PDA

View Full Version : Auckland: Classic Races Pukekohe

MadDuck
29th January 2004, 20:59
Can anyone tell me when the classics are on this year? I had pencilled in for 7th of Feb which is next weekend but damned if I can find out much more detail.
Ta
The MadDuck

SPman
29th January 2004, 21:23
6th, 7th & 8th Feb.

http://www.nzcmrr.com

MadDuck
29th January 2004, 21:29
Thanks SPman...bit of a worry when it takes an effort for bikers to find when the events are on. See you all there?

Jackrat
29th January 2004, 22:05
It was advertized in BRM but I couldn't find it anywhere else.
John Surtees and Sammy Miller are both going to be there.
Only nine sleeps to go.
I can smell the oil on cast iron now :cool: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

What?
30th January 2004, 12:08
Last year I decided not to go this year, but now it is this year I've had a re-think. Hope it's fine - if so I will take my '83 CB1100 (just to prove it still goes...)

MadDuck
30th January 2004, 20:31
Cool what? and Jackrat. I will look out for you dont be scared I am not really mad just a looney.
So start time is usually 10am? - SPmans link doesnt seem to work

Redstar
30th January 2004, 20:43
I think it is taken as read as its always the first weekend in Feb? it gets more attended every year I,ve been to the last three. heaps to see and do I was a bit pissed off last year that on top of the $20 entry there was $5 to cross the bridge to the pits and the Pit side was less interesting than the year before. I reckon it would be better to build it into the entry and i recon if you go on sunday it should be cheaper again. but I'll go anyway. : :angry:

MadDuck
30th January 2004, 20:52
Redstar if you heading out on the 7th do ya wanna hook up and ride down together? You virtually my neighbour .. poor thing :crazy:

Jackrat
30th January 2004, 21:47
I try to go every year,get there early to watch folks arriving.
It's my Big day out.Will only go the first day,Don't like being ripped off!!
The price over the whole weekend has been an issue since day one.
I would look out for you's but don't know what ya' look like.
I'm 5/10, not much hair,mo' an goate,glasses an tat's up both arms.
Will be wearing Black leather jacket,black jeans,blue an white checked shirt an steel cap's.
Bloody ell I've just described half the people there :whistle: :o
Ahhhhh will be wearin's a lion red cap <_< :laugh:

matthewt
30th January 2004, 21:58
Bloody ell I've just described half the people there :whistle: :o

You know a pink ballet tutu would make you a lot easier to find :D

MadDuck
30th January 2004, 22:04
nah I prefer blue tutu myself..topless of course

SPman
31st January 2004, 12:17
Link works for me

Motu
3rd February 2004, 14:11
It's my big day out too,I've been going with many missed out since the first one,we used to camp out the whole weekend back then.I don't know which day I'll go,but seeing as it's on the friday as well I might go then.Dunno if I'll take bike or car - I just hate carrying all that gear around on a hot summer day.Maybe I'll ride down in shorts T shirt and jandals,that'd be cool.Now,what bike - XLV,XT or XS1....the old dog by default I reckon.

My brother will miss it by a couple of days,he comes out from Canada on wednesday,he'll miss not seeing the bikes and Sammy and Surtees.But he'll come to Paeroa anyway,so he'll still see some bike racing.Did he send you a message from 650garage Jack? we will be based in Waiuku.

If you see a nobody who doesn't warrant a second glance...look again,that's me.

Jackrat
3rd February 2004, 15:00
:Oops: :o Yeah I did get a message from over there.
An then stuffed up the reply an spat the dummy.
Look forward to meeting both of you though.
I'm only going on the saturday and will do Paeroa as well.

Redstar
4th February 2004, 18:44
Redstar if you heading out on the 7th do ya wanna hook up and ride down together? You virtually my neighbour .. poor thing :crazy:
I am going on sunday thats the 8th Ill meet ya at the mobile red beach say 10am? I have a wedding on sat so It will have to be 8th?

MadDuck
4th February 2004, 19:18
Damn shame Redstar ...me can only do Saturday. Maybe another time :scooter:

Motu
5th February 2004, 18:24
Looks like it's saturday for me too now,don't want to go sunday with all the crowds.Look out for this old clunker.

Ogri
5th February 2004, 19:16
Apparently, my other half has spoken to the guy that publishes the programme and he told him that the entry price is $ 25 whether you go Friday, Saturday or Sunday!!!! So............. if you go on Friday and pay $ 25 this same ticket will also get you in on Saturday and Sunday. So.................. $ 25 for a weekend pass!!! Does this make sense? So.................. there :eek:

Oh yeah, and Friday is practice day from 10 am till 4 pm

Jackrat
5th February 2004, 20:44
Yep,Iv'e been told the same thing $25.00 for the whole weekend.
I'm going to be parked across the road from the puke' cop shop around 10.00am So if ya' see me don't throw anything.
Hope to see ya'll there.

Motu
5th February 2004, 21:29
That's steep alright....um....but I just got a free pass tonight,but I won't be using it sunday..................They wanted me for the trials demo,but,ah....my bikes outa gas,no....the chains bent...ah,well,I'm too scared ok?

Jackrat
5th February 2004, 22:53
LOL,Yeah who wants to fall off in front of a crowd that big Huh!!

LB
6th February 2004, 03:42
We're going Fri PM/Saturday only, so if anyone wants two tickets for Sunday, and we can organise it, let me know.

We'll be leaving the track around the end of the day on Saturday (maybe 4.30/5pm-ish?) and will be heading back south to spend the night in Morrinsville. So if we can easily meet up somewhere between the track and Morrinsville I'd be happy to give away the tickets.

mob 027 45 45 373
(leave a message if it's turned off as I'm riding Wgtn/Pukekohe today (Fri) )

Redstar
6th February 2004, 15:54
We're going Fri PM/Saturday only, so if anyone wants two tickets for Sunday, and we can organise it, let me know.

We'll be leaving the track around the end of the day on Saturday (maybe 4.30/5pm-ish?) and will be heading back south to spend the night in Morrinsville. So if we can easily meet up somewhere between the track and Morrinsville I'd be happy to give away the tickets.

mob 027 45 45 373
(leave a message if it's turned off as I'm riding Wgtn/Pukekohe today (Fri) )
keen to save a bob when you leave you will surely go back via Pokeno? turn right when you leave the track. its quickest way back to Morrinsville and south now go to the shell station and leave the tickets in an envelope for Redstar and I'll send you the money cause I dont want a freebie but you might as well have one :msn-wink: If the tickets are not there no bother thanks for the thought. pity Madduck cant make sunday. But I have to go to a wedding on Saturday. Hey does the $25 include the Bridge pass?

Motu
7th February 2004, 18:21
What a great time I had today! Being a classic meeting I had to take a classic bike - my 1971 Yamaha XS1.As I'm parking the bike some guy walks up and says he used to own it - oh sure mate,that's what I say to everyone too.But after awhile I came to the conclusion that he really did own it before me,but more like 16yrs and not the 10 he said,I've had it atleast 14yrs.Someone in the crowd caught my eye,ugly people do that for me - it was Jackrat,a hand shake and greeting and then Undietaker (Andrew?) rolls up on his XS650.We now have a group of guys talking XS650 stuff - oh that's boring eh,so we all split...Jack and I go up to the stands on the hill to watch a few races,then we head back down to check out bikes and food.That's the last I see of Jack as a mate tries to run me down on his Guzzi,we gas for ages but then he goes to park his bike with others on the hill,I follow and dump my gear.Now I can go over the bridge and check out the pits.Oh no not yet,I meet more friends and waste more time.By the the time i get to the bridge I don't have to pay,that was worth the delay.

I just get off the bridge when I hear an ear splitting scream beside me - It's an MV Agusta,and that old man next to it is John Surtees! WOW!!! like,this man is a living legend,World Motorcycle Champion,World Formula One Champion,drove in F1 in cars bearing his own name,dueled with Bruce and Denny in CanAm,shee it guys,they don't come any better than Big John.But the MV is drowned out by another bike...and who's that old fart on it? yee haa! that's Sammy Miller,as a trials rider I put Sammy at the top of my list,no one who rides trials hasn't heard of Sammy Miller.The noise these bikes makes is an experiance all in itself,it's just fantastic - the guy next to me was out of it,reckoned he was having an adrenalin rush just being there.Ever hear about the hairs on the back of your neck standing up? yep,that's what happens alright.

I have met too any people today,for a guy with no friends I sure did a lot of talking....so didn't see as many bikes or as much racing as I usualy do,but it's a social event to some too.

Just a few pics,John Surtees and the MV,Sammy and the Gilera,and proof that sometimes Trigger can finish a few races on the um....well have a guess eh?

SpankMe
7th February 2004, 20:06
A good day. Some pictures I took with the rest in the gallery.

Jackrat
7th February 2004, 20:18
After a week of worry about the weather the day dawns fine.
Leave home with plenty of time to spare,having aranged to meet the Mad Duck in puke'.Get there expecting a wait but she's already there' choise.
I didn't really want to be standing on the side of the road wearing a leather jacket in Puke'.Might not last long Huh!!
We get there an I'm suprised at the lack of people.
After watching practice a while we go for food ect,I lose the Duck but find Motu,Not the best deal but what the hey.Motu is geting an ear bashing from a guy what reckons he used to own his bike.Motu shakes the dude off an starts yarning with Andrew from the MC graveyard,Another XS type.This leaves me with Mr ex owner,I now know most of that fella's life story but still don't know his name.He was a nice guy, but talk the ears off a corn field.
He stops for a breath an we make our escape for the hill.The racing starts for real and I'm most impressed with a couple of guys racing 3TA Triumphs.I use to own one of them things but it never went that hard,These things were flying.Go for another feed an lose Motu,These things happen at good races.
Standing by bike watching another race an the 3TAs are out there again,I'm taking note of one of them an thinking ya' just can't do that,An then it goes bang an goes up in a cloud of smoke.Dang thats why.
Well the day goes on,I got to see Surtees an he was every thing I'd exspected.Fast,Very fast.The sound of the big singles was worth the price of admission by them selfs,an then there was the Nortons,The Triumphs,The Velo's,BSAs,matchless,Vincents,HDs,Agustas,CZs,Hon das,suzuki,Yamaha,Kawa's,An that was just in the car park.
An talking of car parks,There was some poor wally in a comodore parked up against the fence with four lines of bikes behind him,Stuck as he could get.I watched him for about an hour waiting for a gap,Every time it looked like he may get out another couple of bikes would park up.Oh good shit,Topped
The day off nicely. :lol:

Kickaha
7th February 2004, 20:21
Anyone got any idea how John Blaymires and Dick Leppard or Colin Buckley and Darren got on in the classic sidecars?

PeteThePom
7th February 2004, 22:49
I am going on sunday thats the 8th Ill meet ya at the mobile red beach say 10am? I have a wedding on sat so It will have to be 8th?Oy RedStar!
I fancy a day out on the bike too!
Maybe I'll tag along.......

SpankMe
8th February 2004, 12:25
Well that was a short stay at the classics today. Soon afetr I get there it starts pissing down. :( so home I go. Oh well, I guess I get to catch up on some work on the site.

LB
8th February 2004, 18:50
keen to save a bob when you leave you will surely go back via Pokeno? turn right when you leave the track. its quickest way back to Morrinsville and south now go to the shell station and leave the tickets in an envelope for Redstar and I'll send you the money cause I dont want a freebie but you might as well have one :msn-wink: If the tickets are not there no bother thanks for the thought. pity Madduck cant make sunday. But I have to go to a wedding on Saturday. Hey does the $25 include the Bridge pass?
Redstar: I'm so sorry, we left Wgtn at 5.45am on Friday so I didn't see your posting, or I would have left the tickets for you. You would have been welcome to have had them as freebies, as we'd had two days worth out of them! Once again, so sorry I didn't see the posting.

LB
8th February 2004, 18:52
Just a few pics,John Surtees and the MV,Sammy and the Gilera,and proof that sometimes Trigger can finish a few races on the um....well have a guess eh?
Motu: you've caught Hamish (my husband) in the photo of the MV: he's in the Akubra hat, you can just see his head behind the guy with the blue long shorts and the blue t-shirt and the cream hat, holding the coffee in the brown container.

