PDA

View Full Version : New ACC rego component unfair?

20th May 2015, 11:04
Just seen the new ACC Levy bands for rego component. Is it me or do owners of non petrol vehicles (ie. Diesels) are getting screwed? Is it really that a 94 Isuzu Bighorn 3.1 Diesel is more dangerous to drive then a 94 Bighorn 3.2 V6 petrol? (Almost by a $100 extra) And don't tell me it is because we don't pay ACC at the pump for diesel. My RUC's are paying for this. Does the government really take us for utter idiots that they think we won't notice or care? Is there another explanation for the difference? Someone suggested that statistically if you own a diesel suv you more likely take it off road and get hurt. But all the guys in the 4WD club prefer and in fact drive petrol suv's cause they are more powerful and faster. So there is no logic there really

nodrog
20th May 2015, 12:06
Just seen the new ACC Levy bands for rego component. Is it me or do owners of non petrol vehicles (ie. Diesels) are getting screwed? Is it really that a 94 Isuzu Bighorn 3.1 Diesel is more dangerous to drive then a 94 Bighorn 3.2 V6 petrol? (Almost by a $100 extra) And don't tell me it is because we don't pay ACC at the pump for diesel. My RUC's are paying for this. Does the government really take us for utter idiots that they think we won't notice or care? Is there another explanation for the difference? Someone suggested that statistically if you own a diesel suv you more likely take it off road and get hurt. But all the guys in the 4WD club prefer and in fact drive petrol suv's cause they are more powerful and faster. So there is no logic there really

Just put your diesel Rego on the same payment option as your motorcycle rego.

scott411
20th May 2015, 12:29

I did not think RUC had a ACC levy, but petrol does, so that is the difference,

Erelyes
20th May 2015, 13:13
Road User Charges are just that, for using the road. No ACC is included.

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/registration-licensing/ruc/overview.html

pzkpfw
20th May 2015, 13:16
From: http://www.transport.govt.nz/land/roadusercharges/light-petrol-vs-diesel/

The difference in Annual Vehicle Licence fees between equivalent vehicles with different fuels is because there is also a 9.9 cents per litre ACC levy on every litre of petrol, which does not apply to diesel or road user charges.

ACC levies are set so that a diesel vehicle travelling the average distance per year is subject to the same ACC levies per year as a petrol vehicle. However, this is an average, and some vehicles will be subject to more, and some less, depending on how much they travel. The calculator available at the top of this page will help you calculate how much you will pay for the two different fuel types.

SPman
20th May 2015, 20:07
If they just included the RUC for vehicles up to 3t in the price of diesel, like the rest of the world does, there'd be no problem! Diesel's currently cheaper over here than 91 (incl road tax)..

Akzle
20th May 2015, 20:13
diesel exhaust causes cancer.

Nicely done, gay al.

Black Knight
22nd May 2015, 11:48
From: http://www.transport.govt.nz/land/roadusercharges/light-petrol-vs-diesel/

So I have just worked out the difference for my trusty 96 Hilux--it is $82.73 and at 9.9c per litre (say 10c) that is 827 litres of diesel per year-there is no way I am using that amount-What a rip-No wonder they don't want to simply apply the 9.9c per litre at the pump.

Mike.Gayner
22nd May 2015, 14:00
So I have just worked out the difference for my trusty 96 Hilux--it is $82.73 and at 9.9c per litre (say 10c) that is 827 litres of diesel per year-there is no way I am using that amount-What a rip-No wonder they don't want to simply apply the 9.9c per litre at the pump.

16L per week is hardly unreasonable.

Erelyes
22nd May 2015, 15:00

Even at 10L/100km that's less than 10,000km a year. :bye: