PDA

View Full Version : Any opinions on a honda Transalp

fishb8nz
21st September 2005, 21:42
Just keeping my options open. This bike is a possibility for a commute/tourer - is it?
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Adventure-dual-purpose/auction-35558656.htm

ducatilover
21st September 2005, 21:50
no way, be sensible....go into eternal debt and get a real bike, eg :scooter:

:puke: on the honda :no: .

James Deuce
21st September 2005, 21:56
Ignore the 12 year old above. The Transalp would be perfect for what you want it for.

Motu
21st September 2005, 22:02
A Transalp comes near as damit to the perfect bike,take it for a ride and you'll be sold.

TwoSeven
21st September 2005, 22:05
Does anyone here own one. They have been around for years, but you dont tend to hear much about them.

boomer
21st September 2005, 22:05
i like 'em; Saw a Beema GS 650 at work today, they're kinda funky too

Motu
21st September 2005, 22:25
I owned it's big brother,the XLV750 for 5 yrs,selling it Xmas last year.I had ridden a Transalp and was looking for one - but after being on the XLV750 the search was off,I'd found the best bike in the world.The Transalp need a tad more poke,the 650 might be just right,but have never riden one.Oldrider has got one,he'll mosey in shortly I'd say.

Hitcher
22nd September 2005, 08:55
Buy the Transalp.

Badcat
22nd September 2005, 09:10
i've owned both the africa twin 750 (bigger bore same motor) and the bros 650 (exact same motor), and it's a beautiful engine.
the transalp feels a lot nippier than the Africa Twin, and the motor is smoother.
it's a very well designed, well behaved and competant bike.
most transalp owners RAVE about them and would never forsake them.
that has to say something...

buy it.

k

thehollowmen
22nd September 2005, 10:41
I loved the transalp, but to tell the truth I prefered the weeee be more power I got with the Vstrom. Need it with the 200kg of two people on board.

Transalp was a close second. Comfortable, runs up gravel roads like nothing else, good on petrol...

yeah I loved it.

Hitcher
22nd September 2005, 11:17
Ahh. The V-Strom. The forgotten Suzuki.

Sniper
22nd September 2005, 11:33
Fantastic bike. Im not even into tourers like that but if I had the oppertunity I would own one.

rogson
22nd September 2005, 14:14
Transalp 600 - good general purpose bike for solo use, albeit a bit boring.
Not enough poke for two-up touring.

oldrider
3rd October 2005, 13:32
Just keeping my options open. This bike is a possibility for a commute/tourer - is it?
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Adventure-dual-purpose/auction-35558656.htm
Hi fishb8nz, I own a 650 Transalp. The transalp is a highly underrated middle of the field bike. IMO. It depends what in a bike is most important to you. For me I love all bikes and would own one of each if I had the means. I don't.
With the T/A I can dabble in all. Jack of all trades master of none fits the T/A and I am comfortable with that. It will do 180kph flat out all bloody day if you want it to. It keeps up with the pack in a group ride. It's great to tour on two up. Carries plenty of luggage. Cruise range is 300/350km per tank. Covers any kind of road conditions with ease. Servicing is minimal and easy. Tyres are easy to get and not too expensive.
Centre stand is an extra but easy to fit. The seat on mine was the most uncomfortable bastard of thing I have ever encountered, got that changed. They(T/A) tend to be too high geared for me even up one rear tooth on the back sprocket is not enough (Couldn't get a 50 tooth stock sprocket) for me. The bike is actually slightly faster with the extra back tooth. 180kph @ 8000rpm but I guess the fuel consumption will suffer a little, haven't checked that yet.
If you want an opinion of a BMW 650 rider (about the T/A) PM PLUG on the forum. We rode over the Dansey Pass together. At least he will not be Honda biased like me. Hope I have been of some help. Cheers John.

ManDownUnder
3rd October 2005, 13:36
It'll do what you want, it has a good engine and lowish miles (24k in 9 years... sounds low but who knows).

Get it checked, take it for a test ride.

I'd expect it to be just fine. If it's only the age that's keeping the price down - I'd say buy it. It won;t depreciate too fast (it's already old)

MDU

fishb8nz
7th October 2005, 10:24
Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to check out a 2003 Suzy Freewind (6500 km) as the seat height is adjustable. It's not as good a bike as the TA so it's going to be a close call.
Can you lower the ride height on a Transalp - that could be a decider as I can only get my feet on the ground on tip-toes (being a short-arse) and that makes around town work a struggle.

XP@
1st November 2005, 13:34
I have a friend in germany (works for BMW) with a transalp. it has 240,000+ km's on the clock and still going strong. It has been ridden in more countries than I can name and he is a clutz when it comes to repairs / maintenence.

Go for it, it will be a lot stronger than the freewind.

edit: if the seat seems too high, get some crash protectors, then learn to pick it up, after a while using tip toes is not too big an issue

HenryDorsetCase
1st November 2005, 20:27
Ahh. The V-Strom. The forgotten Suzuki.

Whats a "Strom" again?

XP@
1st November 2005, 23:37
Whats a "Strom" again?
a village in sweden
http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichelin/gbr/dyn/controller/mapPerformPage?pim=true&act=RefineToMap&rnd=1130844734031&E_mg=210505306kS2J405305123145630206MAPB2C16103gbr 542000130q1103eur0007U3Ryb2000001100&stat=ambiguous_map&google=1&strChoice=1

My ex's mum & dad used to live about 5km's west, and it is the only place i have ever ridden a Harley

Bonez
2nd November 2005, 04:57
Go for it. If the seats too high you should be able to have it reshaped. I see the trumpy triple is still in the shop. What do they want for it now? It was $8000 last time I looked.

Macktheknife
3rd November 2005, 10:38
I rode a transAlp not long ago and it was a bit older than this one with much higher Ks, super comfy ride but lacked a bit of power for my taste. I also rode the Vstrom 650 and found it even more comfy with a respectable amount of power. If you want super comfy and power go for the Vstrom, if you want super comfy and real off road ability go for the T/A. Vstrom is ok off road but T/A is better by all reports.

inlinefour
3rd November 2005, 12:06

go for it. Plenty of people who are happy to tell you what they think you should ride...

ducatilover
3rd November 2005, 20:12
buy a bros 650 or an nt650, i like them and they are very good handling[compared to a gpz400r ninja and a gn250] :niceone:

Motu
3rd November 2005, 20:47
It's not so much about power with these bikes,but about pace - point to point you can attain a higher average speed over a variety of conditions,you don't need to back off for anything,it just does it.

XP@
4th November 2005, 09:58
It's not so much about power with these bikes,but about pace - point to point you can attain a higher average speed over a variety of conditions,you don't need to back off for anything,it just does it.
Totally agree with you there! the first time i did a rusty GC (1000 miles) I was amazed to see an MV Augusta F4 taking exactly the same time (well within 2 minutes) as me on my faithful F650. :woohoo:

And then there are all the times when the seal and turned in to gravel, the gravel had run out and turned in to mud and the mud has run out and turned in to sand and the sand has run out ...

fishb8nz
11th November 2005, 16:59
The CEO has decided I want to spend more than she's happy so I'm deferring my purchase until next (2006) spring. This way I can save up and have enough to buy a bike, possibly new, and all the toys such as centre stand, heated grips, high level screen, chain oiler and good riding gear. Just hope I'm not dead by then!