PDA

View Full Version : Valve guide lube.

mossy1200
25th May 2015, 21:12
I was thinking about bikes from the past and remember my mate had to use valve squeeze injections on his enfield when they took lead out of petrol. Everyone was putting an injection in for every 20 litres petrol on older vehicles. What happened to this method? Did they add something extra in petrol later to do away with the injection lube?

mashman
25th May 2015, 21:17
Fuck, that's set me back a few years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXBsUOysL3c

Laava
25th May 2015, 21:18
Think they found that "valve seat recession" happened at approx the same rate as valve train wear so that valve clearances didn't need doing as often meaning that things worked out OK really!
My V8 mech neighbour reckons that anyway and also made the point that the biggest problems were from people fitting new extra hard valve seats to cope with the unleaded. There was the odd one popping out and causing carnage apparently.

Voltaire
25th May 2015, 21:22
I was thinking about bikes from the past and remember my mate had to use valve squeeze injections on his enfield when they took lead out of petrol. Everyone was putting an injection in for every 20 litres petrol on older vehicles. What happened to this method? Did they add something extra in petrol later to do away with the injection lube?

I think it was really only for cars with iron heads and no hardened valve seats, I've run 70's BMW's and VW's on unleaded for years and they don't seem to have so called " valve seat recession"

mossy1200
25th May 2015, 21:24
The squirts were a dollar each in an orange syringe and this is back when pies at the dairy were less than that. Im feeling ripped off.

swarfie
25th May 2015, 21:40
The squirts were a dollar each in an orange syringe and this is back when pies at the dairy were less than that. Im feeling ripped off.

I made the moulds for those syringes and the orange bottles with the silver tip tops. The company I work for probably made a small fortune out of that project when the so called valve seat recession was a HUGE problem :killingme when they first introduced unleaded fuel. My old man has been running LPG in his L300 Mitsy for years and never had any problem and there's no lube for vavles in LPG. I've still got a bottle of that sticky kerosene shit in my shed somewhere...waste of time IMHO.

Flip
25th May 2015, 21:54
Depends on the motor.

Most BMC A and B series had very soft valve seats and needed leaded fuel. The lead stops the red hot exhaust valve spot welding itself into the head and being broken out every time the valve opens. Its like an anti-flux.

Valve master was a Dupont fuel system detergent that was found to prevent valve errosion by accident. You can still buy it at Repco and I still use it in the old MG and Austin 7. It works but if I am on a track I run leadded fuel.

I would say as a rule of thumb that if the vehicle had an aluminium head it would have hard valve seats.

swarfie
25th May 2015, 22:05
We've got a '62 MG Midget and never had any bother with VSR.....mind you the missus doesn't use it now so it's got to go.....anyone interested? Original 948cc donk's been fully reco'd including crank grind, new shells, rebore and new slugs, new oil and water pumps and radiator flush out. I even made new rocker spindles and bushes. Wobbly old POS to drive but a bit of a grin all the same.:woohoo:

I'll even throw in a bottle of Valve Master for the lucky new owner;)

Christ I'll never make a car salesman.....too frigging honest.

Grumph
26th May 2015, 09:59
We've got a '62 MG Midget and never had any bother with VSR.....mind you the missus doesn't use it now so it's got to go.....anyone interested? Original 948cc donk's been fully reco'd including crank grind, new shells, rebore and new slugs, new oil and water pumps and radiator flush out. I even made new rocker spindles and bushes. Wobbly old POS to drive but a bit of a grin all the same.:woohoo:

I'll even throw in a bottle of Valve Master for the lucky new owner;)

Christ I'll never make a car salesman.....too frigging honest.

Pull a wheel off it and sell it as a pre 63 sidecar....

swarfie
26th May 2015, 10:08
Pull a wheel off it and sell it as a pre 63 sidecar....

Bwahahahahaha.....Like I said...it's a wobbly POS. I'd be falling off the track all over the place :facepalm::laugh:

Flip
26th May 2015, 11:19
You might find the bottom wishbone bushes are buggered.

Replacing these with new or even better urethanes improves the car 300%.

willytheekid
26th May 2015, 11:49
Bwahahahahaha.....Like I said...it's a wobbly POS. I'd be falling off the track all over the place :facepalm::laugh:

Sounds like the perfect match for Nodrog!:yes::laugh: