the prices range from $20-$130 this shouldn't make a difference in the quality?? They both look the same to me :/ thanks for the help again, so happy I can hope back on the bike again, hopefully I'll get further then 17km before the next problem rises haha
Forgot to mention I don't have a volt metre, is there any other way to test it? Took me a good 12 fuses to find the problem in the first place

jellywrestler
19th May 2015, 21:07
looks like a rectifier. It charges your battery.

rectifiers simply change power from AC to DC, the alternator charges your battery, and the regulator monitors the rate of charge

jellywrestler
19th May 2015, 21:08
Forgot to mention I don't have a volt metre, is there any other way to test it? Took me a good 12 fuses to find the problem in the first place

don't waster fuses, use a circuit breaker or a bulb in series with a fuse to limit the overlaod while tracing the fault

Akzle
20th May 2015, 01:27
rectifiers simply change power from AC to DC, the alternator charges your battery, and the regulator monitors the rate of charge

not strictly true. Then. Neither was what i said.

op, go and buy a multimeter and learn to use it.

Akzle
20th May 2015, 03:54

Big Dog
20th May 2015, 11:38
Second the multimeter.
$20 will get you one that does the job. Nothing bites more than paying $100 to wait 2 -3 weeks for the wrong part.

Someone correct me if I am wrong: The same condition could be caused by the stator having a short but the loop opened by having the reg/rec disconnected.

As to do $20 reg/rec work the same as $120 ones?
If they are the same brand and model yes. If they are different models their could be a difference in materials (more a durability risk than function risk) or the more expensive one may be more expensive because of branding.
A higher durability after market one for my bike would cost me less than oem, but only by half.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

FJRider
20th May 2015, 18:32

You're repeating your self .. again ... ;)

Akzle
20th May 2015, 18:57
You're repeating your self .. again ... ;)

you're repeating me repeating myself... again...

FJRider
20th May 2015, 19:00
you're repeating me repeating myself... again...

Silly me ... once of you is too much ... :whistle:

neels
20th May 2015, 20:43
Someone correct me if I am wrong: The same condition could be caused by the stator having a short but the loop opened by having the reg/rec disconnected.
Was pondering the same thing myself, but as the output is usually via a diode bridge there should be no circuit back through the rec/reg to the stator from the output.

Another vague thought is that if there was a circuit back to the stator then the battery could discharge back through the rec/reg when the engine isn't running?

Big Dog
21st May 2015, 00:39
A bit above my pay grade electro tickle wise.
I just looked up some videos about how to test the reg rec on you tube. More than one suggested there was no point testing the reg rec without testing the stator. Your already in the right place with the right covers off.
One of them suggested an earthing stator could look like bad reg rec if not tested. Symptoms are the same he said except your reg rec tests right.

Akzle
21st May 2015, 07:13
output is usually via a diode bridge

what do you think 'rectifier' means?

To test um stator, check for cuntinuity to ground from teh output wires.
Measure also the ohms through windings -should be equal between pairs. If open circuit then windings fucked, not expected with your symptoms.

Zedder
21st May 2015, 08:05

Measure also the ohms through windings -should be equal between pairs. If open circuit then windings fucked, not expected with your symptoms.

If you're involved, rectifier means your interest in rectums and AC/DC is an element of your sexual orientation.

jellywrestler
21st May 2015, 10:21

are gn250's single of three phase alternators?

baddeley
21st May 2015, 11:17
Was pondering the same thing myself, but as the output is usually via a diode bridge there should be no circuit back through the rec/reg to the stator from the output.

Another vague thought is that if there was a circuit back to the stator then the battery could discharge back through the rec/reg when the engine isn't running?

After removing the regulator/rectifier and I noticed the ground wire wasn't actually attached properly to the reg/rec. Could that be my course of a short, causing the fuse to blow? Thanks for all the help guys.

Trolls will be trolls lol first post and so many trolls :/

Big Dog
21st May 2015, 13:09
They see me trolling, they be hating. Lol.

I don't expect an output issue on your stator either but if it is earthing where it should not it would be ideal if the fuse popped.

Your comment about it popping before the engine is started is intriguing and makes me wonder what else is in that loop because stator is idle and it should just be things in the same loop as the headlight etc. At least until you hit the starter.

Big Dog
21st May 2015, 13:09
Does the fuse blow on the key or the starter?

baddeley
22nd May 2015, 09:30
Hey everyone, new the the forums, new to motorcycles :rolleyes:
I got given a 2007 gn250, it had been off the road for 5 years now. I managed to push it home, change the gas and put a new spark plug in and she started first pop with a jumpstart (dome 17km a with no problems). I went out to go out the following day, so I let the bike warm after about 5 minutes it turned itself off. No chugging no nothing it just died, I checked the fuse (only fuse I've been able to find) and it was blown thinking it was an easy fix I went and got a new fuse connected it but before I could even put it in properly it had already blown. I've tried unplugging all the wires and reconnecting a new fuse but same thing happens. Can't see any damages wires either. This is driving me insane, I've been having so much fun on the bike (never ridden one before this) and I just want to get going again. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

Fixed!! Thanks guys! Turns out it was the reg/rec. Mechanic/Electrician said "The positive and negative terminals mount together if the reg/rec is broken, cause the fuse (only fuse) to blow instantly"

Success with my first post :shifty: