PDA

View Full Version : gsx250

drafted
21st September 2005, 21:41
Hi everyone, Ive just joined up here, because Im looking at buying a bike. I owned a GN250 a couple of years back, and im looking at another bike. Can anyone shed any light on the 2003 gsx-250. Are they cheaper than most other 250s in relation to their year because they are only a 2 cylinder? Is there any other reason why? Can any owners here give me some feedback? Im not after a superfast bike, something thats reliable, will get me to tauranga, or auckland easily from Hams. Any feedback or recomendations on other like bikes would be appreciated.

SARGE
22nd September 2005, 07:32
Hi everyone, Ive just joined up here, because Im looking at buying a bike. I owned a GN250 a couple of years back, and im looking at another bike. Can anyone shed any light on the 2003 gsx-250. Are they cheaper than most other 250s in relation to their year because they are only a 2 cylinder? Is there any other reason why? Can any owners here give me some feedback? Im not after a superfast bike, something thats reliable, will get me to tauranga, or auckland easily from Hams. Any feedback or recomendations on other like bikes would be appreciated.

they are nice bikes man.. good luck finding one though.

WildBoarMouse
22nd September 2005, 08:19
They're not a bad bike... and originally retailed for around the $6k mark. There are usually one or three of them on sale on trademe for between $3500 and $4500. I picked up a 2004 model with 5200km for $3600. They were made in china and are an inline two. Very economic on the fuel, and fairly comfortable to ride. They're quite a large 250 in comparison to something like a CBR. But this isn't a bad thing if you're not a small person. They're about 180kg (which is fairly heavy), but this isn't a bad thing either when making long distance rides.

They have a gear indicator, and a fuel meter. Both are very useful.

They're not the fastest bike on the road, but they fair better than a GN250 and are nearly half the price of the racey 250cc bikes that are 10 years older with 6-10 times as many kms on the clock.

Getting hold of the service manual is next-to-impossible as they've been discontinued. Same goes with the owners manual... I've had one on back order for about three months.

Hope that helps...

gamgee
22nd September 2005, 15:32
why the hell have they been discontinued :cry: thats madness what are they replacing it with, and i hope your not going to say more gn's :baby: i'm so sick of the rediculous 250 market, it's basically expensive old sports bikes or new gn's, can't wait to get my licence so i can start buying proper bikes at proper prices

drafted
22nd September 2005, 21:21
They're not a bad bike... and originally retailed for around the $6k mark. There are usually one or three of them on sale on trademe for between $3500 and $4500. I picked up a 2004 model with 5200km for $3600. They were made in china and are an inline two. Very economic on the fuel, and fairly comfortable to ride. They're quite a large 250 in comparison to something like a CBR. But this isn't a bad thing if you're not a small person. They're about 180kg (which is fairly heavy), but this isn't a bad thing either when making long distance rides.

They have a gear indicator, and a fuel meter. Both are very useful.

They're not the fastest bike on the road, but they fair better than a GN250 and are nearly half the price of the racey 250cc bikes that are 10 years older with 6-10 times as many kms on the clock.

Getting hold of the service manual is next-to-impossible as they've been discontinued. Same goes with the owners manual... I've had one on back order for about three months.

Hope that helps...

Yeah ive been looking around, there usually seems to be a couple avail in auck on and off, you certainly got a good deal from the prices ive seen, im allowing up to $4500, im not the biggest dude but i prefer the heavier 250s, the gn wasnt exactly light and it worked well for me.

GR81
23rd September 2005, 10:12
I purchased one about 6 weeks ago.
2004 with 6000kms on the clock.
paid $5995 from a dealer tho but they gave me a reasonable price for my trade so i wasnt bothered too much.

The reason i went for the bike was i didnt want a thrashed CBR with 40,000kms on the clock. I wanted new and reliable and thats what the GSX has been so far. Its also quite a big bike which suits me fine as im 6foot2.

The bike isnt the fastest thing on the road but its definately not slow and a great bike to ride. A HUGE stepup from a GN250 !!! haha

If you're in auckland at any stage, contact me and take mine for a blast if you want, see what you think.

Aaron
24th September 2005, 09:13
I brought my 250 new earlier this year so got the owners manual with it. Can scan it for you if you're keen?

GR81
26th September 2005, 16:36
I brought my 250 new earlier this year so got the owners manual with it. Can scan it for you if you're keen?
yes please! :)

Aaron
26th September 2005, 22:48
Will get on it tomorrow after work.

WildBoarMouse
27th September 2005, 07:21
Don't know if you got my PM, but i'm sure there would be some very eager people... :) Thanks for the offer! Any chance of a hi-res pdf? Of course anything is better than nothing though!!!!! ;)

Aaron
27th September 2005, 18:57
I've uploaded some samples, the cover, some text and a couple of pages showing detailed graphics. They seem to come out alright.

Good suggestion re the PDF, I'll sort that out once I've finished scanning.

That's not ink transfer but txt/gfx showing through the pages. The manual paper is kinda glossy and quite thin. Also I've not properly cropped the images yet.

(BTW: No PM was received).

GR81
28th September 2005, 10:32
looks good...

Salival
28th September 2005, 14:42
I bought a new 2004 model GSX-250 in May of this year, paid $6,400 incl. ORC. Two year warranty was definitely a good selling point.

It's nice bike. Not exactly quick in bike terms, seems to handle pretty well though I don't have a lot to compare it to. It is large for a 250 as the chassis is from a 400cc model (so I am told).

Only problems I've had is a little rubbing on the front brakes, which isn't exactly ideal but doesn't seem to affect it too much, and if I haven't used it for a week or so it can get quite upset about starting. Need to hold the Start button for ages to get the fuel through, I think.

I don't find it particularly economical. My Starlet uses less petrol than the bike does, by miles. This is probably because I do quite a good chunk of my riding at 100ks, which is about 8,500-9,000 RPM, and I'm pretty certain that will suck the juice more than my 1300 Starlet! I've done about 4,500ks on it, as I ride quite a bit, and it's just starting to 'pink' above about 11,000 RPM, which is a pain as the bike's only starting to make power there. (This will probably be fixed when I take it in for a service soonish.)

All in all I'm pretty happy with it, even if it is slow. It's comfortable too, although riding for a couple of hours still gives me a sore ass. That might be my n00bness more than anything, though.

Aaron
28th September 2005, 22:30
Hi and welcome to the board :)

It is large for a 250 as the chassis is from a 400cc model (so I am told).
Yeah, parked mine next to an spanking new R1 at the gym tonight and saw that it's taller and longer than the R1.

Only problems I've had is a little rubbing on the front brakes, which isn't exactly ideal but doesn't seem to affect it too much
I've also had this from new. Mine's going in for the 6k service next week and this is being looked at specifically. The guy had a quick look when I booked it in and said the front discs are suppose to be floating and the 'rubbing' sound could be if one of the wee whoosits is a bit tight. He showed me on another bike nearby and there is definately a difference, no travel in my front disc vs about 1mm in this other bike.

All in all I'm pretty happy with it, even if it is slow.
Can still lose your licence on it... :(

GR81
29th September 2005, 08:42
Only problems I've had is a little rubbing on the front brakes, which isn't exactly ideal but doesn't seem to affect it too much, and if I haven't used it for a week or so it can get quite upset about starting. Need to hold the Start button for ages to get the fuel through, I think.
I have the same problem with the front brakes... took it in for its 6k service 3 weeks ago and they said the very minor rubbing is fine.

As for the slow starting... i found that out last night... 2 weeks between rides due to the bad weather and it took a bit to get started... the FXR was also a bit like that too.

I like the large chassis size... works well when you're 6foot+

Aaron
29th September 2005, 10:14
I like the large chassis size... works well when you're 6foot+
:yes:

Having issues getting use to the super sports I've been 'test sitting' after riding the GSX they seem really small.

ducatilover
29th September 2005, 22:07
Hi everyone, Ive just joined up here, because Im looking at buying a bike. I owned a GN250 a couple of years back, and im looking at another bike. Can anyone shed any light on the 2003 gsx-250. Are they cheaper than most other 250s in relation to their year because they are only a 2 cylinder? Is there any other reason why? Can any owners here give me some feedback? Im not after a superfast bike, something thats reliable, will get me to tauranga, or auckland easily from Hams. Any feedback or recomendations on other like bikes would be appreciated.i test rode a gsx250 a 2002 she was....it certainly leaned well, although my 86 gpz400r was to me a much better bike but thats now dead.....the gsx cruises at 120+ pretty well, but i only weigh 55kg. i really liked it and it was luxury compared to my gn, i would definately recomend it as a starer/learner over the gn...