LB
8th February 2004, 18:58
I've just gotten back from the meeting. Too stuffed to write much, but we were there for a few hours Friday and all of Saturday.

Ride up Friday was good, left 5.45am and came up via Wanganui/Paraparas. Boy, it was freezing at National Park - I had to have two coffees and a pie to warm up. Then carried on via Otorohanga/Pirongia/Ngaruawahia. It was hot as shit at the track.

Saturday did some shopping at Motomail first thing then out to the track. Bumped into HEAPS of people I knew, and some I didn't (but do now). Including SpankMe!! (worth wearing your KB t-shirts guys, that's how I recognised Spank) Some amazing bikes both on and off the track. The MV sounded so so so different.

Rode back today from Morrinsville (sorry you missed me there on your ride FF) - it was fine to Te Kuiti then it pissed down. We came back via Taranaki as the sky looked slightly better that way. Mt Messenger was greasy as shit, it was real tippy-toe stuff. It was wet up to Inglewood. Then from Bulls onwards it was bumper-to-bumper cage traffic, there was some sort of armed offenders thing going on by the Brown Sugar Cafe at Otaki, cop cars with lights flashing for Africa, brought the traffic to a complete stop for ages.

Off to bed now to catch up on zzz's before work again tomorrow.

A great weekend.

MadDuck
8th February 2004, 19:24
What an awesome day ...damn shame I couldnt head back there for Sundays racing. Great memories to hang on to. Some poor begger lost his chain right on the green light.

Thanks Jackrat for catching up with me. I guess outside the cop shop was a good call huh :msn-wink:

I am now pencilling in for next year as the racing was awesome and the crowd was much better in the afternoon. Shame I missed you Motu and Andrew.

Motu
8th February 2004, 19:25
Motu: you've caught Hamish (my husband) in the photo of the MV: he's in the Akubra hat, you can just see his head behind the guy with the blue long shorts and the blue t-shirt and the cream hat, holding the coffee in the brown container.

Shall I post the dozen shots I have of legs and bums in front of the MV and Gilera to see who else you can pick out? like a swarm of flies they wuz.

And related to the Voxan thread - was that you I saw talking to the dude with the Voxan at the end of the day? he was stuffing his face and started the bike and reved it for you from the left side? If so,sorry I missed you - I don't go around introducing myself to people I don't know on the off chance it may be some i don't know.

It was a good day though I reckon.

LB
9th February 2004, 05:18
And related to the Voxan thread - was that you I saw talking to the dude with the Voxan at the end of the day? he was stuffing his face and started the bike and reved it for you from the left side? If so,sorry I missed you - I don't go around introducing myself to people I don't know on the off chance it may be some i don't know.

It was a good day though I reckon.
Motu!!!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!! That was me!!!!!! What a shame I missed talking with you.

Are you going to Paeroa?

Redstar
9th February 2004, 20:11
Redstar: I'm so sorry, we left Wgtn at 5.45am on Friday so I didn't see your posting, or I would have left the tickets for you. You would have been welcome to have had them as freebies, as we'd had two days worth out of them! Once again, so sorry I didn't see the posting.no worries I went on sunday and it pissed with rain on the way there about lunch time but I carried on and bugger if the sun did'nt come out and it dried up nicely. and it was only $15 to get in they have finally dicovered marketing as a concept. so out came the sun and the latter programe was awsome I was old john Surtees and sammy miller do the deed and the britten on full song ginger Malloy winning as usual on his bultacco it was great if I was a bit lonesum :(

Motu
10th February 2004, 07:21
Motu!!!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!! That was me!!!!!! What a shame I missed talking with you.

Are you going to Paeroa?

When I got back to my bike there were only a couple of bikes left in the bike park.

Paeroa is on for sure,I want to do Pukemanu too,but will see what is happening closer to the date.

LB
10th February 2004, 19:25
Paeroa is on for sure,I want to do Pukemanu too,but will see what is happening closer to the date.
Motu: Let me know if you want an entry form for Pukemanu, I'm secretary to the event!