PDA

View Full Version : Total loss fxr

Calvert86
9th June 2015, 17:22
So pulled the generator cover off today for a look and was thinking about going total loss...
Am I right in thinking I can remove the stator coil, pickup coil, starter motor and shaft, starter driven gear and starter clutch behind the generator rotor?
Generator rotor can have the magnets removed but I probably won't do this step as don't have access to a lathe for a few weeks!

Does this sound right?

Can't find a complete thread on this but seems a popular mod?

Calvert86

Yow Ling
9th June 2015, 17:28
everything you have said is the correct way to go to total loss. Except for removing pickup coil, which tells the cdi when to spark
what are you looking to gain?
I would do the opposite, ditch the battery, keep the stator, rectifier, get rid of the starter gear
that way you don't need spare batteries, never don't finish a race because of bad battery management, bike starts after being neglected for weeks

Calvert86
9th June 2015, 17:48
Was mainly looking for some weight saving and generally just playing with the bike over winter! Have heard engine feels more responsive with total loss but open to suggestions on improvements.
Don't have a starter button so figured I may as well loose the starter motor?
On opening it up all looks fairly accessible so thought should ask here before I do too much damage

Calvert86

Grumph
9th June 2015, 19:48
On opening it up all looks fairly accessible so thought should ask here before I do too much damage
Calvert86

A rare and unusual approach....Mr Ling knows of what he speaks, listen well.

Calvert86
9th June 2015, 20:10
Well think I will follow mr Ling's advice and get that boxed back up tomorrow!

Calvert86

Askor
9th June 2015, 20:48
30mm frost plug makes a good replacement for the starter motor

Calvert86
9th June 2015, 21:43
Thanks Askor hadn't thought about that!!

Calvert86

mr bucketracer
10th June 2015, 08:09
the old mans has no flywheel now , it snaped off :(

F5 Dave
10th June 2015, 10:19
Plenty of reports of extra power from removal, but I will tell you one thing for sure. More races have been mullered from creeping misfire & refusal to start than they have been won from a tickle more power. Unless you are one of those obsessives or have a factory mechanic to tend to your vehicle you will have battery problems. You will turn up to meetings with the good battery still at home on charge

& that "I thought it was new battery. . . .well it was a little while ago" . . .will fail & be a drag.

So are you an obsessive?

I make all my bikes push & go. Only have to remember air & gas (& pack both boots) & concentrate on riding.

Calvert86
10th June 2015, 14:21
Plenty of reports of extra power from removal, but I will tell you one thing for sure. More races have been mullered from creeping misfire & refusal to start than they have been won

So are you an obsessive?

I make all my bikes push & go. Only have to remember air & gas (& pack both boots) & concentrate on riding.

Thanks Dave,
I'm going to take mr Ling's advice and just remove starter motor, gears and clutch from behind flywheel... Hopefully be best of both worlds this way.
Just struggling to get the flywheel bolt off at the moment as I don't have the proper tools I thought a strap wrench would do it but no luck yet!!

Calvert86

F5 Dave
10th June 2015, 15:02
Best thing I have for those is a Vicegrip with some chain on it, you can get them from Supercheap for like $30ish.
You will then need a flywheel puller which can be bought online from Torpedo 7 or local bike shop. Don't try some hoady 3 legged puller, you'll root it & this puller will be used many times if you don't lose it. Actually I'll refrain that comment, these flywheels are inside the case on the FXR, I'm thinking typical 2 stroker so can't remember, maybe they're just key'd.

Yow Ling
10th June 2015, 15:19
Just get a flywheel tool and use that, anything else will just cause heartbreak. Alixpress, torpedo 7 , or that most ancient thing the motorbike shop will have them

Calvert86
10th June 2015, 16:23
Tried the ancient motorbike shop but no luck today!! Maybe leaving the starter motor in isn't so bad!!!

Calvert86

Askor
10th June 2015, 17:50
Don't use a 3 jaw puller...ask me how I know

Note to self: don't use a 3 jaw puller to get flywheels off!!

I was cranking and cranking and it wasn't moving much, then all of a sudden BOOM it came apart, tools flying, the flywheel clattering along the floor

Fuck! Gave me one hell of a fright

Henk
10th June 2015, 17:58
Tried the ancient motorbike shop but no luck today!! Maybe leaving the starter motor in isn't so bad!!!

Calvert86

I think Pumba took away all the supporting electrics but left the motor and mechanicals, on days that the bike was being " temperamental" he'd hook the jump pack from the car to the motor instead of running up and down pushing it, sweating and swearing.

mr bucketracer
10th June 2015, 18:48
all these guys are messing with your mind :Pokey: i have a puller , go to it:drinkup:

Calvert86
10th June 2015, 19:30
If I hadn't bought the frost plug today I'd abandon this project...but will figure it out!

Calvert86

TALLIS
11th June 2015, 16:10
Put the side cover back on, remove starter motor, tap frost plug in with a socket and light smear of sealant around the edge. Job done. Don't worry about removing the rest of the shit behind the flywheel. Leave that for when you really get carried away

seymour14
11th June 2015, 16:15
Put the side cover back on, remove starter motor, tap frost plug in with a socket and light smear of sealant around the edge. Job done. Don't worry about removing the rest of the shit behind the flywheel. Leave that for when you really get carried away

Yes to that, if you start getting carried away at this point, there is no hope for you later...

Speaking of which, I will be posting pictures tonight to prove my point.:crazy:

TALLIS
11th June 2015, 16:29
Yes to that, if you start getting carried away at this point, there is no hope for you later...

Don't do that, or we all might have something to share :innocent:

mr bucketracer
11th June 2015, 16:38
until your kick ass the nitro can go in later

TALLIS
11th June 2015, 16:46
until your kick ass the nitro can go in later

Nitro? That's highly illegal, if I start getting desperate I may look into it.....

Calvert86
11th June 2015, 17:42

Look forward to the pics! On a course today and tomorrow so gives me time to have a think! Would like to get flywheel off and rest of gearing out but will see how it looks Saturday!

New exhaust arrived today so can have a look at fitting that over the weekend!

2 weeks off before heading to the UK for 6 weeks and would like to have the bike back together and looking like a bucket before I go...mainly to keep the misses happy!

Calvert86

Yow Ling
11th June 2015, 21:02
Nitro? That's highly illegal, if I start getting desperate I may look into it.....

So now there is different kinds of illegal, I suppose Highly illegal must be the worst, much worse than sorta illegal and a little worse than pretty illegal

cotswold
11th June 2015, 21:10
I think Pumba took away all the supporting electrics but left the motor and mechanicals, on days that the bike was being " temperamental" he'd hook the jump pack from the car to the motor instead of running up and down pushing it, sweating and swearing.

pumba would never run :nono:

Askor
12th June 2015, 00:18
I've heard if you don't remove the starter clutch it can make some horrible noises, it wont damage anything but sounds weird.

I haven't experienced this first hand however, having removed mine, so it's just speculation you could say

Edit: that's if you only remove the starter

Pumba
12th June 2015, 21:47
pumba would never run :nono:

Man this just seems un-necessarily hash.:wacko:

F5 Dave
12th June 2015, 22:14
Hash browns?

Calvert86
12th June 2015, 23:10

Pumba teach us the wisdom to build a bucket and stop all these silly questions!

Calvert86

Henk
13th June 2015, 18:50

Especially coming from a guy that keeps trying to relegate himself to B grade because he thinks I'm trying to run him over.

cotswold
14th June 2015, 01:19
Especially coming from a guy that keeps trying to relegate himself to B grade because he thinks I'm trying to run him over.

that would imply I would be in front of you which is very unlikely

liambucket
1st March 2016, 12:47
So from reading this Total Loss isn't a very swift idea? My CB is total loss at the moment (haven't had it on track yet though). So I should expect to have to bring a spare battery? or few?

mr bucketracer
1st March 2016, 13:05
So from reading this Total Loss isn't a very swift idea? My CB is total loss at the moment (haven't had it on track yet though). So I should expect to have to bring a spare battery? or few?1 new battery will be fine , can do 2 days of racing on my bucket

chrisc
1st March 2016, 16:02
Unfortunately 2 FXR buckets and 1 RS125 I have are total loss. I much much prefer never to have to deal with it but to be honest I've never had any issues with any of them.
I carry spare batteries and keep them charged. Will race all day with them no problem.

timg
1st March 2016, 20:54
Unfortunately 2 FXR buckets and 1 RS125 I have are total loss. I much much prefer never to have to deal with it but to be honest I've never had any issues with any of them.
I carry spare batteries and keep them charged. Will race all day with them no problem. My FXR's have been total loss as a result of charging system problems. Never had a problem with total loss. Easily does 2 day meetings without charging. I've been told that total loss can affect power if/as the battery voltage drops a little compared to a continuously charged battery always at the correct voltage. However tl works for me. Cheers.

Calvert86
1st March 2016, 21:07
Scott helped sort the total loss on mine and easily get a full weekend out of it! Carry the old battery to inflate the air bed/ backup battery for weekends...no issues with total loss just my riding!

Calvert86

richban
10th March 2016, 06:05
I carry spare batteries and keep them charged. Will race all day with them no problem.

What size batteries are people using? I have a small 4ah in the 50 but I am thinking this is to small?

Grumph
10th March 2016, 06:29
What size batteries are people using? I have a small 4ah in the 50 but I am thinking this is to small?

Depends how long your races are. I've never struck an ignition which drew more than 1.5 amps. Put a multi meter in circuit and fire it up to see what the draw is and go from there. As a rough rule of thumb, assuming 1.5amp draw, I'd put your 4ah as being good for around 1/2 hour before you may strike low voltage problems.

chrisc
10th March 2016, 10:21
Have a 6.7 on the FXR (only because that's what came with it) and a 4.7 on the RS125.

Henk
10th March 2016, 19:23

The FXR runs fine on a D cell so it should work for you as well.

F5 Dave
10th March 2016, 20:16
Mine has just a 2200 uf cap.

OK and a eensy charging system.

Henk
10th March 2016, 21:25
Mine has just a 2200 uf cap. 220 uF weighs less.

Fixed it for you

F5 Dave
11th March 2016, 06:08
Ahh, don't understand?
I just stayed the same as the CR250 set up. If the smoothing cap isn't big enough the mean voltage will be lower and significantly spikier.

Autech
11th March 2016, 09:12
My FXR has this battery:
http://www.batterytender.com/Batteries/120-CCA-Lithium-Engine-Start-Battery.html

Guy I bought it off said it ran well and never gave him any issues on a race day. I will reserve my judgement on that though and see if it is worth the hassle. The day I miss out on racing due to a battery failure :2guns:...