GR81
30th September 2005, 10:33
Aaron, hows that user manual coming along? :)

Aaron
30th September 2005, 10:38
Aaron, hows that user manual coming along? :)
Have full access to the scanner tonight, so will do the remaining pages and make it available later this evening... (could be as late as 11pm).

I have no where to host the PDF and/or images so anyone who would like a copy please PM your email address.

Aaron.

GR81
30th September 2005, 11:50
i can host them for you, PM sent :)

WildBoarMouse
3rd October 2005, 06:33
Whoops... amazing the progress that gets made when you're away for a few days. Those look like really good scans! Thanks Aaron!!! How's the hosting going GR81? Also, if you need a second host, just let me know and i'll throw it up on an FTP server. You can email me at darcywatoscmardotcodotnz

WildBoarMouse
6th October 2005, 06:01
Hey guys! How's the hosting going? Any chance we could please get a copy of this? :psst:

Thanks! :)

GR81
6th October 2005, 07:53
I havent heard back from Aaron about it yet... i think he is missing in action... will let you know as soon as it happens

WildBoarMouse
7th October 2005, 20:07
Hey guys... my owners manual arrived today!!! :p

Scanned, OCR'd and all the rest. Wiring loom diagram also scanned in from the service manual.

New thread...
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=371061#post371061

andrea
18th May 2006, 21:56
hey bud ive got a gsx250, its a pretty cool bike to ride, ive see one at colemans suzuki going for about 4500 the same as mine, some colour etc.
mine is due in for a service ahem, ive only had it since december last year, no problems as yet.:Punk: "knock on wood"

WildBoarMouse
18th May 2006, 22:12
They're a good bike! A little tinny but a nice large bike to learn on. Glad your enjoying it! :) Have you got pannier bags? Do you have the tool kit for the bike?

andrea
19th May 2006, 21:41
nope I didn't get any bags or a tool kit, Ive been after the bike manual from
redbaron, but they keep saying that they have misplaced it.
Im thinking of getting of those cool looking carbon fibre backpacks, the ones that you store your laptop in it.
:shifty:
its my first bike and I love it, but hmm I feel the need for more power though, Im sitting my restricted in june and getting my fulls in three months, well I hope lol.
then Im after the kawasaki zx636r. <_< by or before the end of the year.

WildBoarMouse
19th May 2006, 22:37
PM sent :)

SirRacer
12th July 2006, 12:57
ive just bought one as well and it seems prices have increased for them

mines an 04 with 7500 on the clock and i paid 4800 for it. is in mint condition and came with packs and a rack (which was taken off the next day) and owners manual etc

i put 23 dollars in it the other day and have so far got 215 kms with no problems.

im relatively big, 6'1 90+ kgs and it suits me as its not small like the rest. if i wanted to go fast id buy a zx6r and let the cops chase me:yes:

dorbs
25th July 2006, 10:48
Yea i brought mine one month ago and it cost me $4000 with only 780kms on it.

Gets me around 250kms on a tank which is just under $20 to fill

McJim
25th July 2006, 11:10
I persuaded a mate of mine to get in to bikes last month - he bought a 2004 GSX250. I think it's a good looking bike - he's just had it serviced and cannot get the smile off his face. You may find these machines much maligned on other threads here but I think these are good looking first bikes or even something to move onto from a basic bike before you enter the realms of the Big Toys.
The story of the GSX250 is all too familiar though - transcript from the Suzuki factory. "Hey Boss-san, we have sold nearly as many GSX250's as the old Katana 250's"
"What? Discontinue immediatery and design somthing not as good...quickry!"

Freakshow
25th July 2006, 11:28
I gotta bargin on mine and it has been an interesting time. It has been fun to ride and learn on but had some issues with cracked forks. Be warned that finding parts is near impossible as no wreckers have them as most people who break them hold on to them and sell them on trademe. so its a wait and seewhat pops up. they do however hold there value.

carver
19th September 2006, 22:59

I got 2 x 250's, for sale, both twins, check the bike trader on here